Featured Rater #8 - Albacore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banner by Honus

Welcome to the Featured Rater project! This is a series of interviews where we ask official Team Raters, new and old, several questions about the RMT forum and their experiences within it. We hope that this offers both entertainment and an insight into their thought processes, which aspiring raters can look to incorporate into their own rates. This project is hosted by Analytic, IronBullet, and myself. Our eighth interviewee is Albacore, one of RMT's newer raters that has shown an outstanding amount of dedication on both the forums and PS!
Tell us a little bit about your life outside Smogon.

I'm 19 years old, and I'm currently studing for a degree in Maths & Computing at the Joseph Fourier university in France. My family lives on the other side of the country, so I pretty much live on campus and only go back during the holdays. I was actually born in England (I have a British father and a French mother), and even though I have lived in France ever since I was 6 years old, I don't really consider myself to be French, in fact, I techincally don't even have the French nationalty. I'm just way more comfortable speaking English than French, which is why you probablly won't ever see me speak french or hang out in the French room on PS!

What is your main tier? Do you rate teams from any other tiers?

My main and only tier is and always has been OU, I kinda just decided on it when I joined Smogon and never played any other tier. I actually tried to build UU and RU teams before, but completely failed since a lot of stuff I automatically go for in teams just weren't there anymore. I distincly remember looking for an offensive fairy in XY UU before realising that such a thing does not exist. I eventually settled for Banded Granbull which, believe it or not, was not very good. So yeah, I won't be rating teams from lower tiers any time soon, the time and effort to completely assimilate a whole new tier just isn't worth it. Heck, I had a hard time transitioning from XY to ORAS, and the difference there is just of a dozen Pokemon!

When did you start rating and why?

I started rating a bit less than a year ago, in November 2014. Back then, I was very active in the PS! OU room and spent al ot of time rating teams. My thought process was that, since I was already rating a ton of teams without any reward, I could just rate teams in the RMT forum instead and get badged for it!

Except that didn't happen at first, after over 3 months of rating around one team per couple of days without any results, and badly botching one of my rates, I got fustrated and stopped rating teams. However, I decided to go back to rating in June of this year, since I had a lot of free time then. I put even more detail and effort into my rates, rated even more teams (I rated 30 teams in June which, looking back, was pretty ridiculous), and eventually got the badge. Nowadays, I would never be able to rate that many teams, and I'm not sure how I even managed in the first place.

Are there any raters who you looked up to when you started rating?

Not really? I kinda did my own thing for the most part. Obviously, I respected both official and unoffical raters like Celticpride, Team Pokepals, Alkov and Mur, but I actually saw them more as competition than anything. They inspired me in the sense that I felt like I had to do better than them, which to me usually meant longer rates (which aren't necessary better, but it's what I eventually became known for). Team rating was a pretty competitive environment back then, especially since I was going for the badge at the same time as 5-6 other people. Obviously, we all get along very well now, one of the reasons I much prefer rating teams in the RMT room than on the forums is that, instead of competing with each other to see who get to rate a team first, we actually work together a lot more, building off each other's suggestions.

What do you most enjoy about rating?

I really enjoy the challenge of rating teams. It's basically a puzzle : you have 6 slots that are already filled with pieces, a ton of other pieces you can use, and you have to cover the most ground possible while changing as few pieces as you can. You also have to take into account stuff like hazard weakness, passiveness, whether a Pokemon can consistently wall another, as well as the general state of the metagame (for instance, 5 months ago, if I were to rate a Weavile-weak team I would just have ignored said weakness. You really can't do that now). Sometimes, there's a perfect solution, and it feels really satisfying when you figure it out. But most of the time, you have to make compromises, and that's up to your better judgement. It's just a very good mental excercise in general.

Do you follow a process with your rates?

What I usually do is this : look at every Pokemon individually, check what its common checks and counters are, and see if those checks and counters are also checked or countered by another member of the team. This enables you to identify the team's weaknesses. If I find that an opposing Pokemon checks more members of the team than it is checked by (for example, a team with Latias, Jirachi and Pursuit Weavile whose only answer to Bisharp is Keldeo), that's also a weakness, though this really depends on whether the Pokemon who checks the opposing threat has reliable recovery, and how easily it switches in on the team as a whole. You also need to check for hazard weakness but that's pretty much a given.

Figuring out what to replace is the hard part. It's always much better to change movesets if you can, but it's rarely going to fix a weakness significantly. Once I identify Pokemon that deals with the list of threats I've created, (sometimes it's impossible to have one that covers all threats, for example if the team is weak to both Manaphy and XZard you really need 2 seperate mons for that), I determine which of these Pokemon is the easiest to fit on the team without either opening up another weakness, or changing the dynamic of the team. The least passive option is always preffered by default, as long as it is reliable enough to work. Some changes are pretty obvious, one I tend to do a lot is suggest Hippowdon over Landorus-T on a Bisharp-weak team, for example, or Latios>Starmie if the team is weak to Electric-types. But there are a lot of situations where have to think outside the box, or just accept that you're going to be weak to something, and make sure that something isn't more common than what you're covering in the first place.

As a current respected team rater, do you have any words of advice for aspiring raters out there?

When you're rating a team, don't try to counter everything; you're not going to succeed. You just need to make sure no Pokemon on the opposing team can easily outlast its checks.
When you suggest to replace a Pokemon, you have to double check that you're not making the team weak to something else in return. If a Pokemon that threatens the team isn't common, don't worry about it too much, it's preferable to be weak to 10 1% usage Pokemon than to be weak to one 15% usage Pokemon.

Always take the considerations of the person whose team you're rating. If they say that a Pokemon isn't working that well for them but that they couldn't think of anything better in that slot, you should sooner try to replace it than any other Pokemon on the team. If they say they specifically built a team around a Raikou+Mega Manectric core, instead of saying that the core is bad and that those 2 Pokemon are redundant, just run with it and suggest Toxic on Manectric or something.

And most importantly, don't give up on rating teams. RMT staff are constantly going through RMTs looking for suitable raters, but the process of badging team raters takes quite a long time, so if you feel like you're being ignored, you're probably already being considered for the badge or your rates aren't quite good enough yet. Don't do what I did and just ignore other raters and rating activites, because they are very useful if you want to improve the quality of your rates.

As an Article Workshop mod, do you think there's a scope for writing regular rmt articles? if so, what aspects of RMT would be cool to write about in your opinion? Are there any previous RMT related articles that you would like to showcase here?

We rarely ever suggestions for RMT-related articles, which is a shame since there's definitely an audience for them. The last RMT releated article we got was this indroduction to RMTs as a whole, while the last actual RMT that was covered dates from all the way back in May, so yeah, we could defenitely have more of those. We get so many articles about Pokemon, playstyles, typings, metagame trends, etc... that actual, concrete examples of teams and battles as they are in practice often get underrepresented, plus it would attract more experienced players which we sometimes struggle with, since most articles tend to explain stuff they already know. For example, IronBullet's article is a great example of how you can use a specific team to represent the metagame as a whole; explaining what recent trends make this team fuction, how to use certain Pokemon effectively, and how recent bans and Pokemon releases affect the metagame (in this case, the release of Sheer Force Feraligatr) through a single team. RMT articles are definitely very welcome, the reason we don't release much is because people just don't suggest them.

As a global moderator who operates a collective of rooms, how do you feel about the current development of the RMT room? Do you have any ideas for potential activities or events that could be run to help improve the room?

I feel like there aren't quite enough people willing to rate teams in the RMT room. This doesn't really apply to OU where there are pretty much raters active at all times, but more so for other tiers where I've more often seen teams go completely unnoticed than not. One way to kinda fix this would be for activity in the RMT room to actually count towards the TR badge, though I really don't know how this could be counted or how much a rate in the RMT room would be worth compared to one on the forums.

As for activities, we already have workshops and that's probably enough. I don't really like that fact that other people can't have their teams rated during the workshop since that means they have to wait, and that then the raters get flooded with teams near the end of the workshop. In any case, I feel like we have enough activities already.

What are your thoughts on the RMT forum? If you could change one thing about it, what would it be?

Honestly, I barely spend any time in the RMT forum since the vast majority of my rates take place within the RMT room. However, I would like there to be more communication bewteen RMT staff and aspiring team raters. I know firsthand that it can be very easy for team raters to get discouraged, and though there are activites and practice rates, a lot of people aren't aware of these, or aren't willing to spend even more time rating teams than they need to. PMing more unofficial raters to keep them informed of these activities, or about the quality of their rates in general, would be a pretty good way to encourage raters to improve and stay active.

Do you have an RMT or a team you could share with us?

Haven't posted an RMT in ages, and recently it's been harder and harder for me to find the time to ladder. But when I have laddered recently, it's been with this team. I absolutely love Sub CM Raikou, it consistently blows apart the lower ladder, and though I can't guarantee that it does as well against better players, I'd imagine the surprise value helps there too.

Lastly, can you give us an example of a rate that exemplifies your particular style?

Yup

Like most of my rates, this one is ridiculously long, in-depth and detailed; and also features multiple viable options for the team. Let it be known that I do not rate teams lightly.

------------

Thanks Albacore for an awesome interview! Feel free to leave any questions you have for him below. See you all next time :toast:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Gonna ask these questions since Snowy forgot.

How do you feel about having washed up Hollywood actor Adam Sandler as a moderater of the RMT forum? Does his old age and bad taste in music disgust you?

Do you think Yagure should change his name to Yagure or Yogurt?

Do you think Sonired will overpower us one day?

How do you feel knowing Sonired has more badges than you, so many that they're forced to appear invisible due to them being reduced to an incredibly small size?

Do you like tuna?

On school essays, are you that kid that likes writing so much he blows past the upper page limit? Because you seem to just love writing ungodly amounts when rating.

Any more plans to expand your already impressive badgeset?

Which is a better environment for a new player to learn OU and get immersed in the wonderful and accepting community, the OU subforum or the PS OU room?

Do you ever plan to play in tournaments?

When you were a ladybug, where did you think you would end up then compared to where you are now in terms of involvement in different areas of the site?

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi Albacore!!
zomg hi!!!!!
Well you're still French to the Comp Tutoring people as deemed by me so congratulations for being interviewed and being MajesticM 's partner in crime to represent the French portion of our people!
If being french is a crime, Smogon is the Mafia.
Nice to see you getting noticed by this my friend, how is stuff going for you?
Pretty well, how about you?
Gonna ask these questions since Snowy forgot.

How do you feel about having washed up Hollywood actor Adam Sandler as a moderater of the RMT forum? Does his old age and bad taste in music disgust you?

Do you think Yagure should change his name to Yagure or Yogurt?

Do you think Sonired will overpower us one day?

How do you feel knowing Sonired has more badges than you, so many that they're forced to appear invisible due to them being reduced to an incredibly small size?

Do you like tuna?
yes, no, yes, completely terrified to the point where I stay awake at night, contemplating our doomed civilisation, so full of promise and hope and yet now reduced to a miserable sheel of its former self, wondering when it all went wrong, how we could have possibly betrayed our ancestors, their promise of a world of limitless possibilities, freedom, wealth, a world of technical mastery and exemplary morals, a world which our selfishness and corruption has pushed out of our reach, and yes.
On school essays, are you that kid that likes writing so much he blows past the upper page limit? Because you seem to just love writing ungodly amounts when rating.
Absolutely, yeah. Most of my essays were around 7-8 A4 pieces of paper long. The actual reason I'm so tldry a lot of the time is because I'm terrified of being misunderstood, misinterpreted, or taken out of context, to the point where I always feel the need to expand my ideas and explain my reasoning. Obviously this often makes things more confusing than anything since most people don't want to swim through an ocean of words, but at least I can never be blamed for being vague.
Any more plans to expand your already impressive badgeset?
My ultimate goal on Smogon is to leave with an aluminized scroller so we'll see how that goes!
Which is a better environment for a new player to learn OU and get immersed in the wonderful and accepting community, the OU subforum or the PS OU room?
Well, the OU subforum is useful to lurk in if you want to know about the metagame in general, lurking in the OU room can be okay but you often end up with innacurate information from biased people, whereas the forum is more heavily moderated and therefore more objective. But honestly? The CT room is probably the most welcoming place for newer players. The OU subforum and OU room are more for people who already know the metagame decently well and want to discuss it, and don't really want to have to explain to people why Hitmontop isn't viable or whatever. As a result, they have the tendency to look down on or be dismissive of newer players. The CT room on the other hand is much more accepting of people who lack metagame knowledge, probably due to higher standard for staff resulting in the being more approachable and helpful. If you want to actually participate as opposed to lurk then the CT room is probably the best place to start, once you've grasped the metagame then you can move on the the OU room and posting in the OU subforum and whatnot.
Do you ever plan to play in tournaments?
Not really, that just seems too time-consuming and stressful, espeically since I'm really busy both on Smogon and irl. Timezones are never in my favor as well and it's contantly a pain to have to organize. Also I'm actually not a good battler lol, most of my Pokemon-related skills involve analyzing the metagame and teambuilding, I'm consistently terrible at predicting my opponents really.
When you were a ladybug, where did you think you would end up then compared to where you are now in terms of involvement in different areas of the site?
Well actually, I never was Ladybug since I went straight from unbadged to CC for reasons I still don't understand. But before I was badged, I wasn't really aiming for any kind of recognition, I kinda just contributed becuase I enjoyed it. As soon as I got CC I suddenly wanted ALL THE BADGES FROM EVERY PLACE ON SMOGON and so decided to start contributing everywhere I possibly could (except laddering for suspects, fuck that), but I've definitely calmed down by now lol.

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why are you an official GP nightmare? I've had no trouble checking your analyses and articles.

Mur

If you're not first you're last
I got mentioned as a respected rater I guess I'm important now:pimp:

What's it like being RO of the ou room and how many brain cells have you lost from it during suspects?

What's your opinion on stag?

Can you write my papers for me ;]

what's the number 1 thing you're hoping for in the next pokemon game(s)?

are you a fan of mega evolutions?

what forum do you plan on taking over next?

what room do you plan on taking over next? c;

has Eyan been a bad influence on you with his terrible sleep scheduele yet?

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why are you an official GP nightmare? I've had no trouble checking your analyses and articles.
[/quote]
Well, I often make really bad typos and grammaticla errors, and that coupled with the fact that my artciles and analyses tend to be ridiculously long makes me think that GP checking whatever I do must be pretty hard work.
What's it like being RO of the ou room and how many brain cells have you lost from it during suspects?
I actually had a hard time getting used to being RO initially, in fact for the first week or so I barely went in the room just becuase it felt wierd. Eventually I decided to just keep acting like I always had and that seemed to work pretty well. Taking care of the OU room is usually pretty fun but it can be really tiring with all the crazy stuff you end up reading, especially during suspects (though the lobby is way worse in both those regards, and spending a lot of time there really build up your tolerance for stupidity)
What's your opinion on stag?
I really hate Shadow Tag, anything which removes player autonomy, subvers one of the most important mechanics in the game and turns battles into a series of dumb 50/50s is not good for any metagame at all. Being able to keep one of you Pokemon alive to handle something on the opposing team is completely integral to how Pokemon is played, and the ability to just remove that aspect is just ugh.
Can you write my papers for me ;]
only if they are Pokemon-related
what's the number 1 thing you're hoping for in the next pokemon game(s)?
BATTLE FACTORY
are you a fan of mega evolutions?
I have mixed feeling on them, on the one hand there's a good way of being able to use something ridiculously powerful, but thanks to "1 par team" rule prevents a lot of them from being broken. But it also undoubtedly causes a huge amount of power creep, and teambuilding is generally harder with them around than without (you have to account for all megas but you can only use one!) which i'm less of big fan of.
what forum do you plan on taking over next?
Eh, I'm actually quite contenct with being an unfathomably influential and important force on this site. I don't feel the need to assert my total and utter dominance over Smogon even more
what room do you plan on taking over next? c;
My only plans on PS is being able to understand how the fuck I'm supposed to moderate THP whenever I'm summoned there
has Eyan been a bad influence on you with his terrible sleep scheduele yet?
Quite the contrary, Eyan has inspired me to continue the fight against the endless agony we humans call "sleeping".

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Express your feelings on the viability thread
Do you agree with my avatar and ct?
Name ur favorite and least favorite part about modding, both ps and smogon

Also holy crap I never knew you lived in france. I always thought you were american

Albacore

Express your feelings on the viability thread
tbh I much preffered it when alexwolf ran it b/c there was just more transparency between the viability council and the regular users on the thread, every move was justified and it felt like posting actually mattered back them. Nowadays some stuff gets a ridiculous amount of support to move and never does (*cough*Klefki*cough*), while some other stuff just moves randomly for seemingly no reason and no discussion, heck Roserade was ranked without anyone even mentioning it lol, that really confused me.
Also people tend to focus way too much on replying to bad posts that are goin to be deleted as opposed to actually adressing good posts but that's never gonna change.
Do you agree with my avatar and ct?
nah, I don't actually mind stall as long as there's no trapping involved.
Name ur favorite and least favorite part about modding, both ps and smogon
Being able to actually do something about spammers/trolls/shitposters is really nice. Having actual responsibilities ie having to reply to PMs, discuss policy and just generally stay active is obviously really tiring, especially when you're forced to confront situations you don't know how to handle, but hey, that's what you're supposed to as a mod in the first place.
Also holy crap I never knew you lived in france. I always thought you were american
Well, I technically have just as much american as french blood in my veins : my grandmother from my (french) mother's side is actually american. So I'm bascially 25% french, 25% american and 50% british, heck I probably identify more as american than as french just because the media I consume is almost exclusively british and american.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)