Resource ORAS RU Role Compendium

Status
Not open for further replies.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
Add Medicham to Bulk Up and Baton Pass. Bulk Up Medicham is pretty underated and works well with a Pursuit trapper so Medicham can pass it a +1 boost and trap bulky Psychics (Reuniclus, Uxie) and Spiritomb to an extent. Choice Scarf Medicham can also make good use of Baton Pass.

You have Druddigon listed twice under offensive Fire-type checks. Also, if you're gonna have Druddigon as an offensive Fire-type check, you may as well have Mega Steelix listed as an offensive Psychic-type check. It hits them pretty hard with Adamant Heavy Slam and can even break past them easily after a Curse if you want to go that route.

I would add Reuniclus as an offensive Fighting-type check. Choice Specs and Trick Room are offensive enough.

I think Escavalier should be placed as a defensive Psychic-type check. This thought is more directed to Escavalier's Swords Dance RestTalk set, which I know has uses on stall as both a defensive Pokemon and a win condition.

I would add Rotom-C and Braviary to offensive pivots. I would also add Medicham, Durant, Noivern, Mesprit, and Meloetta there. Medicham and Durant have Baton Pass to pivot and Noivern, Meloetta, and Mesprit have U-turn. Meloetta is the shakiest of the ones I mentioned but I think it's fine.

Under defensive pivots, Uxie and Pelipper are cool with U-turn. Togetic can also make use of Baton Pass to pivot.

Add Uxie to defensive Fighting-type checks and Sneasel to offensive Psychic-type checks. I don't think I need to explain these two.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Some small things:

Add Gallade to Wallbreakers.
Add Flygon to Choice Scarf users.
Add Cobalion to Rock Polish in boosting sweepers. Double Dance is an option on it.

boltsandbombers

Sneasel is currently an A- ranked mon but I don't see it on the list. It would fit into Trappers, Sweeper and Wallbreaker section.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Add Medicham to Bulk Up and Baton Pass. Bulk Up Medicham is pretty underated and works well with a Pursuit trapper so Medicham can pass it a +1 boost and trap bulky Psychics (Reuniclus, Uxie) and Spiritomb to an extent. Choice Scarf Medicham can also make good use of Baton Pass.

You have Druddigon listed twice under offensive Fire-type checks. Also, if you're gonna have Druddigon as an offensive Fire-type check, you may as well have Mega Steelix listed as an offensive Psychic-type check. It hits them pretty hard with Adamant Heavy Slam and can even break past them easily after a Curse if you want to go that route.

I would add Reuniclus as an offensive Fighting-type check. Choice Specs and Trick Room are offensive enough.

I think Escavalier should be placed as a defensive Psychic-type check. This thought is more directed to Escavalier's Swords Dance RestTalk set, which I know has uses on stall as both a defensive Pokemon and a win condition.

I would add Rotom-C and Braviary to offensive pivots. I would also add Medicham, Durant, Noivern, Mesprit, and Meloetta there. Medicham and Durant have Baton Pass to pivot and Noivern, Meloetta, and Mesprit have U-turn. Meloetta is the shakiest of the ones I mentioned but I think it's fine.

Under defensive pivots, Uxie and Pelipper are cool with U-turn. Togetic can also make use of Baton Pass to pivot.

Add Uxie to defensive Fighting-type checks and Sneasel to offensive Psychic-type checks. I don't think I need to explain these two.
did, although medicham seems like a pretty bad offensive pivot because that implies it can switch in on stuff which isnt true. Durant makes sense because while it is frail it has some useful resistances while medicham is limited to just rock I think, and that isnt enough to warrant being an effective pivot imo. Medicham seems like the shakiest from your list, Meloetta has solid bulk so it seems like a pretty decent pivot.
Some small things:

Add Gallade to Wallbreakers.
Add Flygon to Choice Scarf users.
Add Cobalion to Rock Polish in boosting sweepers. Double Dance is an option on it.

boltsandbombers
did
no need to tag me its my own thread xd
Sneasel is currently an A- ranked mon but I don't see it on the list. It would fit into Trappers, Sweeper and Wallbreaker section.
I dont think it should be in the trapper section for this reason that I said earlier:
I'll put it in priority, but I'm under the impression that Pursuit is really difficult to fit onto its moveset with Knock / Shard / Low Kick / Icicle Crash being the bread and butter necessities.
Is it really sweeping a team? I mean, I still dont think it really has room to squeeze in SD onto its set. Wallbreakers is fine, I'll add it there.
Updated with a few other things I missed.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
did, although medicham seems like a pretty bad offensive pivot because that implies it can switch in on stuff which isnt true.
I'm not sure how offensive pivot implies that it takes hits in the slightest. Offensive pivots like Medicham can make good use of Baton Pass because of the offensive pressure that it can apply to the opposing team (Pure Power HJK hits really hard and it's troublesome for offensive teams to take on with a scarf). Stuff like Durant shouldn't be taking hits any more than Medicham should, especially if you want to keep them relatively healthy to be effective revenge killers later on. Just an example: The opponent has a Tyrantrum out and you have a scarf Medicham. Obvious HJK is obvious so they switch out into, say, Reuniclus, but you can then Baton Pass out to something that handles Reuniclus like a Pursuit trapper or something like Swords Dance Drapion. Trick can cripple most defensive Medicham answers of course, but I have a couple issues with it: 1) you can't use Knock Off as safely with your other Pokemon because they could remove Reuniclus's scarf, enabling it to come in later and recover up the damage taken from the Knock Off. 2) It doesn't actually remove the threat of Reuniclus, so while it can't wall Medicham as well, it can still somewhat handle it. 3) You lose Medicham's scarf, so you have to decide whether to lose your good revenge killer or cripple Reuniclus. Baton Pass is definitely a nice option on Medicham and I would add it as an offensive pivot for the above reasons.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how offensive pivot implies that it takes hits in the slightest. Offensive pivots like Medicham can make good use of Baton Pass because of the offensive pressure that it can apply to the opposing team (Pure Power HJK hits really hard and it's troublesome for offensive teams to take on with a scarf). Stuff like Durant shouldn't be taking hits any more than Medicham should, especially if you want to keep them relatively healthy to be effective revenge killers later on. Just an example: The opponent has a Tyrantrum out and you have a scarf Medicham. Obvious HJK is obvious so they switch out into, say, Reuniclus, but you can then Baton Pass out to something that handles Reuniclus like a Pursuit trapper or something like Swords Dance Drapion. Trick can cripple most defensive Medicham answers of course, but I have a couple issues with it: 1) you can't use Knock Off as safely with your other Pokemon because they could remove Reuniclus's scarf, enabling it to come in later and recover up the damage taken from the Knock Off. 2) It doesn't actually remove the threat of Reuniclus, so while it can't wall Medicham as well, it can still somewhat handle it. 3) You lose Medicham's scarf, so you have to decide whether to lose your good revenge killer or cripple Reuniclus. Baton Pass is definitely a nice option on Medicham and I would add it as an offensive pivot for the above reasons.
Sorry buddy, but imo the definition of a pivot is something that can switch in, usually not on a risky prediction or a sacrifice, take a hit or eat a status, and u-turn or volt switch out. Now medi does have baton pass, but the fact that it's so frail does make it kinda questionable if referring to it as a "pivot". I think that especially on a scarf set, the word you are looking for is more under like a scouter or just something that can grab momentum, as that is a really good quality of BP as you mentioned.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
"An offensive pivot will force a switch by threatening KO on the opponent, thus obtaining momentum, whereas a defensive pivot will be difficult to break past, and thus will slow the opponent's momentum."
I got this straight from an article provided by Smogon. If the definition has changed since the article was last written, then that's definitely good to know, but otherwise, I think I'm right here. :/

I suggest that a 'cleaners' or 'vanilla sweepers' section should be added. This is because there are a few viable sweepers that don't actually have to set up in order to sweep late-game, such as Jolteon and Sneasel. These Pokemon are just as capable at sweeping as many of the boosting attackers, however they don't fit under any of the current categories. I would also add Accelgor to this section, and maybe Fletchinder too, as both can easily sweep unboosted once their checks have been eliminated.

Regarding Medicham, I think that it should be placed in Offensive Pivots. Although Medicham doesn't have many useful resistances, a pivot is simply a Pokemon that can gain momentum for its team through Baton Pass/U-turn/Volt Switch. Medicham can come in after one of its teammates has been KO'd, scare its opponent out with its insane offensive presence, and then Baton Pass on the Jellicent/Aromatisse/Reuniclus switch into the appropriate counter. This makes it a very effective pivot in my opinion, and thus I believe it should be added to said section.

-kal-

hi guys
is a Contributor Alumnus
Samurott should be added to wallbreakers. The SD set can rip through CM Reuniclus, Tangrowth and Uxie with Megahorn. Aromatisse is also 2HKOed by +2 LO Waterfall. Special attacking sets is also extremely powerful. The combination of Grass Knot+Ice Beam+Hydro Pump coverage can break many balanced teams and this is also coupled with Samurott's powerful raw power

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
Could we add some categories to this thread? Some roles that come to mind are Hazers / Pseud-Hazers and Walls which could be split into Defense, Special Defense, and Mixed.

Knock Off users might be helpful too.

Maybe you can add Piloswine as Ofensive Fire-type Check (and Priority user), with his abilty Thick Fat he can enter into Camerupt, Delphox, Emboar and Houndoom and koing them with EQ. Oh, and add Musharna to Clerics and CM booster.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Can also probably add Gourgeist-XL to Fighting-type checks. It fares well against most outside of Emboar and Scrafty. Gallade needs a Choice Band to 2HKO it with Knock Off, just to give you an idea to how fat it is physically.

Speaking of Fighting-type checks, Noivern is still there, so you may want to remove that one.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Minor nitpick but the Viability rankings link sends you to the old one. Should be linking to the new one.

You should add a section about Weather Pokemon and what mons work on those playstyles. It would include mons like Ludicolo, Mantine, Poliwrath, Uxie, Meowstic, Regirock, Hippopotas, Stoutland, Delphox, Jynx, Kabutops, and Omastar.

Add druddigon to wallbreakers.

Also add mega banette to offensive fighting type checks since it can switch in once and KO most bar gurdurr in return, add it to priority because prankster and add it to taunt users.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)