A very girly art thread

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Hey Cress! Wanted to drop you a line and some critique. :)

I think your strong suit is really color. You seem to have this pastel, really airy and light type of color schemes going on--it reminds me a lot of traditional air brush or fantasy games like Children of Mana. I think that's really a part of your own unique style here.

What I did want to point out is your approach to art. Technique aside, what will make you the most popular is your tone and approach to art. Right now, it seems as if your approach is all about status and popularity. In your main thread question, you ask/state: "I AM struggling on figuring out what would be popular" or when you ask people about your art sometimes you say "Is it too ___?" I've never seen an artist get where they want or feel fulfilled (or become popular) by stressing over what will make them popular or favorable or even sell. The great Masters made art from their heart--they make art to make themselves happy, to express who they are, and some people will hate it--and others will think it's the best thing they have ever seen. Art is much too subjective to worry on what other people think--the only thing that matters is what you think.

With that said here are some techniques you can work on to hone your skills further:

- Shapes. Shapes are one of the foundations to art. Right now, there are no solid shapes in your drawings. For example here is a red line of one of your most recent drawings. Shapes give an object life by giving it mass and making the entire body look fluid and believable. Pokemon are incredibly simple shapes--ovals, circles, cylinders. One of the most noticeable things in your drawings is that these shapes are never completely "done". As in the head, the lines--if they continued through the ear--wouldn't connect. So, the head looks "off" because it's really just a series of lines.

- Complex Shapes. You'll need to get the basic shapes down first to do more complex shapes--such as humans. People try to jump straight into Manga-like styles because it looks so simplistic but even the best and most successful manga artists didn't merely practice the techniques of the simplistic shapes. Instead, they learned real human anatomy, sketched real people or realistic subjects and learned human anatomy. You can't stylize an object successfuly or most accurately without knowing the object you are stylizing. This is why your humans look "off". You seem to be copying lines you've seen others make, such as the curve from the cheek bone to the chin or the curve of the cheek bone to the top of the skull. Why do those curves exist in Manga? ( ...... *Gives time to think about and answer.* ...... ) It's because the cheek bone sticks out of the skull, which is the 'bump' you're seeing. The jaw than is inset deeper into the skull before the chin protrudes out slightly. This is why those curves exist in this simplistic Manga style. When you get more advanced, you'll learn about how making the cheek bump higher, rounder or more sharp will change the apparent "attitude" of the character. This is the difference between characters looking innocent, sexy or rugged/brutish. (You can do that with *any* feature--eyebrows, eyes, chin, length of the neck, etc.)

Some tips: Be fluid. Try drawing on paper. Your wrist should be very loose. Your lines aren't going to be perfect. Don't try to make them perfect. Don't worry about if it's right or wrong--don't worry about what other people do--just relax, take a breath and start to draw what you see in your head. Look at the picture as a whole--it's easier to do this by standing far away from the picture (whether on the computer or on paper). Remember that everything in the image needs to work together to look like a cohesive whole. Start drawing basic shapes and successfully draw some really basic fruit or objects with shapes before moving back onto Pokemon or fantasy forms. You need to know how to draw realistic forms first. Look up things such as basic drawing tips, complex shapes or gesture drawing on YouTube. Video tutorials are incredibly helpful. Also, there seem to be a lot of great artists and helpful people here--and there are many on other forums as well (and deviantArt). However, depending on how far you want to go and what you want to do professionally (if anything) with art, you'll need to ask those people for their input as well. It's pretty intimidating (at least it is for me) but throwing yourself in the deep end and engaging in a community of professional or prior successful artists and getting eaten alive is exactly what will make you move further, faster. Of course, nail those basic shapes first. ;)

And finally--some awesome references I personally love. :) Hope you find these helpful / inspiring!

My own art reference collection
Tutorials I found helpful
Video tutorials
Wow! Thanks for telling me so much!! No one ever told me any of these. I study biology, so I'm not so educated in art at all.

The shapes part is spot-on. I didn't make any of these. (I actually don't really know how to.) I never knew it matters so much.
People keep telling me that they wonder why I can just draw without making any sketches, and thought I was talented because of that... but now I see the difference and that we are all very misled.

Wow! Thanks for telling me so much!! No one ever told me any of these. I study biology, so I'm not so educated in art at all.

The shapes part is spot-on. I didn't make any of these. (I actually don't really know how to.) I never knew it matters so much.
People keep telling me that they wonder why I can just draw without making any sketches, and thought I was talented because of that... but now I see the difference and that we are all very misled.
You're very welcome! :) I'm no art major myself (unfortunately--I wanted to be a concept artist for a while) but don't worry, the more you practice the more you'll get there. Many professional artists don't have a degree or anything, they've just practiced so much that they're incredibly good :)

Talent is highly subjective too. I have seen people draw without sketching but at the very beginning, as you're learning the basic techniques, I wouldn't recommend it. They do that because they can visualize all of the shapes and anatomy in their head. I'm 26 and I've been drawing for a loooong time and my pitfall is I believe there's a "right" and "wrong" way to draw. Even though I know it's true, I constantly still judge my art based on that. But it really holds me back, which is unfortunate. :( So that's why I always say, don't worry about it being right or wrong--just always try to get it more like how *you* want it to be! :)

Cresselia~~

Art theft... sigh... someone told me that another person stole my art on DA.
And I don't even know how to fill in the copyrights form, plus I don't live in USA, so.
I don't really know what to do.
Does the copyrights form on DA even apply, if either one of the parties are not in USA?

You're very welcome! :) I'm no art major myself (unfortunately--I wanted to be a concept artist for a while) but don't worry, the more you practice the more you'll get there. Many professional artists don't have a degree or anything, they've just practiced so much that they're incredibly good :)

Talent is highly subjective too. I have seen people draw without sketching but at the very beginning, as you're learning the basic techniques, I wouldn't recommend it. They do that because they can visualize all of the shapes and anatomy in their head. I'm 26 and I've been drawing for a loooong time and my pitfall is I believe there's a "right" and "wrong" way to draw. Even though I know it's true, I constantly still judge my art based on that. But it really holds me back, which is unfortunate. :( So that's why I always say, don't worry about it being right or wrong--just always try to get it more like how *you* want it to be! :)
I think I can see why. Thanks.

Art theft... sigh... someone told me that another person stole my art on DA.
And I don't even know how to fill in the copyrights form, plus I don't live in USA, so.
I don't really know what to do.
Does the copyrights form on DA even apply, if either one of the parties are not in USA?
When you upload to dA (or anywhere--as soon as you make a piece) you have some sort of protection. You can read about the specific copyrights on dA here. I am certain there are some internet / international laws that can help you. How difficult it is all depends upon who stole it and where they are using it.

An aggressive approach has always worked for me because art thieves don't want to be embarrassed or in legal trouble. You can contact the person directly and provide a notice that their usage of the work is infringing upon the artists' copyright and notify them that they have 30 days to remove the work in question or you will take legal action. The goal is to rattle them and frighten them--but still be politically correct and rather to-the-point so you don't offend someone who may not know what they did is wrong. (Although most of the time, they know very well.)

If they still don't, you really can take them to court. Depending upon your country and theirs I'm not certain on the exact process but it can be done. Again, there's a 99.9% chance you're never going to HAVE to actually follow through on anything you say. If they still refuse, you can go to a lawyer and just have the lawyer send a legal notice to the party that they now legally have a limited time to comply or they will be charged. Most lawyers do that for free.

If someone is merely reposting the art on deviantArt you can report the piece on dA and dA will take it down. I've never seen them not take it down but if for some reason they don't, you can also contact them with the lawyer and let them know they have copyright infringement on their site.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looking fly! The lineart is really detail and you've done her twirly hair justice. Be careful with adding that glowing aura to most things, since some purple shading inside her hairloops and around stuff in general could make the Jynx and background clash less in tone.

Cresselia~~

Looking fly! The lineart is really detail and you've done her twirly hair justice. Be careful with adding that glowing aura to most things, since some purple shading inside her hairloops and around stuff in general could make the Jynx and background clash less in tone.
Thanks.
It's strange that I only get 8 favorites on DA. This same pic got 102 likes on Twitter.

Cresselia~~

Need advice.
How do you guys feel about these 2 new works?

I decided to do something new:
I tried to use the software Clip Studio Paint (known as Manga Studio in USA)
I like how it can process line art very quickly, and solve broken lines/ protruding lines effectively.
However, I am NOT satisfied with the colouring. No matter how hard I tried, the colouring looks very off to me.
It also lacks the dreamy effect I perceive from my other artwork (done on openCanvas 5.5 )

Kirlia one took 1:30 hours;
Jynx gijinka took 2:00 hours.

====================

Anyway, I think I like this program because I can now do very detailed lines with this.
I drew this "Eeveelution Garden" today.

Last edited:

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Greetings Cresselia,

I've been looking at your artworks for a while now and decided that I should leave you a couple of encouraging words.
Disclaimer: I'm by no means an art critic, let alone an artist myself, so I have no real right to "judge" your art, but at least I can honestly tell you that your works are definitely to my gusto and that I've got lots of respect.

I specifically like your "Shiny Mega Queen" artwork.
It's not only because shiny Gardevoir is a nice Pokémon per se, but I particularly liked the interplay between the black and the dark blue color on the dress.
The floral ornament is also a really nice touch. I mean, there are plenty of shiny Gardevoir artworks, but it's those little extra creator features that immediately caught my eyes.
The captivating look in Gardevoir's eyes is yet another nice detail.

Well, that's how I judge it anyway, as the IV checker would say.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of your works in a foreseeable future.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

articuno neopiko marker 13139178_10153601932906475_144813581161617026_n.jpg gardevoir bride rose 12417521_10153535049476475_4124013718654278357_n.png

Trying out some alcoholic markers.
I bought some Neopiko markers which are way cheaper than Copic markers, but still made in Japan plus they have brush tips.

I'm new to this, but I think it's not as difficult as I imagined. It seemed quite straight forward to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)