Pikachu Cup [Online Competition]

Just want to confirm: you only need to do 3 battles to be eligible for the Pikachu (if it happens), right?
Yes, as far as I know.

I have another question: how is the ladder of the top used pokemon calculated? I mean, should I use Pikachu in every battle to get it in the top 3 or I can just have it in my team or just use it once? Because it really sucks and my Pikachu is now just a gimmicky teeter dancer lol Raichu can do anything Pikachu can do but a lot better

So for the day I am 11-4.

I was 8-0 and my first lost came when Pachirisu missed Super Fang and Electivire EQ'd to double faint my leads. After that playing catch up was rough.

I had 2 losses where I was just simply out maneuvered, 1 of which was Sticky Web and for some reason I opted to not lead with my speed.

My last battle for the day and another loss was against the first Scarf Electivire I faced all day and a max SPD EV'd Ampharos, not an Agility build, just heavily EV invested SPD.

I was shocked to not see more Choice Scarf'd Electivires. I know they were rampant and very effective on Showdown.

A lot of different tactics today than I saw on Showdown.

Like Pikachu without Fake Out, and a defensive Pikachu with I am hoping it was holding an Eviolite, because Synchronoise usually OHKO's Pikachu.

I'm a little disappointed in the 11-4 record, I mean to start out 8-0 and then drop 4 of 7 to higher ranked players leaves a bitter taste.

9-6. Me First Zebstrika is the star on my team. A lot more Mega Manectrics than it seems people expected, and they've been destroying me. This is surprisingly tough! :)

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Ended day 1 with 12-3. One loss was from a disconnect, one was due to some low damage rolls (they survived on a pixel of health twice! Without a sash!), and one was due to misplaying and then not being able to recover.

Pretty happy with my team so far! The battle spot meta seems quite different from the showdown one. I haven't seen a single raichu yet but almost everyone had a pikachu, and all of the opening pikachu+electivire leads don't even give pikachu the balloon. I also haven't seen any electrodes yet, and lanturn and galvantula are a lot more common than on showdown.

Fought a few strange teams, including one double team + follow me electivire! Blizzard spam is also a lot scarier than I thought, especially when half of my team is weak to ice haha

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm having trouble registering in-game for this. I know I definitely registered on the PGL coz I did it the same time I updated the OP with my registering guide, lol. The game keeps telling me that the previous competition has ended, I did just unlock my Battle Box from the Circle of Legends so maybe the game is messing up? I dunno but if for some reason I'm not able to participate then I'm gonna be pissed, spent quite a lot of time practicing on PS! and called a lot of favours to get my team on-cart ;_; I'll try tomorrow and hopefully it works...

I'm having trouble registering in-game for this. I know I definitely registered on the PGL coz I did it the same time I updated the OP with my registering guide, lol. The game keeps telling me that the previous competition has ended, I did just unlock my Battle Box from the Circle of Legends so maybe the game is messing up? I dunno but if for some reason I'm not able to participate then I'm gonna be pissed, spent quite a lot of time practicing on PS! and called a lot of favours to get my team on-cart ;_; I'll try tomorrow and hopefully it works...
I thought you needed to register in game before the competition started and your battle box unlocks automatically, even if you don't register your new one yet, but you know a lot more about these competitions than I do, so I'm not sure what you're problem is.

Anyway, I finished 12-3 with an unfortunate disconnect on the last game, but I was overdue for some bad luck, so I'm not to upset about it especially since this is the best I've started a competition before which was surprising considering how poorly I was doing on the ladder. Some things I noticed that were different from PS are...

-As expected, barely anyone actually had hidden power ground since it is a lot harder to get in game
-A didn't see any magnetic fluxes, also likely because HA's are harder to get in game (especially Ampharos)
-There were a lot of Stunfisks with earthquake, which I'm not sure why, but it did catch me off guard at first.
-Unfortunately, we won't be gitting a special Pikachu because I barely saw any, and rotom, electivire and manectric and several others beat it out for top 3. The only ones I did see were with terrible teams that tried spamming thunder wave. lol. (I didn't take any damage at all in one of those battles)
I can't think of anything else right now, but I had a good day overall.

I ended 11-4, I found that heliolisk was a big pain for me and that soak lanturn was very useful. Pikachu wasn't very good except for its fake out, it usually got one hit by EQ

Last edited:
I ended 12-3 for today but I'm really angry at myself for it... It should have been 15-0, but hey, shit happens.

1st loss: I was 2 vs 2 with my electivire and lanturn. Eartquake + protect was the best option, but I misclicked because I received an important phone call. Lanturn gets obviously killed because of my own earthquake, and one of the opposing pokemon was killed as well, while the other was an ampharos which resisted with red health. It killed my electivire... If I had used protect I'd have obviously won that one with my lanturn, which is faster than ampharos and could have easily killed him with an ice beam.

2nd loss: 4 vs 2 against a Japanese guy who was using some random pokemon, very easy to beat. Both of his pokemon had low health and one of them was burned. I was about to Eartquake them, but I obviously lose the connection.

3rd loss: We were 2 vs 2, one of his pokemon is going to die next turn because of the burn. My pokemon were lanturn and eelektross, he had Ampharos and another pokemon I don't remember. Anyway, I totally forget about the time and it runs out, so my attacks are stupid. One of the mons dies because of the burn, my lanturn dies as well and it's eelektross vs ampharos. I could only hope for a crit. I go with Drain Punch and Dragon Tail, but he uses Cotton Guard and I was almost hopeless. Anyway, I'm able to resist the hit I thought would have killed me and use drain punch, but he remains with the lowest HP possible lol It must have been 1-2 HP, so I die in the same turn with dragon pulse.

Anyway, I found the Wi-Fi tournament a lot easier than Showdown, where I was in the mid 1300 - early 1400 rank. Or maybe it's because I'm not missing Icy Wind very often and I am not "losing the speed tie - flinch because of rock slide - receiving a crit that mattered from the other pokemon", which is what happened in one of my last matches on Showdown. Man, I can't believe how much hax was into it. Icy Wind looked like a 50% precision move and I was losing every speed tie lol
I was afraid of Japanese guys, but they were the weakest ones lol Pikachu might not get in the top 3. I've used it around 5-6 times, and I didn't find many Pikachu against.

I really like my team and so far it's working very well. I changed my electivire's item at the last minute, without even trying it Showdown and it's already saved me once, so that's cool. I'll post my team as soon as the competition ends, hoping you all have fun and get a good rank!

Also, USE PIKACHU!!

Last edited:
I am also 11-4. I suppose that's not bad considering this is my first official competition, and I don't really play competitive much (I'm more of a nuzlocker).

Also realized I registered the wrong pikachu in my box (I had two I bred and trained; one with Knock Off/Brick Break/Toxic/Protect, and the other with Fake Out/Knock Off/Helping Hand/Protect. I put the former in the box rather than the latter. Oysh. Thankfully, when it did come out, it was able to deal some nice damage with Knock Off + Light Ball; pikachu can deal a surprising amount of damage).

I did come across a couple HP Grounds, but not nearly as many as I did practicing on Showdown.

Also, only won one game due to Bright Powder on Emolga. Emolga was my last mon standing, was down to 8 HP, and only had Knock Off. Up against Rotom-W, who's bulky as heck...who kept missing Hydro Pump (and one Will-o-Wisp, which I'm glad missed because that'd be cheap).
Haven't had many other hax in my favor, though. There was one match where I could have won if I got a crit, but alas, it didn't come.

Another loss was because my most powerful mon left a Rotom-W alive with such a sliver of HP I couldn't even see it, and it was able to connect with Hydro Pump and take me down.

Most of my losses were 0-1 losses, with only one 0-2 loss. They were still close matches, with the 0-2 match having my opponent's pokemon with one in the red and the other in the yellow.

Loads of fun, though. Too many Rotom forms, however. -_- Every team I've faced has used a Rotom. I don't know what one person did, but they used Rotom in its natural form, and it was surprisingly bulky. It took two Knock Offs and a Flamethrower to take it down.

Last edited:
Decided to give this tournament a go, currently 22-2
Alot of interesting teams I've seen such a team with toxic pikachu and a surprising amount of mega mantetric who I think is outclassed by ampharos in this format.
First loss came from underestimating helioisk outside the sun. My second loss came at the hands of a foul play electrode, which is funny since I'm using one myself. If anyone has faced me my IGN is Jan D.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
I'm 20-10 which is pretty bad compared to everyone else here, but in my defense, one of those was because a Mexican Noob used a Rocky Helmet, (Seriously, WTF?) another was because my internet acted up, and a third because my power went out. The power never goes out here and I was winning! >:(

Two great moment today were when on Turn One I used Better Pika's (Raichu) Fake Out against my opponent's Stunfisk and ScreamingEft's (Heliolisk) Hyper Voice while my opponent switched out Rotom-H to Ampharos. Turn Two Helping Hand and more screaming from my side while my opponent switches Amphros to Rotom-H. When Stunfisk attacked it used Earth Power... Just kidding, It actually used Rock Slide. After that, my opponent had internet connection issues. I'm just going to assume that was a coincidence.
As for the other great moment, you know that moment when an opponent's Sunny Day helps your ScreamingEft more than their Heliolisk? Light Screen doesn't help against Screaming Lizards winning Speed ties. Expecialy when they're boosted by Choice Specs, Helping Hand, and you own Sun.

I'm a noob, but I have been running a Jolteon with Synchronoise as a pretty good special attacker. I pair him with my Magneton (Special/Physical Wall) and it barely scratches him. A pretty decent finishing attack. Pikachu I have been using for dealing with Heliolisk, as he is typically able to outspeed him and destroy him with Brick Break. Galvantuala 's Sticky Web is working wonders for me! Definitely a great Pokemon to lead with, and I have an electivire with Buldoze to lead alongside Galvantula.

So far I have fought 10 battles, and won 6 of them. Not terrible, but I could definitely use some more practice!

I'm also a noob. This is the first tournament I have joined, totally new to competitive battles.
I went 7-1 on my first day. Most of my opponents have been very easy. A few even tried using Thunder on my Electivire.
My only loss came when Heliolisk flinched on the opening attack, then he and Jolteon both fainted by an earthquake. Couldn't catch up with my Rotom-heat being stuck in encore WoW.

I think I've seen Pikachu in every team. Electivire is the only other ever present I've seen, so I'm hopeful we will get that special version

Yeah I am really hoping we get the special pikachu, that would be awesome! Hopefully it will come with at least 3 perfect IV's, like the other event pokes. I soft reset my game for about and hour trying to get at Adamant Shiny Rayquaza with IV's in Attack Defense, and Speed. Sadly, this is the only event poke I have done this with ;(. does anyone else know if that second Diancie is still available at GameStop? I was gonna get it, but I kept forgetting...

Because the global link is taking forever, is there a way to check my rating besides getting into the game and clicking on "battle", then flipping the wifi switch?
Also, is there any penalty for flipping the wifi switch before it actually matches you with another player?

I know the site and battle spot says it can take a while to update, but I just want to see my rating since I think I'll be satisfied with having a rating over 1600 (as I am tired of seeing/battling rotoms; the one issue with this comp is that they're all over the place). I only entered for fun (and the hopes of getting the special pikachu)...though, I don't want to finish dead last, and I figure that if my rating is over 1600, I won't.

Anyone who is more familiar with how this stuff works who can answer those questions would be most appreciated (this is my first official comp)!

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Because the global link is taking forever, is there a way to check my rating besides getting into the game and clicking on "battle", then flipping the wifi switch?
Also, is there any penalty for flipping the wifi switch before it actually matches you with another player?

I know the site and battle spot says it can take a while to update, but I just want to see my rating since I think I'll be satisfied with having a rating over 1600 (as I am tired of seeing/battling rotoms; the one issue with this comp is that they're all over the place). I only entered for fun (and the hopes of getting the special pikachu)...though, I don't want to finish dead last, and I figure that if my rating is over 1600, I won't.

Anyone who is more familiar with how this stuff works who can answer those questions would be most appreciated (this is my first official comp)!
I don't think they release ratings for competitions on the PGL until a few weeks after the end of the competition. A rating of 1600 is far from being dead last; you would probably have to be around 1300 for that.

I don't think they release ratings for competitions on the PGL until a few weeks after the end of the competition. A rating of 1600 is far from being dead last; you would probably have to be around 1300 for that.
Okie. Thanks! I just hope there's no penalty for flipping the wifi switch to check; they really should show you after you complete a battle rather than searching for a battle.

Okie. Thanks! I just hope there's no penalty for flipping the wifi switch to check; they really should show you after you complete a battle rather than searching for a battle.
There's no penalty until you get matched with someone. Dont worry

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Currently 26-2 I think with a rating of 1809 in the junior division. I am actually kind of surprised by how easy it has been; only about 4 of my opponents seemed to using Protect. My first loss was to a bulky specs Rotom-frost that hit all 5 Blizzards in a row and the second loss was because I ran out of time and used HP ground on an Eelektross instead of M-Ampharos:( Almost every team I've battled has Rotom, Electivire, and kind of surprisingly Pikachu.

Last edited:
I just had my communication interrupted in the middle of a battle, but I stayed connected, so I immediately started another battle and got matched up against the exact same trainer so clearly they had not disconnected either! It has not updated yet so I don't know who is going to get the win for that, but I'll be mad if I don't, especially because I lost the rematch. EDIT: I went 8-6 today (20-9 overall), which I'm pretty happy with because I've never been above 1600 before (I know that's pathetic, but until now I haven't spent much time playing pokemon and I just completed the delta episode three weeks ago and finally got access to the move tutors). The game I lost contact with the other trainer still has not updated, but I can't battle any more today so I don't know what happened.

Last edited:
Ugh I am 15-5 atm with no motivation to continue playing all my loses involved heavy hax including a crit freeze by a rotom-frost. The competition ends tonight right?

Ugh I am 15-5 atm with no motivation to continue playing all my loses involved heavy hax including a crit freeze by a rotom-frost. The competition ends tonight right?
It ends tomorrow. I only battled once today; I'm satisfied with being at 12-4, and I got sick of battling rotoms.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)