League of Legends: Let's Talk About uhhh??

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I don't

What they did to Ryze is really just completely counter to most of what they claim to be tryin to do, particularly with regards to champion diversity

They made him a shitty copy pasta AP Mage with linear 'skills got' q, cc w, utility damage e, with the only change being his ult is garbage. Even his passive is the typical once every x spells get a boost. Just a horrible 'redesign' all around.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
TBF, he is supposed to be the typical AP mage. He's the beginner AP class champion, like how Ashe is the typical ADC. I never played Ryze, but from his rework I like how they introduced a bit of counterplay while still keeping him simple for beginners

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've always thought it depended on whether you were going to build tanky or straight damage. For example, Irelia will build one damage item (sometimes two) then go tanky, so she would appreciate the extra Magic Resist later on in the game, but someone like Yasuo, who build straight damage, needs as good of a laning phase as possible, so would opt for straight MR. It really depends on the champ, but the rule of thumb I take with scaling runes is if they have a good laning phase run scaling, if they have a poop laning phase but really good late game then flat would be better.

flat magic resist is best against high ap damage bullies like rumble, viktor, leblanc, etc where you want to survive their damage. adc's will also typically take these because most support champions rely on ap spell damage for harass (morgana, nami, annie, soraka, janna, etc, and leona/alistar/thresh abilities are all magic damage as well)

scaling magic resist/flat ap/scaling ap/whatever else any other time depending on playstyle and personal preference

if you have limited rune pages just stick with scaling mr, it's useful more often for more champions

also lots of champions take 6 cdr blues, which with the cdr mastery in the offense tree gives 10% cdr

general rule of thumb:

adc/mid against AP: flat
support: flat, 5 flat/4 scaling if tanky support
top vs AP: flat
top vs tank/AD: scaling or CDR
jungle: scaling or CDR
mid vs AD: scaling or AP

honestly if you have limited rune pages or IP for runes I would just use flat on everything, scaling is better after level 9 but generally at that point in the game in soloqueue most deaths are due to bad positioning leading to quick assassinations or being caught out by thresh hook or something. flat definitely helps you optimally win trades in lane in mid/bot, while the difference in late game MR does not matter half the time when games are decided by someone getting caught out. scaling is definitely optimal for junglers (who gank minimally until level 6 or so anyway) and probably optimal for most tanks/bruisers, but it is not enough to really worry about for most other champs.

So...new Ashe.

Worth a ban in solo queue? From what I've read/heard and experienced when playing with or against her, she seems pretty nuts. I can see her being pick/ban in lcs if the tank meta continues. What's everyone's thoughts now shes been out for a bit?

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
OK BIG UPDATE BC I RLY LIKE THIS GAME NOW

New favorite champs in order and don't give me none of that lol u can't jungle bc ur only lv 18 scrub (1.Udyr/Gragas (JG) 2. Veigar (Mid) 3 Nautilus (Support))))

Troubles in general:

I'm guessing this is going to be an "OBVIOUSLY, YES" question but should I unlock my camera a majority of the time and turn smartcast on? I know smartcast is useful and i don't want to be restricted to a cursor nursing me my whole life but I feel as though it's gonna be really hard for me to make the change. Same with the camera; I know it's useful but should I just try having it locked most of the time or should I gradually ease into it?

Champ-specific troubles:

Veigar: I love playing veigar, I really do. But some of the crap I see I find utterly impossible and unreachable and I'd love to know if you guys have any experience with this one. People say Veigar should endgame with ~1000-1100 AP and I have no idea how they do it. I know to last-hit minions with my Q to grab AP and stuff but I can still normally only hit 700 endgame. my build consists of magic pen boots, rabadon's, zhonya's, morellonomicon, athene's unholy grail, void staff, and rylai's crystal scepter. I don't see how these people endgame with so much AP and I was wondering where I'd get the rest; it seems like a huge gap.

Nautilus: I'm guessing this is reliant on other ppl but how do you get people to follow up after you initiate? They normally just sit behind and watch me die when they have a prime chance to kill/assist. It just annoys me when I waste an ulti to try and get our adc or whoever to kill someone and I end up dying bc the support had no support (xd)

Udyr/Gragas: I'm doing fine with at the moment, if anything I'd like to know when the best times to clear jungle are and that's about it. I do surprisingly well when ganking with them and I don't end up being that jungler who does nothing

ty for help in advance :]

add me @ SteelUragaan

• your veigar build is a little off; you generally only want either morellonomicon or grail, not both. you've also listed seven items. most veigar players usually don't build rylai's either since veigar is all about burst - however, you're probably going to want a defensive item at some point in the end-game (usually guardian angel, banshee's veil, or quicksilver sash depending on the game)
  • faker goes grail + sorc shoes into deathcap->void staff->luden's echo->hourglass, which is a pretty solid item build.
  • re: nautilus - it's more about your team; as you level up and get better at the game your team will generally also get better and will follow up on your engages as long as you're not too far ahead of the rest of your team
  • clear when you're not ganking, really. learning when to gank and when to farm comes with experience and you'll naturally get better at it.

there's two ways you can help adapt to smartcast and/or unlocked camera.

if you play with unlocked camera, you can press space to center your camera on your champion, and hold space to keep it locked when you want it to be. locked camera is undeniably better during teamfights, but you will never have any map awareness unless you play with unlocked most of the time. either switch to unlocked ASAP and hold space during fights if you want, or set the spacebar to "locked camera toggle" so you can get the best of both worlds when you want it.

smartcast with range indicators is the best for new champions or new players, I would definitely recommend eventually switching but not necessarily immediately. keep the range indicators on for a while, though, it's only better to turn them off if you know 100% of the ranges of the champions you play (and even then a lot of people prefer them on).

for both cases the best way to make the change is just by ripping the band-aid off and jumping into it. both are definitely better for the long run.

Veigar: I know to last-hit minions with my Q to grab AP and stuff but I can still normally only hit 700 endgame. my build consists of magic pen boots, rabadon's, zhonya's, morellonomicon, athene's unholy grail, void staff, and rylai's crystal scepter. I don't see how these people endgame with so much AP and I was wondering where I'd get the rest; it seems like a huge gap.
most people do it by being really efficient with Q farming, but you don't need both morello's and athene's in a build. just grabbing one (morello's probably, but they are about the same) should give you 25% CDR (35% with blue buff) and enough mana to use your Q efficiently without going oom thanks to your passive. you will find yourself with ~100 more AP if you sub out the other with a Luden's Echo or something. imo the best build is the 3 120 AP items, void staff, boots and morello's.

I won a game with Elise, AMA

proof
since the site never loads properly for me, cinderhulk or magus? Elise is such a tweener that I'm not sure what the cool kids build on her.

GlassGlaceon

• your veigar build is a little off; you generally only want either morellonomicon or grail, not both. you've also listed seven items. most veigar players usually don't build rylai's either since veigar is all about burst - however, you're probably going to want a defensive item at some point in the end-game (usually guardian angel, banshee's veil, or quicksilver sash depending on the game)
  • faker goes grail + sorc shoes into deathcap->void staff->luden's echo->hourglass, which is a pretty solid item build.
  • re: nautilus - it's more about your team; as you level up and get better at the game your team will generally also get better and will follow up on your engages as long as you're not too far ahead of the rest of your team
  • clear when you're not ganking, really. learning when to gank and when to farm comes with experience and you'll naturally get better at it.
reason i listen seven items is because those are the seven i use, not me hacking the game and getting seven. Thanks for the advice n_n

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
since the site never loads properly for me, cinderhulk or magus? Elise is such a tweener that I'm not sure what the cool kids build on her.
Personally, I think that Elise is completely outclassed as a cinderhulk jungler, considering that you can just play Gragas if you want a mobile champ with health % damage, and even the likes of Sejuani and Rek'Sai put more work than Elise by going cinderhulk due to their superior aoe damage/utility, even though I'd say Elise is on par with Rek'Sai during the early game no matter her jungle item (that is, if you can use her kit's potentialities. Elise is still the best champion to tower dive with during the early game).

With that said, going Magus into mpen and Rylai is probably the best build right now, which gives you a ridiculous clear, objective control, damage on champions and heal on frenzy. Plus, it's worth mentioning that both of Elise's Q spells apply Rylai's full slow, making it a really good pickup (it was underrated even when Elise was at her viability's peak). It also helps with this build's HP deficit. From there, you can either transition into a tank by grabbing a Randuin's and an MR item (Abyssal is good against underfed magic damage dealers, Locket and Visage/Banshee if they're slightly more fed) or just keep on stacking AP with Zhonya to last longer and Luden's Echo, which goes really well with the amount of spammable spells Elise has.

In short, the two most efficient builds on Elise currently:

Magus (with either Trailblazer or Chilling Smite) -> Sorc -> Haunting Guise -> Rylai's -> Zhonya -> Luden's -> Sell Haunting Guise for Void Staff or Abyssal Scepter

or

Magus -> Sorc -> Guise -> Rylai -> Randuin's -> MR item -> Upgrade Guise or get Abyssal if you haven't already. Void Staff doesn't really go well with tankier Elise IMO.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
OK BIG UPDATE BC I RLY LIKE THIS GAME NOW

New favorite champs in order and don't give me none of that lol u can't jungle bc ur only lv 18 scrub (1.Udyr/Gragas (JG) 2. Veigar (Mid) 3 Nautilus (Support))))

Troubles in general:

I'm guessing this is going to be an "OBVIOUSLY, YES" question but should I unlock my camera a majority of the time and turn smartcast on? I know smartcast is useful and i don't want to be restricted to a cursor nursing me my whole life but I feel as though it's gonna be really hard for me to make the change. Same with the camera; I know it's useful but should I just try having it locked most of the time or should I gradually ease into it?

Champ-specific troubles:

Veigar: I love playing veigar, I really do. But some of the crap I see I find utterly impossible and unreachable and I'd love to know if you guys have any experience with this one. People say Veigar should endgame with ~1000-1100 AP and I have no idea how they do it. I know to last-hit minions with my Q to grab AP and stuff but I can still normally only hit 700 endgame. my build consists of magic pen boots, rabadon's, zhonya's, morellonomicon, athene's unholy grail, void staff, and rylai's crystal scepter. I don't see how these people endgame with so much AP and I was wondering where I'd get the rest; it seems like a huge gap.

Nautilus: I'm guessing this is reliant on other ppl but how do you get people to follow up after you initiate? They normally just sit behind and watch me die when they have a prime chance to kill/assist. It just annoys me when I waste an ulti to try and get our adc or whoever to kill someone and I end up dying bc the support had no support (xd)

Udyr/Gragas: I'm doing fine with at the moment, if anything I'd like to know when the best times to clear jungle are and that's about it. I do surprisingly well when ganking with them and I don't end up being that jungler who does nothing

ty for help in advance :]

add me @ SteelUragaan
glass *-*

just saying that while a lot of people prefer unlocked camera, I've found there is no real answer, since its up to everyone's preference. For example, I keep my camera locked 90% of the time and if I need to look elsewhere I just drag around on the minimap to check out other lanes or gank spots. Unlocked can give you better map awareness though, especially if you play top since you will need to check Bot lane often to know when to TP gank.

I don't like the new veigar, but I absolutely hated the old veigar so I had to learn a bit of how he played to beat him in lane. While last hitting with Q gives free AP, from what I've seen most people don't or didn't use it to farm up like Nasus, instead using it to poke at times, since its a guaranteed point and click spell. At the end of the day, Veigar isn't really a "carry" as he can't really 1v5 teams. He's pretty much solely an ap based assassin. Late game you play the bush game, wait until their carries walk by, and just q ult one of them and walk away because they're dead. Since you don't really need to tankbust, farming for AP is kinda pointless, as you have enough damage late game that you nuke anyone anyway, and anything more is overkill (like a Nasus with 700 stacks saying he needs to stack more). As others have said, 2 mana regen items is kinda poopy, I would run Athene's most of the time since Veigar is best suited to be an anti-mage (since his ult scales off of like, 80% of his opponent's AP), and the extra MR can help you to survive some stuff. Plus, the passive helps better than the Morello's better, since you are meant to completely one-shot an opponent with a full spell rotation, you gain back some of the mana, rather than just applying grievous wounds (that's more for like poke champions IMO, like Nidalee or Ahri).

If you are having trouble getting people to follow, you can always type it in chat: "Hey Ashe, when I hook Graves, go in please." Or you can just spam ping the target and that usually gets their attention. If they don't respond then there really isn't much you can do :{

When I jungle I usually clear one or two camps before I gank a lane, however this doesn't apply if you are someone who should solely gank, like Lee Sin. Your jungle route usually goes gromp -->blue --> wolves then back for most jungles, then clear red side if you are at the top of the map (Red Side) or Krugs --> Red --> Wolves --> Blue if you are Blue Side (this is the route I usually take). Usually you gank once you have both buffs for the first time, unless they have snowbally lanes, like a Riven v Irelia matchup, where an early gank can win your guy the lane. Also, always remember to grab Scuttle whenever you can for the extra vision and the movement speed utility!

DansGame

Max R>E>Q>W, the reduced cooldown on Q is too important for Amumu.

Also you can buy tier 1 runes, they're like 15-30 IP a pop and they're half as effective as tier 3 runes.
I max W first and E last if they only have like 1-2 AD champs. Having an extra point in W early on helps with clear speed.

@ Finally flat MR glyphs are significantly better for laning vs AP champs or champs that do mixed damage. They are also a decent pick if you expect to play aggressively early on and do not want to get cheesed by an AP jungler. I usually use Scaling MR since it makes weaker magic damage from supports and stuff like Sunfire fall off a decent amount. In lower elos mages don't itemize properly all the time so it's ok for that too. Flat MR is safer, requires less rune pages, and is better for blind pick.

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
On Amumu, the extra point in W is *ok* but I've been having more success just maxing E>Q and leaving W as a one-point wonder. Your E is the vast majority of your damage/jungle sustain early regardless and W is, frankly, utter shit, no matter how many points you put into it.

GlassGlaceon You're probably getting stuck around 700 AP for two reasons: 1. Being level 18, you probably don't have optimal Runes/Masteries, which, given the various multipliers that you get on AP from Deathcap or masteries, makes a huge difference (often like 150-200 lategame). Secondly, again, as a level 18 you probably aren't farming optimally. At 30 minutes how much CS do you have? 150? 200? The standard 1000-1100 number thrown about is probably assuming you are constantly farming the Q and getting something on the order of 200 AP off of it; I'm guessing that you're getting half that based on the 700 number.

Finally, Morellos and Grail shouldn't be doubled up unless you're not getting blue buff at all and (for some reason) aren't taking 5% cdr in the offense mastery tree (which you should 100% of the time). Also build a Luden's Echo early on every single game, it is vastly better than Grail on a burst champion like Veigar.

These tips will probably get you up to like 900 (once you have the runes/masteries/item build changes), the rest will come with practice via last hitting.

GlassGlaceon

On Amumu, the extra point in W is *ok* but I've been having more success just maxing E>Q and leaving W as a one-point wonder. Your E is the vast majority of your damage/jungle sustain early regardless and W is, frankly, utter shit, no matter how many points you put into it.

GlassGlaceon You're probably getting stuck around 700 AP for two reasons: 1. Being level 18, you probably don't have optimal Runes/Masteries, which, given the various multipliers that you get on AP from Deathcap or masteries, makes a huge difference (often like 150-200 lategame). Secondly, again, as a level 18 you probably aren't farming optimally. At 30 minutes how much CS do you have? 150? 200? The standard 1000-1100 number thrown about is probably assuming you are constantly farming the Q and getting something on the order of 200 AP off of it; I'm guessing that you're getting half that based on the 700 number.

Finally, Morellos and Grail shouldn't be doubled up unless you're not getting blue buff at all and (for some reason) aren't taking 5% cdr in the offense mastery tree (which you should 100% of the time). Also build a Luden's Echo early on every single game, it is vastly better than Grail on a burst champion like Veigar.

These tips will probably get you up to like 900 (once you have the runes/masteries/item build changes), the rest will come with practice via last hitting.
I /usually/ endgame with around 125-150 cs, I'm not too bad for being new if i do say so myself but i know i can be better

I never thought of the runes thing, ty for mentioning it!

Thanks for all the advice y'all!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)