Project OU Player of the Week #34: Finchinator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to the OU Player of the Week Project: Rebooted! For those of you that don't know, this is a project where I interview a tournament player and have you, the readers, leave any questions you may have down below for them to answer. The ultimate goal is to gain insight as to how they play this skillful and strategic video game. If any of you have a suggestion for who I should interview, feel free to VM/PM me, and I will take your suggestion into consideration. Now, enough of this boring intro. Let's get to it!

Finchinator

Most Known For:
In recent times, I'm probably most known for being a tryhard of epic proportions in team tournaments such as WCOP and SPL (for US Central and the Bigs, respectively) and having (or at least trying to have) a "nice guy" persona on forums and around the community despite being quite immature at times. I've tried to improve my overall reputation around Smogon (specifically the tournament community) recently after not being very well known (or liked) before late 2014 when I made Smogon Tour Playoffs during season 18 and lost to McMeghan in a close series.

Historically, I'm known for being a PO user ("PO (BAN ME PLEASE)") who leads ORAS OU over on PO alongside MetalGross and for being an avid player of tournaments over on PO. Despite having a 2011 join date (I started playing in September 2011 iirc), I was irrelevant on Smogon until November of 2014, so there's not much else to say except for the fact that a lot of people disliked me as I was a crybaby on the Pokemon Online ladder in late BW1 and early BW2 back when the ladder was decent and a lot of people who are now solid tournament players were developing on it. To this day I remember spamming the "Find Battle" button with my BW1 Rain Volc team with no steel type and my Yache Landorus team with random ass EVs under the alt [IMP]Finchinator and cringe just thinking at how I played and acted.

Overall, many people now regard me as a BW2 OU and ORAS OU player who took up NU for SPL and this is, more or less, true as BW2 OU, ORAS OU, and ORAS NU are the three tiers I currently feel the most competent in, but in later BW2 I mained in UU for a while and I also have a soft spot for BW2 NU.

Favorite Pokemon:
Tough one, but I'd have to say that Empoleon takes the cake because I used it in my first ever run through of a pokemon game (Pearl back in like 2007 when I got my first DS). As I've played more and more pokemon over the years, Keldeo, Tyranitar, Heracross, and Tauros have also became my favorite pokemon for their design and for what they offer in battle.

Most used Pokemon:
In ORAS OU, Clefable for sure. Honorable mention to Hippowdon, Mega Charizard-X, Mega Manectric, Starmie, and Latios.

In BW OU, Tyranitar is easily my most used pokemon. However, I find myself using one of Skarmory or Ferrothorn very often and Alakazam, Keldeo, and Garchomp individually quite a lot, too.

If I had to list some less common or conventional pokemon that I find myself using a fair amount of the time (all of the pokemon I listed above are pretty standard :x), I'd say that a few of these for me are Nidoking (ORAS OU), Slowking (ORAS OU and BW2 OU), Tangrowth (ORAS OU), Moltres (BW2 OU), and Mienshao (BW2 OU).

Can you tell us a little about yourself?
I'm a 16 year old High School student (going into my Senior year this September) living in northern New Jersey and I have previously played Baseball and Basketball (dating back to last year). Outside of Pokemon, I enjoy spectating sports (big fan of the Yankees, Steelers, Rangers (Hockey), and Knicks) and having a semi-active social life.

I guess it's also worth noting that because I started playing competitive pokemon in late August or early September 2011 (I didn't turn 13 until the end of September that month) and COPPA was (and still is, iirc) a thing on Smogon, I lied about my age, saying I was 10 years older than I was and even making a whole backstory that stuck with me for ~2 years on PO until I eventually admitted who I was to most people when I won the Community Well over on PO (if anyone is truly interested, this sums it up well). Now I hope everyone thinks I'm a bit less crazy when someone like Cased makes fun of how I'm a 26 year old accountant at Rutgers who plays baseball and rages on the ladder n_n

Going back to a major aspect of who I am, I've always had a desire to win whatever game(s) I played - pokemon included, of course. When I was younger, I was so hardheaded about this that I got physically upset when I lost at something, even if it was as trivial as a fun game of Monopoly or some other board game with family or friends when I was younger, but the more I've played pokemon at a competitive level with other players, the more I've noticed that instead of dwelling over a loss, I need to learn from my defeats and work on improving in order to win more in the future. This is something "about myself" that relates directly to my experiences playing this game, so I figured it'd be worth mentioning, but otherwise I don't have much else to say.

Where did you get your name from?
My last name IRL happens to start with "Finch" and a childhood nickname I developed as I played baseball was Finchinator. Sure enough, it stuck with me as I grew older and did fairly well in games and eventually even transferred to be my go-to username on the internet when I got a bit older. There's nothing really deep or meaningful behind it, unfortunately, but it is good enough for me n_n

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
Well, I was a big in game player from 2007 to 2011 - I probably played each of Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Soul Silver, Black, Emerald, and FireRed 5 times with different pokemon, conditions, etc. set for myself just for the fun of it in that time, but eventually I started to watch guys on YouTube play the games - a guy who used to upload and went by the name Slowflake also discussed Competitive Pokemon and Smogon in some of his videos while he played and didn't need to narrate simple events going on during the game. His website introduced me to the competitive aspect of pokemon and given my natural competitive instinct, I searched more into this and downloaded PO in late August 2011, started playing around on the ladder for a while, developed as a player, and here I am today :]

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?
Late XY was solid, in my opinion. Despite things like Landorus-I, Mega Charizard-X, and Mega Gardevoir being hard to deal with, none of them where too bad and there weren't a surplus of threats that required specific counterplay and made teambuilding properly a major challenge full of restrictions. ORAS, however, is lackluster currently, in my opinion, given that you have to cover so many threats that are capable of doing so well offensively and you cannot risk being too weak to any one of them. I tend to call the metagame "cluttered" or "congested" with top tier threats.

To add onto the above, thoughts on the team matchup issue?
Match-up is present to some extent in pretty much every metagame; there is no denying this. However, I think anyone using match-up as a major excuse as for why they lost a game (especially a tournament game) is a fool. In tournaments, it is your job to prepare for your opponent to the best of your ability and assure that you do not get a poor match-up, so anyone complaining about match-up in a SPL or WCOP battle should reevaluate their preparation and mindset going into the game, in my opinion. In a ladder or live tournament environment, I can at least see why people would bitch about losing to a poor match-up (being that you don't know who or what you will end up facing), but anyone can enter a live tournament (like SmogTour) or play on the ladder, so a lot of opponents have lackluster teams/plays and you should be able to get by regardless (assuming your team is decent overall, otherwise the fault lies there, not with match-up) and by the time you face someone decent, losing is (arguably) acceptable, so this is sort of a moot point on the matter I guess.

Do you feel that there is anything that is suspect worthy at the moment?
I'll pre-cursor this by saying that every player of the week after tele (tele's was during Lando suspect, so every player since the metagame reached the state it is currently at) has said "no" to this question, with marshall and wqueen saying the metagame is fine while Dice said something going would improve the meta, but nothing is over the top. In addition, when speaking with other players, the general consensus is that the there is nothing worth banning currently.

I'm of the apparently minority and radical opinion that despite there being nothing that fits under the conventional "broken" definition in the current metagame, something needs to go for sure. With every generation introducing more and more pokemon and the ability for teambuild properly being compromised more and more, something has to give in if we wish to continue playing in a metagame which we can label as "competitive" and the thing that should give in is the definition of "broken" or "banworthy". Essentially what I'm saying is that in the past we only banned things that made gameplay incredibly restricted (i.e: you had to have 1 of 2-3 counters or you had to play around something incredibly well to not get beaten or significantly hurt by it every time). Now, maybe that can change to a bit more lenient and pro-ban definition so that the metagame can ease up a bit on top tier threats and open up teambuilding. This could potentially backfire, but given that suspect tests allow players to see if the tier is better with or without the suspect, it's a pretty foolproof way of doing things (I have a whole other problem with public suspects, but maybe I'll post in Reymedy's PR thread at some point on that and it's off topic, so for now I'll just assume they stay the same and go along with discussing this topic).

Given this mindset, I think that Mega Charizard-X, Mega Altaria, and Manaphy warrant a suspect and a potential ban from ORAS OU as they all are top-tier threats that have a fairly limited list of counters and means of reliable counterplay. To say that one or all of these threats being eliminated from the metagame would help "fix" matters would be pure theory and theorymoning is a silly thing to resort to, so I will not say this. However, the suspecting and prospect of banning one, multiple, or all of the above shows a lot of promise, in my opinion, and I think this opinion should be something that a lot of people open up to and consider in the future if they wish to see the metagame progress instead of deteriorate in the future.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
I have no single favorite playstyle - I tend to fallback on balance in bw2 ou because I feel it maximizes my chances of winning regardless of the opponent's team at times, but I have successfully used both offense and semi-stall (not full stall, tho, and I don't intend on ever using full stall). In ORAS OU, I try to build a lot of offense, but my main attempts end up going nowhere given the volume of things that must be checked being so substantial and offensive teams being incapable of checking everything often (usually they have to give in somewhere, which most of my offensive builds do, but I find my 'best' and most consistent builds to end up being bulky offense or semi-stall because of this, unfortunately, which ties right back into why I call the metagame cluttered and congested and why I think something needs to get suspected).

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?
Generation five, for sure. Despite a lot of people disliking this metagame due to the emphasis on weather and "matchup" (I beg to differ, but this isn't the time and place for that argument), I personally find teambuilding and gameplay in BW OU to be quite fun. Maybe it's because my roots are in this tier, maybe it's because I happen to excel moreso in this tier than I do in DPP or in ORAS, etc...but you also have to take into consideration that BW OU actually has a lot of quality matches every big tournament and then a small few that have a lopsided Volcarona or Reuniclus sweep due to the opponent being underprepared or someone having the perfect variant of Volc for a team (which can be an issue, even I'll admit that - fuck volc sometimes) and suddenly everyone calls the metagame a joke and hates on it. I really feel that the public opinion on BW OU has been negative and that this being ingrained in the minds of many players has pretty much ruined BW OU's reputation despite it actually being a decent metagame, in my opinion.

How do you go about preparing for tournament matches? Does the process differ depending on the tournament?
Usually, I prepare a TON for tournaments. I'll go through my general process without overwhelming everyone so ya'll don't think I'm anymore crazy than you guys think I am already.

First thing I do is research the opponent - this is obviously important so you know who and what you're up against. I tend to only look at relevant games - things like past wcop, spl, stour, or big official tournament games (as opposed to something like a ladder match or a minor tournament game, but this varies depending on opponent, I'm just assuming it's an experienced / veteran opponent for the sake of this example). Looking at their past big games doesn't only give a more accurate idea of what they are capable of using, but it also shows their gameplay tendencies. For example, some players tend to take a more conservative and optimal route with their play while others make bigger risks - if you can catch onto a consistency in how someone plays, then you can keep this in mind and if you're stuck between making one play and another, knowing this information may help you act properly.

Next thing I do is generate ideas - this can be anything from a single pokemon to a 2-3 pokemon core, but having a couple ideas that you feel will match-up well are key for the eventual building of a team. This step isn't too overcomplicated, but I tend to avoid using ideas over again, but I'll tackle repetitive playstyles and tendencies in the next step.

Third off is what I like to call a "self scout". Essentially, I know if I'm playing a high level tournament match, my opponent will probably scout me, too, so I will want to steer away from my norm and try to use something less predictable that is still effective vs my opponent. Finding that balance between "unpredictability" and "effectiveness" is key and hopefully, one of the ideas you formed in the second step is somewhere in that balanced vicinity. With that being said, now that you've scouted yourself out a bit (generally, I just keep a running tab on what I use in all my spl and wcop and other major tour games as I play them to make matters easier), you should know what to try and avoid to some extent. For example, I used skarm+ttar+alakazam in my first two WCOP games, so I made sure not to use spikes+magic gaurd on balanced sand in any of my remaining matches and I also kept in mind that my opponent would likely craft a team with a spinner and some sort of answer to magic guard psychic types when preparing for me, so I made teams that didn't rely upon hazards being up and a team that took advantage of the opponent having something like scizor or sdef jirachi, which are common checks to zam.

Finally, I pick the idea from step two that suits me best given the circumstances, create a team around it that is generally solid overall (try to avoid taking shortcuts or having glaring weaknesses as your idea itself should be good enough to give you a good match-up, counterteamining is never ideal, but a soft counterstyle that can win vs other things consistently still is fine), and test it out until I'm comfortable or deem the team lackluster and move on to another idea or rebuilding around that idea. Rinse and repeat until you feel confident and then go kick ass!

Also, this process differs depending on tournaments as I tend to try much harder and go much further in depth for team tournaments than I do for individual tournaments, but if I manage to find myself deep in an individual tour, then I will start to try hard like this, too.

Who do you think will win WCoP?
East. They have a lot of friends and plenty of proven players on their roster. With that said, I wouldn't mind if Germany won as they also have some cool guys, but East is my personal favorite.

Thoughts on the newly introduced Smogon Classic? Favorite to win?
Classic was a cool idea and I'm glad to see it up and running smooth. Personally, I'd love to see big underdog ZoroDark take it home, but McMeghan would also be a cool winner if he finishes his playoff games before the deadline for each round ;]

If you could change one thing about OU, what would it be and why?
If I could change one thing about OU, it would probably be suspect testing Manaphy or Mega Charizard X (either would be fine, tbh). I wouldn't necessarily want to ban either, but seeing the suspect metagame without them and gauging how much better teambuilding and gameplay would be without them would interest me (and if this showed a better metagame without them, then I'd certainly be in favor of banning). As I said before (referring to the question about what I think is suspect worthy - it's the ninth one), I think we should take a different approach to suspecting in the future which could make the metagame a bit less cluttered with top tier threats - I don't think Mega Charizard X or Manaphy are broken in the conventional sense of the word. However, I think either of them being absent in the tier would lead to notable improvements in terms of quality of the metagame and players's ability to cover everything sufficiently in teambuilding (thus helping with the "match-up issue", which is still a bad excuse and exaggerated, too).

Do you have any advice for newer players for playing, and for Smogon in general?
Challenge yourself! One of the best ways to become better, even if it means losing a lot at first, is playing top players. Sign up for SmogTours, try to reach OLT playoffs, etc. - these can only make you improve. I remember I felt that I was an average player this time in 2012 and even in early 2013, but I've partook in the last 5-6 seasons of SmogTour whenever I could and I must say that simply being exposed to a plethora of other high level players improved me as a player (not to mention that I've followed tours like SPL and WCOP, which give an accurate representation of metagames and high level play, so these tours are always good to keep tabs on). Success doesn't come instantly to most people - for example, it took me from season 14 until season 18 to make playoffs of Smogtour and it took me 3 years to make SPL, but that doesn't mean you aren't improving, some people are just slower with progress than others and that's perfectly fine (I considered myself one of those players who took a while to reach a truly high level, but now I am content with myself as a player, so just stay positive and keep trying and you'll reach your goals eventually).

Another important facet of being a new player is establishing yourself as a user for good things, not for being a mediocre poster/forum presence. All I will say here is that lurking is your friend. I know this sounds boring, but if you can read around a bit and get a good idea about posting/forum etiquette, you'll at least be an informed poster if and when you want to voice your opinion. Once you have lurked and played a sufficient amount, your posts will be of a higher quality than they would be otherwise and you can gain a lot of respect among the community if you put your mind to it and present a valid opinion. With this said, it takes time to make it big, especially in OU given the volume of players, but it is certainly possible to start from the bottom of the ladder and end up a known and respected tournament player if you invest some time into it and try your hardest! Oh and before I forget, don't ever resort to personal attacks on other users - I know it's easy to say "this guy doesn't agree with me, he sucks" or "this guy haxed me on the ladder, fuck him", but you will only be making a name for yourself for the wrong reasons if you do this; it's just a game and despite it getting frustrating at times, just keep your composure!

If you could change one thing about Smogon as a whole to make it better, what would it be and why?
This is a tough one, but if all posts in suspect threads and policy discussions from non-moderatos could be made anonymous (at least until the suspect was over) to make bandwagoning, likewhoring your friends's posts, and other means of judging the user moreso than the post/argument itself without actually contributing to the discussion or giving the other side of the argument a fair chance could happen, I think that suspect discussions could actually be salvaged and it may even impact some votes, too, but this is a far-fetched idea and the effect it would have may be less than I'd expect it to be, so I don't know.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
Some of the players I look up to the most in the community would have to be Jirachee, Zebraiken, McMeghan, and Raseri. All of them are stellar battlers, users, or a combination of the two. In regards to good friends, I'd like to give a big shoutout to the SPL 6 Evergrande Bigs - this was the best team possible and you all are fucking amazing :pig: - and the USCentral 2015 WCOP squad - ya'll are a great group and I cannot wait for next WCOP to show everyone we mean business once more!

Finally, can you provide us a team that's a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle, with a brief explanation of how it works?
I've actually done a lot of building for ORAS OU over WCOP and the past month in general, so it was pretty hard to pick one team to show, but this is probably my best team and it has won almost every battle I've used it in (although most were test games with people on Central or other friends and only a couple were serious tournament games).

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Swords Dance

Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Brave Bird

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Reflect Type OR Thunder Wave
- Recover

Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Soft-Boiled

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Def / 104 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 148 SpD / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Earth Power
- Recover

This is a semi-stall (or slow paced balanced, either classification works) team that I built primarily to help some teammates test during WCOP, but it turned out to be very solid and it has been my go-to-team for a couple weeks. The idea behind the team is this core of bulky win conditions - Bulky NP 2 attack Celebi (inspired by the set Ender used here, but with Psychic>Giga and probably more speed EVs) + Bulky SD Knock Mega Scizor + CM Tbolt Clefable. Scizor and Clefable both struggle with Heatran while bulky Celebi with NP and Earth Power is a fantastic Heatran lure, Celebi and Scizor both struggle with Skarmory and Talonflame while CM Tbolt Clefable lures Skarmory and Talonflame, and the three have solid defensive synergy. I guess from here I'll just go mon-by-mon to explain the sets, spreads, etc. since that core is the gist of the team. Scizor is a standard fat SD variant - I use impish to help tank mega lopunny and offensive landot better so I don't have to compromise momentum with Hippo too often and I run Knock over u-turn to wear down opposing threats (like Skarmory, Hippowdon, Heatran, etc.). Talonflame is a stallbreaker variant with speed for non-scarf max speed landot (after I knocked Scarf off with Scizor, for example) while it also outpaces +Speed Excadrill, neutral max base 100s, and most Kyurem-B; this is my primary check to things like Mega Charizard Y and a couple other threatening pokemon, but the ability to annoy a lot of teams and cripple things with Wisp is the biggest pro of Talonflame on this team. Starmie is a standard bulky spin variant; my team appreciates being able to stay in vs Ferro and spin/fish for burns (cripple it for cm tbolt clef or np celebi to clean easier), so I often use Reflect Type, but TWave is perfectly viable there, too. Clefable is a standard CM variant with TBolt over TWave or Knock or Flame to hit both Talon and Skarm, which are needed to be eliminated or weakened for Celebi and Scizor to do work. Hippo is also a standard variant; the filler is edge also to lure Talonflame for Celebi and Scizor, but it also hits the problematic NP Thundurus, too. Finally, Celebi is a bulky NP variant which is unexpected and quite underrated, imo, is the last; it hits 290 speed to outpace neutral natured kyu-b and everything slower while it still has special bulk to comfortably check keldeo and other special attackers.

how did you get to be SO GOOD?????
if i hosted a banger and invited you, chimpact, henry, and omfuga (plus girls to kiss, ofc :3), would you show?
what is your favourite overused, and how?
you hear a noise coming from a nearby well. there is nobody else in the area, so you decide to investigate. at the bottom of the well, you spy a young girl, who must have very recently fallen in. you are about to to hoist a rope to rescue her, but then notice she had dropped her Support Tyranitar at the foot of the well. what do you do?

tryhard.

thoughts on Hoopa-U and Hoopa-C?

Favourite and least favourite part of being - OUTL over on PO.

on a scale of (cat) to (dog) how much of an alien do you feel like right now?

From a fellow bushy brow-er, top 3 eyebrow maintenance techniques?

best meme?

yay finch n_n

finchie is the best :>

thots on the increased number of magic bouncers in oras?
viability of stall in bw?
(dog)?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
how did you get to be SO GOOD?????
practice makes perfect n_n

if i hosted a banger and invited you, chimpact, henry, and omfuga (plus girls to kiss, ofc :3), would you show?
ofc. i'd go tryhard on those girls.

what is your favourite overused, and how?
Generation five, for sure. Despite a lot of people disliking this metagame due to the emphasis on weather and "matchup" (I beg to differ, but this isn't the time and place for that argument), I personally find teambuilding and gameplay in BW OU to be quite fun. Maybe it's because my roots are in this tier, maybe it's because I happen to excel moreso in this tier than I do in DPP or in ORAS, etc...but you also have to take into consideration that BW OU actually has a lot of quality matches every big tournament and then a small few that have a lopsided Volcarona or Reuniclus sweep due to the opponent being underprepared or someone having the perfect variant of Volc for a team (which can be an issue, even I'll admit that - fuck volc sometimes) and suddenly everyone calls the metagame a joke and hates on it. I really feel that the public opinion on BW OU has been negative and that this being ingrained in the minds of many players has pretty much ruined BW OU's reputation despite it actually being a decent metagame, in my opinion.

you hear a noise coming from a nearby well. there is nobody else in the area, so you decide to investigate. at the bottom of the well, you spy a young girl, who must have very recently fallen in. you are about to to hoist a rope to rescue her, but then notice she had dropped her Support Tyranitar at the foot of the well. what do you do?
Give the Tyranitar a chople berry and let the girl drown in the well.

haha

thoughts on Hoopa-U and Hoopa-C?
The psy/ghost one is sorta underwhelming, but the hype psy/dark one I still want to investigate more because some people are calling it OP and some are calling it lackluster. Honestly, it can run so many moves viably and it has insane attacking stats, but mediocre speed and physical bulk make me think twice before labeling it as a top threat in ou; only time will tell I suppose.

Favourite and least favourite part of being - OUTL over on PO.
Being OUTL on PO is a do-nothing position most of the time (especially since nothing has been suspected in ages and I've lost motivation to contribute to that community over time being that Smogon is more appealing to post and contribute to). My favorite part is the fact that I actually got to deal with a lot of developing and cool users over the time, but this is a two-way-street as my least favorite part is dealing with some of the lackluster users who never improve in their posts or analysis of the metagame. Overall, the playerbase was fairly small and the respectable users stood out while the majority of others users were mediocre, so dealing with the handful of solid users is my "favorite" part and dealing with everyone else was a bit more of a challenge (i.e: the suspect discussion for Greninja was heavily anti-ban on PO for some stupid reason, so I had to go dictator mode with my co-outl and banhammer it anyway without a vote or following the majority of poor posters).

on a scale of (cat) to (dog) how much of an alien do you feel like right now?
(monkey)

what's it like being an accountant and former Rutgers University student?
What's it like being a fairly unknown nu player? ;]

From a fellow bushy brow-er, top 3 eyebrow maintenance techniques?
Reason they're so busy is b/c i have no techniques to fix them hnnnnng

best meme?
ALIENS ofc

yay finch n_n
yay me n_n

finchie is the best :>
Agree

thots on the increased number of magic bouncers in oras?
Mega Diancie isn't too hot lately imo (idr if it dropped to A yet or not, but imo it probably could or you could at least make a decent argument for it to do so) and it is fairly frail, so this isn't a huge issue and it doesn't impact play much. Mega Sableye isn't too common in tournament play, but it can really hurt your chances of getting any hazard game going unless you're using SR Clef or smth (CM is way more common rn, so odds are your SR mon on a Clef team is Hippo or Lando-T or Chomp or smth and those all get boned by Mega Sab) - basically, when mega sableye is used (~5% to 7% of the time I'd say), it is very challenging to get hazards up, but otherwise the impact of the increased number of magic bouncers in oras is minimal at best, imo.

viability of stall in bw?
Full rain stall (like what Asuya used vs Ojama in WCOP) or something along those lines is risky business and I would advise staying away for it bar dire situations, so I will say it's not too viable, but can be effective given a good match-up like pretty much all stall. Teams like the conflict weatherless semi-stall or conventional sand semi-stall (with like Hippo Skarm Jelly Amoonguss + mgaurd psychic + filler which is usually scarf tar or scarf tran) are both quite viable and have a chance to do well against a majority of playstyles, but don't have many "auto-win" scenarios like full stall; I find this to be the best sort of stall in BW or pretty much any tier and I would say it's justifiable to bring this vs a lot of players in BW.

(dog)

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Do you want to be a novelist someday or somethin?
Nah, I'm just sorta verbose and I go in depth on my answers to questions because I like to share my thoughts. Honestly, some people think it's annoying because my posts are super long and I sympathize as nobody likes reading long ass posts, but that's how I get my opinion across and if you don't want to read it, you don't have to. At the end of the day, nobody is forcing you to read things on a pokemon forum after all, but for those who elect to read, they will at least understand my point of view well by the time they're done reading!

ur gonna get fucked upppp at rutgers man ill see u there true or false

rank top 10 ou players/builders (sep lists oras ou) dont give me bullshit answers (bloo, gr8astard) their dicks arent here anymore haha if u know what im saying

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
ur gonna get fucked upppp at rutgers man ill see u there true or false
Depends on how stuff go at another schools that I plan on visiting, but I'd say it's somewhat likely that I end up at Rutgers Oo

rank top 10 ou players/builders dont give me bullshit answers (bloo, gr8astard) their dicks arent here anymore haha if u know what im saying
henry is ur second question
[12:16:08 AM] Finch: oras ou right now
[12:16:09 AM] Finch: yes?
[12:16:14 AM] Henry: ya
[12:16:14 AM] Finch: kk
[12:16:23 AM] Finch: should the ten be in
[12:16:25 AM] Finch: 1/10 order or just
[12:16:27 AM] Finch: drop 10 names
[12:16:40 AM] Tony: in order imo
[12:16:41 AM] Henry: idk man
[12:16:46 AM] Finch: 8. omfuga
[12:16:47 AM] Finch: top 8 oras ou
[12:16:50 AM] Henry: sep lists

There are so many fucking people that I decided to make it top 15 for each, feel free to ask for why I placed someone where I did, but it's semi-biased and arbitrary I guess (if I missed someone or ya'll think I should add someone/remove someone, sorry! I'm doing this primarily off the top of my head and it's not easy to remember everyone, so I hope you guys understand :x)

Players
1. Tesung
2. Destiny Device
3. Stathakis
4. Soulwind
5. Xray
6. Reiku
7. Improbable
8. KratosMana
9. Mencemeat
10. Living So Zambian
11. PDC
12. TDK
13. Cosine180
14. TheEnder
15. Dice
Honorable mentions to Lyconik, Steve Angello, High Impulse, Tom Bus, Cicada, Aurious, and Blunder (had them all in my top 15 at one point or another, but ended up deciding on these 15 in this order after a bit of contemplation). Oh and to Omfuga for being top 8 oras ou in reality, ofc.

Builders
1. TDK
2. Xray
3. TheEnder
4. Reymedy
5. Tesung
6. BenGay
7. KratosMana
8. DestinyDevice
9. Improbable
10. Dice
11. Reiku
12. Stathakis
13. Living So Zambian
14. Steve Angello
15. D0nut
Honorable mentions to a lot of fucking people; it's a bit harder to gauge teambuilding when you aren't always sure who built what, who stole what, etc. Play overall is easier to judge than teambuilding and it was a bit more straightforward to rank players than builders for sure (I probably went through like 25+ names here, meaning more than 10 people that eventually made their way in and out of the list).

excellent list if i say so myself besides forgetting Omfuga

What was the key to turning around from being a bad user (I never saw you as a bad user), and how can other users with a bad reputation (a couple come to mind turn their rep around)

What do you think is the best alternative to a suspect test? Certain things I might want to test but I (and I think this sentiment is shared by other council members) hesitate to because of excess pro-ban mentality/bandwagonning. EG: metagross seemed almost certain to go, and narrowly avoided it. By some miracle it didnt, but the point is something was that close and has clearly established itself as not broken, and not even a top 5 threat at that I would say

Nicki Manaj or Taylor Swift?

Whos rage is more scary, CasedVictory or Omfuga?

Top 6 Nu mons? now put them together and give sets and evs and pm me. Now repeat for all other gs tiers

Most overrated Bw threat?

Most Underrated BW threat?

Why dont people use exca in wcop bw? Its very good

WOuld you put as your facebook, twitter, and all other social media statuses I, (your name), Play pokemon and am Amazing at it and then link your smog account if it let u win either spl or wcop?

When you said gg to mcm after losing to an fp, were u just thinkin "ooh this will cement my nice guy status on smogon so well"

which is more likely, Lightchu dodging the stone edge or Lightchu actually having scarf keldeo

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
favorite to win olt

favorite to win stour

Why dont we talk much anymore?:[

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
Dude why do you type so much.

Anyways, obligatory first question:

1) are you gay? If you're not, please prove it with a pic of you kissing a girl.

2) you even cared about OUPL... Why do you care so much about those team tournaments?

3) How different do you think your life would be without Smogon and competitive Pokemon?

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Typing this on phone, so sorry if there are any errors

excellent list if i say so myself besides forgetting Omfuga
This thread isn't ready for Chansey+Cobalion offense, unfortunately.

What was the key to turning around from being a bad user (I never saw you as a bad user), and how can other users with a bad reputation (a couple come to mind turn their rep around)
You probably never saw me as a bad user b/c you didn't know me until late 2014 (POCL/Fall SmogTour time); I was a bad user throughout late 2011 when I started, all of 2012, and most of 2013. One of the keys to becoming a good user has to be being realistic; this means recognizing your "problems" as a user and trying to improve your behavior in regard to this. For example, when I was new, I got really upset over hax and losing in general (I was your stereotypical mad ladder kid who begged for draws and raged hard, but my behavior was also reflected in my actions on the forums). As time passed and I tried to improve, I tried to ignore hax and focus on maximizing my chances of winning each and every game - with this also came treating other users better and being a generally "nice" presence, too, as I wasn't constantly arguing, complaining, justifying, and acting poorly. Generally speaking, if a user can improve themselves, this community offers a lot of opportunities to demonstrate that improvement, so when a user can catch on to their problem and work to fix it, they can easily get recognition for being a better user as long as they don't dig themselves too big of a hole to begin with.

Bad reputations are sort of similar; I probably got mine for snitching on CTC ban evading on PO hundreds of times, but no matter how you get one, it's normally fixed through making a name for yourself for good things to make people forget the bad. Doing well in a tour, contributing to the community, or acting in a respectable fashion in general are advisable here.

What do you think is the best alternative to a suspect test? Certain things I might want to test but I (and I think this sentiment is shared by other council members) hesitate to because of excess pro-ban mentality/bandwagonning. EG: metagross seemed almost certain to go, and narrowly avoided it. By some miracle it didnt, but the point is something was that close and has clearly established itself as not broken, and not even a top 5 threat at that I would say
The council have their positions because they're trusted to run OU properly themselves; having council members vote only or decide themselves the placement of a suspect (OU or Uber) based off of a public suspect discussion and their informed opinions is honestly one of the best ways to go. Obviously, there will be a lot of public opposition to this because the whole ladder for reqs and getting a vote norm for suspects would be abolished, but it would probably lead to every suspect ending with the best result for the metagame.

Another alternative to this is having voters submit a paragraph of justification alongside their vote and if that is deemed lackluster, then their vote would be turned down, but this makes everything subjective and people can have others write the paragraph for them, so this option has a lot of flaws and potential downside (still a bit better than the current system, in my opinion, as it would improve the quality of voters).

During my time on PO, I have ran both of these systems to moderate success, but the former stood out as the easiest and most efficient. With that said, the former takes a lot of power out of the hands of the non-council player base and that may cause some issues.

Nicki Manaj or Taylor Swift?
Tay for sure n_n

Whos rage is more scary, CasedVictory or Omfuga?
Fuga. Cased doesn't rage, he just insults and acts condescending when he shouldn't.

Top 6 Nu mons? now put them together and give sets and evs and pm me. Now repeat for all other gs tiers
I'll give you the top 6 NU mons, but I am still learning UU and RU (fuck Ubers LC and Dubs) and I'm on phone, so not going through all the work of PMing you or going through those tiers.

Tauros, Garbodor, Musharna, Xatu, Sawk, and Klinklang.

Most overrated Bw threat?
Dragonite. CB set is ok, but DD has been mediocre for a long time now and rarely sees use. Mixed is actually interesting :o but nobody uses it.

Most Underrated BW threat?
Slowking or Mienshao.

Why dont people use exca in wcop bw? Its very good
Tbh, the primary use of it for me is as a Spinner with Balloon SD/RSpin/IHead/EQ and Sand Rush on Rain; that set is actually quite effective and can do major work often. A lot of people try using it with Mold Breaker despite Rotom-W being super uncommon rn and it is lackluster (sand rush or sand force give it a lot of utility or strength depending on the team and match-up), so I guess that gives people a false impression of it being a mediocre poke in the tier. I personally think it would settle into high A- or maybe lower A in viability rankings right now given its effectiveness, but it only saw 3 or 4 uses in WCOP unfortunately. Maybe it also has something to do with people being butthurt over new stuff in an old meta or simply not wanting to change their stuff up.

WOuld you put as your facebook, twitter, and all other social media statuses I, (your name), Play pokemon and am Amazing at it and then link your smog account if it let u win either spl or wcop?
Probably. I'm a closer pkmn player irl, ngl, but that's worth it n_n

When you said gg to mcm after losing to an fp, were u just thinkin "ooh this will cement my nice guy status on smogon so well"
There was a lot going through my mind at that point. I knew that complaining would do me no good as I can't change the past, so I figured I might as well be a good guy about it, so that was one of my motives. Another thing is the fact that I actually enjoyed preparing for and playing in the series quite a bit, so I felt saying GG was fitting as they were 'good' games and all. Lastly, right as the FP happened, a lot of people assumed I would be salty and I wanted them all to shut the fuck up :)

which is more likely, Lightchu dodging the stone edge or Lightchu actually having scarf keldeo
The former actually happened while the latter seemed like a lie to make himself seem a bit less lucky and bad (if it was scarf, he would've played differently imo), so the former it is.

favorite to win olt
Not too sure who will try, but I would like to see an up-and-coming player take it. Once playoffs come around, I'll have a specific idea of a favorite.

favorite to win stour
Me. I've been trying really hard to improve my DPP game and my ORAS game has been on point lately, so with a bit of tryharding, I see no reason why I shouldn't win ;]

With that said, I hear Jirachee is making a run at it this year and he's very good in DPP and BW, so I would give him a realistic chance, too.

Why dont we talk much anymore?:[
You're too busy being a wcop hero yn

For real though, I don't know, we should certainly talk more in the future :o

Dude why do you type so much.
Want to give my full opinion on everything.

1) are you gay? If you're not, please prove it with a pic of you kissing a girl.
Straight, but no pics on phone :x

2) you even cared about OUPL... Why do you care so much about those team tournaments?
Working with other people improves me as a player so much more than working individually and it's a fun experience when I'm with the right people, so I see no reason to not care or tryhard when it comes to team tours.

3) How different do you think your life would be without Smogon and competitive Pokemon?
Very different. I would maybe try and find another game to frequent, but I doubt anything can parallel to competitive Pokemon when it comes to appeal to me, so I would probably spend less time with this stuff and more studying or having a social life, but I get by in school and have some friends, which is good enough for me, so I will continue to play for at least a couple more years.

You're a Knicks fan? I'm sorry

1.) why is dusclops your avi?

2.) what is your least favorite gen to play ou in?

3.) opinion on the talk about testing skymin in po ou?

if you do go to rutgers enjoy spent 4 of the best years of my life there however probably not a good idea to tell ppl about mons

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Do you remember when we first met?

Have you gotten better at UU since then? If so, do you have squads I can steal for this year?

Explain why restalk keldeo is or isn't shit

Why did you lead PO east but play on Smogon central?

Why did you ban metagross when it's been proven to not be broken?

You're now OUTL here. Change the metagame to your personal liking.

time to test your tryhard capabilities to the fullest

your in-depth thoughts on the adv/dpp metagames as well as favorite pkmn/sets/strategies/teams (yes, all 4) to use in them and why.

bw1 or bw2?

overrated and underrated oras pkmn/sets?

favorite Musick?!

thoughts on the biggest cheater oat arod?

I remember protect loom stalling out your ripamon-esque sand offense on bw1 ladder, very nice to see youve come a long way from that

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
You seem like one of those "I love everyone" kinda users. Other than Limitless, who do you NOT like on Smogon?

Do you think bisexuality is real? Dice claims he is a bisexual. Frankly, as a straight guy myself, I think there's only straight or gay. Bisexuality is for confused people.

How does an already great player make himself even better? Do you think there's a poke-ceiling, i.e. a player could only get so good before he maxed out his Pokemon potential?

gratz Finch n_n

why are players so mean to you?
when will PO eventually die out?
what impact will that have on you?
do you post much because you like to give out your opinion or is it something else?
upcoming tours you want to do good in?
do you still play baseball?
favorite sport
do you think the metagame is better with or without megagross?

Finchinator

-OUTL
OU Leader
Once again, sorry for any errors - all types on phone in the car

You're a Knicks fan? I'm sorry
D:

1.) why is dusclops your avi?
It's my default avatar on these forums and I don't have an alternative right now, so I'm going with it n_n

2.) what is your least favorite gen to play ou in?
GSC. It's a lot more knowing the tier and optimal, finesse oriented play and a lot less emphasis on teambuilding and direct preparation for your opponent. In a tier like BW or ORAS, there are so many options and that helps people like me excel as I spend a lot of time building and preparing for my opponents. GSC is basically the anti-me in this perspective, but I will say that it is a good metagame overall, just not for me.

3.) opinion on the talk about testing skymin in po ou?
To avoid being blunt, I will simply say that this is not a logical idea. The ORAS OU metagame needs to eliminate top threats, if anything, not add any. Add this with the fact that Skymin would probably not be a healthy presence in the metagame and I hope you can see why I will not entertain this idea.

Problem? ;)

if you do go to rutgers enjoy spent 4 of the best years of my life there however probably not a good idea to tell ppl about mons
Ah good to know :o

What advise would you give to an intermediate team builder aspiring to be great?
First off, the more knowledge and experience you have, the better your builds are. I find myself a good BW OU team builder because I have a lot of experience in BW OU; on the contrary, I'm learning RU for GS and I'm not too good a builder as I lack the tier knowledge. Once you have a foundation of knowledge, you need ideas and a specific end goal; the more of a general idea you have, the more complete and effective a build will end up. I find a lot of inexperienced builders just going into a team aimlessly with a poke in mind and then end up spewing out a random team without much cohesion. Another big thing is going beyond general weaknesses - a lot of people look at synergy and teambuilding weaknesses by type coverage of something linear and simplistic. You have to go beyond that and think how you match-up with certain facets of the game (spikes or status, for example) or archetypes (if you can break stall or defeat offense, for example). Once you look at it all in perspective, make sure you cover the threats like normal, and build with an idea (such as some sort of win condition or a synergetic core, but there is a lot of room for variety here), your builds will be taken to the next level in all likelihood.

Do you remember when we first met?

Have you gotten better at UU since then? If so, do you have squads I can steal for this year?
Hate to say it, but I cannot quite recall when we first met. Maybe I'll remember at some point, but it has probably been a while so idk :x

I've not been too hot in UU this gen due to OU, NU, and old gens being my priorities, but come Slam I'll be competent. Back in Bw2, UU was my best tier for over a year.

If you actually want teams, I can pass you some before slam r1 if you ask in pm or smth.

Explain why restalk keldeo is or isn't shit
Ability to come in vs Bisharp and Weavile repetitively without being killed after a switch-in or two is huge as they torment a lot of teams otherwise. It also only really needs Scald to threaten so many things and the dual STAB is sufficient, especially with Pursuit support, so RestTalk is actually decent given the longevity it provides Keldeo with. With that said, Specs is still the best variant and more useful on most teams.

Why did you lead PO east but play on Smogon central?
I wasn't good enough for East back in 2014 and after playing on Central during WCOP 2014, I fell in love with the environment and the company of people like Zebraiken and co. - sticking with them this year was a no-brainier for me and I don't think I would have made East this year even if I got a chance. I live in East and had the opportunity to play and manager there for POWC for a while, so I did that regardless of where I play on Smogon.

Why did you ban metagross when it's been proven to not be broken?
Long story short is that I wanted something to change as the metagame's lackluster, but I wasn't entirely solid that MegaMeta itself was banworthy, so I let my co-OUTL MetalGro$$ decide although he was also on the fence - he elected to ban it and I didn't object, so RIP. I wouldn't mind retesting it, but I don't give enough of a shit about PO.

You're now OUTL here. Change the metagame to your personal liking.
Hypothetically speaking, I would suspect Zard-X or Manaphy and see how the metagame was without them. Both of these are top tier threats with a very limited list of counters (Zard-X especially) and for this metagame to progress, something's going to have to give (as I explained in a question or two in the OP). If possible, I would leave the decision of it being banned or not to the OU Council (as I explained in an earlier answer) as a suspect test in the current fashion is inherently flawed (I can go in detail on why it is if you'd like, but won't do so in response to this question as it would sort of be off topic).

time to test your tryhard capabilities to the fullest
:o

your in-depth thoughts on the adv/dpp metagames as well as favorite pkmn/sets/strategies/teams (yes, all 4) to use in them and why.
DPP:
Cool metagame with a lot of room for using interesting sets and strategies. I'm re-learning this metagame a bit now as when I learned it for the first time, my knowledge was shaky at best and this tours season I need to do well in DPP.

Favorite set is CB Flygon with DD Tar being a close second. Honorable mention to Custap Metagross, LO Celebi, and Passho HP Grass Tran. All of these open up holes for win conditions or fulfill the role of being potent win conditions that fit my generally offensive dpp playstyle.

Favorite pokes in general are Tar, Tran, and Rotom - yes, I know I'm quite boring. The only non-standard pokes I have used are Custap Snorlax and Lead Gallade.

Team wise, I have been messing around with: CB Flygon Lead + CB Tar + Bulky Tbolt Starmie + LO SR HP Fire Celebi + Scarf Heatran + DD Gyara as of late. Main idea is CB Flygon + CB Tar core to break down physical tanks and trap problematic mons and then clean with Scarf Tran or DD Gyara. Historically, I've used pretty much everything (used tspikes stall, physical offense, LO aero semi-stall, curse pert balanced, lead machamp HO, and a couple other squads over the last two/three seasons of tour so nobody could counterstyle me, so it's hard to pick one favorite).

ADV:
Really fun metagame with a lot more room for creativity than one would expect from the outside and still a generally developed balance and standards that make it a healthy tier. I'm not ultra knowledgeable here and never have been, but always enjoyed spectating SPL or WCOP games in ADV as a lot of them are quality games with solid players.

Favorite sets are CB Aero, Mixed Tar, and SubSalac Pert. Honorable mention to CM Pass Celebi and Roar HP Grass Jolteon. All of them are dynamic Pokemon that wear our opponents with Spike support or directly support a quick, offensive oriented team with multiple win conditions.

Favorite mons are Aero (on almost every team I make lol), Skarm, Tar, Jolt, and Celebi. I haven't innovated anything that's good in this tier or used something remotely creative, but one laughable set I used when I was really new was Haze Gengar to "beat" CM spam (probably the stupidest shit ever considering it gets Boom and DBond to stop a slower sweeper in its tracks and most CM mons do a ton to it even at +0).

One team that someone gave me (iirc it was D4RR3N, but idk who built it) and I used a bit over the years was CB Meta / CB Tar / Sub Salac Pert / SD Lum Hera / Curse Boom Lax / CB Aero. It's fucking potent, but it lacks a super reliable defensive backbone. I built some cool Jolteon+Aero+spikes squad recently myself, but it lacks a rock resist not named Dugtrio and it gets fucked by a well played Mixed Tar, so it's not exactly my favorite team, but one of the only ones I built myself, so figured I would mention it as I don't have much else to say about ADV.

bw1 or bw2?
I am one of the few guys that fucking loves BW2, but BW1 was probably the better metagame when its all said and done. At the end of BW1, it was pretty balanced and games where often decided on who played better (maybe my old playstyle was just a bit more oriented to this, but that's what I recall). In BW2, match-up was a bit more prevalent (not as much as some people like to say, but it was still present) and a lot of threats (Keld, KyuB, Volc, MG Psychics, etc.) took arguably (emphasis on arguably because it truly depends on who you ask here, imo BW2 is fine) unhealthy roles in the metagame

overrated and underrated oras pkmn/sets?
Mons
Overrated: Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie, and Rotom-W.

Underrated: Mega Manectric, Slowking, Gastrodon and Tangrowth.

Sets
Overrated: AV Azu, CB Talon, AV Raikou (hi Tesung), SDef Celebi, and DD CG Mega Alt.

Underrated: CB Aqua Tail Tar, Toxic SR LandoT, LO Taunt Torn-T, Offensive Wisp Zard-X, CM 2A Slowbro, CB Ferrothorn (I swear it's has legitimate uses), NP Mew, and EBelt Jirachi.

favorite Musick?!
I don't have any one genre that I personally favor over another (maybe Alternative if anything), but I tend to just listen to anything depending on my mood and what I can listen to at the time. Unfortunately, I'm not a metal fan D:

thoughts on the biggest cheater oat arod?
Had he at least been truthful about his cheating, I maybe would accept him as a guy, but since he initially wasn't, I generally dislike him as an individual. With that said, it is impressive how well he came back playing wise this year and I'm glad he is doing well, so I'm indifferent on him as a whole.

ps: LOL this man has fucking three home runs tonight, gotta respect that

I remember protect loom stalling out your ripamon-esque sand offense on bw1 ladder, very nice to see youve come a long way from that
Thanks. I remember getting smashed by that Art of Ruin team dozens of times on the ladder back in the day. Just one thing about it: where are your flying resists? n_n

You seem like one of those "I love everyone" kinda users. Other than Limitless, who do you NOT like on Smogon?
I have dirt on a LOT of people, but I tend to keep it in private channels to avoid creating a scene or having my rep take a hit. If you truly want to know who I dislike, send me a forum PM as I would rather not roast people in a public setting.

Do you think bisexuality is real? Dice claims he is a bisexual. Frankly, as a straight guy myself, I think there's only straight or gay. Bisexuality is for confused people.
Well one of my best irl friends likes a girl who claims to be bi, so I will take his/her word for it and assume it's a thing. I never have had personal experience with it and never put too much thought into this subject matter, so not really qualified or informed to answer sufficiently.

How does an already great player make himself even better? Do you think there's a poke-ceiling, i.e. a player could only get so good before he maxed out his Pokemon potential?
Great question. I think one of the best tools for improving yourself when you've already reached a high level is re-watching your battles and dissecting your each and every move, especially after a loss. You learn a lot about yourself and your mindset through a bit of self-evaluation and reflection; it can truly help you take your game to the "next level" when you're already a proven player, imo. Another thing has to be practicing frequently against other high level players. The more games I play in big tours or against proven opponents, the better I get - experience is HUGE and correlates directly to success and improvement as a player.

As for the ceiling question, I don't think there is one, but there is certainly a point when improvement is harder to achieve than it otherwise would be. For example, Bloo at his/her peak set the record for SmogTour points - surpassing that mark again in the future would've been incredibly hard for him/her to do and would've probably taken quite a few seasons if it ever were to happen again (won't happen now unless it's on an alt, obviously). Obviously, factors like match-up, luck, who you play, etc. can alter your point total every season, so this example is sort of flawed, but I hope you get the gist of what I am saying.

gratz Finch n_n
Thanks boss n_n

why are players so mean to you?
Not quite sure, but I know I got off on the wrong foot with a lot of people dating back to my ladder days.

when will PO eventually die out?
PO will hang on to life for a while, but the start of generation seven will be its last breath of life as PS kills it upon implementation of the generation (PS implementing fully functional GSC in the near future should also hurt PO quite a bit).

what impact will that have on you?
Probably none as I intend to quit after POCL unless that rekindles my interests to contribute. With that said, I hope to remain a part of the PO community after I formally quit my positions, so maybe it will be an annoyance to me, who knows. Also, if there are no suitable POUTL replacements, I won't leave until we find one or I truly lose all interest in PO, so don't worry - I'm not leaving you hanging.

do you post much because you like to give out your opinion or is it something else?
I like to give my opinion (at length, haha) and I also enjoy arguing my side when given a fair opportunity to do so.

upcoming tours you want to do good in?
SmogTour is going to be huge for me, but POCL, OLT, and GSlam will also be interesting. SPL is still far away, but I'm already beyond hyped for it!

do you still play baseball?
Nah, but I still love the game.

favorite sport
Baseball is my favorite, but I love Football, Basketball, and Soccer, too.

do you think the metagame is better with or without megagross?
It's not really different besides the fact that teambuilding is a tad easier (not a noteworthy difference) and one of the tier's better breakers is no longer usable. I think the metagame is a bit better with it and if something were to get banned, it should be Manaphy or Zard-X as both of them have a very limited list of counters and would take a lot of stress off of teambuilding and the fact that it's quite limited now due to the abundance of top tier threats we have to cover.

Last edited:

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Why you gotta tryhard so much oml
Favorite ORAS metagame?
What is your favorite meme?
Will you someday build a squad as good as the triple water alliance team?
favorite generation, considering all the metagames on them?
(dog) or (monkey)? (hint: theres only one correct answer to this)
Who do you think have good chances of reaching grand slam playoffs/winnin the whole thing?

sorry if somethin has already been asked :x also love finch, cool kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)