SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

Correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but I thought Parasites were explicitly the name given to when the organism detracts in some manner from its host, Commensalism being when one gains without any effect on the other, and Symbiosis and such when both parties gain from the relation. So if the mushroom is a parasite as implied, Parasect does actively suffer in some manner from the mushroom, even if not severely.

Though this does make me wonder when you bring up the Cordyceps: how is Parasect a full and distinct species of Pokemon, since the mushroom is a defining biological trait of the evolution line. While certain insect species are vulnerable to real life Cordyceps, I would assume not every specimen is infected by it. I remember one basis for the insect part of Parasect is a cicada, could Parasect just be an identifier for an infected Nincada or other Pokemon species, rather than a distinct, separate species of Bug Pokemon in which everyone has these Parasitic mushrooms? Wouldn't natural selection entail the species having members survive that bore some kind of resistance to the mind control over generations?
Well, it is likely that Paras are born with the mushrooms, similar to how we do have gut bacteria. At this point, they are just stuck with them from birth to grave.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species:_Paras_and_Parasect

It's all explained here where it comes from. I would assume in "Pokeland" that Vader is correct and the parents immediately put shrooms onto the Paras' back. The Pokemon that was Paras before the fungus took hold is no longer a separate species.

In any case... I would suggest avoiding places were Paras habit naturally (Mt Moon, Ilex Forest, Unova Route 11 and Petalburg Woods) for extended periods of time. Who knows that those shrooms could do to other Pokemon (especially bug types...)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/On_the_Origin_of_Species:_Paras_and_Parasect

It's all explained here where it comes from. I would assume in "Pokeland" that Vader is correct and the parents immediately put shrooms onto the Paras' back. The Pokemon that was Paras before the fungus took hold is no longer a separate species.

In any case... I would suggest avoiding places were Paras habit naturally (Mt Moon, Ilex Forest, Unova Route 11 and Petalburg Woods) for extended periods of time. Who knows that those shrooms could do to other Pokemon (especially bug types...)
Oh how harmful can they be...

I CAN TASTE ALL THE COLORS AND SMELL ALL THE NOISES!

Correct me if I'm remembering wrong, but I thought Parasites were explicitly the name given to when the organism detracts in some manner from its host, Commensalism being when one gains without any effect on the other, and Symbiosis and such when both parties gain from the relation. So if the mushroom is a parasite as implied, Parasect does actively suffer in some manner from the mushroom, even if not severely.

Though this does make me wonder when you bring up the Cordyceps: how is Parasect a full and distinct species of Pokemon, since the mushroom is a defining biological trait of the evolution line. While certain insect species are vulnerable to real life Cordyceps, I would assume not every specimen is infected by it. I remember one basis for the insect part of Parasect is a cicada, could Parasect just be an identifier for an infected Nincada or other Pokemon species, rather than a distinct, separate species of Bug Pokemon in which everyone has these Parasitic mushrooms? Wouldn't natural selection entail the species having members survive that bore some kind of resistance to the mind control over generations?
Symbiosis is not just limited to +/+ interactions. Also, some mutualist interactions can be argued to be cases of reciprocal parasitism in mycology. The fungi in this case would to have a low enough virulence and effect on fitness to force extreme selective pressure towards resistance. There are cases where parasites have a negligible effect on the host's fitness so they have no need for resistance such as with mycorrhizae and mycoheterotrophic plants which have a high degree of host specificity. The fungi associated with Paras probably also has a high degree of host specificity since it does not show up in other species of pokemon.

Also, as someone familiar with insect systematics, paras has the wrong mouthparts to be closely related to nincada.

Oh Awkward Zombie, you crack me up:

Wait a second, she has a point. Why aren't your Pokemon affected by Repels?
Repel is only effective for up to the lead Pokemon in your party's level, so maybe that has something to do with it? As your Pokemon are the baseline as to what is considered "weak" wild Pokemon, (anything lower leveled than your lead) they're not bothered by it... somehow. Alternatively, you could question why stationary Pokemon aren't affected. (I could imagine Kyurem in the Giant Chasm giving the equivalent of "Wear off your Repel first, kid.")

Last edited:
Maybe the repel is some kind of conductor for your own Pokemon's scent, which in some manner conveys their strength level. Weaker Pokemon detect it being diffused through the air and choose to stay away, while stronger ones aren't deterred from a challenge.
That would make sense as to why Pokemon aren't just totally killing each other all the time too considering they attack you and why it's very rare to find like level 5 Pokemon in the same area as like level 55 Pokemon.

Somehow the smell mimics the strength of your lead Pokemon and so those at a lower level are scared off while those at a higher level aren't phased and thus attack you. You can think of yourself as being like a level 1 Pokemon and that's why level 2-100 Pokemon jump out and attack you - all because you don't smell strong.

Maybe the repel is some kind of conductor for your own Pokemon's scent, which in some manner conveys their strength level. Weaker Pokemon detect it being diffused through the air and choose to stay away, while stronger ones aren't deterred from a challenge.
Well, I can't think of anything better.

Perhaps repellent makes you, the trainer, smell like your current pokemon. Like when you buy it, you're just buying the bottles themselves and the pokemart cashier whips up the repellent from... something... from your current party. So when you use the repellent, wild pokemon now know what your party pokemon are, and if they feel the scent is too strong to handle they stay away. Without the repellent, you smell like a human and they get territorial and attack.

Your own pokemon are fine since the stuff is made from their own scent.

...yeah this explanation is kind of weak.

Perhaps repellent makes you, the trainer, smell like your current pokemon. Like when you buy it, you're just buying the bottles themselves and the pokemart cashier whips up the repellent from... something... from your current party. So when you use the repellent, wild pokemon now know what your party pokemon are, and if they feel the scent is too strong to handle they stay away. Without the repellent, you smell like a human and they get territorial and attack.

Your own pokemon are fine since the stuff is made from their own scent.

...yeah this explanation is kind of weak.
Except you may not have any of those Pokemon in your team when you use it, and is sometimes found on the ground. Also doesn't explain HG/SS having your lead follow you practically everywhere not affecting encounters any more than they would in other games that don't let you have your lead out of its ball. (for example Furret which can use several HMs including Surf)

Then again, we don't know how long any Pokemon battle may last, and using the Pokemon's move in the field is usually only a couple seconds, (Surf and Strength aside, but the Pokemon doesn't visibly come and stay out or push the huge boulders around in the case of the latter) perhaps your Pokemon aren't out long enough to really be bothered?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hmm, I just had a thought. We're all assuming the thing actually forcing the Pokemon away is the Repel itself and its made with somehow our Pokemon involved. But what if the Repel is just an amplifier? The repel enhances or makes it easier for wild Pokemon to smell the scent of our party. That would explain why our Pokemon aren't affected by the effects of Repel (they're either smelling the scent of their trainer, trained Pokemon, or the wild Pokemon; none which they are afraid of or won't go up against if their trainer says so), wild Pokemon equal or higher than our Pokemon's level aren't afraid to approach us, how the previous can happen no matter what Pokemon we have on us (and is dependent on what Pokemon we have on us), and why other trainer's Pokemon aren't repelled (a trained Pokemon would probably be used to going up against stronger opponents and with their trainer as their side they're not afraid to accept the challenge).

We can always assume it's this...

In all seriousness though, I think it probably is... something from the highest level Pokemon you have, or it could just be strong smells that Pokemon don't like. I discovered my cats hate orange soap, it could easily be something like that for repels.

Perhaps we're looking at it backwards, and instead of a repellent it's a pacifying agent. It makes pokemon less territorial and less willing to fight. Your pokemon are fine because they can be commanded and forced to fight, same with other trainer pokemon. But wild pokemon only have their own motivations, so the just don't feel like attacking with the repellent active.

However this theory doesn't account for the level scaling. Well, back to the drawing board.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Pokemon has officially released "Machamp secrets" as part of the event "Machamp's Gym" via Pokemon Daisuki Club.
This includes how the "pants" are actually patterns on their skin, and emphasized that Pokemon don't wear clothes.
It also says that Machamps and Conkeldor face intense rivalry when it comes to working for humans.
In the human world, Machamp cafes (similar to maid cafes ) are popular among female humans.

(I think this basically hints that Machamp is getting a Mega)
(And I think this basically encourages Machamp shipping with human females)

Last edited:
Pokemon has officially released "Machamp secrets" as part of the event "Machamp's Gym" via Pokemon Daisuki Club.
This includes how the "pants" are actually patterns on their skin, and emphasized that Pokemon don't wear clothes.
It also says that Machamps and Conkeldor face intense rivalry when it comes to working for humans.
In the human world, Machamp cafes (similar to maid cafes ) are popular among female humans.

So... is the belt an actual belt or something made of bone?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

1. We always knew Pokemon's stance on "clothing" for Pokemon so not surprised. Though as Talpr0ne said does that also go for the belt? Like if the little P wasn't there I'd also be willing to write it off as body markings, but the little P makes it looks a bit more manufactured. Also the Pokedex says its a "power-save belt". Like I'm perfectly willing to believe that it can make more power-save belts, but they don't say anything about it so that's still a mystery. Also you forgot to include the best official image ever:

Yes, this is official artwork of Machamp pointing at its crotch with attention lines to emphasize it. Ladies.

2. Oh, so they're confirming/making canon the rivalry between the Machop and Timburr family. Interesting. Well since Pokemon grow stronger from bonds with humans I guess it would make sense Pokemon who are both good at doing a certain job (in this case construction work) they'd compete for the bond they'd form with their human partners.

3. There's male maid cafes (which I've heard of, heck Pokemon has their own as Cilan, Cress, and Chili were this) with Machamps (and I'm assuming Machokes) as the waiter? Well now, Pokemon always did sort of walk the line with whether some humans found particular Pokemon "appealing" (looking at you, Gardevoir), but this outright confirms it. Though I say that when I remember that in the anime Bianca has a fetish for Pokemon with big muscles:

That said, I don't think this is hinting towards a Mega Machamp. Not that it wouldn't be awesome to have one (though I would call BS if it doesn't get Huge Power as an Ability), but this just seems like a facts they've made just for this "Machamp's Gym" event.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
1. We always knew Pokemon's stance on "clothing" for Pokemon so not surprised. Though as Talpr0ne said does that also go for the belt? Like if the little P wasn't there I'd also be willing to write it off as body markings, but the little P makes it looks a bit more manufactured. Also the Pokedex says its a "power-save belt". Like I'm perfectly willing to believe that it can make more power-save belts, but they don't say anything about it so that's still a mystery. Also you forgot to include the best official image ever:

Yes, this is official artwork of Machamp pointing at its crotch with attention lines to emphasize it. Ladies.

2. Oh, so they're confirming/making canon the rivalry between the Machop and Timburr family. Interesting. Well since Pokemon grow stronger from bonds with humans I guess it would make sense Pokemon who are both good at doing a certain job (in this case construction work) they'd compete for the bond they'd form with their human partners.

3. There's male maid cafes (which I've heard of, heck Pokemon has their own as Cilan, Cress, and Chili were this) with Machamps (and I'm assuming Machokes) as the waiter? Well now, Pokemon always did sort of walk the line with whether some humans found particular Pokemon "appealing" (looking at you, Gardevoir), but this outright confirms it. Though I say that when I remember that in the anime Bianca has a fetish for Pokemon with big muscles:

That said, I don't think this is hinting towards a Mega Machamp. Not that it wouldn't be awesome to have one (though I would call BS if it doesn't get Huge Power as an Ability), but this just seems like a facts they've made just for this "Machamp's Gym" event.
Thanks for posting all the canon images. You are linking them up very well.

I'm just ... thinking that the Officials have been focusing on Machamp quite a lot recently. You know, there's Pokken, and the tournament, and then this Machamp's Gym thing. It reminds me of the Slowpoke's day, which then lead to Slowbro having a Mega.
Normally, if they choose one Pokemon to focus on so much, that Pokemon gets a Mega in the next games.

I think Machamp's belt could be man-made. Belts aren't considered clothing... at least in Japanese, they aren't.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Thanks for posting all the canon images. You are linking them up very well.

I'm just ... thinking that the Officials have been focusing on Machamp quite a lot recently. You know, there's Pokken, and the tournament, and then this Machamp's Gym thing. It reminds me of the Slowpoke's day, which then lead to Slowbro having a Mega.
Normally, if they choose one Pokemon to focus on so much, that Pokemon gets a Mega in the next games.

I think Machamp's belt could be man-made. Belts aren't considered clothing... at least in Japanese, they aren't.
Only one of those images are canon. The Machamp vs. Conkeldurr is just awesome looking fanart. I suppose the gifs are also official but they're from the anime.

Okay then, as I said I would like to see a Mega Machamp since there's plenty of potential... well actually there's really only one route for it. Come one boosted Attack and Huge Power (I mean come on, it's called "Muscle Man" in Japan)!

However I do hope they give more Gen V Pokemon some Mega Evos.

\
\

They might be right about "wild Machamp" or something like "they don't normally", although it's not like Gamefreak has never flip-flopped on details before.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

They might be right about "wild Machamp" or something, although it's not like Gamefreak has never flip-flopped on details before.
That's their trainers dressing them up. Pokemon themselves don't wear clothes naturally.

These guys/gals? All naked.

Huh? What's that? You two and your evolutions make and wear clothes? Well Scrafty you're just wearing your old skin like a pair of pants and a hood so I question whether that counts (and if I should be grossed out by it). And Leavanny you're clothes are made of leafs, how's that suppose to be covering up anything without causing rashes in unmentionable places? I'm talking about fabric here, not Tarzan's idea for a wardrobe.

I think of the "clothing" on most pokemon as the way Sylveon's ribbon-things are occasionally described as: sort of like feeling appendages that are actually part of their body. Imagine being pimp-slapped by the ones trailing off of Mega Medicham's arms/back/wherever.

Also, picture Slowking as a mutated Dilophosaurus from Jurassic Park. Same skin/appendage idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)