Resource ORAS NU Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely agree with Cryogonal. It seems a lot of mons suffer in this meta...:pirate:
anyway, thought I'd join back in...
Mantine B ----> B-/C+
Not sure if anyone mentioned Mantine but unfortunately this thing keeps continuing to suffer. If you want a bulky water typed defogger your best answer is Pelipper who can Pivot out of bad situations, reliable fighting switch in and recovery. This thing is hindered by the current meta which resolves around Lanturn (it's biggest problem)and other threats like Banded Sneasels, it's unable to touch it what so ever. Offensive Mantines are only able to get a lousy 4HKO with LO Hidden Power against pesky Lanturn. Don't get me wrong it's still a decent mon with some cool stuff to offer like Haze for those aids smash pass teams and other boosters but Mantine isn't the way to go at this moment. xd

Swanna B- ----> C+/C
This metagame isn't a nice place for Swanna either. And it's not the defogger it use to be. 98 base speed is good but it's left outspeed by a lot of other offensive mons whom can easily KO swanna due to it's mediocre bulk meaning it gets fewer chances to defog/attack it's even Pursuit bait for Banded Sneasel. It's also unable to abuse it's fantastic offensive stab combination because again Lanturn is extremely common and laughs at whatever it tries to do. It's a shame that it's really restricted on it's moveslots so there isn't room for much else.

Ariados D ----> Unranked
Can we drop this thing while were at it? Literally the worst sticky webs user. The ever so common Xatu makes easy work of this thing and there's not to mention Sticky Webs has never been that effective. Toxic spikes is the only thing that makes it different from the other web users and it really isn't that much of a niche. Base 40 speed is so bad leaving outspeed by common threats and it's usually only able to get 1 turn off before it dies. Also Kabutops and other spinners are pretty easy to throw on teams which which just cancel out it's little input.

Neutral on where Ariados ends up, but just letting you know that technically Ariados has a decent chance to beat Xatu b/c if it megahorns on the switch it does >50% and xatu cant roost on it or OHKO it.

252+ Atk Ariados Megahorn vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Xatu: 151-178 (45.3 - 53.4%) -- 35.2% chance to 2HKO (and nobody runs max max xatu)

I would like to nominate Togetic to go up to B+.

Togetic does it's job really well. The niches it has are good niches, and unlike Pelipper, it dosen't get OHKOed by an Electric type move from most mons.

252 Atk Life Orb Electivire Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Togetic: 198-237 (63.2 - 75.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Rotom-F Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Togetic: 164-194 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Rotom-S Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Togetic: 164-194 (52.3 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

And unlike most stally Pokemon down in NU, Togetic actually can do damage with Seismic Toss. It can be a cleric with Heal Bell as well, cripple with Thunder Wave, and it gets Defog too. Also, it's typing is great defensively, having 2 immunties to common types and checking many other types. But what if you don't like defensive builds? NastyPass is a thing, so you can easily enable one of your teammates to sweep, or if you don't have any viable special attackers on your team anymore, Togetic can do decent damage with Dazzling Gleam/Fire Blast. It's diverse.

Mawile to A+ or bust.

Depending on your style of play, you have come to either love or hate this Pokemon. Judging by the number of Mawile on the ladder, and the fact that it is a staple on one of the most stale team archetypes since the M Steelix and Heliolisk teams, I would say this a safe nomination to make. When Mawile was first dropped, Life Orb Sheer Force Mawile was the set to look for. But as the metagame has shifted, Defensive Intimidate Mawile has seemingly taken over. This is due to Mawile's ability to shake off top tier physical threats. In the current metagame, Mawile (or Granbull, though I see it is getting some love) is seen disgustingly often as the premiere Sneasel check. That's only one role that Mawile can fill though. Mawile has an excellent offensive and support move pool. Among its most notable support options are Stealth Rock, Substitute, Swords Dance, Baton Pass, Toxic, Super Fang, and Taunt. A defensive mon that doesn't give up momentum, and can possibly even gain some on some physical threats. Not too shabby. Now I have shown a ton of love for the defensive set in this post, but let's not sleep on the Mawile that we started with. Offensive Mawile is still incredibly potent with a large variety of coverage options to pick apart opposing teams. Life Orb, Sheer Force boosted moves are pretty impressive for the most part. The offensive Mawile set is also one of the better M Audino checks in the tier (unless they have Fire Blast, rip). Lastly, we are all sleeping on the almighty special Mawile. Looking through posts concerning why Mawile dropped back during the Magneton meta, the majority of them cited Magneton as the supporting evidence. Now that Magnets is gone, I think it's time the king retook his throne (notably lower than the S rank thrones but yanno).

Tl;Dr Mawile is good.

PS: M Mawile is way cuter, so I used it to beautify my post.

Last edited:
Mawile to A+ or bust.

Depending on your style of play, you have come to either love or hate this Pokemon. Judging by the number of Mawile on the ladder, and the fact that it is a staple on one of the most stale team archetypes since the M Steelix and Heliolisk teams, I would say this a safe nomination to make. When Mawile was first dropped, Life Orb Sheer Force Mawile was the set to look for. But as the metagame has shifted, Defensive Intimidate Mawile has seemingly taken over. This is due to Mawile's ability to shake off top tier physical threats. In the current metagame, Mawile (or Granbull, though I see it is getting some love) is seen disgustingly often as the premiere Sneasel check. That's only one role that Mawile can fill though. Mawile has an excellent offensive and support move pool. Among its most notable support options are Stealth Rock, Substitute, Swords Dance, Baton Pass, Toxic, Super Fang, and Taunt. A defensive mon that doesn't give up momentum, and can possibly even gain some on some physical threats. Not too shabby. Now I have shown a ton of love for the defensive set in this post, but let's not sleep on the Mawile that we started with. Offensive Mawile is still incredibly potent with a large variety of coverage options to pick apart opposing teams. Life Orb, Sheer Force boosted moves are pretty impressive for the most part. The offensive Mawile set is also one of the better M Audino checks in the tier (unless they have Fire Blast, rip). Lastly, we are all sleeping on the almighty special Mawile. Looking through posts concerning why Mawile dropped back during the Magneton meta, the majority of them cited Magneton as the supporting evidence. Now that Magnets is gone, I think it's time the king retook his throne (notably lower than the S rank thrones but yanno).

Tl;Dr Mawile is good.

PS: M Mawile is way cuter, so I used it to beautify my post.

I second this. Like you said, special Mawile is the best. Also, even though defensive Intimidate set is more common, you still don't know if it is running Sheer Force LO, defensive Intimidate, or Hyper Cutter sweeper. Speaking of it's abilities, all are really good and benefit it a lot. All of the coverage options mentioned all can fit on a defensive set (or an offensive set in some cases). Magnets being gone helps. Final note: This thing is one of the two reasons I run Fire Blast M-Audino. (The other is Klinklang, but Maw has a better typing which makes it more resilient to Fairies.)

From what I am using right now, I noticed that Croconaw and Pikachu being unranked is a crime.

Croconaw is a seriously amazing Dragon Dance sweeper, easily overlooked but it can often sweep after a Dragon Dance especially on HO Teams, outspeeding everything up to base 110s after one Dragon Dance (and Scarf Rotom after two). It hits hard thanks to Sheer Force, and can use a LO for another power increment, or just Eviolite if it wants to be more bulky, making setup easier and revengekilling harder. The fact that the metagame is focused on rather frail offense heavily as it is, makes it a lot easier for Croconaw to sweep after it found oppertunities to set up.

Pikachu is just nothing but ExtremeSpeed coming from 458 attack, and its high attack stats make it nearly impossible to switch into because it is often mixed, and can even go special. But its defining niche (or gimmick?) is ExtremeSpeed, which can 2HKO most of the tier after hazards, Sneasel even being in danger of an OHKO and so is Gallade if it is worn down slightly. Pikachu is the bane of both offense and stall depending on its set, which makes it pretty scary, though Pikachu is outclassed by most Electric mons in any other role than abusing ExtremeSpeed, which is why it should run max attack with an Adamant (or Naughty) nature. It can be unranked again after either Sneasel and Gallade are banned or decline in usage after a Knock Off ban, though, but having the most powerful revengekiller after Fletchinder in the tier unranked does not do it justice.
For reference:
252+ Atk Light Ball Pikachu Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 209-246 (83.2 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Fletchinder Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 253-298 (100.7 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Sneasel Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 100-118 (39.8 - 47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Scyther Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 164-193 (65.3 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Edit: Calcs added, and noticed Fletchinder was more powerful. However, Pikachu is still faster. It is also worth noting there are some more STAB powerful Sucker Punches, but those get foiled by a Will-O-Wisp or faster priority unlike Pikachu's ExtremeSpeed (not to mention that ESpeed is in a different priority bracket altogether).

Last edited:

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ

Did someone say Stealth Rock?

As a 95% Xatu user, I'm honestly surprised this pesky burd isn't at LEAST A+, and in my opinion shapes the meta enough to be S rank.

First off, Xatu isn't a one trick pony. Besides keeping hazards off the field relatively easily as a Magic bounce pivot (with crazy Fire/Grass/Psychic coverage that bops most SRers), Xatu can also serve as a Calm mind cleaner and ruin stall teams and pesky Mega-Audionos single-handedly.

It's also decently fast with a base 95 speed and can outspeed a large amount of pokemon with little-to-no speed investment. With a Colburr berry it becomes a game of 50/50 vs Sneasels especially with U-turn and Heatwave up its sleeve, so even its biggest check can be taken care of with a little prediction.
It is also worth noting that hazard removers in NU are generally underwelming and/or unreliable.

The main spinners (Claydol, Kabutops, Crygonal, Sandslash) are decent, but struggle vs ghosts and are easy to wittle down, as none of them have recovery outside of Cryogonal (aka Sneasel Bait), making them ineffective vs many stall/balance teams.
Defoggers are even worse, as Prinplup is passive AF with literally 0 recovery, and the only other viable defogger, Archeops, functions way better with a coverage move or roost instead of defog, and hates switching in and taking 25% every time as well, lowering it closer to defeatist.

I don't really think anything else needs to be explained in text, as most of you already are already quite acquainted with its strong presence.

Most used Ghosts get OHKO'd by Sandslash' Knock Off or Claydol's Shadow Ball, so there is that, though, but it is indeed true the spinner has to predict well.

agreeing w/ xatu to A+ because it's unreal rn and is a staple on most balance teams, however not because it keeps rocks off the field. I mean in this meta where the most common SR setter is defensive maw then xatu keeps rocks off, but what really makes it good is its ability to practically invalidate spikes on more defensive teams in the current meta since the only way to get spikes by it is by running like offensive Garb or relying on poisons from defensive garb.

mawile to A+ seems like a good fit rn too since it's a great defensive pivot and a good check to scary physical attackers w/ intimidate. Offensive sets are relatively unseen and they're probably really underprepared for right now. good unpredictable mon that is one of the top in the metagame and should be A+.

no comment on pyroar cause I havent used it in a while

Can we move Quag --> A, cause it's really good right now. Its a good glue on balance that checks a lot of threats that balance teams are weak to right now like CroDino, Malamar, DD don, SD Kabu and Klinklang. it's an extremely annoying mon for offense to face because it walls the hell out of every set-up sweeper outside of lilligant which can ruin unprepared teams. its better than stuff like liepard, mismagius and stunfisk right now and on par with stuff like rotom, scyther and gurdurr.

Also can we move Torterra --> B i never understood the hype around this mon post magnets and it really isnt deserving of A at all rofl. it loses to all of the S-mons, the majority of the A+ mons, and pretty much every offensive mon in A as well. it has pretty severe 4mss because it needs rocks recovery dual stabs and SE if it wants to be effective, and definitely isnt up to par w/ the other A or even A- mons.

Last nom im gonna make is Stunfisk ---> B its not magneton meta anymore we don't have to use this lol. it still has the niche of being a SR setter that xatu is afraid of, but it really has fallen from glory. its still rly passive and doesn't check the top mons in the meta like it used to and its definitely below the level of the other A- mons. still checks gears which is nice, but the current meta really doesn't suit it well :/

also if someone (Montsegur , hollywood ) can give me an actual reason as to why gorebyss and huntail are in the same rank this time instead of just not replying that would be great so I don't have to keep bringing it up every time i post in this thread @_@

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
nigga idk why you actin like i use that shit

and no torterra is godly and quag is ass?

also we shouldn't move things up over their ability to "ruin unprepared teams" because there's no excuse not to prepare for anything b rank or above lol

lanturn to A+, this thing is amazing rn and is really a staple on most teams

i think Tort, Rhydon, Pyroar, and Jynx are more of A- mons rn, mainly cause 3/4 are Sneasel bait, and Rhydon is def not better than Regirock rn. I really don't like using Sneasel bait in this meta.

evire and eggy can prob drop too, theyre both solid but I think B+ suits them better, meta isnt kind to either of them. Also maybe mismagius drop even more? I really just am not a fan of it, what does it even do in this meta? I think Misdreavus is better than it thanks to hollywood

nigga idk why you actin like i use that shit

and no torterra is godly and quag is ass?

also we shouldn't move things up over their ability to "ruin unprepared teams" because there's no excuse not to prepare for anything b rank or above lol
that was 1 point and it was my weakest one .-. my other points still stand tho

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i do like colbur stallbreaker mismag but even then misdreavus gives it competition lol

most offensive sets are just ultra ass

YOOOOOOOO WHY IS LAPRAS NOT RANKED?

Lapras -> C:
Started off using it as a joke but steadily appreciated it more and more to the point now i think it's probably one of the most underrated mons being used right now. With such a massive hp stat, it can easily use all of its evs in both defenses and act as a whirlpool trapper with perish song. Volt switch from lanturn does jack, freeze dry is amazing + whirlpool making it easily one of the most annoying / reliable trappers right now and can easily wear teams down / trap massively bulky things like mega-audino, musharna, uxie / mawile since baton pass carries with them the perish song and the whirlpool. Water absorb is godly right now and hard to come by as well as just amazing bulk all round, i am extremely surprised to see it not even ranked when I consider it one of my favourite anti-meta pokemon right now. Also, a great sneasel check since knock off doesn't do much and quad-resisted icicle crash makes an excellent pivot / switch in.
My only beef is rocks, but with xatu being so common, it's really easy to keep them off the field for the game... then again it's only being ranked at C :]
Also, if you hate smashpass; it's the ultimate gorebyss counter :]

yo what is my boy zangoose doing sitting down in B+ with shit like Ninetails and Tangela? Zangoose is one of the best pokemon right now, literally OHKOing most of the tier with what is practically band 140 Stab coming off of 115 attack. theres not a single pokemon that is safe to switch into this, Facade 2HKO's Weezing, Quagsire, MAudino, Uxie and Granbull. Anything else that doesnt resist Facade is one shotted, and it has great coverage in CC and Knock Off to hit rock, steel, +ghost types. This thing is so insane in the offensive pressure it puts on teams, and is up there with meta-defining threats like Gallade, Sneasel, and Magmortar. Nomming to at least A-, if not A

Hey what's up guys, I was wondering if Lickilicky could possibly move up abit, a tiny bit, not huge
Its role as a phazer/healer might be abit outclassed, but i feel as though it can work. Dragon tail might not be a cool option to use, because mawile switch ins, but thats where you can possibly reveal stuff like fire blast lick, which cleanly 2hko's mawile easily. I think audino is leaving soon or whatever, so hey, it might be time to embrace our new saviour

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Gonna comment on some of these (also replying to Raseri, hollywood, Teddeh, Can-Eh-Dian, Water Drone):

I don't feel
has any reason to drop. Its speed tier is still great, it has access to strong and fairly spammable dual STABs grant it good killing power, and it remains the primary reason people would use Regirock over other Rock-types. Pyroar is not even that much "Sneasel bait" as some people claim it to be, at least when compared to several other mons such as Mesprit, Uxie, Xatu, Lilligant, Rotom, Scyther, Magmortar, etc..., especially considering even CB Sneasel doesn't OHKO it with Knock Off without the aid of SR or Life Orb recoil. It can stay in A Rank, and I probably won't even look away at a rise to A+.

is a bit too high right now, since its weaknesses + speed hamper it in that respect. Torterra's physical tankiness, coverage, and movepool options are still very solid though, so a mild drop to A- Rank is the lowest I'd like to see it.

is a respectable mon in my eyes. It walls a multitude of physical attackers and certain setup sweepers, ranging from Sneasel, Klinklang, Malamar, (non-Mold Breaker) Pinsir, Mega Audino, Tauros, Kangaskhan, Archeops, Mawile, Gurdurr, Psyshock Musharna, Hariyama, Kabutops, etc... With Curse + Recover, Quagsire proceeds to make all of them its playthings, and it is one of the most solid wincons I've used in this tier. If Quag doesn't find the time to setup, it can just keep itself healthy and throw out Scalds (or even just Earthquakes). While Quag is susceptible to Grass-types as well as nearly every special attacker in the tier, the fact that it stops at least two mons in each of S Rank and every sub-rank of A (much less the ranks below) is nothing short of impressive. I certainly wouldn't object to a rise to A Rank.

Its niche would be that it is the most common spinblocker that gives Cryogonal issues, but considering both it and Cryo are prime Sneasel bait atm, yeah....

I will say this thing is more versatile than it lets on: there's stuff like Specs (with perfect coverage in Water + Freeze-Dry), DD + HydraRest, PerishTrap, and there's even this funky DD + Freeze-Dry one that fuked me over one time. Of course all of those sets are pretty mediocre but the fact that they are unique while being somewhat half usable can give it a place in C- Rank, or C Rank I guess :/.

I believe the biggest reason Zangoose is falling out of favor is how prediction reliant it is, compared to fellow Facade sweeper Swellow. Zangoose needs to make every hit count, as its notably lower Speed tier means it doesn't scare off as much opponents as Swellow does (did I mention Swellow has Pursuit?), and if it whiffs its big shot against a Ghost / Rock / Steel switch-in, it would have less time / opportunities to make its impact on the field; Swellow on the other hand can just U-turn to do chip damage while avoiding Toxic damage. Zangoose being a one-trick pony (while Swellow has a usable Specs set) and Mawile running rampant would also be contributing factors to its current Rank.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Lanturn to A+. Even without Magneton, it is so easy to slap on teams as a pivot with the ability to cover waters and fires while it also has cleric, status, and offensive capabilities including a slow Volt Switch for momentum and the occasional Signal Beam to nail opposing Malamar. The normal Volt/Scald/(2 of Toxic, Heal Bell, Signal Beam, Protect, T-Wave, Ice Beam, etc.) defensive pivot set is obviously the most common and solid variant for the reasons listed above, but when discussing Lanturn, the specs set should also get a mention as it is a beast, too, due to the amount of surprise kills it can get and also the high damage output it has in general without compromising too much bulk, so I think overall it's an A+ worthy mon.

Mawile to A+. The SD Sheer Force set is potent - even without a boost, it can 2HKO a substantial portion of the tier when hitting neutrally with its STAB to show its strength with LO and Sheer Force. Sucker Punch is nice to nail offensive threats trying to revenge kill while it also can use Iron Head, Fire Fang, Sub, etc in the last slot alongside SD/Sucker/PRough (Iron Head most common last move, but all are solid based on my use of Maw). Without Magneton's presence, it cannot be a nuisance to Mawile and given that it got banned, problematic grounds are slightly less common, so the current metagame suits Mawile about as well as the metagame a few months ago did (only Fletch is kind of annoying and there is more need for Sneasel checks). Defensively speaking, it can abuse intimidate and stellar defensive typing to cripple things with Toxic or Super Fang while also setting up SR, passing SDs, or fulfilling some other supportive role given its good movepool. Seems like an A+ caliber mon to me given that it has multiple common and consistently effective variants.

Piloswine to A- or at least B+. It is now a premier ground type SR user given that Seismitoad's gone and we don't have to worry about Magneton, so it's better than Stunfisk and others. It can be incredibly bulky, especially with investment, while maintaining fair base 100 attack, a top notch dual STAB, and the ability to switch in multiple times each game given how many things it can switch in on without taking much damage. I find myself using it more often than Rhydon, which is A rank (although Rhy brings a lot to the table and can also function as a sweeper), so I think a rank or two lower than that would suit it, especially given that Stunfisk is still A-.

Poliwrath to B+. Specs Poli is amazing and one of the only offensive Sneasel checks (still does decent damage with specs knocked off). With Sneasel running rampant through the tier, it already deserves to rise, but then you factor in the fact that a lot of balanced or offensive teams lack a specs Poli switch in, it can absorb water moves from things like Samurott, it has solid dual STAB+Ice Beam coverage, and it can use Vacuum Wave as priority to help even more against quick offensive threats, and the idea of it rising to B+ seems like a no-brainier to me.

Sorry for any errors, typed on phone.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
I want to nominate Cacturne to go down to B+ rank. Cacturne is an interesting mob, as it can counter water types with water absorb and has a powerful Sucker Punch and can boost it with Swords Dance. But it has a lot of problems as well. First of all, it relys too much on Sucker punch for faster mons, who can manipulate Cacturne. It also has pitiful bulk, so any super effective moves or strong neutral ones can OHKO it. Also, fighting types like Gurdurr are everywhere because of sneasel, so the meta is not nice to it right now. Cacturne has some niches, but he has too many flaws for A-. Cacturne for B+

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
I want to nominate Cacturne to go down to B+ rank. Cacturne is an interesting mob, as it can counter water types with water absorb and has a powerful Sucker Punch and can boost it with Swords Dance. But it has a lot of problems as well. First of all, it relys too much on Sucker punch for faster mons, who can manipulate Cacturne. It also has pitiful bulk, so any super effective moves or strong neutral ones can OHKO it. Also, fighting types like Gurdurr are everywhere because of sneasel, so the meta is not nice to it right now. Cacturne has some niches, but he has too many flaws for A-. Cacturne for B+
First off, Swords Dance / Physical sets are definetly not the best sets for Cacturne to be running. It is much better going max Special Attack with Giga Drain / Dark Pulse / Sucker Punch / Spikes or Spiky Shield with a Life Orb. With Water Absorb it effectively stops your opponent from spamming scald, which is one of the easiest moves to spam in the game. Its Dual STABs are also amazing, as Dark Pulse and Sucker Punch are able to hit most common Grass Resists, like Fletchinder, Garbodor, Scyther, Xatu, Vileplume. Overall the support Cacturne is able to provide with Water Absorb and Spikes is more than enough to keep it in A-.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Definitely agreeing with what metaphysical said, but I just want to add some things. The point about saying Fighting types are everywhere against Cacturne's viability is somewhat flawed because Gurdurr should be pretty hesitant to switch in as the specially based mixed set, probably the most common and best set atm, deals about 50% with Giga Drain and even upwards of 70% with Energy Ball if you choose that (Dark Pulse + Energy Ball kills most of the time). Also, Mach Punch doesn't even KO Cacturne so it can't reliably revenge kill it in a pinch (you said any super effective moves can OHKO it, which isnt true at all). And while I do agree that Swords Dance probably isnt the best set for it atm, it only needs some chip damage to KO Gurdurr with +2 Seed Bomb and it also blows through Hariyama which would otherwise easily take on the mixed set. Overall, What stands out to me about Cacturne is its versatility (as it can run a mixed attacker set, Swords Dance, or focus Sash Spikes Lead) and its utility (Destiny Bond can eliminate specific foes for a teammates, Spikes are great, etc).

Vigoroth Unranked --> C/C+

So while browsing through the rankings and the teambuilder trying to find some inspiration, I found vigoroth! This thing is quite neet for multiple reasons. it can run a bulk up, taunt set which can set up on many things due to it's high bulk with eviolite, it can set up on mawile, regirock, etc. Here is a list of vigoroths' niches
  • Bulk Up + Taunt
  • Reliable recovery
  • Above average bulk
  • Above average speed
  • Vital Spirit Screw sleep powder
Vigoroth is actually a lot like gogoat in my eyes, it's a very solid mon most teams aren't preparing for that can and will set up on you. Vigoroth also pairs really well with sneasel, being able to beat a lot of sneasel's checks which is pretty nice. So yeah, Vigoroth is a pretty cool mon and completly worthy of C/C+. Sneasel and Gallade may be a bother but they bother the whole tier xd

Last edited:
I'm skeptical about Vigoroth. Mainly because NU is and has always been a tier where Fighting-types are very prominent. It's not just Gallade. Vigoroth is a pretty cool mon though, quite bulky without setup (364/294/343 bulk at level 100 factoring in Eviolite is by no means bad). Bulk Up solves its lack of power and Taunt means you beat other setup sweepers, even Malamar.

Question is if Vigoroth isn't a worse Malamar. Either way I agree that it should be ranked somewhere since it's a pretty good mon with proper teambuilding to handle Fighting-types.

I'm skeptical about Vigoroth. Mainly because NU is and has always been a tier where Fighting-types are very prominent. It's not just Gallade. Vigoroth is a pretty cool mon though, quite bulky without setup (364/294/343 bulk at level 100 factoring in Eviolite is by no means bad). Bulk Up solves its lack of power and Taunt means you beat other setup sweepers, even Malamar.

Question is if Vigoroth isn't a worse Malamar. Either way I agree that it should be ranked somewhere since it's a pretty good mon with proper teambuilding to handle Fighting-types.
I can't see vigoroth beating malamar, especially when malamar has a super effective move that boosts its stats, and is immune to taunt. Tbh although vigoroth has nice bulk, it just gets forced out right as it starts to set up, and you're just better off using something like gurdurr, malamar, or even quagsire as a bulky physical mon

• Vigoroth Unranked --> C/C+

So while browsing through the rankings and the teambuilder trying to find some inspiration, I found vigoroth! This thing is quite neet for multiple reasons. it can run a bulk up, taunt set which can set up on many things due to it's high bulk with eviolite, it can set up on mawile, regirock, etc. Here is a list of vigoroths' niches
    • Bulk Up + Taunt
    • Reliable recovery
    • Above average bulk
    • Above average speed
    • Vital Spirit Screw sleep powder
    Vigoroth is actually a lot like gogoat in my eyes, it's a very solid mon most teams aren't preparing for that can and will set up on you. Vigoroth also pairs really well with sneasel, being able to beat a lot of sneasel's checks which is pretty nice. So yeah, Vigoroth is a pretty cool mon and completely worthy of C/C+. Sneasel and Gallade may be a bother but they bother the whole tier xd
    C/C+ is wayyy to high. Could possibly see at D rank maybe or even just stay unranked...
  • It's reliant on it's item Eviolite and knock off is extremely common
  • No resistances and weak to fighting types which are very prominent right now
  • Prone to status, stuff like scald burns and sludge bomb poisons screw it over and limit it's potential seen as how it can't get rid of status unlike Miltank and hell even Munchlax lol.
  • Faces competition from other normal boosters particularly Miltank. While they cannot stallbreak there not prone to status and has 3 amazing abilities which work well as a booster. Miltank is also even faster than Vigoroth too until it decides to curse up lol.
Also you mention that Vigoroth is able to beat a lot of Sneasels checks but I fail to see that tbh, it really only beats a short few. Against defensive checks it's really only beats Possibly defensive Mawile, CroDino and Granbull. Anything else really does not care. And Literally all the offensive sneasel checks beat it; fighting types, steel boosters, Barb and Carracosta, it's really only taking on offensive m-audino lol and Granbull again lol.

And it's nothing like a Gogoat it my eyes either. Gogoat isn't even that fantastic but it's extremely bulky and gets more set up opportunities, able to effectively use it's coverage moves, has room for moves like substitute which are hard to break once it's got up a few boosts or too and avoids status and while not being reliant on it's item. Overall I mostly just see Vigoroth as being mediocre, the only thing that would make me want to use this thing for is that semi fast taunt, guess that's it's little niche but I don't even think that's enough for it to be ranked. Anything else it's doing is just mostly outclassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)