[Online Competition] Festive Feud

I've made a few mistakes and have gone 4-3 today, and I saw two pledge teams which were surprisingly good. It's nice to see a competition with several viable strategies. But now, just like the last competition I am unable to continue because "An error has occurred on the Pokemon Global Link server. Please try again" (trying again doesn't help). It is kind of ridiculous that this is happening for the 2nd competition in a row.
It's working fine for me right now.

One thing I've noticed though: crap loads of trick room. Half of my losses are against it. I seriously had no idea I'd see it this much.

It's working fine for me right now.

One thing I've noticed though: crap loads of trick room. Half of my losses are against it. I seriously had no idea I'd see it this much.
Mine's still not working. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I'm clearly connected to the internet because I can still free battle, but I can't do anything PGL related. I can still login to PGL on my computer so I don't know what's wrong. Anyone have any suggestions?
E: In the meantime, I'll share my team. I can't figure out how to paste an image into an edit so this will have to do.
Meowstic @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Misty Terrain
- Quick Guard
- Sunny Day
- Helping Hand

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Giga Drain
- After You
- Quiver Dance

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Guard

Reuniclus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Snatch
- Helping Hand
- Light Screen

I used Mega Camerupt because I had it in the Scrappy Skirmish, but barely used it because of its low speed and I only face to TR teams, but I liked Camerupt so I decided to centre my team around for the festive feud. Eruption deals devastating damage, especially with helping hand and/or sun and sheer force heat wave is obviously another powerful spread move for after it gets hit. Protect is mandatory to safely set up trick room and Earth Power is something to hit fire resists with or get passed wide guard.

Reuniclus is a pretty obvious TR setter but I found its movepool was the best of allowed trick room setters for my team. Colbur berry was to live a knock off/crunch. Helping hand was to power up Eruption or anything else. Snatch was mainly to steal an obvious wide guard, but it could also steal other stuff that looked threatening. Light Screen allowed Camerupt to live a water attack in the sun and helped cushion any other special attacks because there were a lot.

Meowstic is another support mon. I used misty terrain over safeguard because it cannot be snatched. Even though it messed up Amoonguss' spore, Smeargle is often paired with a snatch user expecting a safeguard so misty terrain saved me a few times. Quick guard allowed Camerupt to use eruption before taking damage and ensured reuniclus could get trick room up. Sunny day powered up Eruption even further, and stopped rain. Helping hand was for even more power. Meowstic really could have used more moves because it was originally intended for screens support, but it needed so many other moves that it no longer had room from them.

Talonflame was something that could function well with or without trick room and it appreciated sun support. It's set is pretty self explanatory, but I couldn't think of a better item than sharp beak.

Amoonguss was redirection so that Camerupt could continue firing eruption. It's another standard set.

I know a lot of people don't like hearing standard set so don't worry, because I did use Lilligant. Lilligant was mainly a backup for if trick room failed to get set up or after it expired. With chlorophyll it could outspeed everything in the sun and use after you to allow Camerupt to get at least one Eruption off. It also has quiver dance which made it surprisingly quick, powerful and slightly more specially bulky. It's too bad it doesn't get a single usable damaging move besides grass type moves (and I was too lazy to get hidden power on something gimmicky). It could somewhat make up for its terrible bulk with giga drain, but it was still ohko'd a lot. I think it did pull its wait for the most part and it was fun to use.

Looking back, three support mons was overkill, because once Camerupt was gone it was really difficult to generate offense, but I still had a fun introduction to triples.

I would post videos, but I'm "unable to connect to the server" to upload them, but strangely I can still remove them from public view.

Last edited:
Mine's still not working. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. I'm clearly connected to the internet because I can still free battle, but I can't do anything PGL related. I can still login to PGL on my computer so I don't know what's wrong. Anyone have any suggestions?
I assume it's a local thing. My internet was haywire earlier this morning, but luckily it got through the comp without many issues.

Hopefully it's Nintendo thing and they'll let you make up your games.

You didn't DC a bunch of times did you? You get DQed for doing that
Wow, really? I DC'ed a few times because I was PO'ed at losing to another TR team. That was me being a bad sport, it'll admit, but to my defense, it was before I went on my hot streak. I hope the limit is like 5 or something because I know I did it at least twice (lol). I hope they don't remove my ranking because of it...

And I believe I've completed all my games unless there's more. If there is, I'll probably quit while I'm ahead since I won't have time to play tomorrow anyway, but I'm feeling great about how I preformed either way.

Real quick: Best moveset for Togekiss in Festive Feud?

Currently have Follow Me, Air Slash, Tail Wind and Roost. That good? O.o

Real quick: Best moveset for Togekiss in Festive Feud?

Currently have Follow Me, Air Slash, Tail Wind and Roost. That good? O.o
If you need the redirection support, that should work just fine unless you really want a fairy STAB.

I've never used Kiss before, but Follow me sure is annoying when used properly. I might have to breed one myself.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I just started battling, so far I'm 10-0, which is basically the equivalent of the first day! I'm also at 1654!

Really glad I elected not to use Brick Break Regigigas, only seen one dual screen team so far.

Bleh, I still haven't fully built my team. I've got roughly 2 Pokemon completely finished, and 4 that are still babies, but have the right IVs and Nature... bleh. I hate it.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm gonna do my old trick of not playing until the last day and throwing together a team of stuff I have on cart. Is Serp best off just being the all-out offensive spread or a bulkier one? I was thinking offensive with a Sash but that means I gotta retrain...

I have very little time on my hands cant say, but well, it depends on your team. If you're using Bulky Serperior, then you want super strong offense from other Pokemon to balance it out. If your other Pokemon lack strong offense, then make Serperior more offensive. Um... just gonna choose randomly, I honestly think an offensive spread is better. Watch out for Talonflame, of course!!

Gotta love it when you get disconnected during games... out of 5 games I've played so far, I won 3 but dc'd on the last two... both of which I was going to win, sigh.

Dark Void Smeargle FTW.

I'm gonna do my old trick of not playing until the last day and throwing together a team of stuff I have on cart. Is Serp best off just being the all-out offensive spread or a bulkier one? I was thinking offensive with a Sash but that means I gotta retrain...
I've found that bulky Serperior that is built for Mega Kang gets exposed by the special attackers that seem more popular.

And talonflame doesn't need a lot of prior damage to get through.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, finished!

I ended at 25-5, probably around 1770ish. Annoying I wasn't able to break 1800 due to some haxy games, but I still think I did pretty damn good! Regardless, I had a lot of fun. Festive Feud's banlist dramtically changes the triples metagame for sure!

Here's the team I ended up using. Its the same one I was laddering on in Pokemon Showdown. Really ended up being a very successful team. If you guys ever wanna partcipate in these competitions, I highly reccomend practicing on Pokemon Showdown and Battle Spot Free ladders on cart, I think the practice really helped me this time! Im even considering making an RMT to go deeper into my thought process for this team.

Regigigas @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Slow Start
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wide Guard
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Return

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Protect
- Imprison

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 pe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Head Smash
- Brick Break
- Dragon Claw

Scrafty @ Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Quick Guard

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Feint
- Protect
- Bug Bite

I finished 22-8. I still don't know what the problem yesterday was. I already posted my team above, but I'll put it here again
Meowstic @ Focus Sash
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Misty Terrain
- Quick Guard
- Sunny Day
- Helping Hand

Lilligant @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Giga Drain
- After You
- Quiver Dance

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Camerupt-Mega @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Flare Blitz
- Quick Guard

Reuniclus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 100 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Snatch
- Helping Hand
- Light Screen

I used Mega Camerupt because I had it in the Scrappy Skirmish, but barely used it because of its low speed and I only face to TR teams, but I liked Camerupt so I decided to centre my team around for the festive feud. Eruption deals devastating damage, especially with helping hand and/or sun and sheer force heat wave is obviously another powerful spread move for after it gets hit. Protect is mandatory to safely set up trick room and Earth Power is something to hit fire resists with or get passed wide guard.

Reuniclus is a pretty obvious TR setter but I found its movepool was the best of allowed trick room setters for my team. Colbur berry was to live a knock off/crunch. Helping hand was to power up Eruption or anything else. Snatch was mainly to steal an obvious wide guard, but it could also steal other stuff that looked threatening. Light Screen allowed Camerupt to live a water attack in the sun and helped cushion any other special attacks because there were a lot.

Meowstic is another support mon. I used misty terrain over safeguard because it cannot be snatched. Even though it messed up Amoonguss' spore, Smeargle is often paired with a snatch user expecting a safeguard so misty terrain saved me a few times. Quick guard allowed Camerupt to use eruption before taking damage and ensured reuniclus could get trick room up. Sunny day powered up Eruption even further, and stopped rain. Helping hand was for even more power. Meowstic really could have used more moves because it was originally intended for screens support, but it needed so many other moves that it no longer had room from them.

Talonflame was something that could function well with or without trick room and it appreciated sun support. It's set is pretty self explanatory, but I couldn't think of a better item than sharp beak.

Amoonguss was redirection so that Camerupt could continue firing eruption. It's another standard set.

I know a lot of people don't like hearing standard set so don't worry, because I did use Lilligant. Lilligant was mainly a backup for if trick room failed to get set up or after it expired. With chlorophyll it could outspeed everything in the sun and use after you to allow Camerupt to get at least one Eruption off. It also has quiver dance which made it surprisingly quick, powerful and slightly more specially bulky. It's too bad it doesn't get a single usable damaging move besides grass type moves (and I was too lazy to get hidden power on something gimmicky). It could somewhat make up for its terrible bulk with giga drain, but it was still ohko'd a lot. I think it did pull its wait for the most part and it was fun to use.

Looking back, three support mons was overkill, because once Camerupt was gone it was really difficult to generate offense, but I still had a fun introduction to triples.

Here's some videos:

NFKG-WWWW-WW38-7SBX This was my closest battle against another M-Camerupt team. I ultimately lost at the end to sucker punch druddigon but it was still a great battle.

6ZFW-WWWW-WW38-7SHV I somehow came back from a 2-6 deficit in the rain with Lilligant and Talonflame which ended up coming down to basically two separate single battles on opposite ends of the field.

G69W-WWWW-WW38-7U3D My basic strategy when it works with no complications, although made some very questionable switches.

BH7W-WWWW-WW38-7RUZ Lilligant comes up big with chlorophyll after you

Attachments

Last edited:
I just finished my battles. I ended 21-9 with a little more than 1637 points. I started the day with only 5 losses but I got on a bad streak facing amazing Japanese players that totally outplayed me. Still, this is my best competition so far so I'm happy with the result.
Thanks to Theorymon, his Regigigas helped a lot with my team.
I saw a lot of different teams, but by far the most used pokemon were Charizard, and Talonflame. There were some Rain, and TR teams but sun was more popular.
Can somebody tell me how do I make a expandable block of text? I want to write about my team but it will take too much space otherwise.

I went on 5 game losing run. The score was around 1450 and never got above 1550 even at my best.

Ended up 9-9 and had no reason to make it worse today.

And is it just me, or am I seeing loads of DC's upon the final knockout? I've gotten like 5 at least already.
It's not just you; the first person I battled flipped their switch when they were losing (and thus far hasn't been penalized for it; I dunno when it'll show up as a win for me...if it does).

I nearly forgot the competition was this weekend. Course, Battle Spot kept matching me up with people close to the 1600's when I was just starting...wasn't happy with that. Tyranitar and Bisharp on almost every single team so far from my encounters. Only one team I faced didn't have those two on it it (though, every team still had Talonflame).

Technically, I'm 5-4; I got matched up with two people a couple points shy of 1600 with the typical OP teams right from the get-go when I was at 1500 (I don't mind a challenge, but that's like fighting the final boss at level 1). Won the last two matches, though I was still matched with people with a much higher point rating than me, but still managed to win.
But, I'm done. I'm not having any fun, and I keep worrying that people are gonna flip their WiFi switch if they start to lose; typically, the person who disconnects is penalized with a loss, but the first person who disconnected on me hasn't been penalized yet, so I don't feel like playing that game. Plus, I'm sick of seeing the same pokes on every team already.

I just finished my battles. I ended 21-9 with a little more than 1637 points. I started the day with only 5 losses but I got on a bad streak facing amazing Japanese players that totally outplayed me. Still, this is my best competition so far so I'm happy with the result.
Thanks to Theorymon, his Regigigas helped a lot with my team.
I saw a lot of different teams, but by far the most used pokemon were Charizard, and Talonflame. There were some Rain, and TR teams but sun was more popular.
Can somebody tell me how do I make a expandable block of text? I want to write about my team but it will take too much space otherwise.
Here's a list of all the stuff you can do in smogon forums http://www.smogon.com/forums/help/bb-codes

It's not just you; the first person I battled flipped their switch when they were losing (and thus far hasn't been penalized for it; I dunno when it'll show up as a win for me...if it does).

I nearly forgot the competition was this weekend. Course, Battle Spot kept matching me up with people close to the 1600's when I was just starting...wasn't happy with that. Tyranitar and Bisharp on almost every single team so far from my encounters. Only one team I faced didn't have those two on it it (though, every team still had Talonflame).

Technically, I'm 5-4; I got matched up with two people a couple points shy of 1600 with the typical OP teams right from the get-go when I was at 1500 (I don't mind a challenge, but that's like fighting the final boss at level 1). Won the last two matches, though I was still matched with people with a much higher point rating than me, but still managed to win.
But, I'm done. I'm not having any fun, and I keep worrying that people are gonna flip their WiFi switch if they start to lose; typically, the person who disconnects is penalized with a loss, but the first person who disconnected on me hasn't been penalized yet, so I don't feel like playing that game. Plus, I'm sick of seeing the same pokes on every team already.
What's the point of people disconnecting on purpose? They still get a loss to their total, right? Does a disconnect/forfeit count towards the 3 match requirement for PGL Delibird? /confused

Already got 3 DC's in a row today. (Two were in Team Preview which I don't understand.) Probably just gonna be done. Went 14-2 overall with a rating of about 1680. Here's the team I used:

Meowstic @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Fake Out
- Thunder Wave
- Reflect
- Light Screen

Dual Screens are amazing in Triples. Thunder Wave lets it do something after setting up Screens.

Gardevoir (F) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Encore
- Protect

Standard Mega Gardevoir. Encore is great if you can Trace Prankster, but I didn't get that to happen in the actual competition.

Throh @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
Brave Nature
IVs: Low Spe
- Brick Break
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard
- Protect

The best Wide Guard user that I didn't have to reset for (and go through a crazy side quest). Ended up being extremely useful against spread damage and Dual Screen teams but pretty much useless against any other team.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 116 SpAtk / 142 SpDef
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Just used the EVs on the one I already had. Mostly used to counter Talonflame, which can be a huge problem for the rest of the team.

Talonflame (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Kills most Wide Guard users with Brave Bird (even though I barely saw any) and Tailwind and Quick Guard are both great support moves for Mega Gardevoir.

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Spore
- Protect

Just Spore everything. Bullet Seed was great for killing Rotom-W and Mach Punch would basically take out any Smeargle before they could act. If they had a Focus Sash, something like Gardevoir's Hyper Voice would take care of it.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
What's the point of people disconnecting on purpose? They still get a loss to their total, right? Does a disconnect/forfeit count towards the 3 match requirement for PGL Delibird? /confused
Usually a dc should count as a loss for them. One reason I heard people may dc is because they don't want you to be able to save a video of you beating their "amazing" team. There's also that some people are salty if you hax them. I would guess a forfeit would count torwards the Delibird but not a dc.

Well, I only played 10 games on my main game (had to do a bunch on my other saves for the Delibirds) and got 7-3, however 2 of those losses were disconnects on my part which absolutely would have been wins - so I'm pretty happy with 9-1 for my first time doing a competition properly! :)

Might edit this post later with my team but for now, I need sleep ... 6am lol. Next time I won't leave all my battles for multiple saves til the last day, ugh.

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
I went 0-0 because apparently I forgot to sign up :/ I had a team already so if anyone wants to fight me in this just for fun that would be cool

I'm not much of a competitive battler, but I thought this looked fun and term was over so I bred up a team. I ended up with a passable record of around 19-11, give or take a loss. Didn't have too many disconnects, and only faced one team clearly just thrown together to get the delibird.

My team was an incredibly stally one, with Meowstic, Regigigas, Gallade, Rotom-H, Jellicent and Mega Charizard Y.

Meowstic ran dual screens, safeguard and fake out. Obviously it didn't kill anything but it was an invaluable team member, and if it went down early then usually I lost. I'd have loved an extra move slot of five, but I don't think I'd have swapped any of its moves out.

Regigigas was my favourite and I built the team around him. Slow Start plus only ivs of only 25 in attack and defense kept it down, but ultimately it was great at sitting their spamming Wide Guard and Thunder Wave for as many turns as possible. Rock Slide was great for para-flinch hax, but Brick Break saw next to no use whatsoever, most exceptions being to fix snatch mishaps. No one else used screens and it didn't have the power to take out Scrafty or Tyrannitar. Slow Start did have some upsides, such as encouraging my team to not give a damn about speed or intimidate, and syncing perfectly with enemy trick room.

Gallade was probably my weakest member. It was far too fragile without screens, and my habit of picking flying weak pokémon as Talonflame counters has got to stop. Quick Guard worked well though: It was very useful at stopping Gale Wings and Prankster, or as a sacrifice to Snatch. I also gave it Heal Pulse, thinking I was being clever, but it didn't help. For one, the move doesn't retarget if the intended recipient faints, despite being able to hit either ally from any position.

Rotom did good as yet another tank, though offensively it was a bit of a let down out of sun, especially if it was forced into Overheating early. Oddly it seemed to attract lots of not very effective moves, several fights had people attack it with grass moves or electric moves, and it took far too many attacks from every Talonflame that saw it to be believed.

Jellicent was fun, though again my team was lacking offensively and Jellicent had trouble in sun. It used Hex to work with my paralyze heavy team or its own burn heavy moveset, which sometimes gave it trouble due to lum berries, safeguards or missing will-o-wisps, but overall felt worth it. Cursed Body was a major asset to the team, consistently triggering at the evilest of times.

Charizard was a veteran from a VGC battle spot competition I entered at the start of XY, transplanted unchanged after I realised my team had no real offensive presence. I was already used to it it surviving non-stab rock slides and hydro pumps with intimidate and sun support, but under dual screens it felt like a tank. Unfortunately, I often kept it in reserve to long and ended up sending it out outnumbered and with screens long gone. Protect was great for summoning every weather setter to the field a turn before I triggered Drought, but my favourite move remains Ancient Power. No one sees it coming ever, and it is almost always a OHKO on fellow Y-Zards or on Talonflame (and one Delibird). I kept getting the stat boosts too, which is always nice and brings about 5 seconds of repetitive animation to let things sink in.

Despite other peoples tales, I saw only one fellow Regigigas user. Gardevoir was common (Trace repeatedly went after Slow Start and on one memorable occasion brought back sun for me), as was Charizard. I saw fewer Meowstic and Talonflame then I was expecting. I met with some fun gimmicks too, such as a team with Delibird, Castform and Seaking that fought admirably, and a Feint Scyther, Transform Smeargle and Mega Gardevoir combo that was clever if completely ineffectual.

I mostly faced japanese players, so I don't think I fought anyone here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)