Unpopular opinions

I actually like shiny Groudon better than shiny primal Groudon. I just like the yellow and it makes me think of a desert which goes well with Groudon being able to create more land and how he creates blaring hot sunny days with drought.

♦Battle Spot > Every other singles format

♦Doubles > Everything Else & Anything Else

♦I love stage 1 starters more than basic or stage 2 forms (Except Croconaw and Grovyle)

♦The 3D models were a disaster because 2013 wasn't their time to shine. So are Mega Evolution and Froakie cabs.

♦HATING PIKACHU AND/OR ASH KETCHUM DOESN'T MAKE ANYONE COOL.

♦I want Jynx to have its "black skin" even though it wasn't even flesh but emptiness (it collapses when it's fainted in...Stadium iirc).

♦The fifth generation was the best generation.

♦Inanimate object pokémon are original and somewhat creative, it is true that most of them don't look as appealing as a pile of shi- water pollution with eyes.

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
you know, come to think about it I agree with OneManFreakShow that Pokemon should be more advanced graphically. Such a big franchise, you'd think that at least they'd have better character models, better tile layout, settings, et cetera et cetera. The graphical style of X/Y and ORAS was just so blurry and sort of weak (ORAS fixed this a luittle bit with some impressive water-reflection scenes but still).

I don't hate Pikachu but I do hate Raichu, it is just Pikachu with some bells and whistles added on, no change at all--the Mega before Megas were a thing, really.

I want a Pokemon game that looks like the cutscenes badly too, but we probably won't have that until Pokemon makes the move to a Nintendo console or the next New 3DS.

I think animated sprites were a bad idea looking at them in Black and White. They don't look good.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
♦I love stage 1 starters more than basic or stage 2 forms (Except Croconaw and Grovyle)

♦The 3D models were a disaster because 2013 wasn't their time to shine. So are Mega Evolution and Froakie cabs.

♦HATING PIKACHU AND/OR ASH KETCHUM DOESN'T MAKE YOU COOL.

♦I want Jynx to have its "black skin" even though it wasn't even flesh but emptiness (it collapses when it's fainted in...Stadium iirc).

♦The fifth generation was the best generation.

♦Inanimate object pokémon are original and somewhat creative, it is true that most of them don't look as appealing as a pile of shi- water pollution with eyes.
1. I've noticed the middle stage evolutions of the starters don't have much of a following, often they're ignored since they're probably looked upon as just a bridging form between the cute basic stage and the awesome final stage. They're like the middle child that no one really knows what to think of them aside from being a stepping stone. Sometimes it looks even the artist doesn't know what to do as they figure out how to make it look like an evolution of the basic stage, logically would evolve into the final stage, and also try to have its own uniqueness. Though I do wish some of the things the middle starter did carry over, like I would like to have a Charizard with Charmleon's colors.

2. The 3D images do look a bit choppy but I do think they're partially saved by the anime-like stylization. My gripe is that they have boring animations. Look back at past 3D games and you'll sometimes see the Pokemon doing something while standing there or do something interesting when doing an attack. But unless it's outright stated a Pokemon acts a certain way, most of the Gen VI 3D models just stand there. I'm hoping this is only because this is the first time the handhelds jumped to 3D and now that they have them models done they'll be able to do more with them (and maybe even give trainers in-game models).

3. I don't hate Ash, just hate how he's written. And I'm not asking him to become super competent, no, I'm just asking for the very least have him act like he's gone through 5 other regions and participated in their Pokemon Leagues! He shouldn't be surprised or now know things he had encountered before, being in a new region would supply plenty of new things and situations he hadn't encountered that you shouldn't need to.
And if you're going to make Pikachu lose have it be in a logical way, it shouldn't be losing to Pokemon it has a type advantage over. Honestly the first Gym shouldn't be the one Ash is having problems with, making him lose or having a really difficult time feels very forced. Just let the battle play out naturally.

4. Yup, in the Stadium games it looks like, at least in the eyes of the Stadium modelers, that Jynx was actually just a void with a face. Of course that was back in the early days and it looks like they might have decided it was skin? Well whatever now its purple maybe for all the better, or at least to stop people saying its black face. *shrugs*

5. Wouldn't say the best but it is my favorite.

6. Like anything if done right an inanimate Pokemon can look perfectly fine, but there are just some objects which no matter what people will tilt their head at, especially when done wrong.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
1. I've noticed the middle stage evolutions of the starters don't have much of a following, often they're ignored since they're probably looked upon as just a bridging form between the cute basic stage and the awesome final stage. They're like the middle child that no one really knows what to think of them aside from being a stepping stone. Sometimes it looks even the artist doesn't know what to do as they figure out how to make it look like an evolution of the basic stage, logically would evolve into the final stage, and also try to have its own uniqueness. Though I do wish some of the things the middle starter did carry over, like I would like to have a Charizard with Charmleon's colors.

2. The 3D images do look a bit choppy but I do think they're partially saved by the anime-like stylization. My gripe is that they have boring animations. Look back at past 3D games and you'll sometimes see the Pokemon doing something while standing there or do something interesting when doing an attack. But unless it's outright stated a Pokemon acts a certain way, most of the Gen VI 3D models just stand there. I'm hoping this is only because this is the first time the handhelds jumped to 3D and now that they have them models done they'll be able to do more with them (and maybe even give trainers in-game models).

3. I don't hate Ash, just hate how he's written. And I'm not asking him to become super competent, no, I'm just asking for the very least have him act like he's gone through 5 other regions and participated in their Pokemon Leagues! He shouldn't be surprised or now know things he had encountered before, being in a new region would supply plenty of new things and situations he hadn't encountered that you shouldn't need to.
And if you're going to make Pikachu lose have it be in a logical way, it shouldn't be losing to Pokemon it has a type advantage over. Honestly the first Gym shouldn't be the one Ash is having problems with, making him lose or having a really difficult time feels very forced. Just let the battle play out naturally.

4. Yup, in the Stadium games it looks like, at least in the eyes of the Stadium modelers, that Jynx was actually just a void with a face. Of course that was back in the early days and it looks like they might have decided it was skin? Well whatever now its purple maybe for all the better, or at least to stop people saying its black face. *shrugs*

5. Wouldn't say the best but it is my favorite.

6. Like anything if done right an inanimate Pokemon can look perfectly fine, but there are just some objects which no matter what people will tilt their head at, especially when done wrong.
4. I actually think Pokemon shouldn't have cared about the whiny people who claims to be offended.
They could have just explained it, much like the Dutch Zwarte Piete remains to be black.
Pokemon should have evaluated how much percentage of the Pokemon fans population are offended, and whether the number is significant.

Here are some of my unpopular opinions:
- The Bulbasaur line is my favourite of the original starter trio, and the Squirtle line is probably my least favourite if I had to pick, even though I like all of them.

- I don't really mind the designs of the Vanillite line, and the Litwick line looks really cool and unique. I don't understand why people complain about Gen 5's designs when we got cool stuff like an electric tarantula and a dragon with giant axe fangs.

- I liked the cross-gen evolutions in DPP. In my opinion, Magmortar, Rhyperior and Yanmega look great, and the evolutions helped make previously forgettable Pokemon more relevant.

- I don't understand the hate for X and Y. Yes, it had some flaws, but it was also a big step forward for the series. A brand new type was introduced to help make Dragon types more balanced and Steel and Poison types less underwhelming offensively, Mega Evolutions gave a big boost to irrelavent Pokemon, and we finally got a 3D game and trainer customisation which fans have wanted for a long time. But the best part is being able to run immediately :)

- Speaking of X and Y, I quite like the designs of the 3 starters, although I initially wasn't keen on them.

- In my opinion, Clair is a more difficult Gym Leader than Whitney.

- I despise the Game Corner, not because of the minigames you have to play, but because of the absurd prices for the better prices. Want Thunderbolt for your Ampharos? Too bad, you'll have to get 10,000 coins in fucking Voltorb flip first.

- I really like Mega Beedrill and Pidgeot because they have cool designs AND make previously trash Pokemon useable. I particularly like Mega Pidgeot for the fact that you will never miss a move that normally misses constantly.

- HGSS had the best menu interfaces and overworld. Everything just looks so polished and lovely.

- For whatever reason, I really like the rental Pokemon battles in the battle facilities, particularly the Rental Tournament in the PWT. I guess I like them because you don't have to do any of that IV breeding bullshit that really puts me off from playing competitively on a cartridge.

- For whatever reason, I really like the rental Pokemon battles in the battle facilities, particularly the Rental Tournament in the PWT. I guess I like them because you don't have to do any of that IV breeding bullshit that really puts me off from playing competitively on a cartridge.
I like them because you never know what Pokémon you're going to get. It's a surprise, just like opening a booster pack from the TCG.

No I agree with that too, partly because of the EV/IV bullshit you listed but also because non-rental battle streaks boil down mostly to "have a strategy for every possible opposing set, execute said strategy (whilst not having to worry about the AI which is for the most part very predictable), and hope not to lose to hax". Rental battles actually make you think rather than merely following a recipe for success.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here are some of my unpopular opinions:
- The Bulbasaur line is my favourite of the original starter trio, and the Squirtle line is probably my least favourite if I had to pick, even though I like all of them.

- I don't really mind the designs of the Vanillite line, and the Litwick line looks really cool and unique. I don't understand why people complain about Gen 5's designs when we got cool stuff like an electric tarantula and a dragon with giant axe fangs.

- I liked the cross-gen evolutions in DPP. In my opinion, Magmortar, Rhyperior and Yanmega look great, and the evolutions helped make previously forgettable Pokemon more relevant.

- I don't understand the hate for X and Y. Yes, it had some flaws, but it was also a big step forward for the series. A brand new type was introduced to help make Dragon types more balanced and Steel and Poison types less underwhelming offensively, Mega Evolutions gave a big boost to irrelavent Pokemon, and we finally got a 3D game and trainer customisation which fans have wanted for a long time. But the best part is being able to run immediately :)

- Speaking of X and Y, I quite like the designs of the 3 starters, although I initially wasn't keen on them.

- In my opinion, Clair is a more difficult Gym Leader than Whitney.

- I despise the Game Corner, not because of the minigames you have to play, but because of the absurd prices for the better prices. Want Thunderbolt for your Ampharos? Too bad, you'll have to get 10,000 coins in fucking Voltorb flip first.

- I really like Mega Beedrill and Pidgeot because they have cool designs AND make previously trash Pokemon useable. I particularly like Mega Pidgeot for the fact that you will never miss a move that normally misses constantly.

- HGSS had the best menu interfaces and overworld. Everything just looks so polished and lovely.

There was a rental tournament???

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
4. I actually think Pokemon shouldn't have cared about the whiny people who claims to be offended.
They could have just explained it, much like the Dutch Zwarte Piete remains to be black.
Pokemon should have evaluated how much percentage of the Pokemon fans population are offended, and whether the number is significant.
Actually no Pokemon fan was offended. Changing Jynx to purple was honestly more of a "political" move more than GF admitting/fixing a mistake. I think the only person who was offended was Carole Boston Weatherford, who also pointed out Mr. Popo from Dragon Ball (though it did give us a funny joke in Dragon Ball Abridged). Now it was just her opinion and I don't think many people cared, but with Pokemon being a popular franchise and the News being opportunist hounds they jumped on the story and made it bigger than it really was. With this controversy possibly might convincing African decent families away from buying stuff for the franchise they changed Jynx to purple... further proving that Jynx isn't a racial stereotype since its color could be easily changed affecting nothing about it. *sigh*

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Actually no Pokemon fan was offended. Changing Jynx to purple was honestly more of a "political" move more than GF admitting/fixing a mistake. I think the only person who was offended was Carole Boston Weatherford, who also pointed out Mr. Popo from Dragon Ball (though it did give us a funny joke in Dragon Ball Abridged). Now it was just her opinion and I don't think many people cared, but with Pokemon being a popular franchise and the News being opportunist hounds they jumped on the story and made it bigger than it really was. With this controversy possibly might convincing African decent families away from buying stuff for the franchise they changed Jynx to purple... further proving that Jynx isn't a racial stereotype since its color could be easily changed affecting nothing about it. *sigh*
At least the official excuse was "we want to make everyone happy", said Ishihara to the Pokebeach interview, addressing Jynx's color change.
Although it was probably 4kids or Nintendo USA who chose the color purple, instead of Game Freak.
I remembered that even prior to the controversy, Pokemon.com Pokedex did change Jynx into purple.

Alright, I'm going to drop my unpopular opinion here: I like the pentagon. You know, the one that means only pokemon bred/caught/received in an event in Gen VI can be used in WiFi (I think)/official Nintendo battle events/whatever?
Alright, before I'm burned at the stake, let me explain my reasoning for this: Power Creep.
Yes, Power Creep. Even with Megas and Primals introduced this gen, I'm citing Power Creep as my reason for liking the Penta. Of course, I have to explain my reasoning for this too, and it actually has to do with Trading Card Games. From what I can tell, it is standard practice to only allow cards from the past couple of sets for official tournaments to prevent stupid OP combinations of cards from taking over the metagame. This also encourages diversity in the decks that occur, and effectively prevents power creep by making sure the power of old cards does not affect the power of new cards, and so new cards can compete without having to be ridiculously OP.
Of course, Pokemon is a completely different game than TCGs, but I think the same principle still applies. Yes, power creep came in the form of the pokemon themselves, but I think that's fixable. Nintendo has shown themselves not to be too averse to having balance patches (Smash Bros has been patched multiple times according to how the community meta has developed, preventing things from being overly centralizing), and has even done so with pokemon by buffing some weaker mons BSTs in Gen VI (and didn't they nerf Mega Kanga?...or was that just talk or was I completely insane and made that up in my head...?). BSTs and abilities can be changed between generations or even in the middle of one, but they can't do much with some other things. Now, I'm guessing the main reason for the whole penta thing was to prevent hacks as much as possible (the 3DS was unhackable when the penta was introduced, right?), but it also has another effect: it prevents pokemon with (old) event moves/old moves removed from a learnset from competing. This means that certain OP pokemon/move combinations are not legal in the "official" meta. Think of the absolute havoc some of these event moves would create with megas and whatnot - V-create M-Rayquaza? Terrifying. Certain other things became standard that were not necessarily intended - Wish Chansey comes to mind.
TL;DR - pokemon BSTs and abilities can always be changed to effectively scrub that power creep from the game. Pokemon moves that were introduced in some obscure event, and would have had to have been RNG'd or soft resetted to even have a hope of being on a competitive mon could suddenly have been made accessible to everyone on a perfect mon via hacking. The only way to prevent this would have been to introduce a similar system to the ones in the TCGs, meaning that some old mons would have had to been made illegal. It's not like they're preventing you from using those pokemon to breed or complete the pokedex or whatever you want with them, it's only in "competitive" or "official" play they're illegal.
So, in the interest of preventing power creep, I'm hoping for a similar mechanic in the next generation, a hexagon, or even a heptagon (because Gen VII, right :P), restricting pokemon to only those obtained in the current generation.

Alright, I'm going to drop my unpopular opinion here: I like the pentagon. You know, the one that means only pokemon bred/caught/received in an event in Gen VI can be used in WiFi (I think)/official Nintendo battle events/whatever?
Alright, before I'm burned at the stake, let me explain my reasoning for this: Power Creep.
Yes, Power Creep. Even with Megas and Primals introduced this gen, I'm citing Power Creep as my reason for liking the Penta. Of course, I have to explain my reasoning for this too, and it actually has to do with Trading Card Games. From what I can tell, it is standard practice to only allow cards from the past couple of sets for official tournaments to prevent stupid OP combinations of cards from taking over the metagame. This also encourages diversity in the decks that occur, and effectively prevents power creep by making sure the power of old cards does not affect the power of new cards, and so new cards can compete without having to be ridiculously OP.
Of course, Pokemon is a completely different game than TCGs, but I think the same principle still applies. Yes, power creep came in the form of the pokemon themselves, but I think that's fixable. Nintendo has shown themselves not to be too averse to having balance patches (Smash Bros has been patched multiple times according to how the community meta has developed, preventing things from being overly centralizing), and has even done so with pokemon by buffing some weaker mons BSTs in Gen VI (and didn't they nerf Mega Kanga?...or was that just talk or was I completely insane and made that up in my head...?). BSTs and abilities can be changed between generations or even in the middle of one, but they can't do much with some other things. Now, I'm guessing the main reason for the whole penta thing was to prevent hacks as much as possible (the 3DS was unhackable when the penta was introduced, right?), but it also has another effect: it prevents pokemon with (old) event moves/old moves removed from a learnset from competing. This means that certain OP pokemon/move combinations are not legal in the "official" meta. Think of the absolute havoc some of these event moves would create with megas and whatnot - V-create M-Rayquaza? Terrifying. Certain other things became standard that were not necessarily intended - Wish Chansey comes to mind.
TL;DR - pokemon BSTs and abilities can always be changed to effectively scrub that power creep from the game. Pokemon moves that were introduced in some obscure event, and would have had to have been RNG'd or soft resetted to even have a hope of being on a competitive mon could suddenly have been made accessible to everyone on a perfect mon via hacking. The only way to prevent this would have been to introduce a similar system to the ones in the TCGs, meaning that some old mons would have had to been made illegal. It's not like they're preventing you from using those pokemon to breed or complete the pokedex or whatever you want with them, it's only in "competitive" or "official" play they're illegal.
So, in the interest of preventing power creep, I'm hoping for a similar mechanic in the next generation, a hexagon, or even a heptagon (because Gen VII, right :P), restricting pokemon to only those obtained in the current generation.
I don't really get what you are saying here. You like the pentagon to avoid old tutor moves to be allowed in basically VGC only, because they were too OP. Mega Rayquaza with V-Create is a threat, but Rayquaza itself can't be used in any formats that require the pentagon, any "official meta", so you can't really say that you like the pentagon because it avoided Mega Rayquaza with V-Create to be running around in "official metagames", because it is not allowed in those anyways, pentagon or not. The only place you can use Mega Rayquaza is in Online Competitions that allow legendaries of any kind, and those anyways ignore the pentagon. I can't see any tutor moves that are really scary from old gens that would destroy the official formats. Wish Chansey, Follow Me Magmar and Electivire, and so on, would not completely alter the VGC metagame. Battle Spot went over well in XY without the pentagon rule, so that can't be used as an argument either. You say that they want to avoid those event only moves that flawless Pokemon with those moves almost have to be hacked, well, look at Halloween Gengar. Pentagon, with an ecxlusive event move (Sludge Wave), and you have to hack it to make it flawless. Extreme Speed Jumpfesta Linoone? Same thing. If they want to avoid that people "have use hacks in official formats" to use flawless Pokemon with these event moves, then they should not have given out Halloween Gengar or Jumpfesta Linoone. Also, they never nerfed Kangaskhan, I don't see where you get that from, Nintendo will never do anything like that, ever. Another thing, how does the pentagon prevent power creep? I thought power creep meant that there are stronger and stronger Pokemon and whatnot (read: Mega Ray, Primals, Mega Evolutions), how does the pentagon avoid that?

For the longest time I never liked the dragon type. Most of it was because up until third gen the only real representative we had was Dragonite (or as my younger self called him, Barney knock-off. Kingdra was hard to get if you don't trade, so never really factored her in). Even later as the type diversified I still didn't like it that much, due to being pretty overpowered and tough to beat. Began to associate "Dragon" with "Cheater." Didn't help that Lance kept sweeping me in Gen2 (although in retrospect it was more due to my poor playing and lack of preparation. I had, like, 3 flying types on my team).

This has loosened over the years, oddly starting with Mr. OP himself Garchomp changing my mind (his design is just too awesome). Now I like them as much as any other type, but I was still glad when Fairy type rolled in to check them. Still feel they are overcentralizing (remember how many dragon legendaries we got in Gen 3, 4, and 5? Crazy. Poor Poison still doesn't have one).

So basically, "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb Dragon"

What I'm saying is more about meta diversity than anything. If you have one pokemon who's only job is to pass wishes to other mons, you have no reason to use anything other than wish Chansey, as if you just want a wish passer the higher the BP the better (of course, a dedicated wish passer is probably not optimal but w/e) (and V-create Rayquaza was just a stupid powerful mon with a stupid powerful event move I thought of off the top of my heads. Yes, it can't be used in VGC :P). This way, Nintendo doesn't have to look at X new pokemon they're introducing and say "we want X to do this, but Y pokemon does it better because of Z event move, so unless we give X something powerful to use over Y, no one will ever use it". It's easy to change the learnset of a pokemon, but hard to remove existing moves made illegal by said changes.
If I recall correctly, at the time of Halloween Gengar was introduced, the hacking devices were not available to the public (although I could be wrong, but I can't find anything to the contrary, but it's hard to get exact dates). Extremespeed Linoone is different, as it was introduced after hacking, but a pokemon such as Linoone is relatively harmless to the meta - Extremespeed Linoone has been out since Pokemon Box and has still remained in NU/PU - re-releasing it would have essentially no effect on the meta. And yes, that is a flimsy excuse, but I think we all need to remember that when this stuff was instituted, there was no hacking for the 3DS - almost 100% of Wish Chanseys encountered were going to be hacked, as it was introduced in 2004 and then never reintroduced. If they had decided Wish Chansey was balanced, they would have had another event or put Wish in Chansey's movepool. This way, they're scrubbing both the large amounts of hacks and the smaller amount of legitimate mons from the meta. Yes, you essentially have to hack to get a perfect event mon, but the penta is more about getting rid of the myriad old hacks and unbalanced moves
...I must've read something weird about Kanga or something. Maybe I just made it all up .-. My bad :P
Another thing, how does the pentagon prevent power creep? I thought power creep meant that there are stronger and stronger Pokemon and whatnot (read: Mega Ray, Primals, Mega Evolutions), how does the pentagon avoid that?
I'm afraid that this last statement was already addressed in my previous post. As I said, it is easy and has had precedent to change what abilities or moves do, what pokemon have what BSTs, or what pokemon's movepools are between generations. It is not easy to get rid of all the old moves already taught to pokemon. The only feasible way to do so is to prevent all old mons from competing in the "official" meta, phasing out those old events, old movepools, etc. The "big" power creep can be easily patched out. The other kind of power creep - movepool power creep, is hard to remove. The penta is the only way I see to get rid of it and keep the moves on the pokemon, thus retaining those events for private use. Perhaps a better system would be to put in a ban on each pokemon forcing them to only use moves obtainable that generation, but that system seems extremely complicated and easily prone to mistakes. It would also take a ton of time and be annoying to code, so I can understand if GF doesn't want to do that...Aaanyway, I'm rambling, so ima end this post before it becomes too bad a wordwall.

I'm afraid that this last statement was already addressed in my previous post. As I said, it is easy and has had precedent to change what abilities or moves do, what pokemon have what BSTs, or what pokemon's movepools are between generations. It is not easy to get rid of all the old moves already taught to pokemon. The only feasible way to do so is to prevent all old mons from competing in the "official" meta, phasing out those old events, old movepools, etc. The "big" power creep can be easily patched out. The other kind of power creep - movepool power creep, is hard to remove. The penta is the only way I see to get rid of it and keep the moves on the pokemon, thus retaining those events for private use. Perhaps a better system would be to put in a ban on each pokemon forcing them to only use moves obtainable that generation, but that system seems extremely complicated and easily prone to mistakes. It would also take a ton of time and be annoying to code, so I can understand if GF doesn't want to do that...Aaanyway, I'm rambling, so ima end this post before it becomes too bad a wordwall.
The only particular moves anything got locked out of were Gen 4 Tutor moves, which affects very few mons (mainly Defog users), since every Gen 5 Tutor move is back in the Gen 6 Pentagon games anyway. Virtually every Pokemon legal in the Pentagon-only competitions is obtainable with a Pentagon via breeding, and in fact most people would rebreed anyway because of new combos that became possible with the breeding mechanics such as Belly-Jet Azumarill.

There weren't any particularly game breaking event moves granted to anything usable in Pent-only, whether the move became legal normally at a later point, a similar event was distributed, or the move just wasn't inherently necessary for the Pokemon's success. Locking the old events out doesn't accomplish anything because for the most part, very little of particular value was lost for VGC format tournaments. Even then, even if 99.99% of competitive events are hacks, why penalize the people who actually managed to get one that was usable (not perfect, but usable)? It's like a teacher failing an entire class because 19 students cheated even though one kid actually managed to get a legitimate B. That's not fair to him.

The Pentagon effectively becomes an arbitrary way to make people who played competitively in prior games start fresh in Gen 6, whether they wanted to or not. Even if the new mechanics make it easier, re-breeding high IV Pokemon is time consuming busy work. And even then, the people who would have any real concern over these combinations probably would rebreed the mons, while potential hackers would just have to add the Pentagon when they create Pokemon. Meanwhile, that really neat Dragonite I trained up and used in my B2W2 days? Yeah, he's basically meaningless in official tournaments now because he doesn't have a Pentagon that indicates nothing for legitimacy, only origin. If you're honestly weeding out hacks worth weeding out, the Pentagon isn't going to be what would give it away.

The Pentagon does nothing to resolve Power creep or contribute to the already hole-filled hack checks. It's just an attempt to level the playing field by invalidating all the work put into obtaining mons in old generations. Even if I could replace them, I worked hard to train up some Pokemon for Gen 5, and now if I want to play the new games' competitions, I effectively wasted my time.

If you want to deal with power creep, then put people in place who seem to give a damn about balancing the game. Say what you want about what turned out broken or not, but the fact that they were surprised that people used Special Attacker Aegislash convinces me some of these designers are out of touch at best and completely inept at balancing their own game at worst.

Special attack Aegislash facts never get old, let's be honest. Half of the moves a Pokemon gets are for role playing reasons, the rest are the intended use GF had for it. They apparently thought Aegislash was going to be a bulky swords dancer and only mimic the base stats with a ghost and steel move pool with some mineral egg moves attached and the odd but welcomed headsmash.

They really have no idea of what they are doing outside of the intended self balance inception for doubles.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Special attack Aegislash facts never get old, let's be honest. Half of the moves a Pokemon gets are for role playing reasons, the rest are the intended use GF had for it. They apparently thought Aegislash was going to be a bulky swords dancer and only mimic the base stats with a ghost and steel move pool with some mineral egg moves attached and the odd but welcomed headsmash.

They really have no idea of what they are doing outside of the intended self balance inception for doubles.
Considering both its Attack and Special Attack are equal, maybe they thought it was going to be a mixed attacker (maybe with a lean to physical because, well, sword) so surprised to see it being used purely as a Special attacker?

The funny thing is even in Doubles Aegislash is best as a Special Attacker using Wide Guard for support - only occasionally using Shadow Sneak.

Considering both its Attack and Special Attack are equal, maybe they thought it was going to be a mixed attacker (maybe with a lean to physical because, well, sword) so surprised to see it being used purely as a Special attacker?
In the interview they specifically mentioned they were surprised to see it use special attacks. Funnily enough they particularly point out Flash Cannon; which is pretty baffling as 1. It's a STAB move, 2. You literally just introduced Fairy-types, come on

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
In the interview they specifically mentioned they were surprised to see it use special attacks. Funnily enough they particularly point out Flash Cannon; which is pretty baffling as 1. It's a STAB move, 2. You literally just introduced Fairy-types, come on
Looking through Aegislash's movepool I can maybe see where they're coming from. For one thing it doesn't naturally learn any Special moves while even by TM or Tutor the only useful Special Moves it gets are Shadow Ball and Flash Cannon. But what they probably didn't realize is that's what it only needed. Shadow Ball is its strongest Ghost-type attack and its strongest Steel-type attack is tied with Flash Cannon and Iron Head (which is maybe why they're surprised by Flash Cannon, Iron Head is just as strong). Of course what probably gives Flash Cannon more of a push is that its secondary effect can happen any time while Iron Head needs to move first and with a Speed of 60 it's not going to (heck, I think 60 is considered too high for a Trick Room team). Also considering that King Shield lowers the opponent's Attack and there's Abilities like Intimidate it might be a better idea to use its Special Attack so that the opponent's can't mess with your strategy by doing some trickery with the Attack stat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)