Smogon Usage-Based Tier Update: May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally Cress rose to UU. With that and all the other things surrounding RU I might need to get into it. Using Kingdra's crit-set in RU sounds really interesting, Noivern as well. I don't really know RU that well but with how it almost is a completely different metagame now I think I want to start getting into it.

Hippo, Gastro, Amoonguss.... these are the kind of pokes which are somewhat 'tier immune' pokes. That is to say, they will do their job remarkably in every tier; but they have some flaws that will always stop them from being broken in any tier.

I guess people do not want to provide the high amount support that pinsir-M requires compared to other megas like gross and altaria. Speaking of Gross, its rise has also been very problematic for M-Pinsir, since M-Gross outspeeds and resists quick attack.

I doubt Mandi would be too significant in UU. Its builky as hell, but does not have much in the way of actual resistances. Alakazam moving up means thats one more thing Mandi could have but will not be getting the chance to. Still a pretty bulky defogger who can provide solid utility.

I doubt Mandi would be too significant in UU. Its builky as hell, but does not have much in the way of actual resistances. Alakazam moving up means thats one more thing Mandi could have but will not be getting the chance to. Still a pretty bulky defogger who can provide solid utility.
The nice part about Mandibuzz is that Feraligatr and Salamence can't set up on it without eating Foul Play.

Definitely going to use Kingdra some more now. One of my favorite 2nd gen mons.

Last edited:
UU and RU definitely changed the most, I am just glad Noivern moved to RU seeing as Mamoswine in UU would utterly destroy it and I think Noivern will stand a better chance there. Although I am surprised Gallade dropped in usage alongside Mandibuzz and Scrafty seeing how Mandobuzz was a great physical wall and Scrafty is versatile.

jeronipuff

Man made the web, you don't need a name.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
RU becoming more of an offensive tier, not bad. And if Aegislash stays, which I doubt Madibuzz will just move right back up. Also unlike popular belief I am entertained by the fact that Mamo is UU now because as of now there is no reliable way of stopping Mence but with STAB ice shard it can get bopped. The bulky waters are also still there to check it too.

Last edited:
At least UU got rid of some rubbish like Flygon, I suppose. Zam going OU is a bit surprising, although there was a sharp increase in Zams recently. PU got the short end of the stick, and I don't even know if we should still call RU RU. It's like a completely different tier.

RIP alakazam and hippo. You will be missed. On the other hand, we stole some from RU, and got: mandibuzz, mamoswine, gallade (no mega). so… do i remake my HO team that had zam?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a precedent that when a pokemon rises multiple tiers, when it falls it returns to the tier it came from? Since Gallade rose directly from RU to OU, shouldn't it return directly to RU?
No. It took like 4 months for Mawile to fall back to NU.

Just a question, as Gallade got moved down to UU shouldn't it just move down to RU? Like what happenned with Medicham when it dropped?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a question, as Gallade got moved down to UU shouldn't it just move down to RU? Like what happenned with Medicham when it dropped?
No actually, Medicham dropped to UU first, and lasted in UU for one month. When the big shift came, Medicham stayed UU, but atomicllamas dropped Medicham to RU by some sort of executive decision because it was blatantly obvious that Medicham's usage was due to its Mega Stone being retested. It was very obvious that if Medichamite was not retested at all, Medicham would have been not at all used.

Gallade will have to stay here for a little while before it drops. Pokemon can only drop one tier at a time.

EDIT: TheTrueLegendary , Gatr is already UU :O

Last edited:
wait people were actually using Abomasnow?
I've hardly ever seen it :/
meh oh well, at least Slurpuff is FINALLY gone! Good riddance.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
This will never be funny. It's almost as bad as "Smogonbird".
No, that is funny, what are you talking about

But in terms of tier shifts, I really don't get why people are saying UU changed a lot, sure they did gain 3 pokemon, but one will have no impact in the meta at all (Gallade), one is an interesting addition (Mandibuzz), and the other will just get banned (Mamoswine), also its not like Alakzam was the tiers only psychic type

Amaluna

Somewhere between relatable and psychotic
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Very excited about most of these. Fletchinder and Kabaetops back in NU is going be awesome. And Mamoswine will fuck up the UU tier badly. I personally don't think it'll stay there, but I'd like to try it out. Also Mandibuzz and Scrafty finally dropped. I was expecting both of them to drop a month ago, glad they're going down now.

UU and RU definitely changed the most, I am just glad Noivern moved to RU seeing as Mamoswine in UU would utterly destroy it and I think Noivern will stand a better chance there. Although I am surprised Gallade dropped in usage alongside Mandibuzz and Scrafty seeing how Mandobuzz was a great physical wall and Scrafty is versatile.
Gallade dropped because people realized its really not that great of a pokemon. Sure it hits hard, but its not something that you would be afraid of at team preview. It even dropped to B+ in the OU viability rankings, and really I feel like it should drop to B. Mandibuzz was always barely OU ever since aegislash got banned, and it lost some popularity seeing as how it was mainly used to check/counter it. I'm surprised it even stayed OU this long.

And mamo being in UU is pretty nice. :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)