Serious Greeks essentially declare themselves Bankrupt-- where do they and Europe go from here?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So it's a new day for Athens and for Europe, with a resounding NO vote from the Greek people against austerity measures demanded by their creditors. While Greek policy makers lead by Prime Minister Tsipras flood their victory cries and calls to resume negotiation, and Germans voice their outrage and call to their government and Euro-peers to cut off said negotiations, I feel like no one is sufficiently addressing the fallout and what comes next-- probably because it's hard to say what'll happen; but also because the potential directions of this could cause a mass panic on a scale that no one wants to see.

Many articles going around now end off their analysis with "...which could result in Greece leaving the Eurozone"

But that's just one likely result of the No vote, and one that doesn't really let people conceptualize what that means for their own world and lives around them. What could happen in real life, to real people.

For the Greeks

First off, from my own single individual view-point, I think they probably made the right decision. I read a quote from a youth saying "I would rather suffer for a few years than forever"-- which is something I think is actually right, though we're probably not looking at "a few years", and I hope she has a conception of what is entailed by "suffering" here. Staying with Germany and with the EU, honoring creditors means continuing to be attached to a debt spiral that ultimately looks impossible to get out of, with austerity that will simply ring the country dry until there is really nothing left. For Greece to revive, bold reforms must be made, even if it means starting with nothing.

But what do we mean by nothing? What kind of "suffering" could be in-store as Greece looks at an isolated re-build? Well, more correctly, "nothing" would mean "with just the assets inherent to Greece." Natural resources, man power, the fruit of the land, non-liquifiable assets and infrastructure.

By voting No yesterday, the Greek people essentially re-buffed the IMF's weak label of calling Greece "in arrears" and essentially puts them in full-blown Bankruptcy (though this little fact seems to escape the headlines...), or close to it with their already delinquent payment to the IMF. Greece is in Default-- but Greece is a sovereign country in a global world; it's quite a bit different from when an individual defaults.

When an individual or company goes bankrupt, their creditors seize all their assets, which are then generally liquified and divided amongst creditors in order of priority. If an individual refuses to hand over its assets, law-enforcement steps in, the authorities seize the assets and forces the handover. But with a country? I don't expect the Germans to role up their tanks and jets to the Greek boarder tomorrow and demand Athens to hand over their land and country to Germany's ownership for refusing to pay up. Unless Germany wants to seize Greece by force and make it a German colony (and let's face it, the international community pretty much makes this impossible even if the German's wanted to--which they don't), Greece will retain its sovereignty, and there for the right to (or obligation to?) manage their own national assets and people.

This pretty much leaves the creditors out on conventional recourse, but of course removes Greece from the Eurozone (cutting them off from all relief, the ECB, and out of Europe's monetary policy), and likely leads to grave trade sanctions from Germany and other nations. More than punitive action from its creditors, Greece’s bigger problem is the complete collapse of Greek trust, which if it was in its final comatose death throes last week, is now cremated and awaiting burial.

When trust collapses, it means you can’t borrow money from anyone— you can’t get foreign money, which means no foreign goods. Greece will be without imports (outside of massive amounts of food and medical aid coming from relief and aid groups), and left to rebuild its economy with whatever’s on hand—its owned infrastructure, natural assets, and people.

Putting food aside for a second, (since we can expect some degree of relief to come in), let’s talk about possibly the most needed import—energy. From a cursory search on Google (since I’m no expert in Greek resources) Greece is a country that counts its daily production of oil in the thousands of barrels, and counts its consumption in the hundreds of thousands. Reserves in the millions won’t last out a year. So to get the first glimpse of what a defaulted-Greek-recovery would look like, imagine a Greek recovery where trains don’t move, houses don’t light or heat themselves, and where TVs, Radios, computers, and smart phones won’t turn on for the average Greek. A Greece cut off from the world in this age of information and globalization, and with a logistics and communications infrastructure that has completely collapsed.

A return to farms, living off the land, and using physical transfer of information to coordinate (ie. You end up with a mailman on a horse instead of e-mail).

Of course, I could be exaggerating on how bad it could get—or, it could get a whole lot worse. Energy is just one vital import for Greece, and dried up liquidity, zero capital/investment, and widespread poverty are all things that would drive social unrest and strain the process of even a domestic-focused rebuilding.

If it doesn’t go that way, it really depends on how merciful the rest of the world wants to be to Greece. That’s why this whole discussion has been about bailouts, aid, and debt cuts. One thing for sure, if I were a German creditor, or even an everyday Joe German—I would be absolutely furious right now. The reason so many see Tsipras as fool-hardy is because at this point, it’s a choice between a flat-lined Greece, and getting help. Frankly, I think his recent behavior of waving around the word “Democracy” (which has nothing to do with debate of economic ideologies) and demanding/urging of “Return to Negotiations” probably isn’t having the desired effect of warming people up to help Greece...

In the case that Greece’s creditors refuse Greece’s demands for debt cuts, Greece will have no course of action but to start again, with just Greece. Then it will be a test of the Greek people, to see if their resolve holds on a daily basis when everyone is poor, and the government becomes too weak to instill (too poor to pay for) its own order. From what I do know about Greek values, virtues of sharing, and compassion, it might actually be possible for them to succeed here (where we Americans would definitely fail, lol).

For the Germans

If I were a German policy maker overseeing the economy and Germany’s financial industry, at some point I’d have to ask myself—at what point does it make more sense to bail out the banks, and not the Greeks?

What do I mean by this?

As a German policy maker, my interest in having Greece bailed out would be in protecting Germany’s financial industry—the soundness of German banks and investors that hold a lot of Greek debt. If those debt obligations go bad, the banks’ assets and liquidity take major hits, and ultimately the banks become unable to lend, which freezes the economy. This is what they want to avoid—writing off the principle, the base value of the debts.

By bailing out Greece, they can enable Greece to pay off the interest on those debt obligations without eliminating them, allowing the German banks to keep the debt on their balance sheets as “good” assets (good in the sense that they are still expected to be paid off, and therefore keep their value). In other words, you’re helping Greece pay off the interest (while giving them more debt) in order to avoid writing off the principle.

Greece is saying they can’t make it without demanding writing off some portion of the principle.
Remember, as Germany, the whole purpose of bail outs is to avoid writing off principle...

There’s another thing you could do with your money, as a German policy maker. You could pay off the banks. You could let Greece go bankrupt, let all the debt get written off, and instead of bailing out Greece, bail out the banks. Inject them with liquidity and to maintain their financial soundness in the face of Greek debt going bad, and tell the European Central Bank to lower interest rates in order promote lending. Sound familiar? It should... it's only been 7 years since 2008...

If you don’t got the cash from your own Tax collections, use your political sway as Germany--after all, you're Germany--to make the ECB print out the cash you need to hand over to German banks.

As Germany, having to forgive too much of Greece’s debt is the same thing as taking the above course of action anyway. From your own financial soundness, forgiving 100% of the debt and letting Greece go bankrupt would be the same thing—it’s a question of how much you want to trust the Greeks to pay off, and how much debt write-off do you want to deal with.

Which comes to the final question of a Greek bail-out, after all that’s happened, as a German policy maker, how much would you trust Greece to make good on its debt? Even if you do bail them out, do you really think the government, economy, and people of Greece are going to be able to pay you back one day? ....

German Policy Maker: "If we give you more cash, will you be able to pay off your debts?"
Greek Referendum: "NO!! We refuse to pay off all our debts!" (but give us more $$ anyway)
German Policy Maker: "... so, that's a 'no' then I presume?"

Spanish Prime Minister: "So Germany, let's go ahead and quickly restart talks about you giving them more of your money!"

Uh... clearly, the answer should be no... you know, considering that the people’s vote of NO to greater austerity and demand for debt write-off.

If it were a 1 on 1 conversation between two joes on the street, the outcome of this conversation would be pretty clear.

I guess what I’m getting at is that if I were Germany, at some point you have to step away from the slot machine and stop trying to throw good money for bad at Greece, but instead look at what can be done (also, with $$) to instead protect the soundness of the German financial system.

Greece is in for real tough times ahead, as is all of Europe, but maybe the No vote and a Grexit are in fact what’s best for everyone...

What would TRULY be best for everyone is if people the world over stopped voting for politicians promising more than what the people can pay for. If people voted for politicians that would tax more (especially of the super wealthy), spend less, and reform our obligations, pensions, meds, and the rest. Policy makers who will think about the long-term, both for the economy/private sector, and for the environment (yeah I know that's an opposing objective, but just my general point of politicians who serve the people beyond their terms).

The US, Japan, and UK, are really no better off than Greece is... And even a country like China’s exposure to them makes a major risk. I guess in the decades ahead, we will see if these countries too are in fact “too big to fail.”

What would you do if you were Greece?
What would you do if you were Germany?
How do you think things will play out?

What does it mean for the rest of Europe, and in fact, the whole world economy?

Last edited:
The main problem is when it comes to depts, is that Germany already is in the red too (like every country). The "saving" of Greece forced Germany to get more money from the ECB (European Central Bank) and the question is, how can a country pay those depts back at all?
It is basicly impossible.

Not sure if Germany could do the same as the US and make their own billion dollar (or in this case a billion Euro coin) to pay their depts back on the ECB.

For me it is rather hard to see what anyone could in this situation. Few German students I know believe that combining Greece with Germany would be the smartest choice since both countries could profit from each others advantages, in other words, privatizing Greece.

However, Germany won't do that because of the invisible scars from the Second World War mainly the fear of being called Nazi.

Reactions: JES

Asek

Banned deucer.
I'd first off like to say this is one of the better organized cong threads I've seen ; props for organising this amount of information into an OP!

No expert on the eurozone and my economic experience is limited to year 12 economics and reading the finance section of the local paper, but Greece (and to an extent the whole eurozone) is the 'elephant in the room' so to speak when it comes to the worlds economy. Ever since the global recession years back, we've all known of Greece and Italy continuing to accumulate debt (not the only offenders but definitely the most obvious examples), and with no sight of the countries loaning money getting anything back anytime soon, the big lenders have understandably gotten shitty after what appears to be a cycle of debt accumulation that is only getting more extreme year on year. I'm surprised that its taken this long for the lenders to take a hardline stance

A large part of the reason for the Greece financial crisis does lie in its overly generous welfare system. More than 20% of Greeces population are pensioners, and a high % of GDP being spent solely on pensions, whilst unemployment continues to rise, leading to a need for cuts (Source). With pensioners more than likely not being overly happy taking a cut to their fortnightly allowance, borrowing has been essential to continue the system, whilst tax revenue continues to drop as Greek businesses fold. Greece has effectively been living over its means for a fair period of time, and the result of the poll shows that its people have come accustomed to doing so, and aren't willing to take austerity measures. With the banks also being in jeopardy, the whole Greek economy is looking to be in quite an unfixable position ( I think only 1 out of the 4 major greek banks actually has enough money so that if each person wanted to take out all their money they could)

I do think, however that people are overstating just how big the greece scenario is and how it will effect the world economy. If we got through the collapse of Lehman brothers, and the big housing bubble pop in the US economy which happened in a much shorter period in time in which most countries were unprepared for such an occurance, them im sure the world is ready for the worst when it comes to the potential of Greece folding, which has had a really long uplead. Not going to say there won't be repurcussions; the stock market has already started taking hits in many areas, and a global recessions occuring again is always a possibiilty, especially considering many economies are still recovering from the GFC

Can't speak for many other countries but for my own (Australia), I don't think the effects will be felt too hard. Its a rough time to hold shares for sure, but the average Australian will be likely to have little loss from any course of action taken by greece. The main threat here is the Chinese economy slowing down (which it already is) and our other major trading partners (US, Japan, Korea, Indonesia) and how the crisis affects them. Australia has a sizable, but quite managable net foreign debt as it stands (and are currently looking towards producing budget surpluses within 5-7 years to pay it off if the abbot government gets things right), but the Greek economic crisis may throw these plans out the window, its all looking dependent on how our trading partners respond to this whole situation

I have been following the Greek crisis mainly to benefit from the FX market, but it seems clear to me that this whole thing was mismanaged by all sides. The IMF has recently admitted (or forced to do so by leaks) that the debt is unsustainable and there needs to be significant write offs. However who is gonna bite the bullet and write anything off, the IMF or the EU? Second and most importantly the Greeks have been kicking the reform can down the road way to many times, for example there is an estimated 2-200 BN stashed secretly in- you guessed it - Switzerland. What has been about that? What has been done about retirement age, etc.?

There is no legal pathway to kicking somebody out of the EU, and the Germans seem to be sticking to their "offer concessions or nothing happens" so the Greeks will be stuck in a limbo for sometime.

Edit: I think the markets already and by large have absorbed the whole Greek drama by now and unless Greece/EU invoke a nuclear option, the markets will shift towards following a more urgent matter, the potential collapse of the Chinese stock market.

Edit2: Fun fact, Greece has wrote off debt for Germany in the 50s, post WW2 because, wait for it, their debt was unsustainable.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
It seems that the media in Hong Kong and Taiwan want to brainwash us about how the Greeks are parasites towards the Euro zone and European Union.
The media tells us how lazy and stupid Greeks are, and how much they have wasted after they became part of EU.
They also suggest that Greek cheated to get into the EU.
Taiwanese media even comments on how few hours the Greeks work per day, and how they still want to work less than that.

The majority of the people around me have developed very negative emotions against the Greeks and really want EU to kick Greece out.

Most people around me are also pro-EU and very concerned about the well-being of EU as a whole. They think that Greece is dragging everyone else down.

=========

But of course, this strong negative emotion feels very strange to me. Because it feels like they are brainwashing us for some unknown purpose.
(There isn't even one single media channel that states otherwise!)

I would like to know what people from other countries think.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mertyville -- I agree that Germany's own financial situation has to be considered by those following this. Germany is a "wealthy" country, but their real standard of living hasn't seen dramatic increases.

Asek -- I would agree that many writings on exposure are probably over-hyped. Greece's impact will not be felt as far as one would expect. The real danger to places like the US and Australia lies ahead-- where if several other financially weaker countries also follow Greece's path.

X5Dragon -- People keep bringing up that post-WW2 debt write-off, but I would be hesitant to refer to that too often. It's been several generations since then, and from a moral standpoint, sticking the debts of the fathers to the sons is a poor practice.s

It seems that the media in Hong Kong and Taiwan want to brainwash us about how the Greeks are parasites towards the Euro zone and European Union.
The media tells us how lazy and stupid Greeks are, and how much they have wasted after they became part of EU.
Taiwanese media even comments on how few hours the Greeks work per day, and how they still want to work less than that.

The majority of the people around me have developed very negative emotions against the Greeks and really want EU to kick Greece out.

Most people around me are also pro-EU and very concerned about the well-being of EU as a whole. They think that Greece is dragging everyone else down.

=========

But of course, this strong negative emotion feels very strange to me. Because it feels like they are brainwashing us for some unknown purpose.
(There isn't even one single media channel that states otherwise!)

I would like to know what people from other countries think.
To me, this isn't exactly surprising... remember, HK is one of the world's critical financial centers-- we have an economy built on traders. There have an inherent exposure to the European market, and traders obviously want to see a healthy Germany/France/etc., not exposed to the financially weaker economies like Greece/Ireland/Spain. When HK'ers think about what's best for them, and if the media wants to align themselves with it (the easier story to sell) it's not exactly surprising.

Plus, telling the sob story of "Ohh, those poor Greeks! Something has to be done to save those impoverished people! The typical Greek person is innocent, and this is a situation beyond their making!"

...probably won't sell to people in Hong Kong like it would in the UK or Canada.

It is hard to tack responsibility to the individual Greek, but Greece is a country of overspending, borrowing, and tax evasion. Their government and financial systems are sloppy (comparatively).
Compare this to economies like Hong Kong and Singapore, where the currency and market are meticulously planned, and you can imagine people not seeing eye-to-eye.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Cresselia -- However, for those who are risk averse, I'd also say that Germany, and traders have also benefited from economic successes in Europe, much of which comes from a shared Currency. If I had to say who has benefited more from a common currency, I would be sorely tempted to say it's the wealthier countries that have benefited...

What is Japan trying to do with its currency? What did America and China both previously try to do with it?

Make it cheaper. When you want to build economic momentum, you want a cheap currency-- you want outside countries to be able to buy your products for less. Increase your exports, create a trade surplus. Yes, it comes at the cost of lower imports and buying power (and therefore hits in standard of living for consumers), but it comes with thriving businesses and jobs; wealth creation that you hope eventually equates to expendable income, more wealth for consumers. Japan has done everything in its power to make the yen cheaper, so more people will buy Japanese products.

But what were to happen if say, Thailand, started to have a shared currency with Japan? What if it were not just Thailand, but Vietnam, Indonesia, and Cambodia also now on the Yen? Well, all of those countries would now have vastly increased buying power against Japan, and there would be a FLEET of new Toyota Lexus driving around South East Asia, because it'd be cheaper for people to buy them. Not only that, sharing Japan's credit card, they'd have the low interest rates and borrowing power to borrow the cash needed to buy all those new Lexus, and Wii's, Attack on Titan DVDs, video game app downloads, and cleaning robots and whatnot. Japan's car, robot, anime goods, electronics, etc. companies would be living it up in terms of sales and performance. How about 3 new bullet trains in Vietnam? (you know, like the largely German-built Greek rail system).

Then they could abandon the idea of a Tokyo Olympics and instead have a Thailand Olympics, with a dancing fleet of Softbank robots made to talk with IBM Watson.

Until Thailand realizes it's got no possible means of paying off its accumulated debt, and Bank of China and Mizuho Bank find themselves going "Where's my money??"
(and start to bail out Thailand while enforcing Austerity measures...)

So while I'm not saying that after the Greek's got on the Euro, the Germans drove a new fleet of BMWs into Athens and made the Greeks buy-up at gun point, you can't help but see this as somewhat of a foregone conclusion, and one that wealthy countries with higher level technology/products, and traditionally more expensive currency, would stand to benefit from.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The problem all stems from the fact that Greece (and many other countries) were allowed by the EU to join the eurozone when they were not economies of remotely the same quality as northern/western Europe.

This was a problem brought upon themselves by the richer countries now bailing Greece out and they should have known better in advance. Letting countries like Greece in maybe made sense in a long-term growth type strategy, but in the short term, especially in the extended aftermath of a global crisis, they shouldn't be surprised that this happened and they are in no moral position to lecture Greece and impose more austerity, regardless of whether it is economically right or not *which to be fair, no one really knows - anyone who claims to authoritatively know economics is lying.

The best way to simplify the situation that I can come up with is that the EU/ECB/IMF/etc is trying to have their cake and eat it too. And Greece, rightfully, I think, said no.

---------

On a separate note, I said years ago that what actually needed to happen was that Germany and France need to leave the Euro. While it was good for them as a strategic play to build European solidarity and to create a strong global currency capable of competing with the Dollar it has become clear that their leniency in allowing other countries to join the eurozone and tank it has ruined the party for everyone. Countries like Greece have no incentive to leave once joined, until they've already reached the point of catastrophe, as happened here. If Germany wants to get its strong currency back, it must leave the Euro and be like the UK which always stuck to the Pound. It's too late for Germany or France to back out only of the Euro though, afaik. But where Germany and France go so would much of the EU, I think.

I'm no economist nor do I really understand much of this but making so many countries with so many differences share a currency sounded like a dumb idea from the get go. Something like this was bound to happen eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if within a couple of decades the Euro didn't exist and all countries within the zone reverted to their previous currency

Well I think the point of referencing the 1952 debt relief is that sometimes it does get too big and impossible to pay while aiming for consistent economic growth at the same time, which is what the IMF supported (and probably the reason why Oxi won in the first place).

As for the Euro itself I read an interesting opinion article about how the Euro should have been two sisters currencies with the large 5 in the A tier (France, Germany, etc.) and the rest (new Euro joiners) joining the weaker one until they....evolve or reach a high economic standard. The trouble with that is that the A tier would be very overvalued and would hurt export economies like Germany.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The problem all stems from the fact that Greece (and many other countries) were allowed by the EU to join the eurozone when they were not economies of remotely the same quality as northern/western Europe.

This was a problem brought upon themselves by the richer countries now bailing Greece out and they should have known better in advance. Letting countries like Greece in maybe made sense in a long-term growth type strategy, but in the short term, especially in the extended aftermath of a global crisis, they shouldn't be surprised that this happened and they are in no moral position to lecture Greece and impose more austerity, regardless of whether it is economically right or not *which to be fair, no one really knows - anyone who claims to authoritatively know economics is lying.

The best way to simplify the situation that I can come up with is that the EU/ECB/IMF/etc is trying to have their cake and eat it too. And Greece, rightfully, I think, said no.

---------

On a separate note, I said years ago that what actually needed to happen was that Germany and France need to leave the Euro. While it was good for them as a strategic play to build European solidarity and to create a strong global currency capable of competing with the Dollar it has become clear that their leniency in allowing other countries to join the eurozone and tank it has ruined the party for everyone. Countries like Greece have no incentive to leave once joined, until they've already reached the point of catastrophe, as happened here. If Germany wants to get its strong currency back, it must leave the Euro and be like the UK which always stuck to the Pound. It's too late for Germany or France to back out only of the Euro though, afaik. But where Germany and France go so would much of the EU, I think.
Countries with a better trade balance have actually no reason to leave Euro, don't you worry, Germans have been very happy with the current situation, as their currency would have skyrocket'd already if it was not for the Greeks etc. holding it down.
Even if the German economy is more resilient to a strong currency (than France's one for instance, especially if you take away the luxury market), there's a limit to that. It's pretty obvious by now that Germany does not want to gamble its price competitiveness even though the price elasticity of their market is probably one of the lowest there is. They want the status-quo, as long as possible, and an European currency is the safest way for them to achieve that.

I'm no economist nor do I really understand much of this but making so many countries with so many differences share a currency sounded like a dumb idea from the get go. Something like this was bound to happen eventually. I wouldn't be surprised if within a couple of decades the Euro didn't exist and all countries within the zone reverted to their previous currency
The idea is not "dumb". What is dumb is to assume that it was supposed to be a zero-sum game from the start.

They did.
You're right to criticize the way medias are shitting on Greeks though.

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
so far as I can tell, the problem is that Greece is spending more than it's making, and its people are voting to keep it that way.

this is really just irresponsible as all hell, and I personally hope that Greece doesn't get bailed out at all and has to deal with the consequences of its actions. Let Greece provide a strong example to the rest of the world of what happens when you take on debt to keep your citizens happy. Maybe the next time a politician somewhere runs on a platform of cutting entitlements, people will think of Greece and consider voting for him over the guy who tells them everything will be a-ok.

probably what will happen is some combination of austerity and bailout...

Greece is supposedly 'too large to fail' and that it crashing could affect the world's economy hugely. Fine, but isn't giving nations the green light to act this irresponsibly going to affect the nation's economy in an even more powerful way? Sure, we don't know exactly how that will work out. But if you're a dishonest politician, there's a lot of opportunities in a lot of shitty countries to get to the top, and the people sure won't have any reason to consider a candidate with a more reasonable approach. So what's to stop more countries from going the same way?

Chou Toshio

Over9000
Economic Policy for 800:

so far as I can tell, the problem is that Greece is spending more than it's making, and its people are voting to keep it that way.

this is really just irresponsible as all hell, and I personally hope that Greece doesn't get bailed out at all and has to deal with the consequences of its actions. Let Greece provide a strong example to the rest of the world of what happens when you take on debt to keep your citizens happy. Maybe the next time a politician somewhere runs on a platform of cutting entitlements, people will think of Greece and consider voting for him over the guy who tells them everything will be a-ok.

probably what will happen is some combination of austerity and bailout...

Greece is supposedly 'too large to fail' and that it crashing could affect the world's economy hugely. Fine, but isn't giving nations the green light to act this irresponsibly going to affect the nation's economy in an even more powerful way? Sure, we don't know exactly how that will work out. But if you're a dishonest politician, there's a lot of opportunities in a lot of shitty countries to get to the top, and the people sure won't have any reason to consider a candidate with a more reasonable approach. So what's to stop more countries from going the same way?
Watson: What is, Moral Hazard.

In economics, moral hazard occurs when one person takes more risks because someone else bears the burden of those risks. A moral hazard may occur where the actions of one party may change to the detriment of another after a financial transaction has taken place.

Moral hazard occurs under a type of information asymmetry where the risk-taking party to a transaction knows more about its intentions than the party paying the consequences of the risk. More broadly, moral hazard occurs when the party with more information about its actions or intentions has a tendency or incentive to behave inappropriately from the perspective of the party with less information.

Moral hazard also arises in a principal–agent problem, where one party, called an agent, acts on behalf of another party, called the principal. The agent usually has more information about his or her actions or intentions than the principal does, because the principal usually cannot completely monitor the agent. The agent may have an incentive to act inappropriately (from the viewpoint of the principal) if the interests of the agent and the principal are not aligned.
^Also known as the workings of every political system known to man.
But seriously, read this description, and lol real hard at how it describes the situation that basically every politician is in.

tehy, I agree with you completely-- you are absolutely right.

The only issue is that what you described is the STANDARD, not the exception to the rule. The vast majority of developed countries are in a political/economic system that is like Greece, like but-not-as-bad-as Greece, or a lot WORSE than Greece. Most developed countries run a deficit, not a surplus. The only country that maintains virtually economically flawless numbers is Singapore.

Unless you're from Singapore, we're probably talking about an issue that exists in your country-- or if not in your country, in a country to whom your country is greatly exposed to because it's holding that shitty country's debt.

This is a function of practically universal human nature. The Germans culturally have more discipline than than the Greeks-- but as pointed out by folks in this thread that just means they're not fucking up AS bad as the the US, Japan, Greece, etc.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Yeah, this is the standard (i see my post up there didn't project much awareness of this, sorry, it is something I know), and it's exactly why I would like to see Greece fall.

a foreword though, that greece went way too far, and that's at least something most of us have managed to avoid. that's why I'd like to see Greece come crashing down like a ton of bricks- all of us can take the lesson, and try to cut spending within our own countries before it's too late. let's start emulating singapore, the country which has both an economic surplus and a first place artist;;;

ultimately though i'm afraid that we will see my big too fat to fail greek bailout D:

Cresselia~~

Yeah, this is the standard (i see my post up there didn't project much awareness of this, sorry, it is something I know), and it's exactly why I would like to see Greece fall.

a foreword though, that greece went way too far, and that's at least something most of us have managed to avoid. that's why I'd like to see Greece come crashing down like a ton of bricks- all of us can take the lesson, and try to cut spending within our own countries before it's too late. let's start emulating singapore, the country which has both an economic surplus and a first place artist;;;

ultimately though i'm afraid that we will see my big too fat to fail greek bailout D:
Singapore is near to perfect in many ways.
It's because they have developed a fair system, people who are clever and work hard become rich, whilst people who are stupid or lazy become poor.
It's very correlated. So everyone works shit hard because everyone wants money.
This way, the economic drives forward, because the Singaporeans are producing a lot of stuff very efficiently. (because the clever people are in charge)
They even have IQ tests for sorting out which person should be doing what job. (You can still have a job at something else, but it is discouraged)

That's what any elitist society should follow.

I personally believe that a good and fair elitist system is the only ever system that will work.
I think both socialism and communism are mad, because people are not rewarded according to what they have contributed.
There should be no free lunch, and no one needs to give anything to you if you haven't given anything to them.
By receiving social welfare, you are not part of the trade-- you are only taking, but you are not giving.
I just find it very wrong and unfair-- if you only take but not give, why would you think you deserve it?
Why would you think you are one of those "people in need" when you don't have a disability?
(I personally think that only the disabled should receive social welfare.)

I don't see how people will work hard in socialism/ communism societies--
Now look at Greece.
They want what? They want to bloody stay in the EU.
If they are in debt like that, obviously they aren't being clever. And also, according to their working hours, they are also lazy fucks.
In other words, they want other people to pay for their spendings.
And in other words, they want to take more than what they have contributed, which what we Hong Kong people find very wrong.
Pretty much 90% Hong Kong citizens support elitism, and think poor people usually deserve being poor, for either not being clever, lack a good attitude, or lazy/
And I think, Japan also have a high percentage of population supporting elitism. Japan has even less social welfare than Hong Kong.

Last edited:
By creating a single currency for twelve Member States and 300 million Europeans already, with more economic policy in differents countries with very different economic conditions wouldn't work, I think Mickey Mouse can predict, too.

A united Europe is not just a matter of a single currency, free movement of people and a common market in goods and services.
Somebody lays down the rules (European System of Central Banks and the ECB) and this policy does not address the will of the people, with a high rate of unemployment and poverty. Unfortunately, this is not my Europe.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
The internet has really taken a tone of sympathy towards the Greek some of which is flat out unjust. Including those ridiculous WW2 comparisons. I'm sorry but a post-war reality is just completely different from the 2015 global economy.
I usually write in favour for the little guys because the big guys are usually fucking assholes but in this case the creditors have been more than reasonable.

Plus they haven't "essentially declared themselves as bankrupt" they have basically said "We'll not pay you back and we'll spend more than we make, so fuck you" which is, I agree a very populist and irresponsible stance to take. What did you expect from a referendum? The collective population of the nation saying, "no we agree to live on a ration"? That's unrealistic and the Greek Government knew it very well.

Chou Toshio - While I do get your argument about moral hazard accruing from information asymmetry, and the fact that most countries run on debt (I personally believe FIAT to be cancerous), but you need to observe some realities. Greece isn't america. The moment it decided to take help from the banks with its foundations in the AmEuro currency then it forfeited that path in favour of staying with the big guy.

This Tsipras government has derailed a country that would have become economically healthy by this time (or a little earlier) next year if they had carried on their current reform because by late 2014 Greece was already showing a positive balance sheet and spending less than it was making and NO people weren't exactly starving to death. Of course unemployment was high but that's also the case with Spain, Portugal, Italy and they had to make similar type of adjustments and who unlike Greece have responsibly worked towards reducing deficit.

Now think about the message a forgiven-debt would send. These countries will insist upon getting similar treatment. The existing governments in these countries all realize that if electing a radical "fuck-you" government in Greece is seen as being rewarded, then voters elsewhere will do the same. They'll look like idiots trying to be good boys.

Second, even if there was some way that Greece could be helped without setting a precedent, the officials do not trust the Greeks to carry through with any plans. The fact that Tsipras' populist "fuck you" the last straw. Tsipras is arguing that the public should reject the plans, but he says that if the public prefers to accept them, then he will go along with that. The Banks doubt (with very good reason) that he could reverse his position and suddenly begin taking steps which he has campaigned against for years. The referendum was nothing but a predetermined show of strength. He already got elected with the anti-austerity plank, unlikely the Greek population led to believe his unrealistic dreams would change their tune to make a sensible long term call, populist decisions never do - which is why dictatorships, pseudo or otherwise have better financial track records because most of the public is stupid and are far from competent when it comes to making an economic call beyond their own personal agendas. That's the reality of a democracy.

They also are infuriated that he believes his mandate to get better terms supersedes the ones that other elected governments had from their citizens that wanted no more bailouts.

^So w.r.t the above paragraph, Bughouse I believe it's rather the Greek who want to have the pie and eat it, with no long term plan whatsoever.

To preserve its own ability to operate in future crises, the Banks must insist on being repaid. If it ever accepts the idea that a country can default if things go south, then it will never get repaid in the future. So the IMF&Co. will continue to seek repayment, no matter how flawed the analysis that led to the lending in the first place.
That's directly detrimental to the growth potential of a lot of third world countries as they all rely on such credit, and the Greeks will be wholly responsible for that. Greedy fucking idiots.

---
Cresselia~~ your post has a lot of flat out untrue biases based on some cherrypicked facts that look good on paper. Singapore has a healthy economy yes, but it was a literal dictatorship under Lee-Kwan Yew, read up on The Modernization Thesis. Even Nazi Germany had the best financial health in all of Pre-War europe, doesn't necessarily make it the best form of governance.
Your generalizations about communism/socialism being "mad" also come off as ignorant, not that I am a communist or anything but simply because you don't even seem to know that those 2 are completely different norms of governance and not something you can bundle together with a slash or generally what you're talking about. Your post (or this particular portion of my reply) have little to do with the topic at hand, but it's just my sincere advice that you do some solid reading before vomiting assertions in online forums.

This generally goes for a few other posts I have seen over here in this thread, but I don't have the time or fortitude to go over everyone of them.
---

As for other general observations, I believe that the Euro has always been an aspirational symbol over and above just economic practicality. Many of its naysayers have with very good reason called it "esperanto currency" but I find the connotation positive. Europe saw a strong bond of solidarity and a powerful secular ethos post WW2 and the Cold War and the Eurozone is the representation of that ethos. True, German, French, and a few other European economies would be better off exiting the euro but it is solid as a long term goal and what secular-liberal politics essentially see as their perfect future.

Last edited:

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
I don't know what you are exactly trying to say because that post appeals more to emotion insinuation rather than showing what the number means in a relative sense.

I never said they are rosy, but "livable" in the austere sense is definitely doable, child poverty as a statistic reflects earning capacity. Okay so they can't meet certain high dietary standards, and no that isn't optimal, but it isn't starvation and famine either. And at least under the umbrella of the EU and being a developed country with a strong human rights foundation generally means even if the worst comes to worst at least they have a fallback and a pretty generous one at that, and as I already mentioned all the numbers point to the fact that a) It was Greece's own fault and within a reasonable metric there are always consequences and b) If they had stuck to their reform path the situation would have improved by next year with possibly complete stability by 2020 with some amicably agreed concessions short of a complete default. Plus a good credit score would open a lot more options economically to solve that problem rather than a short term tantrum with no conceivable plan. Because even a debt-forgiveness is unlikely to change that statistic given that the country's financial structure itself is in complete shambles.

Perhaps your concern is valid but I think it comes from an incredibly privileged space. I feel that way because maybe I myself come from a third world country and Greece's Child Poverty rate and general economic health is very (I daresay incredibly) humane compared to the rest of the world, and even the article you link only talks about CPR in developed nations, which is a very narrow and unfair "interpretation of reality", so yeah I want to say they are definitely "livable".

And as I already said Greece's decision directly impacts other developing nations whose purse strings are dictated by these banks, and all of whom I assure you will fare far worse in any statistic you may care to pull up. In fact Greece's inclusion in the Eurozone did it far more good than bad accelerating it's growth to a rate it couldn't have aspired to otherwise.

You want to know my paradigm of "livable"? Recently the IMF rejected a $4bn loan call from Sri Lanka due to the volatility of the Greece situation which led to their government having to cancel and cut back on certain social security programs that would increase meager pensions for army officers and civil servants and moreover another much needed one which would guarantee starving malnourished children 3 meals a day. And that was before Oxi happened. Do you have the heart to dig up the butterfly effect it'll have on African and LatAm nations?

I mean "Child Poverty Rate" as a first world statistical metric of the best standard of nourishment and growth sounds rather indulgent to the damning reality of "Child Malnourishment Rate" and "Child Mortality Rate". Can you in good faith say otherwise? I don't mean to sound sound melodramatic but that exactly the impact that Greece's default will mean for the world.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Appropriate Quote (emphasis original): http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/thatcher.asp

"I would much prefer to bring them down as soon as possible. I think they've made the biggest financial mess that any government's ever made in this country for a very long time, and Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them. They then start to nationalise everything, and people just do not like more and more nationalisation, and they're now trying to control everything by other means. They're progressively reducing the choice available to ordinary people." ~Margaret Thatcher.

The fundamental way a bank functions is that depositors in the aggregate provide the bank with money it then lends out in larger sums to finance larger projects. It's essentially an enterprise in economies of scale, and once the bank establishes a precedent where it lends money without expectation of return (with interest and not just principle, I might add!) it ceases to be an entity organized to effect its purpose. Thus the rationing of Greek bank withdrawals, because fundamentally the bank itself cannot honor its depositors because its debtors are defunct.

Greece's problem, and indeed the ECB's problem, is that its debtor is the national government of an ostensibly first-world country. And unlike an individual who can go bankrupt and their personal assets used to pay back creditors, a nation adheres to its own internal political will, and that will has been to featherbed government officials unto fiscal ruination - among other problems but this is the chief one affecting economies as disparate as the Nation of Greece, the State of Illinois, and the City of Detroit.

Even if you could divest the "assets" of Greece, what would you do with it? The government buildings are worthless office space and paper repositories, and short of sale to a bidding country you can't exactly claim the land itself. Not to mention, your chief liability is pension costs that are paid out to individual Greeks.

Looks like from the news though that throwing good money after bad (and worse) is going to happen after all. Cheers to fiscal Armageddon! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-to-huge-global-pressure-for-debt-relief.html

Cresselia~~

Appropriate Quote (emphasis original): http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/thatcher.asp

"I would much prefer to bring them down as soon as possible. I think they've made the biggest financial mess that any government's ever made in this country for a very long time, and Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They always run out of other people's money. It's quite a characteristic of them. They then start to nationalise everything, and people just do not like more and more nationalisation, and they're now trying to control everything by other means. They're progressively reducing the choice available to ordinary people." ~Margaret Thatcher.

The fundamental way a bank functions is that depositors in the aggregate provide the bank with money it then lends out in larger sums to finance larger projects. It's essentially an enterprise in economies of scale, and once the bank establishes a precedent where it lends money without expectation of return (with interest and not just principle, I might add!) it ceases to be an entity organized to effect its purpose. Thus the rationing of Greek bank withdrawals, because fundamentally the bank itself cannot honor its depositors because its debtors are defunct.

Greece's problem, and indeed the ECB's problem, is that its debtor is the national government of an ostensibly first-world country. And unlike an individual who can go bankrupt and their personal assets used to pay back creditors, a nation adheres to its own internal political will, and that will has been to featherbed government officials unto fiscal ruination - among other problems but this is the chief one affecting economies as disparate as the Nation of Greece, the State of Illinois, and the City of Detroit.

Even if you could divest the "assets" of Greece, what would you do with it? The government buildings are worthless office space and paper repositories, and short of sale to a bidding country you can't exactly claim the land itself. Not to mention, your chief liability is pension costs that are paid out to individual Greeks.

Looks like from the news though that throwing good money after bad (and worse) is going to happen after all. Cheers to fiscal Armageddon! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-to-huge-global-pressure-for-debt-relief.html
You know that Margaret Thatcher is right when she turned UK from one of the poorest country in Europe, into one of the richest, in just a few years.
If it weren't Margaret Thatcher, UK would have been piss poor by now.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You know that Margaret Thatcher is right when she turned UK from one of the poorest country in Europe, into one of the richest, in just a few years.
If it weren't Margaret Thatcher, UK would have been piss poor by now.
ACTUALLY the jury is still out on how much thatcher was responsible for the uk's boom in that period. You're also forgetting that her premiership coincided with the North Sea oil discovery. More subtly, being a 'rich' country means rather little if that wealth is so unevenly distributed, which is increasingly the case in the UK and a result of the movement that Thatcher started. Though, again, given the political climate of 1979 it's likely that any right-leaning leader would've been elected and instituted similar (if lesser) reforms.

As things stand atm, Germany wants Greece out, even dangling the "restructure debt, temporary time out, debt relief" carrots in the EU Summit meetings which understandably has France, Italy and a host of other countries very angry, but since Germany is footing most of the bill it's like what we say, it's their money they are free to do with it what they want.

We'll see how this night wraps up.

Edit: I'm personally torn, on one hand I got money on a deal or compromise being reached tonight, on the other hand I'd personally like to see Tsiparas say "f*** this shit" and walk out. I really need to stop taking risks with highly volatile events either way.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
So, not at all like this guy?

So the modern "conservative" government manages to make a financial mess (that had nothing to do with spending all our money, but was instead all about zero regulation), and ALSO runs out of 6 trillion of people's money.
(Keeping in mind Bush didn't really preside over the de-regulation that lead to the financial mess of 2008... his Dad did)

I'm all for a non-socialist government that maintains financial discipline and doesn't make a mess... so let's see one come up that doesn't spend as much or more than the left wing ones. (but can still manage to not make the middle east situation worse)

@Greece-- I was a bit happy over the weekend that it seems Germany is holding stronger than expected; a lot of reports from last week said they would capitulate to Greece's ridiculous referendum side-show.

Keep in mind, as a US citizen, the best thing for the US is if Germany forgives a butt-load of Greek debt and we can all go on about our merry ways pretending nothing happened, but as an individual following the story/turn of events it would just be so damn annoying to me if the Germans just bent-over-backwards from International pressure. To me it would be fucking terrible if Aspiras comes out of these "negotiations" (talks) a hero to the Greek people, despite being such a whiny douche-bag.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Don't compare US interactions between economy and politics to those interactions in other countries, especially not to parliamentary countries. In the US, no it doesn't affect the economy much based on who is in charge. In parliamentary governments, it undoubtedly does. I don't think what Deck Knight said was so horrifically wrong, in the proper context. I'm sure he also believes it to be true for the US (which lol he'd be wrong...) but in this case, let it be.

That said, the "they are socialists who spend too much money" doesn't actually seem to be the problem in this particular case. Greece spends a significant amount less per citizen on social services than countless countries who are perfectly solvent. The problem for them seems to overwhelmingly come from collecting tax revenue and accrued interest on all the debt they already have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)