The dumbest thing the AI has ever done?

Shauna basically lets you win in her first rival battle. Even when she has access to Tackle/Scratch, she will go for the STAB, not very effective move.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shauna basically lets you win in her first rival battle. Even when she has access to Tackle/Scratch, she will go for the STAB, not very effective move.
Considering she says "Hey! I wasn't done watching my Li'l Chespin/Fennekin/Froakie yet!" upon defeat I don't think she was battling seriously. :P

I recently started over my Heart Gold game and holy shit. The number of times the AI uses non-damaging moves right when they are about to kill me is immense. As well as defense lowering moves when they only have special moves, and vice versa.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This is just basic game design. A game for kids wouldn't want to dishearten a new player by having them lose in the first battle of the game, so of course the AI will be doing its best not to win and have you start off your adventure on the right foot.

Well, Blue/Green/etc. didn't let you win in your first battle if you weren't careful enough. Though you are expected to just withdraw that potion from your box.

Heracross using Giga Impact in a contest when it isn't the final turn and only one opponent got jammed.
Lisia's Altaria using Earthquake twice in a row in another contest.
And any Meloetta in Secret Bases or VS Recorder battles using Close Combat before Relic Song.

From Mystery Dungeon, Vigoroth using Uproar when it's the only one in the room (besides my troops). Uproar is not an attack in MD, only a status move that makes all teammates in the same room immune to being put to sleep for a time. Vigoroth has Insomnia.

Just now in the Maison, I encountered a Dusknoir that set up TR when it was the slowest thing on the field, and then proceeded to spam... Shadow Sneak. What's the point of setting it up if you're just going go use priority anyway?

I once trained a Vivillon up to Level 65 just to troll Malva with Powder. She fell for it hook, line, and sinker.
So you just sat there and spammed Powder about 20 times (factoring odd HP stats and Full Restores)?

EDIT: Here's a new one!
"Politoed used Helping Hand! Politoed is ready to help Cresselia!"
"Cresselia used Protect!"

What makes this worse is that I have an Amoonguss out.

Last edited:
Rapidash using Solar Beam on my Garchomp without Power Herb and out of sun. It knows Will-O-Wisp.
Claydol using Explosion when Garchomp is in the red.
Seismitoad using Dig right after I revealed Earthquake.

Last edited:

• I beat a Slaking and Blissey in Super Doubles in the Maison...using a Corsola. I just used Protect while Slaking used Earthquake, then went for Toxic while Slaking was on Truant. Slaking knocked out its own partner, and then I just Toxic-stalled Slaking to death. I never took a single point of damage with my Corsola that battle.

Fun in the Battle Maison:

3. Special Darmanitan. Enough said.

2. If I'm sweeping your team with Empoleon's Surf and you finally get a turn to counterattack with Jolteon, Rain Dance probably isn't going to be your saving grace.

1. Sweeping again, this time with Mega Garchomp's EQ under sand. Shockingly, the AI actually switched out for once!... To Magnezone. Without an Air Balloon, Shuca or Focus Sash. And the EQ critted. This one was so sad I wish I was making it up.

Last edited:
Fun in the Battle Maison:

3. Special Darmanitan. Enough said.

2. If I'm sweeping your team with Empoleon's Surf and you finally get a turn to counterattack with Jolteon, Rain Dance probably isn't going to be your saving grace.

1. Sweeping again, this time with Mega Garchomp's EQ under sand. Shockingly, the AI actually switched out for once!... To Magnezone. Without an Air Balloon, Shuca or Focus Sash. And the EQ critted. This one was so sad I wish I was making it up.
Well Darmanitan can still hit like a truck on the Special side... in Zen Mode. Not that Zen Mode Darmanitan should ever be recommended, but...

And switching to Magnezone? Against a Pokemon that has a type advantage? ...Did the sand throw the AI off or something? ("Ooh, better not send out something that can be hurt by the sandstorm if I can! Go! Magne - ...sorry Magnezone...")

Reactions: JES
This happened earlier today in the Maison. I was at battle 50 in Super Singles, fighting the Chatelaine. I lead Mawile, she leads Thundurus. Thundy gets a Wild Charge off as I Mega Evolve and OHKO with Rock Slide. No big deal.

Then Landorus comes out. I know from a previous misadventure in XY that it's Scarfed. No big deal. Anyway, I switch out to Latios as it goes for Earth Power, which obviously does nothing. I know that AI trainers are coded to switch if they can't do anything, so I press Calm Mind to get the free +1/+1. But it stays in. This Landorus stays in and keeps spamming Earth Power, allowing me to set up 6 Calm Minds. I then obliterate Lando with Surf, and Tornadus falls to a Psyshock shortly after.

So thanks, Chatelaine-who's-intended-to-be-a-difficult-boss! Thanks for letting me effortlessly sweep you!

Really? Cause I've seen a Serperior sit there and spam Leaf Storm and Leech Seed against my Sap Sipper Goodra before.
I think it's because the switching only triggers on type-based immunity, not ability-based ones. Try a Flying Type vs. a Choicelocked mon using Earthquake or another Ground move.

In a double battle, it was down to my Sawsbuck and Tornadus (and 4 pokemon not out at the time) vs a Sawk. The Sawk uses Close Combat and probably would have OHKOed my Sawsbuck, except for the slight problem that it used Close Combat on my Tornadus instead.

I'm starting to wonder if there is a bit of RNG in the AI, and I'm not talking about wild battles. I've seen the same Pokémon do the same thing in a certain situation about 9 times out of 10, with them doing something else that 10th time. For example, I have a +6 Mega Scizor against a Zapdos. No matter how I approach it, Zapdos gets to do at least one move (Knock Off OHKOs, but I'm slower. Bullet Punch 2HKOs). Most of the time, it sets up Rain Dance. But occasionally, it will just go straight for the Thunder. Makes you wonder.
Has anyone actually analyzed the AI in the games?

In my latest playthrough, for some reason, the only time any opponent uses Sand Attack, Mud Slap, etc. it is against my Joltik. You know Joltik: the Pokemon that gets Compound Eyes (and which has it in this playthrough). On the other hand, it really worked once and caused me to miss with Electroweb three times in a row.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)