A very girly art thread

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Please please please please do give me some comments.
Particularly on what you like and dislike about my art.
I accept very harsh critics too (if they have a point.)
Because I AM struggling on figuring out what would be popular and what not, and my recent art is not being popular.

My most recent art:

2016:
I drew this "Eeveelution Garden" January 2016.
Program used: Clip Studio Paint (known as Manga Studio in USA)

2015: (openCanvas 5.5)

"Shiny Mega Queen" --- (This one was more popular than I would expect.)

My other Gardevoirs:

Other Pokemons:

"Kirlia Cake" ---

"Twinkle Twinkle Little Cleffa" ---

============================
----------------------------------------------
Crafts, anyone?

I'm very new to polymer clay. There are things I like about polymer clay and of course things I do not.
I decided to make some Pokemon.

Anyone give me some advice, please?
I know I'm really bad at this-- it took me ages to figure out how to do it.
* I don't know how to properly joint 2 parts (sticking eyes/ beaks on)
* I can't properly control the shape, because I keep squeezing it when I'm shaping another side of the work.

================================
================================

Oh, by the way, I made some plushies.

View attachment 45426

Last edited:

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
That's a lot of Gardevoir content.

Nevertheless quite a few nice pieces (Shiny Mega Queen is my fave).

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Probably the sassy pose. Mega-Gardevoir just has this air around it that makes it seem like royalty or like it has something that makes it better than the person looking at the image.

Hmm...
I personally really like the Kirlia Cake, and it's probably my favourite. It's unique, it's interesting, and the colours really look nice together. Kirlia also has a lot of character in just that one picture, as her face has a really nice expression that conveys its personality. I find that giving the characters in a picture some personality, even if it's only basic, lets the viewer "connect" with the character and thus have more of an emotional attachment to it.

Shiny Mega Queen's got a cool pose, and also has a neat expression - I really get that "Sassy Queen Bitch" vibe from her, especially those nicely-drawn eyes, and the pattern on the dress was a nice touch. My only real problem with it is that the dark blue and the bright orange contrast in a not-so-great way, at least not to my eyes. That, and the frills on the curtains look a lot like... Well, scribbles. Twinkle Twinkle Little Cleffa, Laurencia A, and Kirlia Cake show that you're really good at picking colours, so I wouldn't say that's an issue overall.

Jellicent Hat is, by contrast to the detail that often goes into your pictures, simple and amusing. It's a refreshing change of pace, and changing things up every now again means you're less likely to stagnate and get bored or become boring.

For becoming more popular, I'd honestly just say maybe branch out with a few different Pokemon in addition to mostly Gardevoir [and Jynx?], as there's certainly nothing wrong with the style or anything. I'd also say you should probably make the watermarks a bit less obvious, as they're distracting. Maybe in a small font, on a bottom corner?

Cresselia~~

Hmm...
I personally really like the Kirlia Cake, and it's probably my favourite. It's unique, it's interesting, and the colours really look nice together. Kirlia also has a lot of character in just that one picture, as her face has a really nice expression that conveys its personality. I find that giving the characters in a picture some personality, even if it's only basic, lets the viewer "connect" with the character and thus have more of an emotional attachment to it.

Shiny Mega Queen's got a cool pose, and also has a neat expression - I really get that "Sassy Queen Bitch" vibe from her, especially those nicely-drawn eyes, and the pattern on the dress was a nice touch. My only real problem with it is that the dark blue and the bright orange contrast in a not-so-great way, at least not to my eyes. That, and the frills on the curtains look a lot like... Well, scribbles. Twinkle Twinkle Little Cleffa, Laurencia A, and Kirlia Cake show that you're really good at picking colours, so I wouldn't say that's an issue overall.

Jellicent Hat is, by contrast to the detail that often goes into your pictures, simple and amusing. It's a refreshing change of pace, and changing things up every now again means you're less likely to stagnate and get bored or become boring.

For becoming more popular, I'd honestly just say maybe branch out with a few different Pokemon in addition to mostly Gardevoir [and Jynx?], as there's certainly nothing wrong with the style or anything. I'd also say you should probably make the watermarks a bit less obvious, as they're distracting. Maybe in a small font, on a bottom corner?
thank you very much for your detailed advice. I'd try drawing other Pokemon.

Cresselia~~

My non-Gardevoir art pieces tend to be unpopular.
But it seems that people like Diancie

I think I might draw more Diancie in the future. (And Mega Altaria)

Cresselia~~

Hi there, you have got some real skills, but in order to make your art popular, you will have to make other pokemons too and not only these, you should try make other pokemons.
I agree.
I've recently started drawing Diancie and Altaria.
I think I'll try Liligant next.

C'mon it's just magnificient

you gotta stop that my kawaii kokoro can't much more I'm gonna explode right now look at me

See ? I exploded, your art is too cute please continue like that <3

Nice pieces. They remind me of that DS game I used to play a lot called "Super Princess Peach", IIRC. They give me a nice feeling :)

Last edited:
Your art is very nice, and I really like it!

Just some advice, the lines look a little unnatural. I think blending them in a bit more would be optimal. But it still looks good regardless!

Hey Cress! Wanted to drop you a line and some critique. :)

I think your strong suit is really color. You seem to have this pastel, really airy and light type of color schemes going on--it reminds me a lot of traditional air brush or fantasy games like Children of Mana. I think that's really a part of your own unique style here.

What I did want to point out is your approach to art. Technique aside, what will make you the most popular is your tone and approach to art. Right now, it seems as if your approach is all about status and popularity. In your main thread question, you ask/state: "I AM struggling on figuring out what would be popular" or when you ask people about your art sometimes you say "Is it too ___?" I've never seen an artist get where they want or feel fulfilled (or become popular) by stressing over what will make them popular or favorable or even sell. The great Masters made art from their heart--they make art to make themselves happy, to express who they are, and some people will hate it--and others will think it's the best thing they have ever seen. Art is much too subjective to worry on what other people think--the only thing that matters is what you think.

With that said here are some techniques you can work on to hone your skills further:

- Shapes. Shapes are one of the foundations to art. Right now, there are no solid shapes in your drawings. For example here is a red line of one of your most recent drawings. Shapes give an object life by giving it mass and making the entire body look fluid and believable. Pokemon are incredibly simple shapes--ovals, circles, cylinders. One of the most noticeable things in your drawings is that these shapes are never completely "done". As in the head, the lines--if they continued through the ear--wouldn't connect. So, the head looks "off" because it's really just a series of lines.

- Complex Shapes. You'll need to get the basic shapes down first to do more complex shapes--such as humans. People try to jump straight into Manga-like styles because it looks so simplistic but even the best and most successful manga artists didn't merely practice the techniques of the simplistic shapes. Instead, they learned real human anatomy, sketched real people or realistic subjects and learned human anatomy. You can't stylize an object successfuly or most accurately without knowing the object you are stylizing. This is why your humans look "off". You seem to be copying lines you've seen others make, such as the curve from the cheek bone to the chin or the curve of the cheek bone to the top of the skull. Why do those curves exist in Manga? ( ...... *Gives time to think about and answer.* ...... ) It's because the cheek bone sticks out of the skull, which is the 'bump' you're seeing. The jaw than is inset deeper into the skull before the chin protrudes out slightly. This is why those curves exist in this simplistic Manga style. When you get more advanced, you'll learn about how making the cheek bump higher, rounder or more sharp will change the apparent "attitude" of the character. This is the difference between characters looking innocent, sexy or rugged/brutish. (You can do that with *any* feature--eyebrows, eyes, chin, length of the neck, etc.)

Some tips: Be fluid. Try drawing on paper. Your wrist should be very loose. Your lines aren't going to be perfect. Don't try to make them perfect. Don't worry about if it's right or wrong--don't worry about what other people do--just relax, take a breath and start to draw what you see in your head. Look at the picture as a whole--it's easier to do this by standing far away from the picture (whether on the computer or on paper). Remember that everything in the image needs to work together to look like a cohesive whole. Start drawing basic shapes and successfully draw some really basic fruit or objects with shapes before moving back onto Pokemon or fantasy forms. You need to know how to draw realistic forms first. Look up things such as basic drawing tips, complex shapes or gesture drawing on YouTube. Video tutorials are incredibly helpful. Also, there seem to be a lot of great artists and helpful people here--and there are many on other forums as well (and deviantArt). However, depending on how far you want to go and what you want to do professionally (if anything) with art, you'll need to ask those people for their input as well. It's pretty intimidating (at least it is for me) but throwing yourself in the deep end and engaging in a community of professional or prior successful artists and getting eaten alive is exactly what will make you move further, faster. Of course, nail those basic shapes first. ;)

And finally--some awesome references I personally love. :) Hope you find these helpful / inspiring!

My own art reference collection
Tutorials I found helpful
Video tutorials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)