OU Lopunny [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
All-Out-Attacker
########
name: All-Out-Attacker
move 1: High Jump Kick
move 2: Return
move 3: Fake Out / Substitute
move 4: Power-Up-Punch / Ice Punch / Healing Wish
ability: Limber
item: Lopunnite
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant / Jolly

Substitute Attacker
########
name: Substitute
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Encore / Baton Pass / Ice Punch

I'd merge the first two sets, and keep the Substitute set as it is. I've been playing around with these sets a bit, and I've found Toxic to be rather lacking in terms of usefulness on the first set. More than often, I ended up clicking Return or HJK rather than Toxic, even if the opponent had a Slowbro / Landorus-T. Now that Greninja is banned Adamant is also viable, and it is great for 2HKOing stuff like mixed defensive Clefable and Celebi. I've also found, like Aim said, Fake Out + PuP to be great against both offense and balance. Thoughts, aim, Jukain, AM, ben gay?

Last edited:
In my opinion Ice Punch should either always be the last slash or even just have a mention in moves. When I have it I honestly find myself clicking it the least as the only targets hit harder by it - 4X; so Garchomp, Lando-I, Lando-T, Dragonite and Gliscor - are either not seen as much, are demolished by Return/HJK anyway, or I just in general do not like using Lopunny against them. In that regard I'd see Ice Punch as the most niche option.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Added Fake Out to the PuP set and Quick Attack to the Fake Out set.

The big problem I have with combining the Fake Out and PuP sets is that they don't really fit on the same teams or require the same teammates. I feel like Fake Out fits more on HO which doesn't need Lopunny to be able to wallbreak, while PuP is more for bulkier teams, and PuP's ability to actually threaten defensive teams and weaken physical walls a lot more easily has a pretty big impact on both teambuilding and playing with it.

Then again, I'm really tempted to make PuP+Fake Out the first set since it's overral the most effective and threatening set imo, getting an attack boost basically turns Lopunny into a full-on cleaner and Fake Out is just extremely useful in general. I guess I could just remove the first set, replace it with PuP+Fake Out and just mention Sub / Toxic / Ice Punch / HW / QA etc as other options for moves, since no matter what you're running as filler on the Fake Out set it always feels overall inferior to PuP to me. Or simply just separate the sets with PuP and without PuP into two sets because they tend to function differently in general. Then again PuP+Fake Out and PuP+Heal Bell function slightly differently too so idk.

Last edited:
I would slash on the PuP set Fake Out with Substitute. The main issue with Substitute is that Lopunny actually finds very few times it can safely set up a sub against the majority of teams, the only purpose it really serves is blocking wisp from Sableye, although it requires a free switch anyway and most teams should be packing a more reliable way of breaking through Megaeye anyway. With Fake Out, not only does Lopunny safely mega-evolve, it also finds more opportunities to setup as most mons expecting the Fake Out will be forced out, meaning you get a free Attack boost more often than not.

EDIT: Fuck you Albacore , I leave to take a shit and you steal my thunder

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
All-Out-Attacker
########
name: All-Out-Attacker
move 3: Fake Out / Substitute
move 4: Power-Up-Punch / Ice Punch / Healing Wish

Substitute Attacker
########
move 4: Encore / Baton Pass / Ice Punch

I'd merge the first two sets, and keep the Substitute set as it is. I've been playing around with these sets a bit, and I've found Toxic to be rather lacking in terms of usefulness on the first set. More than often, I ended up clicking Return or HJK rather than Toxic, even if the opponent had a Slowbro / Landorus-T. Now that Greninja is banned Adamant is also viable, and it is great for 2HKOing stuff like mixed defensive Clefable and Celebi. I've also found, like Aim said, Fake Out + PuP to be great against both offense and balance. Thoughts, aim, Jukain, AM, ben gay?
Yeah this looks good TheEnder I agree.

I know it's pretty autism, but what do you guys think about klutz + assvest? It was a pretty shit gimmick back in XY but now that Lopunny has a mega evolution it does have a surprise factor to it and doesn't take up a mega evolution. Pokemon that hard-counter the regular mega-punny sets such as Skarm, Hippo, Cress, and Chesnaught to some extent, and other random support mons such as Klefki, are rendered relatively useless for the rest of the match when tricked into assvest. It's not completely useless after assvest is tricked away either, it still has a reasonably fast heal bell and healing wish, and can use baton pass for pivoting out and passing boosts.
It's definitely OO material at best, but i felt like bringing it up anyway.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I know it's pretty autism, but what do you guys think about klutz + assvest? It was a pretty shit gimmick back in XY but now that Lopunny has a mega evolution it does have a surprise factor to it and doesn't take up a mega evolution. Pokemon that hard-counter the regular mega-punny sets such as Skarm, Hippo, Cress, and Chesnaught to some extent, and other random support mons such as Klefki, are rendered relatively useless for the rest of the match when tricked into assvest. It's not completely useless after assvest is tricked away either, it still has a reasonably fast heal bell and healing wish, and can use baton pass for pivoting out and passing boosts.
It's definitely OO material at best, but i felt like bringing it up anyway.
No, Lopunny is only viable as a Mega due to scrappy as well as the significantly greater speed and power.
You said it yourself, that sounds like a really shitty gimmick. Not even close to OO material.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been running Heal Bell on the Fake Out set to reasonable success. I know that it is getting v. slashy, but it should probably go there due to how susceptible it is to burns and (post-mega) paralysis. Also it is very benefitial to hyper offensive teams (similar to Healing Wish in that regard) except that it exchanges the full healing factor for a reusable status clearer.

If you don't want to slash it 'cause move 4 would have 5 slashes, it would be best to slash it and relegate Quick Attack to moves/OO. It just seems so insanely situational (i.e. requiring the [insert scarfer/faster attacker not called M-Beedrill (#Get2HKO'dByJolly) here] to be significantly weakened to have any major effect (cause chip damage isn't really how Lopunny generally functions on HO teams) AND Lopunny to have already been in for more than one turn) and IMO not worth it on most teams.

I've been running Heal Bell on the Fake Out set to reasonable success. I know that it is getting v. slashy, but it should probably go there due to how susceptible it is to burns and (post-mega) paralysis. Also it is very benefitial to hyper offensive teams (similar to Healing Wish in that regard) except that it exchanges the full healing factor for a reusable status clearer.

If you don't want to slash it 'cause move 4 would have 5 slashes, it would be best to slash it and relegate Quick Attack to moves/OO. It just seems so insanely situational (i.e. requiring the [insert scarfer/faster attacker not called M-Beedrill (#Get2HKO'dByJolly) here] to be significantly weakened to have any major effect (cause chip damage isn't really how Lopunny generally functions on HO teams) AND Lopunny to have already been in for more than one turn) and IMO not worth it on most teams.
Heal Bell is a huge momentum killer on hyper offensive teams. Healing Wish is not a momentum killer because it brings a teammate in safely, whereas Heal Bell can be especially risky when facing offensive teams, where Mega Lopunny may not be able to safely pull off a Heal Bell.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I consolidated the first 2 sets like TheEnder suggested. However, I decided not to slash PuP with anything simply because not running PuP changes the way Lopunny functions and what team support it wants quite a bit.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
  • On the All Out Attacker set, include what moves the options mentioned in the Moves section are supposed to be used over. For the record, Toxic and Healing Wish are options over Power Up Punch. Ice Punch, Quick Attack, and Facade are options over Fake Out / Substitute. Drain Punch is an option over High Jump Kick.
  • Elaborate a bit on the C&C section: bulky Fairy-types such as Clefable and defenisve Altaria fear little-to-nothing from Lopunny, TankChomp deals a ton of damage with recoil, and Celebi beats it.
  • Mention hard-hitting wallbreakers such as Diggersby, Landorus and Gengar as good teammates. Weakening Ferrothorn, Slowbro, Clefable, Gliscor, and Hippowdon is very much appreciated.
1/3, good job

Albacore

I wouldn't really say that Ice Punch and Quick Attack necessarily have to be used over Fake Out/Sub, Fake Out+Quick Attack is actually a pretty legitimate option on Lopunny for revenge kiling stuff while Fake Out+Ice Punch was actually the standard set for a while. Implemented the rest though.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I talked to some QC members a few days back and we agreed that this analysis is kind of a jumbled mess. This is what the sets should look like:

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 3: Fake Out
move 4: Power-Up Punch / Ice Punch
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Substitute
########
move 4: Encore / Baton Pass

The first set is standard. Fake Out is the best option by far, generally, for Lopunny, as it helps greatly in Mega Evolving and can provide crucial extra damage. The last slot is just a choice between PuP and Ice Punch, pretty basic. Ice Punch definitely deserves a slash, as hitting Landorus-T, Gliscor, and tank Garchomp (which is growing very common) is extremely useful. Substitute shouldn't be slashed on the first set because there's an entire set called 'Substitute' that you have already. You're mentioning way too many options is moves. The alternate STAB options (Drain Punch, Low Kick, and Facade) are OO at best due to their sheer lack of power. Heal Bell isn't really effective at all for a Pokemon that's being used on offensive teams, which aren't exactly looking for a cleric. I don't even understand the purpose of Quick Attack at all because it's weak, and you'll generally be going for Fake Out + strong attack as you outspeed the opposing Pokemon. If you don't outspeed, it's rare that you're going to want to go for Fake Out then Quick Attack. Quick Attack on its own is fairly mediocre as it's weak and doesn't accomplish much. It doesn't help Lopunny break defensive foes, support its teammates, or even deal with the Pokemon even faster than Lopunny that is supposed to hit. The only real application is against super weakened foes and beating Talonflame after it has taken SR damage in a 1v1 scenario, both of which are rather contrived examples because Lopunny is so fast. The only moves that should be in this section are Healing Wish and maybe Toxic because those are the only options that are actually viable enough to be listed there.

The Sub + 3 attacks set is just slightly revised. Ice Punch is removed because Sub + 3 attacks just isn't a good option at all. The whole purpose of Sub is being safer against bulkier builds with the likes of Encore/PuP (which should be in Moves) or passing it. Fake Out has so much utility that it's not really worth using Substitute when it's not helping against bulkier builds at all.

Albacore

I like the way the sets look a lot more now, but the fact that Substitute+PuP isn't included on any of the sets really bothers me. Should I slash PuP on the Substitute set?

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sub PuP shouldn't be included on a main set. All Sub really does for PuP is make it safer to set up, but Fake Out is generally better because of its overall utility against offense.

I am unsure if mentioning Wish support is the best option for Mega Lopunny. Sure, Alomomola may be able to handle many of Mega Lopunny's checks, but keep in mind that Alomomola is a huge momentum killer and has no form of offensive pressure whatsoever aside from a really weak Scald. I guess if you wanted to change Wish passers to Specially Defensive Jirachi, who is capable of handling Clefable for Lopunny, whereas Lopunny can scare off Tyranitar and Bisharp back, then that would make much more sense. But as of now, I do not think Alomomola is the best fit for Lopunny as a teammate. If you mention Specially Defensive Jirachi as a teammate, specify that this only applies to balanced teams that want some form of defensive backbone.

roscoe

tfw i’ll never be good enough
is a Contributor Alumnus
mention that alomomomola is definitely a momentum killer as the dude above me said and that Jirachi is definitely a nice partner as it deals with clefable for lopunny (as mentioned above) once you implement those changes consider it a 3/3

just adding on to liberty, mention that adamant allows lopunny to 2hko mixed defense clefable and get rid of jolly lopunny being able to outspeed hawlucha, because adamant can do the same. get rid of poison types in checks and counters because that falls under physical walls and the mons u mentioned can easily be muscled through with a little support.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Albacore make sure to run this by the GP team now that it's GP ready along with adding in liberty and ben gays comments.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Friendly neighborhood reminder that in analyses, "you" are not a Pokemon, and therefore "you" can't have perfect neutral coverage in Return and High Jump Kick, "you" can't have Limber to avoid paralyses pre-Mega, and so on and so forth.

Just replace second-person instances like these with "Lopunny" or something, and also fix your spaces Between sentences so our fellows in GP don't get aneurysms, haha

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
add/correct remove comments
Overview
########
After the release of ORAS, Mega Lopunny quickly cemented itself as one of the best new Mega Evolutions in OU. Its excellent Speed tier enables it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame, and it has access to 2 powerful STAB moves backed up by a very respectable base 136 Attack. Furthermore, Scrappy gives it perfect coverage with its dual STABs alone (bar Shedninja, [ac] which who is extremely uncommon in OU), giving it 2 completely free slots where it can fit Fake Out, Power-Up Punch, Substitute, Ice Punch, Encore, Baton Pass, and more. Its combination of Speed and power make it an excellent tool to use against offensive teams, and while its access to Power-Up Punch and Encore make it of use against more defensive teams too, though it struggles to break past many physically defensive Pokemon due to its lack of raw power and the large number of Fighting resists, [ac] which feature on these types of teams. Finally, an immunity to Ghost and a resistance to Dark give it opportunities to switch in on the likes of Gengar and Bisharp. [add space] It is, [ac] however, [ac] rather frail, holding little defensive prowess due to its lack of bulk and resistances. It is also easily worn down by residual damage, entry hazards, [ac] and High Jump Kick recoil.

All-Out Attacker
########

Moves
========
High Jump Kick is Lopunny's most powerful STAB move and, [rc] Return is its most reliable STAB move; [semi > comma] and the two combined have perfect coverage together thanks to Scrappy. Fake Out is a great move on Lopunny, getting chip damage on faster attackers that which can threaten Lopunny out as well as slower ones that who are able to live one hit from it otherwise. It also enables Lopunny to Mega Evolve against faster Pokemon than you such as Latios and Keldeo. Finally, it enables Lopunny to emergency check sweepers such as like Rock Polish Landorus and Mega-[remove hyphen] Gyarados in a pinch, [rc] if the team have no other option for stopping them sweeping than to continuously rack up Fake Out damage. Power-Up Punch is Lopunny's best physical boosting move. It enables it Lopunny to break past physical walls that who are too passive to stop it from setting up, [rc] and puts a lot of pressure on defensive teams in general. Ice Punch OHKOes Choice [when used as a verb, OHKO is spelled with an e; you would use OHKOs as a noun such as in "It scores a lot of OHKOs"] Scarf Landorus-T and offensive Garchomp, [rc] and 2HKOes both of these Pokemon's [change apostrophe] defensive variants. Substitute can be used over Fake Out,[rc] it and enables Lopunny to take advantage of the switches it causes and makes it more useful against bulkier teams; [semi > comma] specifically, it Substitute helps against Protect users such as Ferrothorn and Heatran. It pairs up very well with Power-Up Punch, giving Lopunny protection against status and the ability to scout for switches. Specifically, it Substitute also enables it Lopunny to take advantage of Mega-[remove hyphen] Sableye, Mandibuzz, [ac] and Alomomola, [ac] which cannot break its Substitute with any move. Toxic is an alternative to Power-Up Punch that which enables Lopunny to cripple physical walls such as like Hippowdon, Slowbro, [ac] and Alomomola. Finally, Healing Wish can be used over Power-Up Punch, as it provides fantastic utility, letting Lopunny heal up something for free.

Set Details
========
Giving Lopunny Limber enables it to switch in on Thunder Wave users such as Chansey or Ferrothorn. A Jolly nature is preferred over an Adamant one because it since that enables Lopunny to outspeed positive-natured base 119s Speed Pokemon and above, specifically Tornadus-T, Weavile, and Mega- [remove hyphen] Pidgeot as well as Mega-[remove hyphen] Tyranitar and Mega-[remove hyphen] Gyarados at +1. However, [ac] Adamant can also be used for the chance to OHKO Landorus-T after Stealth Rock damage 87.5% of the time as well as always 2HKO physically defensive Landorus-T with Ice Punch, 2HKO mixed defensive Clefable, and 2HKO Skarmory after Stealth Rock damage. At +1, an Adamant nature guarantees that Lopunny can a 2HKO on Hippowdon and Celebi,[rc] and enables it to 2HKO Chesnaught without having to use High Jump Kick and risk losing half your its health to a Spiky Shield.

Usage Tips
========
Fake Out should be used very regularly against offensive teams, [rc] so as to get as much chip damage on everything as possible and not be immediately forced out by faster foes. However, you should be more conservative with using Fake Out against bulkier teams because since you might may well waste turns and let Lopunny take receive unnecessary damage from Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, and Rocky Helmet. Power-Up Punch is a very good move to use if Lopunny can sweep the rest of the team at +1. However, do not use it against foes that who are able to deal a lot of damage to Lopunny, unless they are weakened to the point where Power-Up Punch still take them out. Power-Up Punch can also be used if you need to weaken an opposing physical wall so that another Pokemon can sweep more easily, but often comes at the cost of losing Lopunny. Against offensive teams, it is generally better not to use Power-Up Punch and focus on dealing as much immediate damage as possible and causing chip damage with Fake Out. Try to pivot into Lopunny if you can, as since although its bulk isn't terrible, its lack of resistances severely limits the amount of times it can switch in. Lopunny serves for a very good lead because since Fake Out combined with its high Speed enables it to anti-lead Focus Sash leads. However, be wary of Breloom and Garchomp leads, [ac] as since the former can deal massive damage to Lopunny with Mach Punch, [rc] and the latter can severely chip away at its health, and Lopunny cannot KO it with the combination of Fake Out and High Jump Kick, [rc] and isn't guaranteed to do this with an Adamant nature.

Team Options
========
This set functions well on both offensive and balanced teams, [rc] as a tool to not only threaten offensive teams but also put pressure on bulkier teams. Lopunny needs to be paired with something that which can take on faster attackers and priority users (particularly Talonflame), such as Heatran. Lopunny appreciates support from a strong wallbreaker such as Landorus like Landorus-I and Gengar that which can threaten defensive teams, [ac] which Lopunny struggles with, as well as wear down the likes of Gliscor and Ferrothorn. It also pairs up well with something that which likes certain physical walls weakened or can, conversely, weaken said physical walls for Lopunny, such as Azumarill, Excadrill, Tyranitar, Talonflame, [ac] and Diggersby. Physically defensive Garchomp is an excellent Lopunny partner, as since it lures bulky Water- and Ground-types thanks to Toxic, [rc] and can weaken Talonflame, Pinsir, [ac] and Azumarill via the combination of Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet. Lopunny enjoys Wish or Healing Wish support, as it can easily get worn down and be unable to break past bulkier teams. Jirachi in particular serves as a good Wish passer because since it can counter Clefable and check Altaria. Something that can bait out and weaken physical walls, such as like Talonflame, can pave the way for Lopunny to spam its powerful STAB moves. Support from a slow pivot is also very useful to have on a Lopunny team. Rotom-W is a particularly good partner because it can act as a pivot and checks Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Talonflame as well as fuffiling its duties as a pivot. Lopunny also appreciates support from a strong Pursuit trapper such as Bisharp or Weavile, as since they can severely weaken bulky Psychic-types, [ac] which wall Lopunny. Stealth Rock and Spikes support from something such as like Landorus-T or Klefki enables Lopunny to weaken a lot of its checks, forcing them into a range where they are 2HKOed by Lopunny much more easily, and the support also wards off the likes of Talonflame and Pinsir.

Substitute Attacker
########

Moves
========
High Jump Kick and Return are very good STAB moves, the former being more powerful and the latter being more reliable. Substitute lets Lopunny play around Protect users, status users, [ac] and defensive Pokemon that enjoy switching into it in general. Encore lets Lopunny take advantage of defensive Pokemon, potentially locking them into a non-attacking move such as Recover, Defog, [ac] or Stealth Rock, which enables it to set up a Substitute for free. Baton Pass is a nice way of fast pivoting, [rc] and enables Lopunny to pass a Substitute to a wallbreaker to take advantage of the wall it hopefully baited in. Ice Punch is Lopunny's best way of handling Landorus-T and Garchomp, which can find themselves switching in on a Substitute only to get hit by Ice Punch the following turn. Drain Punch is decent paired up with Substitute, as since it gives Lopunny some longevity and stops it from getting worn down too much. It also removes the limit on the amount of Substitutes Lopunny can set up in one match. Toxic can be very useful for wearing down the likes of Slowbro, Landorus-T, [ac] and Hippwdon, while Endeavor and Flail can seriously damage walls if Lopunny is able to Substitute down to very low health.

Set Details
========
Limber is the most useful pre-Mega Evolution ability because since it gives Lopunny temporary paralysis immunity. 4 HP EVs are is used instead of 4 Defense so that Lopunny can potentially set up 4 Substitutes in one match. Adamant can be used for more power and a much higher chance to OHKO Ferrothorn after Stealth Rock damage and 2HKO mixed defensive Clefable, but Jolly is usually preferred for because it enables Lopunny to outspeed a few key threats and Mega Evolve more easily against offensive teams.

Usage Tips
========
Return and High Jump Kick are Lopunny's most useful moves by far, with Return being its safest STAB move to use, [rc] since because it has perfect accuracy and most resists Pokemon that resist it are outsped and hit very hard by High Jump Kick and are therefore unlikely to switch in, [rc] unlike Fighting resists. High Jump Kick should be used if you need the extra power brought by it compared to Return. Substitute is meant to be used against defensive Pokemon such as Mega-[remove hyphen] Sableye, Mew, and Slowbro, [ac] as they who are more likely to try and status Lopunny rather than attack you than directly attack you. It is a particularly good move for scouting Protect users that who resist Lopunny's Normal STAB move such as Heatran or Ferrothorn. It is also a good method of scouting for switches. If Lopunny locks a Pokemon into a recovery move with thanks to Encore, it should stay in and keep attacking, and when the Encore counter runs out, Lopunny should Encore again until it the foe runs out of PP for its recovery move. Keep in mind that Encore will no longer work when the PP of the last move used does run out. If Lopunny is running Baton Pass and is able to set up a Substitute as the opponent switches into a wall Lopunny cannot 2HKO, or even do so as said wall tries to status it, Baton Pass to something else instead of wasting time trying to beat it. [period]

Team Options
========

This set is mainly to be used on offensive teams that need a fast, anti-offense Pokemon that can also provide some degree of team support. It pairs up well with a strong wallbreaker such as like Landorus or Crawadaunt, as since Encore can enable said wallbreaker to take advantage of a defensive Pokemon locked into a certain move, and if Lopunny runs Baton Pass, it can pass Substitutes to to take advantage of the things Lopunny can't beat on its own. Lopunny should also be paired with something that can switch into common Choice Scarfers Scarf users and Talonflame, such as like Rotom-W or Hippowdon. Gothitelle is a very good partner because since it traps most of Lopunny's counters and Lopunny can pivot to it via Baton Pass. Lopunny appreciates support from a Healing Wish user because since it can end up at very low health if it sets up too many Substitutes. Wish support is also acceptable, but Lopunny is too frail to reliably receive Wishes.

Other Options
########
Lopunny's wide movepool and free moveslots gives it a plethora of viable moves to run. The combination of Substitute and Power-Up Punch, [rc] or Heal Bell and Power-Up Punch both enable Lopunny to effortlessly set up on status users. Substitute is more useful against offensive teams due to for its ability to scout for switches, while Heal Bell enables Lopunny it to actually switch into status users and also support its teammates. Encore and Power-up Punch is also a good combination option, enabling Lopunny to set up on Pokemon that are locked into their recovery move. Quick Attack can be a decent option to chip away at faster attackers and Choice Scarf users choice scarfers. Drain Punch can be used instead of High Jump Kick, and it can serve as an accurate Fighting-type STAB move that Lopunny you can use without fear against Protect users; [semi > comma] it and also gives Lopunny more longevity. However, the power of High Jump Kick is sorely missed and prevents Lopunny from breaking through a large number of Pokemon. Facade enables Lopunny to take advantage of status; [semi > comma] however, [ac] it should not be used over Return because since a powerful Normal-type STAB move is important to have. Low Kick can be used over High Jump Kick as an accurate STAB move that reliably which still hits Hetran and Ferrothorn reliably and without fearing Protect. However, it is noticeably weaker than High Jump Kick against the likes of Jirachi and Rotom. The combination of Power-Up Punch and Baton Pass, [rc] or Work Up and Baton Pass, [rc] enables Lopunny to pass boosts to its teammates; [semi > comma] however, [ac] its frailness prevents it from doing this reliably. Combining Endeavor can to bring Lopunny down to 1 HP and Flail gives Lopunny a lot of firepower, but this combination is very unreliable and Lopunny will be KOed by any residual damage afterwards. A moveset consisting of Fake Out, High Jump Kick, and Last Resort can be used, but loses out on a lot of potential utility, prevents Lopunny from using its normal STAB before its other two moves have been used, and forces it to use Fake Out as soon as it is sent out, which makes it very exploitable. Thunder Wave is somewhat usable, but most of Lopunny's checks are defensive, as many of them are bulky Ground-types being bulky grounds, so this is generally a poor option.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical walls**: Hippowdon, Skarmory, Chesnaught, Venusaur, Amoonguss, [ac] and other physically bulky Pokemon have little trouble taking it out in most cases. However, they can struggle against sets that which carry Encore, [rc] and can be overwhelmed by Power-Up Punch. Physically defensive Gliscor and Landorus-T can also deal with it, [ac] but both fear Ice Punch. Notably, Cofagrigus can easily take an initial hit, remove its Lopunny's ability thanks to Mummy, and completely wall it thereafter.

**Fairy-types**: Physically defensive Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Mega Altaria, have little to no trouble handling Lopunny, as since they resist High Jump Kick and can take a Return quite well. Clefable in particular can run Unaware to ignore PuP's attack increases, [rc] Power-Up Punch's Attack boosts or it can run Magic Guard to ignore entry hazards which the Lopunny team may employ.

**Bulky Psychic-types**: Physically defensive Psychic-types, [rc] much like Fairy types, [rc] can take any of Lopunny's STAB moves as long as they have a decent amount of physical defense investment. Celebi is a very good answer to Lopunny, though it can be taken advantage of thanks to the combination of Encore and Pursuit Bisharp. Slowbro and Mega Slowbro take it s hits very easily, can deal a lot of damage to it with Psyshock, [ac] and don't even fear Encore sets much because of Regenerator. Physically defensive Cresselia completely walls Lopunny can hit it back quite hard with Psychic.

**Choice Scarfers and faster attackers**: Choice Scarf users such as like Landorus-T, Keldeo, Latios, [ac] and Garchomp as well as faster Pokemon such as Mega-[remove hyphen] Aerodactyl, Mega-[remove hyphen] Alakazam, and Mega-[remove hyphen] Sceptile can outspeed it and take it out without too much difficulty too. However, all of these get worn down considerably by Fake Out and cannot always reliably switch in.

**Priority users**: Talonflame, Mega-[remove hyphen] Pinsir, Breloom, and other priority users can outspeed it and KO it before it gets to attack; [semi > comma] however, much like faster Pokemon, they can't always switch in very well.

**Residual Damage**: Lopunny can quite easily be forced to take residual damage to the point where it is taken out. Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, [ac] and/or Rocky Helmet users such as like Garchomp and Ferrothorn can take advantage of the abuse of Fake Out abuse, though the latter much switch out immediately afterwards for fear of High Jump Kick. They can also use Protect to force Lopunny to take recoil damage if it uses High Jump Kick Forcing HJK recoil on it via Protect is also an option, but this can backfire very badly if Lopunny runs Substitute, so it should only be used as a last-ditch effort of if you know Lopunny doesn't carry it. Sand damage and Spikes can also chip away at Lopunny's health to some extent.
1/2

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Albacore
make sure all of your apostrophes are this kind: '

Winry.
Fighting resists --> Pokemon that resist Fighting (can't use "resists" as a noun like that)
x lures in y with [move] --> x lures in y and KOes it with [move] (the first means something entirely different; check out discussion in the Spelling and Grammar Standards thread for details if you haven't seen it)

GP 2/2
add remove comment

Overview
########
(space)
After the release of ORAS,
(we're supposed to avoid time stuff like "the advent/introduction/release/departure/banning of") Mega Lopunny has quickly cemented itself as one of the best new Mega Evolutions in OU. Its excellent Speed tier enables it to outspeed most of the unboosted metagame, and it has access to 2 two powerful STAB moves backed up by a very respectable base 136 Attack. Furthermore, Scrappy gives it perfect coverage with its dual STABs STAB types alone (bar Shedinja Shedninja, which is extremely uncommon in OU), giving it 2 two completely free slots where it can fit Fake Out, Power-Up Punch, Substitute, Ice Punch, Encore, Baton Pass, and more. Its combination of Speed and power makes it an excellent tool to use against offensive teams, and its access to Power-Up Punch and Encore make it of use against more defensive teams too, though it struggles to break past many physically defensive Pokemon due to its lack of raw power and the large number of Pokemon that resist Fighting resists, which often are found feature on these types of teams. Finally, an immunity to Ghost and a resistance to Dark give it opportunities to switch in on the likes of Gengar and Bisharp. It is, however, rather frail, holding little defensive prowess due to its lack of bulk and resistances. It is also easily worn down by residual damage, entry hazards, and High Jump Kick recoil.

All-Out Attacker
########

Moves
========
(space)
High Jump Kick is Lopunny's most powerful STAB move and Return is its most reliable STAB move; the two combined have perfect coverage together thanks to Scrappy. Fake Out is a great move on Lopunny, getting chip damage on faster attackers that can threaten Lopunny out as well as slower ones that are able to live survive one hit from it otherwise. It also enables Lopunny to Mega Evolve against faster Pokemon such as Latios and Keldeo. Finally, it enables Lopunny to emergency check sweepers such as Rock Polish Landorus and Mega Gyarados in a pinch ("emergency" and "in a pinch" are redundant imo, just use one) if the team have has no other option for stopping them from sweeping than to continuously rack up Fake Out damage. Power-Up Punch is Lopunny's best physical boosting move. It enables Lopunny to break past physical walls that are too passive to stop it from setting up and puts a lot of pressure on defensive teams in general. Ice Punch OHKOes Choice Scarf Landorus-T and offensive Garchomp and 2HKOes both of these Pokemon's defensive variants. Substitute can be used over Fake Out and enables Lopunny to take advantage of the switches it causes and makes it more useful against bulkier teams; specifically, Substitute helps against Protect users such as Ferrothorn and Heatran. It pairs up very well with Power-Up Punch, giving Lopunny protection against status and the ability to scout for switches. Substitute also enables Lopunny to take advantage of Mega Sableye, Mandibuzz, and Alomomola, which cannot break its Substitute with any move. Toxic is an alternative to Power-Up Punch that enables Lopunny to cripple physical walls such as Hippowdon, Slowbro, and Alomomola. Finally, Healing Wish can be used over Power-Up Punch, as it provides fantastic utility, letting Lopunny heal a teammate something for free.

Set Details
========
(space)
Giving Lopunny Limber enables it to switch in on Thunder Wave users such as Chansey or and Ferrothorn. A Jolly nature is preferred over an Adamant one because it enables Lopunny to outspeed positive-natured base 119 Speed Pokemon and above, specifically Tornadus-T, Weavile, and Mega Pidgeot as well as Mega Tyranitar and Mega Gyarados at +1. However, Adamant can also be used for the chance to OHKO Landorus-T after Stealth Rock damage 87.5% of the time as well as always 2HKO physically defensive Landorus-T with Ice Punch, 2HKO mixed defensive Clefable, and 2HKO Skarmory after Stealth Rock damage. At +1, an Adamant nature guarantees that Lopunny can 2HKO on Hippowdon and Celebi, (remove comma) and 2HKO Chesnaught without having to use High Jump Kick and risk losing half its health to a Spiky Shield.

Usage Tips
========
(space)
Fake Out should be used very regularly against offensive teams to get as much chip damage on everything as possible and not be immediately forced out by faster foes. However, you should be more conservative with using Fake Out against bulkier teams because you might waste turns and let Lopunny take unnecessary damage from Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, and Rocky Helmet. Power-Up Punch is a very good move to use if Lopunny can sweep the rest of the team at +1. However, do not use it against foes that are able to deal a lot of damage to Lopunny, unless they are weakened to the point where Power-Up Punch can still take them out. Power-Up Punch can also be used if you need to weaken an opposing physical wall so that another Pokemon can sweep more easily, but doing so often comes at the cost of losing Lopunny. Against offensive teams, it is generally better not to use Power-Up Punch; (semicolon) focus instead and focus on dealing as much immediate damage as possible and causing chip damage with Fake Out. Try to pivot into Lopunny if you can, as although its bulk isn't terrible, its lack of resistances severely limits the amount number of times it can switch in. Lopunny serves for as a very good lead because Fake Out combined with its high Speed enables it to anti-lead Focus Sash leads. However, be wary of Breloom and Garchomp leads, as the former can deal massive damage to Lopunny with Mach Punch and the latter can severely chip away at its health, and Lopunny cannot KO it with the combination of Fake Out and High Jump Kick.

Team Options
========
(space)
This set functions well on both offensive and balanced teams as a tool to not only threaten offensive teams but also put pressure on bulkier teams. Lopunny needs to be paired with something a Pokemon that can take on faster attackers and priority users (particularly Talonflame), such as Heatran. Lopunny appreciates support from a strong wallbreaker(comma) such as Landorus and or Gengar(comma) that can threaten defensive teams, which Lopunny struggles with, as well as wear down the likes of Gliscor and Ferrothorn. It also pairs up well with something Pokemon that likes like certain physical walls weakened or can, conversely, weaken said physical walls for Lopunny, such as Azumarill, Excadrill, Tyranitar, Talonflame, and Diggersby. Physically defensive Garchomp is an excellent Lopunny partner, as it lures (THIS IS NOT HOW YOU USE "LURE", pm me if you want an explanation or read page 9 (I think) in the Spelling and Grammar Standards) in bulky Water- and Ground-types and can surprise them with Toxic; it can also thanks to Toxic and can weaken Talonflame, Pinsir, and Azumarill via the combination of Rough Skin and Rocky Helmet. Lopunny enjoys Wish or Healing Wish support, as it can easily get worn down and be unable to break past bulkier teams. Jirachi in particular serves as a good Wish passer because it can counter Clefable and check Altaria. Something A teammate that can bait out and weaken physical walls, such as Talonflame, can pave the way for Lopunny to spam its powerful STAB moves. Support from a slow pivot is also very useful to have on a Lopunny team. Rotom-W is a particularly good partner because it checks Choice Scarf Landorus-T and Talonflame, both big threats to Lopunny. It (this sounds like it's referring to Rotom-W; is that correct? if not, replace with "Lopunny") also appreciates support from a strong Pursuit trappers such as Bisharp or and Weavile, as they can severely weaken bulky Psychic-types, which wall Lopunny. Stealth Rock and Spikes support from something a teammate such as Landorus-T or Klefki enables Lopunny to weaken a lot of its checks, forcing them into a range where they are 2HKOed by Lopunny much more easily, and the support also wards off the likes of Talonflame and Pinsir.

Substitute Attacker
########

Moves
========
(space)
High Jump Kick and Return are very good STAB moves, the former being more powerful and the latter being more reliable. Substitute lets Lopunny play around Protect users, status users, and defensive Pokemon that enjoy switching into it in general. Encore lets Lopunny take advantage of defensive Pokemon, potentially locking them into a non-attacking move such as Recover, Defog, or Stealth Rock, which enables it to set up a Substitute for free. Baton Pass is a nice way of fast pivoting and enables Lopunny to pass a Substitute to a wallbreaker to take advantage of the wall it hopefully baited in. Ice Punch is Lopunny's best way of handling Landorus-T and Garchomp, which can find themselves switching in on a Substitute only to get hit by Ice Punch the following turn. Drain Punch is decent paired up with Substitute, as it gives Lopunny some longevity and stops it from getting worn down too much. It also removes the limit on the amount of Substitutes Lopunny can set up in one match. Toxic can be very useful for wearing down the likes of Slowbro, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon, while Endeavor and Flail can seriously damage walls if Lopunny is able to Substitute down to very low health.

Set Details
========
(space)
Limber is the most useful pre-Mega Evolution ability because it gives Lopunny temporary paralysis immunity. 4 HP EVs are used instead of 4 Defense so that Lopunny can potentially set up 4 four Substitutes in one match. Adamant can be used for more power and a much higher chance to OHKO Ferrothorn after Stealth Rock damage and 2HKO mixed defensive Clefable, but Jolly is usually preferred because it enables Lopunny to outspeed a few key threats and Mega Evolve more easily against offensive teams.
(remove space)

Usage Tips
========
(space)
Return and High Jump Kick are Lopunny's most useful moves by far, with Return being its safest STAB move to use because it has perfect accuracy and most Pokemon that resist it are outsped and hit very hard by High Jump Kick and are therefore unlikely to switch in. High Jump Kick should be used if you need the extra power brought by it compared to Return. Substitute is meant to be used against defensive Pokemon such as Mega Sableye, Mew, and Chansey, as they are more likely to try and to status Lopunny rather than attack. It is a particularly good move for scouting Protect users that resist Lopunny's Normal-type STAB move(comma) such as Heatran or and Ferrothorn. It is also a good method of scouting for switches. If Lopunny locks a Pokemon into a recovery move with Encore, it should stay in and keep attacking, and when the Encore counter runs out, Lopunny should Encore again until the foe runs out of PP for its recovery move. Keep in mind that Encore will no longer work when the PP of the last move used does run out. If Lopunny is running Baton Pass and is able to set up a Substitute as the opponent switches into a wall Lopunny cannot 2HKO, or even do so as said wall tries to status it, Baton Pass to something else a teammate instead of wasting time trying to beat it.

Team Options
========

This set is mainly to be used on offensive teams that need a fast, anti-offense Pokemon that can also provide some degree of team support. It pairs up well with a strong wallbreaker such as Landorus or Crawadaunt, as Encore can enable said wallbreaker to take advantage of a defensive Pokemon locked into a certain move, and if Lopunny runs Baton Pass, it can pass Substitutes to to the wallbreaker to let it take advantage of the things foes Lopunny can't beat on its own. Lopunny should also be paired with something a Pokemon that can switch into common Choice Scarf users and Talonflame, such as Rotom-W or Hippowdon. Gothitelle is a very good partner because it traps most of Lopunny's counters and Lopunny can pivot to it via Baton Pass. Lopunny appreciates support from a Healing Wish user because it can end up at very low health if it sets up too many Substitutes. Wish support is also acceptable, but Lopunny is too frail to reliably receive Wishes.

Other Options
########
(space)
Lopunny's wide movepool and free moveslots gives give it a plethora of viable moves to run. The combinations of Substitute and Power-Up Punch or Heal Bell and Power-Up Punch Substitute + Power-Up Punch and Heal Bell + Power-Up Punch (did this bc you can't use "x or y both", it has to be "x and y both", but then it's confusing as to which moves are in which combinations) both enable Lopunny to effortlessly set up on status users. Substitute is more useful against offensive teams due to its ability to scout for switches, while Heal Bell enables Lopunny it to actually switch into status users and support its teammates. Encore and + Power-up Punch is also a good combination, enabling Lopunny to set up on Pokemon that are locked into their recovery move. Quick Attack can be a decent option to chip away at faster attackers and Choice Scarf users. Drain Punch can be used instead of High Jump Kick, and it can serve as an accurate Fighting-type STAB move that Lopunny can use without fear against Protect users; it also gives Lopunny more longevity. However, the power of High Jump Kick is sorely missed(comma) and forgoing it prevents (w/o my change this is saying "the power of HJK prevents Lopunny from breaking through Pokemon") Lopunny from breaking through a large number of Pokemon. Facade enables Lopunny to take advantage of status; however, it should not be used over Return because a powerful Normal-type STAB move is important to have. Low Kick can be used over High Jump Kick as an accurate STAB move that reliably hits Heatran and Ferrothorn and doesn't without fearing Protect. However, it is noticeably weaker than High Jump Kick against the likes of Jirachi and Rotom. The combination of Power-Up Punch and Baton Pass or Work Up and Baton Pass enables Lopunny to pass boosts to its teammates; however, its frailness prevents it from doing this reliably. Endeavor can bring Lopunny down to 1 HP and Flail gives Lopunny a lot of firepower, but this combination is very unreliable and Lopunny will be KOed by any residual damage afterwards. A moveset consisting of Fake Out, High Jump Kick, and Last Resort can be used, but it loses out on a lot of potential utility, prevents Lopunny from using its normal STAB move (what move are you referring to? this is kinda unclear imo) before its other two moves have been used, and forces it to use Fake Out as soon as it is sent out, which makes it very exploitable. Thunder Wave is somewhat usable, but because most of Lopunny's checks are defensive, as many of them are bulky Ground-types, so this is generally a poor option.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physical Walls**: (capitalize heading names) Hippowdon, Skarmory, Chesnaught, Venusaur, Amoonguss, and other physically bulky Pokemon have little trouble taking it Lopunny out in most cases. However, they can struggle against sets that carry Encore and can be overwhelmed by Power-Up Punch. Physically defensive Gliscor and Landorus-T can also deal with it, but both fear Ice Punch. Notably, Cofagrigus can easily take an initial hit, remove Lopunny's ability thanks to Mummy, and completely wall it thereafter. (heh I just GPed a Cofagrigus analysis that said this)

**Fairy-types**: Physically defensive Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Mega Altaria, have little to no trouble handling Lopunny, as they resist High Jump Kick and can take a Return quite well. Clefable in particular can run Unaware to ignore Power-Up Punch's Attack boosts or it can run Magic Guard to ignore damage from entry hazards.

**Bulky Psychic-types**: Physically defensive Psychic-types can take any of Lopunny's STAB moves as long as they have a decent amount of physical defense Defense investment. Celebi is a very good answer to Lopunny, though it can be taken advantage of thanks to the combination of Encore and Pursuit Bisharp. Slowbro and Mega Slowbro take hits from Lopunny very easily, (remove comma) and deal a lot of damage to it with Psyshock, and the former doesn(change this to this apostrophe: ')t even fear Encore sets much because of Regenerator. Physically defensive Cresselia completely walls Lopunny and can hit back quite hard with Psychic.

**Choice Scarfers and Faster Attackers**: Choice Scarf users such as Landorus-T, Keldeo, Latios, and Garchomp as well as faster Pokemon such as Mega Aerodactyl, Mega Alakazam, and Mega Sceptile can outspeed Lopunny and take it out without too much difficulty. However, all of these get worn down by Fake Out and cannot always reliably switch in.

**Priority Users**: Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, Breloom, and other priority users can KO Lopunny before it gets to attack; however, much like faster Pokemon, they can't always switch in very well.

**Residual Damage**: Lopunny can quite easily be forced to take residual damage to the point where it is taken out. Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, and/or Rocky Helmet users such as Ferrothorn and Garchomp and Ferrothorn (to match order) can take advantage of Fake Out abuse, though the latter must switch out immediately afterwards for fear of High Jump Kick. Pokemon that carry Protect can use it to force Lopunny to take recoil damage if it uses High Jump Kick, but this can backfire if Lopunny runs Substitute, so it should only be used as a last-ditch effort. Sandstorm damage and Spikes can also chip away at Lopunny's health to some extent.

Albacore

Huh, didn't know about the lure thing. Guess you learn something new every day.

Anyway, thanks a lot P Squared, this is done!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)