Resource Ask a simple question get a simple answer: RU edition

Lord Death Man

i cant read
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Cress is also leaving and I think if Reun is broken without doom, it's broken with it. If Doom deserves a suspect, whether or not it's vital to checking bulky CM psychics is irrelevant.

in terms of building, i'd argue the biggest pokemon i personally will consider are a.dugtrio, b.fat psychics (reuniclus in the case of defensive building, cress for offense), and c.whimsicott. now, of course there are evident threats that one must account for to differing capacities (like, you can't make a defensive team that lends too many free turns to doomer rn, nor can you build offense that can't facilitate good, aggressive play into m-'lix, it's just bad building), but these are the kinds of pokemon that you have to actively prepare for in most settings. dugtrio and whimsicott are largely support-inclined, but they just facilitate far too much to sell off as non-threats; dugtrio removing a drapion can mean opening up a window for toxic spikes to ruin an otherwise good balance build's playability, allow a reuniclus to stall-break cleanly, or let a cresselia just sit about and wall an offense squad with that much more ease. similar things can be said of skuntank and houndoom (sub dugtrio is its best set atm, which is why some players have been taking to flame charge doomer in turn), lightly chipped m-camerupt, and so on and so forth. whimsicott is something to acknowledge b.c it can generate momentum ridiculously well via encore + u-turn, which alone is a deterrent for every booster ever, and its typing and speed tier allow it to retain lasting relevance in the game beyond that, whether you might choose for that to be offensive or defensive. utilities like memento, tailwind, and stun spore kinda are just neat little bonuses, which allow it to facilitate its own offensive threats, allowing for really dangerous end-games from other pokes. the fat psychics point is much more direct; either your team has means to break them, or they're bad teams. defensive teams need to run pokemon that have active, perhaps even offensively-oriented, means of dealing w/cm reuniclus, otherwise it has complete leniency to just pend its time and boost up to an end-game when your 'lix or what have you is too worn down to be able to roar it away, or you forced a last-'mon scenario, or what have you. this has lead to harder defensive structures adopting conservative boosters w/defensive functionality, such as curse 'lix or resttalk malamar to handle this threat, but even those can struggle w/certain variations (acid armor + cm reuniclus beats curse 'lix, sans crits). cresselia is comparable in that, without specific offensive pokemon or boosters, it is capable of just trading damage for status, healing up, throwing an attack, and repeating these cycles for extended periods of time. to this end, players will utilize pokemon like sd (or cb!) drapion, sd samurott, hc / cb durant, sd doublade, and so forth to push through it, but many do get forced to trade for paralysis at best here, and when backed with a reasonable defensive core, it can quickly become unwieldy. as a primarily offensive player, i would consider it easily be amongst the most difficult pokemon to realistically break in this tier.

that said, their absence from the tier would drastically affect building, and especially in the case of whimsicott, play. without such a defensively stable blanket check in cresselia, offense would have a fair amount more flexibility in building, as they would not be significantly hampered by the momentum drains that would result in feeding cress turns (since you would be forced out with your vanilla attacker, bring in your type-advantageous booster, etc etc.). reuniclus leaving would be huge for defensive builds, since absolutely nothing end-games defensive teams as it does. having dugtrio gone would mean shuca berry won't be nearly as good on poison-types any more =( but yeah, dugtrio gone leaves a lot of defensive pokemon breathing room, as well as a couple offensive ones, all of whom generally play integral roles in the tier, so that'd shift the dynamic of a lot of games drastically. whimsicott's, as i said, would mostly alter the games themselves (though 'cott is v.good for a lot of teams, don't get me wrong), since keeping the possibility of a priority encore lock really hampers your play w/sweepers of all kinds (unless you run mental herb ;] ).

Cress is also leaving and I think if Reun is broken without doom, it's broken with it. If Doom deserves a suspect, whether or not it's vital to checking bulky CM psychics is irrelevant.
I understand what you're saying and agree with you in that sense, but my concern is "when does it stop?" With Doom gone, stall becomes even more powerful than it already is. I don't think it's possible to have a meta that isn't at least somewhat centralized around a specific poke or a specific set of pokes. Eventually anything that's worth using will be banned.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dont jump to conclusions, nothing's leaving unless Antar, tomorrow or some other day of the week, announces it. Theres no point panicing about cress/doublade/whimsi/cress/aurorus or whatever leaving and they end up staying.

complete legitimacy

is it cold in the water?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
in terms of building, i'd argue the biggest pokemon i personally will consider are a.dugtrio, b.fat psychics (reuniclus in the case of defensive building, cress for offense), and c.whimsicott. now, of course there are evident threats that one must account for to differing capacities (like, you can't make a defensive team that lends too many free turns to doomer rn, nor can you build offense that can't facilitate good, aggressive play into m-'lix, it's just bad building), but these are the kinds of pokemon that you have to actively prepare for in most settings. dugtrio and whimsicott are largely support-inclined, but they just facilitate far too much to sell off as non-threats; dugtrio removing a drapion can mean opening up a window for toxic spikes to ruin an otherwise good balance build's playability, allow a reuniclus to stall-break cleanly, or let a cresselia just sit about and wall an offense squad with that much more ease. similar things can be said of skuntank and houndoom (sub dugtrio is its best set atm, which is why some players have been taking to flame charge doomer in turn), lightly chipped m-camerupt, and so on and so forth. whimsicott is something to acknowledge b.c it can generate momentum ridiculously well via encore + u-turn, which alone is a deterrent for every booster ever, and its typing and speed tier allow it to retain lasting relevance in the game beyond that, whether you might choose for that to be offensive or defensive. utilities like memento, tailwind, and stun spore kinda are just neat little bonuses, which allow it to facilitate its own offensive threats, allowing for really dangerous end-games from other pokes. the fat psychics point is much more direct; either your team has means to break them, or they're bad teams. defensive teams need to run pokemon that have active, perhaps even offensively-oriented, means of dealing w/cm reuniclus, otherwise it has complete leniency to just pend its time and boost up to an end-game when your 'lix or what have you is too worn down to be able to roar it away, or you forced a last-'mon scenario, or what have you. this has lead to harder defensive structures adopting conservative boosters w/defensive functionality, such as curse 'lix or resttalk malamar to handle this threat, but even those can struggle w/certain variations (acid armor + cm reuniclus beats curse 'lix, sans crits). cresselia is comparable in that, without specific offensive pokemon or boosters, it is capable of just trading damage for status, healing up, throwing an attack, and repeating these cycles for extended periods of time. to this end, players will utilize pokemon like sd (or cb!) drapion, sd samurott, hc / cb durant, sd doublade, and so forth to push through it, but many do get forced to trade for paralysis at best here, and when backed with a reasonable defensive core, it can quickly become unwieldy. as a primarily offensive player, i would consider it easily be amongst the most difficult pokemon to realistically break in this tier.

that said, their absence from the tier would drastically affect building, and especially in the case of whimsicott, play. without such a defensively stable blanket check in cresselia, offense would have a fair amount more flexibility in building, as they would not be significantly hampered by the momentum drains that would result in feeding cress turns (since you would be forced out with your vanilla attacker, bring in your type-advantageous booster, etc etc.). reuniclus leaving would be huge for defensive builds, since absolutely nothing end-games defensive teams as it does. having dugtrio gone would mean shuca berry won't be nearly as good on poison-types any more =( but yeah, dugtrio gone leaves a lot of defensive pokemon breathing room, as well as a couple offensive ones, all of whom generally play integral roles in the tier, so that'd shift the dynamic of a lot of games drastically. whimsicott's, as i said, would mostly alter the games themselves (though 'cott is v.good for a lot of teams, don't get me wrong), since keeping the possibility of a priority encore lock really hampers your play w/sweepers of all kinds (unless you run mental herb ;] ).
I have a number of thoughts about this post.
  1. This is seriously the best post I've seen in this forum in a long time. This kind of metagame analysis has been what I've been looking for in this forum for years, but the number of posts that I've seen do it is in the single digits most likely. Higher-level thinking is virtually never shown in posts in the viability rankings and the like, and that is the reason why I stopped seriously forum posting. The current state of the forum, and this has been the case for a while, is all surface-level discussion that is pretty useless. So, thank you 49 and I hope that you and others make more posts like this.
  2. All that praise aside, I almost contracted dyslexia from reading this post.
  3. I also noticed that is the simple question, simple answer thread. Under no circumstances can this response be construed as anything that would fit under the definition of simple. Thus, I thought of a solution to this problem many moons ago, in my simple question, complex answer thread. Paging Molk, atomicllamas, and Spirit to unlock this please.
spirit edit:

On the real though: I'd unlock it, but I don't think such a thread would gain much activity in the first place. The most simple solution would be to change this thread's title to "ask a question, get an answer" to encompass any variation of this thread, which I don't mind doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one I've wanted to know for a while: where does the "Druddigon is broken" joke come from?
I found a quote from molk about where it came from.
as i mentioned before in the thread, the reasoning behind the ban druddigon joke is mainly this:

Well competitively, Druddigon was probably the absolute best Pokemon in BW2 RU and its still quite excellent today. However, its status as a top tier threat in BW2 RU along with a user named TROP started an inside joke that Druddigon was the most broken Pokemon in RU (and the entire game), and that it needs to be banned asap. So people joke about that quite often, even going so far as to make fake calcs of druddigon OHKOing xerneas with outrage etc. Nbd

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
WHo is currently the best defensive pokemon in RU?
I don't think it's fair to name just one as there are no mons that act as a catch all to the many offensive threats there are at the moment. An important one to mention however is aromatisse. With all four new drops being checked to one degree or another, it's definitely very useful right now. It checks pretty much all scrafty variants, flygon, dragon dance Kingdra and can take a couple of hits from noivern. But, one of the most powerful best playstyles right now is rain and this is one thing that aromatisse struggles to check. Spdef/mixed def alomomola does decently in this meta as a great rain check and noivern check. It does nicely against the fire types that are still prevelant. However, mola can be set up fodder for mons like sub cobalion, virizion and scrafty. The last one i want to mention is togetic which works as a really good check/counter to the new drops. Be wary when using it though as it is easy to wear down and can be setup fodder for many mons if it isn't used carefully. Apart from these, most of the defensive mons that were good last month are still good so specially defensive steelix, tank rhyperior, tangrowth, amoonguss and several others all have wide niches.

Last edited:
If hitmonchan and ambipom are unviable in RU, could there be some possible way that the RU and NU tier councils plus some of ther other higherups reach an agreement to drop them both to NU?

tehy

Banned deucer.
If hitmonchan and ambipom are unviable in RU, could there be some possible way that the RU and NU tier councils plus some of ther other higherups reach an agreement to drop them both to NU?
we wish, but that's currently not allowed

although RU has experienced some forced drops recently, those are only as a result of a Mega being banned in the tier above; that's currently the only kind of forced drop smogon will allow i'm afraid

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How is Noivern RU, and Moltres is still BL2? :/
Noivern dropped into RU literally a week ago. The council is allowing the meta game to settle a bit before suspect testing anything in order to get a better idea of what threats need to be addressed with a suspect test (there will be no more quick bans). Noivern is one of two mons that the council is keeping our eyes on, so a future suspect test for Noivern is not out of the question. However, I really doubt that Noivern is going to be better than Moltres was (and if it is its cause rip Slowking and Cress, not because its actually a better Pokemon. First off, Noivern is much weaker than Moltres, (97 SpA vs. 125 SpA), in fact Moltres's Life Orb Hurricane hits harder than Noivern's Choice Specs Hurricane, which makes Noivern far worse at wall breaking cause it is weaker and locked into a move. It's true that Noivern performs extremely well against offensive teams due to it's high base speed and high base power STABs, but there are a few checks, and a shit ton of revenge killers that can deal with it. So while, at least in the current meta, I find Noivern to be potentially deserving of a suspect test, it is no where near QB worthy and may not even be the Pokemon most worthy of a suspect test in this meta.

If I misinterpreted your post and you want us to free Moltres, well, not w/o Slowking ;-;.

P is For Penguin

formerly MainEvent
How is Noivern RU, and Moltres is still BL2? :/
llamas kinda beat me to it already, although noivern and moltres are fairly similar they also vary quite alot. Moltres has a crazy high SpA stat of base 125 while noivern has 97 almost a 30 point difference just in base stat. Moltres is even more bulky having higher base Def, SpD, and HP. The only base stat that noivern has an advantage of over moltres is the Speed. However as most of us know base stats are not everything so please dont jump down my throat. Another factor is the x4 weakness to ice noivern has, and although ice shard isnt the most common move by any standard its run on glalie, sneasel, lapras, and the occasional piloswine, being x4 weak to a prio move is a big disadvantage. Also one of noiverns stabs(dragon) has an immunity unlike moltres stabs, so it is arguably easier to switch into because a fairy that switches into a draco/dragon pulse will take 0 damage and most likely force a switch. Im not quite sure if between atomicllamas post and this one if it answers your question. His post is better than mine imo but if i could help, glad to help.

What is better for offensive acceptor timid or modest?
Both are good, acceptor accepts everything.

Now seriously, modest max speed reaches 389 so you're outsped by jolteon, scarf tantrum and scarf medicham, 3 pokes that offense usually doesn't have most switch-ins for so you should really go with timid imo. If your team doesn't care about them, I guess you can choose modest.

So i'm trying to build a team around MG calm mind reuniclus. Since the set include already CM, recover and psychic, what do you think the coverage move should be-focus blast or shadow ball?

gorex

penguin council
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LCPL Champion
So i'm trying to build a team around MG calm mind reuniclus. Since the set include already CM, recover and psychic, what do you think the coverage move should be-focus blast or shadow ball?
you tend to want to have psyshock over psychic to win cm wars against opposing users/special walls and focus blast is generally preferred in this current meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)