[Online Competition] Festive Feud

Brick Break gets rid of my opponent's screens and will OHKO Tyranitar and 2HKO max HP Heatran and Regigigas if they don't have a Sitrus Berry. If Guts is activated, it can possibly OHKO max HP Heatran
Heatran is actually considered brown so you don't have to worry about it. There are a lot of debatable colours listed in the pokedex. I've honestly tried to use gimmicks, but I have almost no experience with triples so I can't get anything gimmicky to work well, or my ideas turn out to be different colours than what I thought so I'm just using a standard trick room M-Camerupt team..

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
Heatran is actually considered brown so you don't have to worry about it. There are a lot of debatable colours listed in the pokedex. I've honestly tried to use gimmicks, but I have almost no experience with triples so I can't get anything gimmicky to work well, or my ideas turn out to be different colours than what I thought so I'm just using a standard trick room M-Camerupt team.
I'm using the most standard team ever cuz I lack that triples knowledge as well

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Something I haven't seen a lot on the ladder that I expect to be more common in the tournament is Safety Goggles. Even with Talonflame everywhere, Amoonguss can still be a huge pain (especially against and on Trick Room teams!), and Safety Goggles will save you from Spore! It wont save you from Smeargle, but it does let you get away with putting Lum / Chesto Berry on something else, and it doesn't get used up either! I expet Safety Goggles to be especially common on Trick Room teams.

I'll prolly be going with a trick room team for this, as well. Course, I'm trying a new team build currently, and I also have a Rain team which I've been having some fun with. Started breeding for the TR team, though.
I refuse to go standard/cookie-cutter even with my lack of triples knowledge and experience. >.>

I've been wondering (especially trying some of these "0 IV" strategies, myself)...how do you breed for 0 IVs? If someone is planning on using a 0 Speed IV Porygon2 (or Throh), or a 0 Attack IV Whimsicott...how do you breed for that without nerfing the other stats as well?
Sounds to me like legit breeding for a stat under 5 IVs in a stat would take longer than trying to breed for 6 perfect IVs (along with soft-resetting for the perfect competitive legendary, like Regigigas...which is why I'm probably not going to use it in the actual competition).

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
I'll prolly be going with a trick room team for this, as well. Course, I'm trying a new team build currently, and I also have a Rain team which I've been having some fun with. Started breeding for the TR team, though.
I refuse to go standard/cookie-cutter even with my lack of triples knowledge and experience. >.>

I've been wondering (especially trying some of these "0 IV" strategies, myself)...how do you breed for 0 IVs? If someone is planning on using a 0 Speed IV Porygon2 (or Throh), or a 0 Attack IV Whimsicott...how do you breed for that without nerfing the other stats as well?
Sounds to me like legit breeding for a stat under 5 IVs in a stat would take longer than trying to breed for 6 perfect IVs (along with soft-resetting for the perfect competitive legendary, like Regigigas...which is why I'm probably not going to use it in the actual competition).
People rng'd perfect TR Dittos in Black or White that have 0 in speed ivs and perfect everywhere else. Without one of these you can get 0 speed ivs from pokemon off wondertrade or gts or catching Dittos until you get one with 0 speed. If I remember correctly there is a Ditto giveaway in Mattapod's trade thread that has some.

REGIGIGAS GIVEAWAY

I happen to have a Careful Regigigas with IVs of 31/14/31/4/26/31. I will be doing a random giveaway for this mon. PM me if you would like to enter the giveaway.​

Last edited:
Does anybody have team suggestions yet? I always feel helpless when a new tourney comes up. Furthermore, I have no idea about Triples. Never really liked this battle style.
But I want that Delibird. Maybe I only do three battles. But I wouldn't like to lose all of them... xD

People rng'd perfect TR Dittos in Black or White that have 0 in speed ivs and perfect everywhere else. Without one of these you can get 0 speed ivs from pokemon off wondertrade or gts or catching Dittos until you get one with 0 speed. If I remember correctly there is a Ditto giveaway in Mattapod's trade thread that has some.
Thank you! I was starting to think it was impossible as I was attempting to breed it. @.@

So does anyone have a recommended team that I could use? I don't care about ratings or anything, I'm only doing it for the Delibird; I just don't want to suck, lol.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So does anyone have a recommended team that I could use? I don't care about ratings or anything, I'm only doing it for the Delibird; I just don't want to suck, lol.
I asked this question elsewhere but the responses seem to be non-existent. >_<
Well I'm not really sure what you expected, this is a totally unexplored metagame where the only place to practice is on the sim with a few regulars that you run into repeatedly. Asking for a sample team is a pretty large request! All I would do is see which of the eligible Pokemon are usable in VGC / Smogon Doubles and just slap them together on your team, practice a bit to see what works / what doesn't and maybe take some ideas from what you run into (if you run into anything) on PS.

You could easily slap something together like Charizard Y, Chlorosaur, Smeargle, Talonflame, Krookodile, Latias or something. I really don't know because I'm not a triples player, I'm just picking out stuff from the OP that look like they might work, lol.

On a related note: Does anyone have a Gen 6 competitive Regigigas?

I've heard it has quite alot of potential for the Festive competition. :P
Yeah last I heard Theorymon was resetting for a careful one and was planning on giving it away to any prospective players (myself included!) so hopefully he comes across something good soon.

If you haven't already, swing by our room on Pokemon Showdown, there's always a few of us that wanna talk about this comp so I'm sure you can get some help there (better than what you'll get than by cross-posting here on the forums).

Well I'm not really sure what you expected, this is a totally unexplored metagame where the only place to practice is on the sim with a few regulars that you run into repeatedly. Asking for a sample team is a pretty large request! All I would do is see which of the eligible Pokemon are usable in VGC / Smogon Doubles and just slap them together on your team, practice a bit to see what works / what doesn't and maybe take some ideas from what you run into (if you run into anything) on PS.

You could easily slap something together like Charizard Y, Chlorosaur, Smeargle, Talonflame, Krookodile, Latias or something. I really don't know because I'm not a triples player, I'm just picking out stuff from the OP that look like they might work, lol.

Yeah last I heard Theorymon was resetting for a careful one and was planning on giving it away to any prospective players (myself included!) so hopefully he comes across something good soon.

If you haven't already, swing by our room on Pokemon Showdown, there's always a few of us that wanna talk about this comp so I'm sure you can get some help there (better than what you'll get than by cross-posting here on the forums).
Quoting my post a few posts back. Read the instructions if you want a Careful Regi.

REGIGIGAS GIVEAWAY

I happen to have a Careful Regigigas with 31 IVs in HP, Defense, and Speed. I'll check the other ones when I have time. I will be doing a random giveaway for this mon. PM me if you would like to enter the giveaway.​

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Quoting my post a few posts back. Read the instructions if you want a Careful Regi.
What are the exact IVs on it? Since it's careful you def want good IVs in SpD but you haven't listed that as perfect :/

also, if it's really good then maybe get a few cloned instead of giving just one away?

What are the exact IVs on it? Since it's careful you def want good IVs in SpD but you haven't listed that as perfect :/

also, if it's really good then maybe get a few cloned instead of giving just one away?
I edited my post with the IVs. I thought we were against cloning here, whoops. I'll look into it.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I edited my post with the IVs. I thought we were against cloning here, whoops. I'll look into it.
Cloning is ok since you aren't actually changing anything. It's the other stuff that is bad.. Basically, we just run off the Wifi forum's rules when it comes to this stuff.

Hmmmmm.. 26 SpD isn't horrible, but 14 attack is kinda cruddy. If Tmon pulls through with the goods then I'll have to go for his.

Do we have sample teams, though? I'd like to use a sample team for this tournament, because it seems like all the Pokemon allowed are really bad, except for Talonflame, and he's really frail. All the usual Triples stuff are gone.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Do we have sample teams, though? I'd like to use a sample team for this tournament, because it seems like all the Pokemon allowed are really bad, except for Talonflame, and he's really frail. All the usual Triples stuff are gone.
from above:
Well I'm not really sure what you expected, this is a totally unexplored metagame where the only place to practice is on the sim with a few regulars that you run into repeatedly. Asking for a sample team is a pretty large request!
I don't think anyone has finalised their own team, let alone one to give to others. Like I suggested, try and see if any of the Pokemon usable in VGC / Smogon Doubles is around and build around them. Sure, a lot of the 'standard' options are banned, but their roles can be performed by the stuff that's allowed. Honestly, just look at some doubles teams and see if you can swap Pokemon out for stuff that's eligible here.

Thank you! I was starting to think it was impossible as I was attempting to breed it. @.@
Not impossible, just a absolute headache. Very similar to 6 IV breeding, you just have to hope it generates the desired IV, in this case, a zero, and hope it happens to be in speed which I read was like a 1/132 chance or something which is extremely tedious to breed for from scratch which is why most go for the rng'd Dittos etc, .

But anyway, I'm doubt I'll be playing all 30 games in this tour. I like the feel of my current team so far, but it's very weak to the few steel types allowed, and I don't feel like breeding anything else in addition to what I'm breeding now. So I guess I'll play it by feel once the tour begins.

Not impossible, just a absolute headache. Very similar to 6 IV breeding, you just have to hope it generates the desired IV, in this case, a zero, and hope it happens to be in speed which I read was like a 1/132 chance or something which is extremely tedious to breed for from scratch which is why most go for the rng'd Dittos etc, .

But anyway, I'm doubt I'll be playing all 30 games in this tour. I like the feel of my current team so far, but it's very weak to the few steel types allowed, and I don't feel like breeding anything else in addition to what I'm breeding now. So I guess I'll play it by feel once the tour begins.
Yea...I'm finding it to be even more of a headache than getting a 6 IV pokemon.

I prolly won't be playing all 30 games (I never do XD )...I'll probably just play the required 3 games for the reward, then stop unless I find it more fun than my test battles have gone (which is doubtful).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay

I prolly won't be playing all 30 games (I never do XD )...I'll probably just play the required 3 games for the reward, then stop unless I find it more fun than my test battles have gone (which is doubtful).
Please don't bother continuously breeding and hoping for the 0 speed IV, check out my helpful link thread (stickied) where you can find a Ditto giveaway. You can get Hidden Power spreads and Trick Room Ditto which will make breeding a million times easier...

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
My attempt at a quick viability rankings for those who want to throw a quick team together:

S:
mega charizard-y, mega gardevoir
A+:
talonflame, mega scizor
A:
rotom, tyranitar, scrafty, regular scizor
A-:
amoonguss, mega gallade, porygon2, mega charizard-x
B+:
krookodile, mega camerupt, braviary, whimsicott, politoed, ludicolo
B:
meowstic, cradily, jellicent, volcorona, togekiss, tyrantrum, regular gallade
B-:
scolipede, bisharp, venusaur, tornadus, regigigas, regular gardevoir, reuniclus
C+:
porygon-z, sceptile, absol, breloom, serperior, mega abomasnow, smeargle
C:
virizion, mega blaziken, regular blaziken, regular abomasnow
C-:
latias, roserade, bronzong, florges
D:
chesnaught, pachirisu, medicham, regular charizard, froslass, mega absol, regular absol, regular camerupt

Latias only C- ? I use it as a Dual Screener and it's really interesting. High Base speed / immune to Eartquake. Inconvenients are weaknesses against Knock Off / Hyper Voice but it outspeeds the majority of the users of these moves so it can set up a screen before taking the hit. It also has access to Icy Wind to slow down foes. I think it must be at least B.

[EDIT] : I'm looking for a good EV spread for Regigigas. I'm using it with Rock Slide / Brick Break / Toxic / Wide Guard.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Can't Say, I'm starting to get a little better at building a team for this thing. I believe, to anyone reading this, if you haven't already tried to, choose a Pokemon that sets up a weather, look up his VGC analysis, and build a team around that. Add your own personal variation, if you can, too!

Yeah it sucks, but in addition to what was suggested, I found a Rhyhorn from my X/Y days that came out with a zero speed IV that I didn't release(I didn't even know they were valuable back then, so I usually just nuked them as soon as the 0 IV was revealed). It's the closest thing to a ditto since it can breed into so many different egg groups. It's a female though, so let me know if you want me to breed you a male one.

Edit: Just saw the 2 pokes you wanted them for. A 0 speed Mienfoo would probably be better for 0 IV breeding overall, but it probably wouldn't help much for Porygon or Throh unfortunately.

And I see myself playing maybe 20 max, but I'll more than likely stop sooner if a certain Pokemon starts popping up on every team. I may have to just bite the bullet and breed another starter Poke if I want to do anything in this competition (which I try to avoid due to the low female rate). I guess need it for my battlespot team anyway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)