SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think of the "clothing" on most pokemon as the way Sylveon's ribbon-things are occasionally described as: sort of like feeling appendages that are actually part of their body. Imagine being pimp-slapped by the ones trailing off of Mega Medicham's arms/back/wherever.

Also, picture Slowking as a mutated Dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park. Same skin/appendage idea.

Well I think Mega Medicham's extra "arms" is just spiritual/psychic energy. It's more on the list because of the "turban" and "beads" around its "pants".

Got a point about the Dilophosaurus, though still doen't take away it looks like a frill being its two colors not part of Slowking's normal color scheme. :P

Need to point out that the Jurassic park dino is totally fictional. Dilphosaurus looks like this:

You're thinking of the frilled lizard that inspired the Helioptile line.

But I think we hit the weak spot that the nudist beach approach to Pokemon doesn't make much sense with Jynx, Sawk, or Throh. So they evolved to emulate human fashions? But if they are wearing clothing, where did they get said clothing? Poke-goodwill? So Machamp may or may not be wearing a poser, but a full species policy doesn't make much sense. It's just one of those mysteries that doesn't need an answer because any answer would raise more questions than it solves.

So I say treat Gamefreak like your crazy uncle Eddy's wild stories and take it all with a grain of salt despite his authority.

Last edited:
Need to point out that the Jurassic park dino is totally fictional. Dilphosaurus looks like this:

But I think we hit the weak spot that the nudist beach approach to Pokemon doesn't make much sense with Jynx, Sawk, or Throh. So they evolved to emulate human fashions? But if they are wearing clothing, where did they get said clothing? Poke-goodwill? So Machamp may or may not be wearing a poser, but a full species policy doesn't make much sense. It's just one of those mysteries that doesn't need an answer because any answer would raise more questions than it solves.

So I say treat Gamefreak like your crazy uncle Eddy's wild stories and take it all with a grain of salt despite his authority.
We're going to need A LOT more than just a grain of salt considering some of the ridiculous things that pop up in the pokedex...

Reactions: JES

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

You got it confused. The Pokemon didn't copy the humans in the Pokemon World, but rather the other way around. In the Pokemon World, Ganguro is a fashion based off of Jynx and the martial arts robes were stolen from Sawk and Throh. Because of Machamp, belts are given out to champions of wrestling as a sign of honour and pride, and wedding dresses are based off of Gardevoir's elegance with her dress.

Humans learn more from Pokemon than Pokemon do from humans!

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
im p sure the belt is an actual belt, whether it is of human or pokemon origin idk

but a lot of the dex entries mention how the belt holds back their power and how if they *keyword* took it off *key words* then their power would be too much to handle.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
You got it confused. The Pokemon didn't copy the humans in the Pokemon World, but rather the other way around. In the Pokemon World, Ganguro is a fashion based off of Jynx and the martial arts robes were stolen from Sawk and Throh. Because of Machamp, belts are given out to champions of wrestling as a sign of honour and pride, and wedding dresses are based off of Gardevoir's elegance with her dress.

Humans learn more from Pokemon than Pokemon do from humans!
You also forgot to mention that in the Dex it specifically says humans learned how to make concrete from Conkeldurr.

Ah but let's not forget that some Pokemon are artificial or their appearance seems to indicate influence from people. The Klink and Voltorb family didn't appear until recently with Voltorb specifically mentioned to have appeared when the Poke Ball was created. The Porygon family, Golett family, and Castform were made by people to fulfill a purpose (Porygon family FOR SCIENCE, Golett family by ancient people to protect them, and Castform by scientists to understand and control weather). The Grimer and Trubbish family are human pollution and garbage turned into Pokemon. Burmy and Wormadam probably didn't have a Trash Cloak until humans started creating enough garbage. Wouldn't be surprised Rotom's existence came about from human technology. Oh, and let's not forget Mewtwo and Genesect. Finally just in general a trainer's Pokemon will begin to mirror some of their trainer's personality traits and quirks.

However I would agree that the Pokemon had a major influence on people in the Pokemon World that they base many things around or themed after Pokemon.

Though this all does bring in the mystery of the Unown. The Unown exactly match the English alphabet as well as two punctuation symbols which are notably different from the other Unown having their eyes half closed. It has been a long time mystery whether did some human languages develop from the Unown or did the Unown form from the creation of human languages? I personality always thought it was a sort of half-and-half thing. The Unown originally existed as a formless metaphysical being made of concept and thought for probably the beginning of the universe until a group linked themselves with human consciousness. When humans developed the written alphabet, this concept somehow intersected with the Unown's and changed them into the shape we know them as today and allowed them to enter and interact with the Pokemon world. While there probably still "Unown" who are in their natural formless shape I would imagine many would have changed into a physical form (and in their own dimension they probably have the ability to change between formless and bodied).

They might be right about "wild Machamp" or something like "they don't normally", although it's not like Gamefreak has never flip-flopped on details before.
They'll sure as hell do it if we tell them to!

Just saw from Bulbapedia that Arceus's Pokeathleton stats changes depending on the Plate that it is holding. If it's not holding any Plate, it has perfect stats in all events while holding Plates will cause it to drop (for example, the Fist Plate causes Arceus to only have 4/5 in Speed, Jump and Stamina). Anyone can think of a plausible explanation other than Gameplay and Story Segregation?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Just saw from Bulbapedia that Arceus's Pokeathleton stats changes depending on the Plate that it is holding. If it's not holding any Plate, it has perfect stats in all events while holding Plates will cause it to drop (for example, the Fist Plate causes Arceus to only have 4/5 in Speed, Jump and Stamina). Anyone can think of a plausible explanation other than Gameplay and Story Segregation?
Well maybe when Arceus attaches a plate its more emphasizing the Pokeathlon stats that specific type generally would expertise in.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Pokemon has officially released "Machamp secrets" as part of the event "Machamp's Gym" via Pokemon Daisuki Club.
This includes how the "pants" are actually patterns on their skin, and emphasized that Pokemon don't wear clothes.
It also says that Machamps and Conkeldor face intense rivalry when it comes to working for humans.
In the human world, Machamp cafes (similar to maid cafes ) are popular among female humans.

(I think this basically hints that Machamp is getting a Mega)
(And I think this basically encourages Machamp shipping with human females)
This is so explicit, Game Freak... is this really ok? x___x

12342370_10153309330806475_5217260589027522059_n.jpg
12348012_10153309331066475_2190378924948676949_n.jpg
12348045_10153309330036475_6393625851673451502_n.jpg <-- THIS!!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well... give GF some credit, not many companies would try going for the female fanservice route. Then again the internet has already done the male fanservice route, isn't that right Gardevoir?

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Do I want to know what that says? Why am I so morbidly curious about what it says?
I don't understand the text fully, but it seems irrelevant.

One girl was saying if Machamp has a Mega.
The other girl says she really wants Machamp to have a Mega, but it doesn't have one yet. And then she said, Machamp's belt suppresses Machamp's power.
(implying that if the belt is taken away, Machamp's power will be unleashed)

In the second picture, they are talking about a tour.

In the third picture, they are talking about berries.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't understand the text fully, but it seems irrelevant.

One girl was saying if Machamp has a Mega.
The other girl says she really wants Machamp to have a Mega, but it doesn't have one yet. And then she said, Machamp's belt suppresses Machamp's power.

In the second picture, they are talking about a tour.

In the third picture, they are talking about berries.
Huh, so the idea behind Mega Machamp will be that it takes off its belt to unleash its full power. Got it, GF. Of course that means jack squat until you release it and you've yet to announce Pokemon Z. Now I know all this was planned in advance and though the game was delayed that doesn't mean everything else was, but still it feels a bit premature and maybe should have focused on one of the other Pokemon in their newly opened Gym (if I recall there's also Zoroark and Smeargle... unless they're getting Mega Evos too) or went with an alternate info dump not mentioning all the Mega stuff. :P

Well that's odd, since your last translation suggested Machamp isn't wearing clothing. Unless the belt doesn't count? Or it's just Gamefreaks typical flip-flopping on Pokemon-lore, to be expected when you make a lava slug hot enough to ignite the atmosphere.

This is still really creepy. I mean, Gardevoir and others treatment by the internet is one thing but this is official Nintendo/Gamefreak advertisements. Didn't they learn anything from Transformers: Kiss Players!?

For a new mystery, let's talk about gems!

While this might be a boarderline metagame topic, what exactly happened to the gems besides the normal one? Why did they take them away? Will they ever come back?

While Gamefreak does cut items sometimes, this is the first time a whole game mechanic has gone missing, and wasn't reintroduced later (at least yet, but ORAS has me worried).

To set the tone, here's a few points of discussion:
1. Was there any reason at all to cut them? Not so much your own opinion, try to think like a game developer.
2. What was their impact on Doubles or the VGC metagames (the officially sponsored formats) during Gen 5?
3. What was their impact in-game?
4. Why did one normal Gem sneak into Gen 6?
5. Has there been any interviews mentioning them?

Well that's odd, since your last translation suggested Machamp isn't wearing clothing. Unless the belt doesn't count? Or it's just Gamefreaks typical flip-flopping on Pokemon-lore, to be expected when you make a lava slug hot enough to ignite the atmosphere.

This is still really creepy. I mean, Gardevoir and others treatment by the internet is one thing but this is official Nintendo/Gamefreak advertisements. Didn't they learn anything from Transformers: Kiss Players!?

While this might be a boarderline metagame topic, what exactly happened to the gems besides the normal one? Why did they take them away? Will they ever come back?

While Gamefreak does cut items sometimes, this is the first time a whole game mechanic has gone missing, and wasn't reintroduced later (at least yet, but ORAS has me worried).

1. Was there any reason at all to cut them? Not so much your own opinion, try to think like a game developer.
2. What was their impact on Doubles or the VGC metagames (the officially sponsored formats) during Gen 5?
I figured they were cut because most of them were overpowered in Doubles/VGC (especially the flying gem with Acrobatics and sometimes dark with Sucker Punch). Instead of cutting one they cut everyone but the one for the "generic" type. I guess the normal one was to still provide really good suicide with Explosion which is something that seems to be in place with doubles.

I figured they were cut because most of them were overpowered in Doubles/VGC (especially the flying gem with Acrobatics and sometimes dark with Sucker Punch). Instead of cutting one they cut everyone but the one for the "generic" type. I guess the normal one was to still provide really good suicide with Explosion which is something that seems to be in place with doubles.
But weren't the gems' boost nerfed to like 30%? And if they were going to remove them... why create the Fairy Gem?

But weren't the gems' boost nerfed to like 30%? And if they were going to remove them... why create the Fairy Gem?
idk, maybe they were planning to do events at one point. Or maybe they cut it late in the game after nerfing them and creating the Fairy Gem and the only one they didn't remove in the game was the Normal Gem.

I can't answer the first part, but the Fairy Gem could have been as a placeholder or early content data. The sometimes put these in so that when hacked in or added later they don't crash the game automatically. It think so anyway... computer programming is not my strong suit. It's like how there have been other cut items created for no use, like the Curse-type plate in gen4 or the God Stone in gen5.

Oh, that double entendre probably wasn't accidental. The seven-year-olds in the target audience have parents, you know. (TV Tropes Warning)
And some people try to see what they can get away with. I mean, just watch any random episode of Rocko's Modern Life if you want your childhood to be harmed.
idk, maybe they were planning to do events at one point. Or maybe they cut it late in the game after nerfing them and creating the Fairy Gem and the only one they didn't remove in the game was the Normal Gem.
I honestly think it might be the event one. I do agree with the sentiment that they nerfed them, yet won't bring them back.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

Mach Belt: I think they still say it's wearing a belt (so the question "where did the belt come from?" still remains), just the black "underwear" it has "on" is actually natural coloring.

Poke Attraction: As for the Gardevoir stuff, don't count GF out of the odd sexual obsession with it yet. Remember Mega Gardevoir does look like its wearing a wedding dress and it does form very close emotional bonds with its trainer... Oh, and GF also brought us not only a Pokemon who looks to be based off the Playboy bunny but Mega Lopunny's natural leg colors makes it look like its wearing torn stockings. Also not to mention that while they reused stock art of some of the male trainers from XY for ORAS all the female trainers got new art.

Gems: Careful there buddy, did you pull a muscle making that reference stretch? Want to try and throw in a Jem and the Holograms one as well while you're at it? :P

Anyway onto your questions:

1 & 2. As Darth Manaphy pointed out, a few were causing havoc in the metagame, particularly Flying Gem + Acrobatics. You wouldn't think a one time 50% power boost would effect a battle that much, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was strong enough for a OHKO and that would affect a game a big way. Even with a 30% power decrease either tests they ran still showed it was too powerful (even if it didn't OHKO it would surely knock a Pokemon down to the low red range) or they didn't want to take the chance and pulled all of them (except for Normal Gem which we'll discuss below). I have a feeling they still want them in though, it's just they haven't had the time to figure out how (like give them out via Event Pokemon) or they're waiting for XY2/Z to give the metagame a chance to "reset and stabilize" before bringing them back for another test run. Thus why they also made the Fairy Gem, they want them to come back and they wouldn't feel complete with one for the new type (yet they didn't think to make a basic power-up item for Fairy-types...).

3. Outside of places like the Battle Subway and Pokemon World Tournament, not much if used at all. But that was probably due to their consumable nature. However in the Battle Subway and Pokemon World Tournament I imagine they were just as powerful as the were in the metagame. I think even some computer opponents us gems, many of the Gym Leader did (many using Flying Gem + Acrobatics and Dark Gem + Sucker Punch).

4. My guess Normal Gem was allowed since no Type is weak to Normal.

5. None that I can find.

I can't answer the first part, but the Fairy Gem could have been as a placeholder or early content data. The sometimes put these in so that when hacked in or added later they don't crash the game automatically. It think so anyway... computer programming is not my strong suit. It's like how there have been other cut items created for no use, like the Curse-type plate in gen4 or the God Stone in gen5.
I don't think Fairy Gem is a placeholder, if hacked it works as intended. And I don't see how not having a Fairy Gem would crash the game. Like Arceus had a ???-type (There was no ??? Plate though) to prevent crashing, but that's because someone may force Arceus to be a ???-type and since Arceus's sprite changes depending on its type the game would look for a ???-type Arceus sprite. Not so sure about the God Stone, that feels like its a leftover idea left in the game code. But its description is very simple and it does nothing.

Anyway, I hope they bring them back in XY2/Z. See if the changes you did work before tossing them out.

Poke Attraction: As for the Gardevoir stuff, don't count GF out of the odd sexual obsession with it yet. Remember Mega Gardevoir does look like its wearing a wedding dress and it does form very close emotional bonds with its trainer... Oh, and GF also brought us not only a Pokemon who looks to be based off the Playboy bunny but Mega Lopunny's natural leg colors makes it look like its wearing torn stockings. Also not to mention that while they reused stock art of some of the male trainers from XY for ORAS all the female trainers got new art.

Gems: Careful there buddy, did you pull a muscle making that reference stretch? Want to try and throw in a Jem and the Holograms one as well while you're at it? :P
I'm a 90's kid, not 80's, so that would be outrageous. Truly truly truly outrageous.

While your right about certain pokemons' designs making them common targets for you-know-what, I guess this is the difference between innuendo and suggestion, versus blatant outright objectification (hearts in the eyes and all that). At least be sneaky about it!

Back to the gems, one thing I wonder is how they'd function with both the power nerf and the new knock-off mechanics. A tiny fragile few pokemon could almost benefit from losing their item at a critical moment, but I guess that's just open speculation at this point, not mystery solving.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)