(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Talking of finding HAs through the dexnav, I am the slightest bit annoyed they chose Phantump over Pumpkaboo in Petalburg Woods.
Why? Well, because in the Friend Safari, for some reason the only Pumpkaboo that can be found there are Medium - there was also an event which let you get a XL HA Pumpkaboo. So between that, we still can't get Small and Large HA Pumpkaboo and it destroys me as a collector ;;
Well to be fair, Phantump makes more sense in the woods by being 'born' from a rotting tree stump possessed by ...the spirit of a dead child (it's a Ghost type, we'll just run with it...) than a pumpkin.
Better than in the originals when you couldn't even do that. You had to fly to Mt. Silver, go to to the Pokemon League and over to the next route, then fly to Kanto.
Or take the damn Magnet Train once you get it operating that goes between Goldenrod and Saffron...

Come to think of it, why the HELL are the trainers on the SS Aqua in HG/SS not rebattleable?

Oh Slowpoke... Why can't you just pop up with Regenerator? Why must you insist otherwise? ...or pop up in a spot that would require me to jump or get on the Acro Bike and thus scare you off? (an example, but it applies to nearly all Pokemon you want the hidden ability for that aren't in the grass... and sometimes even those)
Slowpoke is the fucking worst. It's extremely painful to dexnav, and especially when its HA is so viable.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
One thing that's bugged me: if Professor Oak is this massive authority on Pokemon, why is his lab in the quaint, tiny little hamlet of Pallet and not in Celadon or something? Ditto most of the others.
Maybe he wanted someplace a bit secluded so he wouldn't be disturbed so often? Also much easier to do field work in a town surrounded by nature than in a crowded city.

The fact that the Master Ball is permanently lost after getting the 7th badge in Ruby/Sapphire.
At least they fixed that in ORAS.

On a first playthrough most people won't know the Masterball is there without a guide or a tip, and even then, the Ball is in a rather out of the way location, compared to every game giving it to you if not in a cutscene, then with prompting (Silph Co., Elm's Call, etc.)
It is kind of random for the Master Ball to be placed there. Like you'd think Mr. Stone would give you the Master Ball for helping his son and saving Hoenn after catching/defeating/calming Groudon or/and Kyogre. But nope, its randomly in a room with four other items in the villain's base. I guess maybe you could say Archie/Maxie were originally planning on using it to catch their legendary until they discovered the Orbs, but its an easy room to miss even if you are exploring around (I may sound mean saying this but if you're just running through not even bothering to explore the place then you're kind of asking to miss stuff).

Madoka from Madoka Magica.

Anyways, the fact that they can't let you nickname pokemon that you got from someone else. I can understand if that pokemon already has a nickname, that makes sense, but "Greninja's name is perfect and it doesn't need to change"? Really? That's not even a fucking name, it's like calling everyone here "Human".
I think one reason they don't let you rename is because they might be afraid if you do and the person who trades the Pokemon sees you did might get offended. Even if the Pokemon didn't have a nickname they're afraid you may nickname it something the original owner could take offense of. Silly I know, but there is a precedence...

The ten-minute cutscene to finish off the Delta Episode.

It's the reason why I intentionally killed Deoxys on the spot when I battled it on the edge of space.
Yeah, I decided just to unleash a Dragon Ascent on it and catch it later. Seriously GF, LET US SAVE BEFORE AND CHECK THEIR STATS AFTER! I mean we check the Pokedex anyway after catching them, might as well let us see their stat screen!

Air Balloon pops if your Sub is hit. Why?
Maybe your Pokemon is holding the sub in front of it so even though if didn't get damage the Air Balloon still did? Does a Sub take damage from Ground-type Moves if Air Balloon is active? Still a bit silly, the Sub is suppose to take all damage no matter what.

I remember how upsetting it is when your move missed in Stadium 1 and 2 because they DID show the animation when the move missed but you didn't find out until the very end that that happened.
Yeah, I prefer the animation not to happen if the move missed. I mean the animation is cool but I want there to be a payoff to the animation, otherwise its kind of disappointing and a waste of my time.

How much backtracking you have to do in Hoenn.
  • At the start, you have to go to Rustboro, beat the gym, to the Rusturf Tunnel, all the way back to Route 104, and down to Dewford.
  • Going from Mauville all the way to Fallarbor, only to have to come all the way back to Route 112 to get to the cable car.
  • Fifth gym? Try going all the way back from Lavaridge Town to Petalburg, where you can't do any grinding because the wild Pokémon are all at level 2.
  • Team Magma/Aqua? Try going to Mt. Pyre, up to Lilycove, all the way back to Slateport, and back to Lilycove.
It's one of the thing that I love in Hoenn, you don't just visit a place one time ...
Yeah, I actually kind of like that you do visit previous places. Its nice to see a new place of course, but going back to previous places doesn't make them seem like they're one-and-done. Even better if they have new things for you to do in it upon returning with a stronger team and access to more HMs. And if I recall from the Hoenn backtracking they usually provide a shortcut to reach the previous places instead of having to go through the same route you did before. I like exploration in my games and want to be rewarded for my exploration, especially when they encourage it.

Also at a few points your Rivals asks if you want to go back to a certain location with them so they sort of fixed some of the backtracking there.

You know what really Grinds my Gears?

(Yes, I know, that's a horrible joke.)

Move incompatibility. Maybe I want a Lightning Rod Raichu with Surf (not that it achieves much in the way of coverage). And wouldn't some of us just love a Defog Poison Heal Gliscor, or a PerishTrap Sap Sipper Azumarill? But no. All of these things are, respectively: event, Gen IV HM, and Gen IV HM (Whirlpool), with Hidden Abilities. And because GameFreak won't let us use Ability Capsules to flip between standard and Hidden abilities, these wonderful ideas are forever stuck in the land of Hackmons (where even better possibilities arise).
I kind of wished they allowed you to maybe Move a move from one Pokemon to another Pokemon of the same species. Like you go to someone with two Pokemon of the same species, one have a move you want to place on the another (like an Egg/Event Move onto a Pokemon who has its Hidden Ability), and after paying them or doing something they take the move and transplant it over.

As for the Ability Capsule, maybe have something like a Hidden Ability Capsule that unlocks a Pokemon's Hidden Ability but its harder to get. Like you got to beat a certain special trainer in the Battle Facility in order to have a chance of getting one.

The fact that Grassy Terrain, Electric Terrain and Misty Terrain don't have abilities that activate them.
They have pretty damn interesting effects but it's not worth using them as moves due to said uses not being worth sacrificing a move slot. If they were abilities - ie activated immediately like drizzle for rain - they'd be really interesting.
Also why is Misty Terrain, the move that reduces the power of Dragon moves, predominantly learned by Pokémon immune to dragon ?_?
This also kind of applies to Trick Room too; I wish there was an ability for it but at least it's good without it.
I think they should have an Ability that if your Pokemon has the move like the Terrains or the various Rooms or maybe even things like Light Screen/Reflect/Tailwind that upon that Pokemon being sent out the move will activate. Of course you'll still need to waste a moveslot on it but at least it'll activate first thing before the battle starts.
I say this because honestly if they give such moves all their own Ability then we'll start getting way too many Abilities. Though I'd be alright with that if they removed the "2 normal Abilities/1 Hidden Ability" limit and just let a Pokemon have any Abilities it'll logically have (be them normal or Hidden). If Abilities were meant to be unique all Pokemon would have one Ability, but there are only some Signature Abilities and all the others I think should be flexible as Moves are.

Okay so two in one day but my friend's playing a black 2 randomizer and his starter's huge power victini (LOL) so I got reminded of this

Why doesn't Victini learn V-create by level up
I mean no really, what? It's an event-only move for it? ... you're only ever going to get Victini through event anyway (aside from that liberty ticket in BW) and it's not like Victini's ever going to be given out without V-create, so what's the point? It's so very clearly created for Victini and it just makes absolutely no sense. I get it for Rayquaza, since that's a one-time event move that's so unusual for it to get and lol it learning it naturally, but what is actually the point of Victini not getting V-create by level-up?
Like what we discussed with making previous Gen Event Pokemon available through normal gameplay in the next gen, I think this would also fall under the same idea. Event Signature Moves are fine for the gen that Event Pokemon is in, but when next gen comes it should either learn it naturally or have a Move Tutor be able to teach it.

The thing about 6th gen that really bugs me is that it is overly easy compared to previous gens. The new exp share is beyond broken, and even if I turn it off, my pokemon become too easily overleveled. Compared to basically every other gen (at least 4 and back, I didn't play 5) gen 6 is just too easy. Every single gym leader I faced had lower level pokemon than at least half of mine. GSC and HGSS come to mind when I think of a decently hard pokemon game. I mean miltank was a monster and I recall actually having to grind before the pokemon league. Huge difference compared to now.
I think they need to bring back the difficulty setting they introduced in BW2 though this time NOT LOCK IT UNTIL YOU BEAT THE GAME! Make it an option right off the bat, I mean you're pretty much telling a player looking for a more difficult experience to play through the game two times! If you're going to do that at least also add in a New Game+.

To be fair, all RPGs with a leveling system can just be overpowered by grinding unless the game goes out of its way to screw you or sets level caps.
I always wondered if maybe level caps would work in Pokemon, like each badge you get will raise your level cap a bit until beating the Champion you can level any Pokemon up to level 100. I know this may sound sacrilegious to some people but it would help in creating "boss" battles with Gym Leaders, Rivals, Villain Team Admins/Bosses, Elite Four, and the Champion (especially if they use a Pokemon who's level is above the cap). And if you're having problems well you can train your team of 6 to the level cap so you'll still have an advantage over the "boss" who most of their team will be below the cap. Also the cap may even get players to spread out training their other Pokemon when the one they're using reaches the cap as not needing to wait until they get the next badge to increase their level (and before you say it, no experience is wasted, instead the Pokemon would hold onto the experience until the cap is increased when they'll finally be able to benefit from the experience; pretty much what they did in the Colosseum games when you purify a Shadow Pokemon).

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but if you nickname your Pokemon, and the first character is a lower case 'y', it looks extremely ugly. Try it out, and be disgusted.
I'd imagine any lowercase letter as the first letter wouldn't look right.

Page 57:
Talking of finding HAs through the dexnav, I am the slightest bit annoyed they chose Phantump over Pumpkaboo in Petalburg Woods.
Why? Well, because in the Friend Safari, for some reason the only Pumpkaboo that can be found there are Medium - there was also an event which let you get a XL HA Pumpkaboo. So between that, we still can't get Small and Large HA Pumpkaboo and it destroys me as a collector ;;
Hmm, kind of sounds like the Friend Safari Pumpkaboo thing is a glitch as it makes no sense. Could you try breeding for a different size Pumpkaboo with its Hidden Ability?

I know that it technically isn't Gen VI, but it's always irked me how in HGSS you can't fly directly between Johto and Kanto, instead having to stop at the Pokemon League.
Because your Pokemon needs a rest from flying you across regions, you slave driver. :P

WOOT! Caught up on this thread. :D

Hmm, kind of sounds like the Friend Safari Pumpkaboo thing is a glitch as it makes no sense. Could you try breeding for a different size Pumpkaboo with its Hidden Ability?
Nah; if you breed a Pumpkaboo the baby comes out the same size as the mother (or father if you're breeding male + ditto). Which is really good tbh because breeding is already such a luck-based nightmare I don't want yet another 1 in 4 chance thrown in the equation. Just means this is annoying to get - luckily it's HA, Insomnia really isn't that good for it (it's not like it's really wanting it like Feraligatr and Serperior wanted theirs)

Nah; if you breed a Pumpkaboo the baby comes out the same size as the mother (or father if you're breeding male + ditto). Which is really good tbh because breeding is already such a luck-based nightmare I don't want yet another 1 in 4 chance thrown in the equation. Just means this is annoying to get - luckily it's HA, Insomnia really isn't that good for it (it's not like it's really wanting it like Feraligatr and Serperior wanted theirs)
The problem is Pumpkaboo's other abilities aren't that great either. Either Pickup or Frisk. Frisk is alright I guess, but I wouldn't mind avoiding the random Dark Voids or Hypnosis.

The problem is Pumpkaboo's other abilities aren't that great either. Either Pickup or Frisk. Frisk is alright I guess, but I wouldn't mind avoiding the random Dark Voids or Hypnosis.
Well I mean, Dark Void is available to two Pokémon, one of which is Darkrai - a banned legendary with a type advantage and stats that tend towards sweeping or assassinating. Why are you using Gourgeist against this. The other is Smeargle which I'm not sure what you're attempting to do against with Gourgeist either.
Hypnosis is very rare and barely used due to it's awful accuracy. Gourgeist already has a pseudo-immunity to sleep due to the most used ways of inflicting it outside of an Ubers mon lol are Sleep Powder and Spore.
Granted Frisk and Pickup are both... bad and Gourgeist would love a different ability, but Frisk at least consistently lets you to scout for items and work out what sort of set the opponent is running, if they're choiced so you can take advantage of that, etc. Frisk I'd say is the most useful of it's abilities by far.

Well I mean, Dark Void is available to two Pokémon, one of which is Darkrai - a banned legendary with a type advantage and stats that tend towards sweeping or assassinating. Why are you using Gourgeist against this. The other is Smeargle which I'm not sure what you're attempting to do against with Gourgeist either.
Hypnosis is very rare and barely used due to it's awful accuracy. Gourgeist already has a pseudo-immunity to sleep due to the most used ways of inflicting it outside of an Ubers mon lol are Sleep Powder and Spore.
Granted Frisk and Pickup are both... bad and Gourgeist would love a different ability, but Frisk at least consistently lets you to scout for items and work out what sort of set the opponent is running, if they're choiced so you can take advantage of that, etc. Frisk I'd say is the most useful of it's abilities by far.
I used my Gourgeist in Doubles on Wifi. The second I see a Smeargle or Darkrai I know it's a lead going to Dark Void me.

Well again, I don't know what you'd achieve against either of those with Gourgeist whether they had Dark Void or not.
He was my Suicidal Trick Room starter! When I saw one of them I had to pull out the other Trick Room starter on my team (which I experimented with a number of guys like Slowbro, Aromatisse, and Xatu). I was building a team around him and Mega Ampharos because I happened to love those two guys.

But now we're going WAY off topic.

---

But that reminds me of one thing. I don't know if this has been brought up, but I hate how the Battle Maison and junk seem to adapt to your team as you go on. By the time I got to the 10th trainer in the Super Doubles, everyone had like a Weavile, Krookodile, Houndoom, or other strong and fast offensive darks that they liked to send out first (sometimes in pairs too!) just to fuck me over.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
But that reminds me of one thing. I don't know if this has been brought up, but I hate how the Battle Maison and junk seem to adapt to your team as you go on. By the time I got to the 10th trainer in the Super Doubles, everyone had like a Weavile, Krookodile, Houndoom, or other strong and fast offensive darks that they liked to send out first (sometimes in pairs too!) just to fuck me over.
I wish they let you at least choose which Pokemon would go out first at the start of each battle. Then again no matter who goes out first it'll probably send out something that'll be strong against it. At least you can Mega Evolve (hmm, now thinking about it a Pokemon who's type changes upon Mega Evolving might mess with the AI's strategy).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pretty sure it's been proven that Facility AI never cheats with the RNG or adapts to teams and peole just get unlucky.

Pretty sure it's been proven that Facility AI never cheats with the RNG or adapts to teams and peole just get unlucky.
Tell that to us who lose to the beloved Quick Claw + Horn Drill strategy. Oh, and it is hard to believe it doesn't CT you when it spams Water / Ground mons when you are running a Rain team. Thankfully, I had my Thundy carry Grass Knot to murder Swamperts, Gastrodons, etc.

Reactions: JES
I lost my 17-win Maison Singles streak because the game threw out a Double Team Magcargo against my Mega Scizor.
Double Team and the like are evil moves, and everyone should expect to have to stomach their wrath many times in the Battle Facilities, but this isn't the AI cheating. If they could program it to cheat or adapt to your team over time, I would hope they could program it to not do all the myriad of stupid things mentioned in the Dumbest things the AI has ever done thread, such as play 'weather wars' with itself.

Yeaaaah, I intentionally beat the shit out of Groudon before returning to catch it in the aftergame. ... and caught it in a Nest Ball.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
"Oh, you caught Primal Groudon/Kyogre and want to check its IVs? All you have to do is complete one more gym, all of Victory Road, the Elite Four, the Champion, the battles with Courtney/Matt and Zinnia (x2), as well as battling Rayquaza and Deoxys before you can get to the Battle Resort. Have fun!"
I'd say this is a bigger problem with Latios/Latias which you're FORCED to get half way through the game. At least you can knock out Groudon/Kyogre and return to get them later. Of course you still have to catch Rayquaza so it also has the same problem.

Any of the games that force you to capture the Legendaries have this problem. BW did it with Reshiram/Zekrom (though they at least did them at the end of the first part of the game) & XY did it with Xerneas/Yveltal (where you still had to beat Lysandre, long cutscene, beat 8th Gym Leader, battle through the rivals with cutscenes, traverse Victory Road, defeat Pokemon League, watch credits, beat AZ, watch more cutscenes, talk with Sycamore to get ticket, and finally get to the IV judge).

"Oh, you caught Primal Groudon/Kyogre and want to check its IVs? All you have to do is complete one more gym, all of Victory Road, the Elite Four, the Champion, the battles with Courtney/Matt and Zinnia (x2), as well as battling Rayquaza and Deoxys before you can get to the Battle Resort. Have fun!"
Or defeat it and come back after you can access the Battle Resort... something you currently can't do with Xerneas/Yveltal. Can we please not be forced to catch the mascot legendary before the IV judge is available?
I'd say this is a bigger problem with Latios/Latias which you're FORCED to get half way through the game. At least you can knock out Groudon/Kyogre and return to get them later. Of course you still have to catch Rayquaza so it also has the same problem.

Any of the games that force you to capture the Legendaries have this problem. BW did it with Reshiram/Zekrom (though they at least did them at the end of the first part of the game) & XY did it with Xerneas/Yveltal (where you still had to beat Lysandre, long cutscene, beat 8th Gym Leader, battle through the rivals with cutscenes, traverse Victory Road, defeat Pokemon League, watch credits, beat AZ, watch more cutscenes, talk with Sycamore to get ticket, and finally get to the IV judge).
At least there's not much after Rayquaza, and is still viable with HP, Speed, and the attacking stat of choice being the only perfect ones. (provided the defenses aren't awful) I honestly preferred being given Latios than having to chase it down over a dozen times just to get it to a spot where I can SR it... (how I despise having to do that with the Kanto birds...)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 7)