The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Brady should not have gotten more than two games (it's an equipment violation for fuck's sake), but I think the NFL went heavy-handed there because it might get reduced on appeal. If the 4-game suspension sticks then so be it. In the end Brady cheated, likely for more than just that game, and that has to be punished. What is beyond ridiculous is the loss of a first-round pick. This was not a Patriots organization problem, this was Tom Brady and a couple equipment managers deflating footballs without the head coach or ownership knowing. To punish the organization with a million dollar fine and a loss of a top pick for one player and two equipment managers cheating is ridiculous. That one player and two equipment managers can even commit a violation that merits that punishment is insane. I hope the Lions pay off the Packers' equipment managers to deflate footballs so the Packers lose their next first-rounder.

This shouldn't impact Brady's legacy though. He was caught cheating, but it was in such a minor way that it doesn't detract from the greatness he's shown on the football field. Plenty of players are trying to cut corners and get whatever advantage they can. Only difference is Brady got caught. He'll have to do his time, but he's not any less of an all-time great.

Brady hired Jeffrey Kessler who's basically the NFL's arch Nemesis.

The NFL is about to face prolonged court battles with its best team, most powerful player, and most powerful owner, so this will probably last all summer.

Don't think World War 5 over .6 PSI in a game won by 38 points is something the NFL wanted.

Get the popcorn ready folks, this should be a good show. Hope Brady and Kessler give the NFL Goodell, Vincent, etc. hell. This is not going away any time soon.

Don't think World War 5 over .6 PSI in a game won by 38 points is something the NFL wanted.
You still don't get it. The outcome of the game without cheating DOESN'T MATTER. Like WaterBomb said, it's the principle. Plain and simple, Tom Brady was punished for compromising the integrity of the game. The draft picks and fine is a bit ridiculous but the Brady suspension is perfectly reasonable and justified. He deflated the football under the minimum rule to gain a slight uncompetitive advantage which compromises the integrity of the win. Again, the outcome is irrelevant. And who knows? They probably did this for multiple games. Brady didn't just wake up and say "Today's game will be played with underinflated balls." It's the principle.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Yeah just like all offensive lineman who break the holding rules should be suspended. Or how all linebackers who break the horse collar rule should have their team get fined heavily.

People acting like a rules violation ruins competition like this shit is black and white. It really isn't at all. And let's be real Brady performed far better in the super bowl and the second half of the colts game with fully inflated balls rather than the balls that give a "competitive advantage".

More often than not I find that the "it's the principle of the thing" defense is made by people who want their way but know they're wrong and being unreasonable.

You still don't get it. The outcome of the game without cheating DOESN'T MATTER. Like WaterBomb said, it's the principle. Plain and simple, Tom Brady was punished for compromising the integrity of the game. The draft picks and fine is a bit ridiculous but the Brady suspension is perfectly reasonable and justified. He deflated the football under the minimum rule to gain a slight uncompetitive advantage which compromises the integrity of the win. Again, the outcome is irrelevant. And who knows? They probably did this for multiple games. Brady didn't just wake up and say "Today's game will be played with underinflated balls." It's the principle.
Never said anything about it not mattering.

Just said that the NFL would rather not deal with months of litigation and bad PR because of it.

And Brady never deflated any footballs. Nor is there any proof that he wanted the game played with under inflated footballs.

All the report says is that he was at least "generally aware" of it happening.

Also the NFL lecturing anyone about integrity is a joke

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
He deserved the suspension? Uhh, one look at a fucking rulebook tells you he didn't deserve anything except a fine; he was caught tampering and did nothing to impede the investigation or break another rule in the process. I'm sorry, but punishing him with this isn't what is in the rulebook. Lets just make it so everything is goodell's choice now, huh? maybe every time there is a goddamn penalty they can call his tyrant ass and he can tell them how many games they are suspended for. Why do we even have a rulebook? its obvious that Goodell's shitty system of punishing people has nothing to do with the rule book in the first place, so lets just rip it up and act like it never existed. Its pretty much what they are doing now.

Brady was punished under "conduct detrimental to the integrity of the NFL" which basically sets precedence for suspending anyone for just about any reason ever

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Brady was punished under "conduct detrimental to the integrity of the NFL" which basically sets precedence for suspending anyone for just about any reason ever
Pointing out that now that he's just stabbed his biggest defender in the back it is extremely likely that Kraft is already whispering in the ears of all the owners about this exact thing like a sinister Demon convincing them to give into their fears.

Goodell's days as commissioner are on a short timer.

DetroitLolcat

Pointing out that now that he's just stabbed his biggest defender in the back it is extremely likely that Kraft is already whispering in the ears of all the owners about this exact thing like a sinister Demon convincing them to give into their fears.

Goodell's days as commissioner are on a short timer.
This isn't 1% as scandalous as the Ray Rice thing and he survived that. Goodell can't be touched.

DetroitLolcat

Goodell not appointing an arbitrator is the legal equivalent of telling Brady to go fuck himself. I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell Goodell overturns or reduces the suspension, which makes the courts Brady's only recourse. I don't think he wins in a court of law, but he's got a shot.

Goodell is showing some massive balls here. He's essentially telling Brady "fuck you, sue me".

I'm actually glad he's doing this. Like Detroit said, he's probably not going to overturn or reduce it, so it's basically forcing Brady to take it court (or he doesn't take it, which makes him look guilty from the public's view even if he's doing so just to avoid the hassle). Hopefully in court the truth will come out and we'll see someone with egg on their face, rather it be Brady or Goodell. I somehow hope it's both of them, but I don't think that's plausible...

I like how people are claiming that Brady "ruined the integrity of the game" as if they were there to see it happen. How can you make such claims when no evidence exists to even support such a claim?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...extends-ryan-tannehills-contract-through-2020
So Ryan Tannehill was the first of the Big 4 QB class of 2012(Tannehill, Andrew Luck, RG3, and Russell Wilson) to get a mega extension? Any thoughts on this?
Doesn't seem that mega with only $25 mil guaranteed, and even averaged out it's only a bit less than $16mil a year, which isn't unreasonable considering Tannehill has good upside to him; Dolphins are good to lock it up now for cheap considering his price will only go up.

Besides we all know Luck and Wilson will get more, and RG3 will be lucky to get resigned by the Redskins at all at this point, and no way he should touch that much even as a FA. Attitude + injuries and a lack of production beyond his rookie season to me lower his value below Tannehill anyways.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...es-extra-point-to-15yard-line-for-2015-season

This really won't make a huge difference IMO. A 32 Yard FG is still not that hard for the average kicker in the NFL, all it really does is encourage more 2 point attempts. There will definitely be more, but I'm inclined to think that there won't be any moments this season where we'll look back on and be like "Man, X team should've gone for two when they scored with Y time left. It would have made much more sense."

Either way, interesting nonetheless.

Doubt it'll even encourage more 2pt conversions, that's just another play your QB can get injured on so unless it's the last quarter and you're behind or the odd attempt to tie up a game in the 3rd, I doubt it changed much. If anything it's just extra pressure on the kicker.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)