SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm a 90's kid, not 80's, so that would be outrageous. Truly truly truly outrageous.

While your right about certain pokemons' designs making them common targets for you-know-what, I guess this is the difference between innuendo and suggestion, versus blatant outright objectification (hearts in the eyes and all that). At least be sneaky about it!

Back to the gems, one thing I wonder is how they'd function with both the power nerf and the new knock-off mechanics. A tiny fragile few pokemon could almost benefit from losing their item at a critical moment, but I guess that's just open speculation at this point, not mystery solving.
But Steven Universe is two decades away from the 90's. :P Also Jem just got a movie, it's not any good but they still got a movie (and apparently a comic which is said to be really good according to people on the interwebz).

Also you sure about the Gardevoir being subtle thing:

Well I think Pokemon Showdown allows the use of Gems so you can experiment there.

Mach Belt: I think they still say it's wearing a belt (so the question "where did the belt come from?" still remains), just the black "underwear" it has "on" is actually natural coloring.

Poke Attraction: As for the Gardevoir stuff, don't count GF out of the odd sexual obsession with it yet. Remember Mega Gardevoir does look like its wearing a wedding dress and it does form very close emotional bonds with its trainer... Oh, and GF also brought us not only a Pokemon who looks to be based off the Playboy bunny but Mega Lopunny's natural leg colors makes it look like its wearing torn stockings. Also not to mention that while they reused stock art of some of the male trainers from XY for ORAS all the female trainers got new art.

Gems: Careful there buddy, did you pull a muscle making that reference stretch? Want to try and throw in a Jem and the Holograms one as well while you're at it? :P

Anyway onto your questions:

1 & 2. As Darth Manaphy pointed out, a few were causing havoc in the metagame, particularly Flying Gem + Acrobatics. You wouldn't think a one time 50% power boost would effect a battle that much, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was strong enough for a OHKO and that would affect a game a big way. Even with a 30% power decrease either tests they ran still showed it was too powerful (even if it didn't OHKO it would surely knock a Pokemon down to the low red range) or they didn't want to take the chance and pulled all of them (except for Normal Gem which we'll discuss below). I have a feeling they still want them in though, it's just they haven't had the time to figure out how (like give them out via Event Pokemon) or they're waiting for XY2/Z to give the metagame a chance to "reset and stabilize" before bringing them back for another test run. Thus why they also made the Fairy Gem, they want them to come back and they wouldn't feel complete with one for the new type (yet they didn't think to make a basic power-up item for Fairy-types...).

3. Outside of places like the Battle Subway and Pokemon World Tournament, not much if used at all. But that was probably due to their consumable nature. However in the Battle Subway and Pokemon World Tournament I imagine they were just as powerful as the were in the metagame. I think even some computer opponents us gems, many of the Gym Leader did (many using Flying Gem + Acrobatics and Dark Gem + Sucker Punch).

4. My guess Normal Gem was allowed since no Type is weak to Normal.

5. None that I can find.

I don't think Fairy Gem is a placeholder, if hacked it works as intended. And I don't see how not having a Fairy Gem would crash the game. Like Arceus had a ???-type (There was no ??? Plate though) to prevent crashing, but that's because someone may force Arceus to be a ???-type and since Arceus's sprite changes depending on its type the game would look for a ???-type Arceus sprite. Not so sure about the God Stone, that feels like its a leftover idea left in the game code. But its description is very simple and it does nothing.

Anyway, I hope they bring them back in XY2/Z. See if the changes you did work before tossing them out.
Most did get new art, sure, but Hex Maniac still uses the X/Y art, and, well, there's Fairy Tale Girl. (but no female Psychics) I wouldn't point to the female trainer classes getting mostly new art as anything, just more of the male trainer class art already fit with their Ruby and Sapphire counterparts than the females did. (Hex Maniac is unchanged, and there were no Fairy Tale Girls back then, but female Psychics and running/biking/swimming Triathletes have been left out entirely) As well, I always had the impression Mega Gradevoir's dress is a poofier ball gown, keeping with the entire line's dancing theme.

What's gotten me a little more curious is that the 2014 Diancie would have been an excellent time to have it come with a Fairy Gem... but instead gave another Normal Gem. Perhaps they're planning to release the gems in some as-yet-unseen mini-game "attraction"? It's possible, I suppose.

Okay, new mystery:
How can several Pokémon use moves that require body parts they don't have? For example, Gastly, a Pokémon with no limbs at all, can use the elemental punches. Another similar case is Wooper, a Pokémon who is quite happy despite not having arms, can use Ice Punch. How?

Okay, new mystery:
How can several Pokémon use moves that require body parts they don't have? For example, Gastly, a Pokémon with no limbs at all, can use the elemental punches. Another similar case is Wooper, a Pokémon who is quite happy despite not having arms, can use Ice Punch. How?
I assume it's because they get these limbs later when they evolve... Though Gastly could probably just form its body into a fist. But how Diglett can use stuff like Slash without obvious limbs is one of the mysteries of the universe.

Diglett is based off of a mole and is implied to have unseen claws. How else would it be able to dig?
And feet. Again, who knows how or where.

And of course we all know that Wooper can somehow bash things in with his head and have it considered a punch. Or something like that, that's the only thing that makes any sense. But then, implying Pokemon makes sense in any way. :P

Okay, new mystery:
This could make sense for Ghost or Psychic types. I've always thought that those with no arms will form the move out of some sort of "air" and then attack with it. Say Gastly uses Ice Punch, a fist will materialize covered and ice and then they use that to attack.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
This could make sense for Ghost or Psychic types. I've always thought that those with no arms will form the move out of some sort of "air" and then attack with it. Say Gastly uses Ice Punch, a fist will materialize covered and ice and then they use that to attack.
Actually just in general many attacks have that part of the Pokemon's body glow/covered with the move's type so it's possible these Pokemon just create a needed limb out of energy. Primeape creates a steel energy tail, Wooper and Ghastly create a fist made of ice, etc..

There was one conspiracy that my brother and I were talking about today.

I'm certain we all heard of the idea that terrorists in the Pokemon world could just carry Wailords or such and send them out in small spaces to either crush everyone or destroy the buildings. Do you really believe that? Does the Pokemon really have the say? Maybe it would try to come out, find out it can't fit, and return? If the Pokemon has the say, what would happen if it was trained somehow to do that? Does the ball itself have control over whether a Pokemon can come out or not? I want YOUR opinions of this.

I'm certain we all heard of the idea that terrorists in the Pokemon world could just carry Wailords or such and send them out in small spaces to either crush everyone or destroy the buildings. Do you really believe that? Does the Pokemon really have the say? Maybe it would try to come out, find out it can't fit, and return? If the Pokemon has the say, what would happen if it was trained somehow to do that? Does the ball itself have control over whether a Pokemon can come out or not? I want YOUR opinions of this.
Well, in the anime at least, the Pokemon seem to have the ability to refuse to come out of the ball, based that Diglett episode, in response to one part. I'd imagine the Pokemon would refuse to come out in a building setting like that, either for their own safety (Wailord has to know it won't fit and there's no water) or maybe having a morality of their own. In Wailord's case also, it is literally low density enough to float, so I doubt the walls would give against it considering it's basically a gigantic balloon. While no accounting for weight, I imagine the balls have a measure to avoid letting the mon out if the space is too small for this reason.

While no accounting for weight, I imagine the balls have a measure to avoid letting the mon out if the space is too small for this reason.
I honestly think this makes the most sense. It also might be why Wailord and other large Pokémon return to their Poké Balls when you enter a building in HeartGold and SoulSilver.

If I remember that one quote from the show though, it was something along the lines of:
"Pokemon aren't evil, it's just their masters that are."
But it does make me think, obviously with Jessie and Jame's Arbok and Weezing that even if their master has evil intentions they will do it. So if someone drilled into their Wailord's head that it needed to come out of the Pokeball in that room...

Even if the Pokemon doesn't want to come out because of the small space, I do think the Pokeball would let it out. Isn't there several examples with Jessie's Wobnufett coming out of the Pokeball when there isn't enough room for it? But that was the Pokemon's intention.

It might not work with Wailord as pika pal said, but I imagine someone could sneak a Pokemon inside a building that could do massive damage such as a something that knows Earthquake. Any fire type move could do, or just even Smog of Smoke Screen could take out everything... We know it can hurt you, because of Pokemon Adventures HGSS. Trying to find it, but there was a part where it made Silver and whatishisnameiforgothelikessuicunealot start to cry, etc.

Well, it might not even be something like Wailord. How about a big heavy Pokemon. Surely Metagross has a lot of place to stand on top of a high office building, but it weighs about half a ton and standing on like 12 "talons". Sure Metagross has a few advantages over other Pokemon due to its been shown to float at times, but as HelenTheHero implied...what if someone convinces it NOT to even float slightly?

Well, it might not even be something like Wailord. How about a big heavy Pokemon. Surely Metagross has a lot of place to stand on top of a high office building, but it weighs about half a ton and standing on like 12 "talons". Sure Metagross has a few advantages over other Pokemon due to its been shown to float at times, but as HelenTheHero implied...what if someone convinces it NOT to even float slightly?
As far as Metagross and other Heavy-but-floatable Pokemon, some of them have designs that legitimately don't look like they could support their weight properly on their legs.

As far as Metagross and other Heavy-but-floatable Pokemon, some of them have designs that legitimately don't look like they could support their weight properly on their legs.
I would imagine Metagross as being like a very large spider when using its legs to actually "walk". It's made of steel though, could probably support itself a little. Who knows if it can walk.

That suggests it could stop if it wanted to. Like, try telling yourself to stop breathing. Ain't gonna work.

Although the anime has displayed the property damage of raising pokemon, actually quite consistently too. Heck, I remember when Brock's Geodude almost tipped the St. Anne over, so they returned all their pokemon to keep the boat from sinking more.

As for why villains don't use the more mundane pokemon effects to cause massive crimes (just imagine what mayhem you can cause with Sleep Powder, or Gravity), I've got two ideas:

1. Our physics ain't your physics. The pokemon world just operates weird, allowing for seemingly lethal or impossible actions to just be fairly mundane. Like when Arceus created the pokemon world, his first commandment was thus "YOU CAN HAVE LASER FISH, BUT IT SHALL BE E FOR EVERYONE!"

2. Our villains are dumb and don't understand basic physics. Considering Team Magma and Aqua's viewpoints regarding ecosystems, and the fact that nearly the whole population drops out of school at the age of 10 to fight mice and birds with the family pet for a living, we aren't dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed here. The biggest Johto regional discovery was that pokemon hatch from eggs!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
2. Our villains are dumb and don't understand basic physics. Considering Team Magma and Aqua's viewpoints regarding ecosystems, and the fact that nearly the whole population drops out of school at the age of 10 to fight mice and birds with the family pet for a living, we aren't dealing with the sharpest tools in the shed here. The biggest Johto regional discovery was that pokemon hatch from eggs!
Well honestly it seems like every few years the Pokemon species mutates (and the mutation then goes back to rewrite time and parallel dimensions).

Gen II: Discovered Pokemon not have genders, can lay eggs, and there are two new types with the Magnemite family suddenly becoming part Steel.
Gen III: Pokemon now have Abilities.
Gen IV: Moves' categories are now move specific instead of determined by type.
Gen VI: Another new type, Fairy, with a ton of old Pokemon getting re-typed, Mega Evolutions are a thing, Grass-types are immune to spore and powder moves, Electric-types can't be paralyzed, Ghost-types can't be trapped, Steel lose their resistance to Dark & Ghost. Though to be fair they later retconned Gen VI taking place in an alternate dimension which is the new status quo.

Hmm, that's a mystery. How is the Kalos region like in the non-Mega Evolution universe? What's the story like since there would be no Ultimate Weapon (or at least AZ didn't use it) otherwise there would be Mega Evolutions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)