Other SMOGON NOMIC (PROPOSAL PHASE 18)

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

While the voting sheet might not accurately reflect which users are currently in the game, it should accurately reflect which votes were made. If I made a mistake, please notify me immediately.

New rules as a result of these votes:

7: Rules from proposal phase 7.

7.1: Speed things up a teeny-tiny bit
Each turn, the leading player gains 1 point. If there's a tie, all players who are in the lead will receive this point

7.2: Three is a Magic Number
Until a winner is declared, there must always be at least three active players for the advance to the next phase. Should there be an occurrence where there are only two active players to end the round, the hosts will have 48 hours to find a sub. Should the hosts fail to find a sub in this time period, the last player(s) to be eliminated will be allowed to return to the game as if they had not lost in the first place.

Thetwinmasters 1 point
PokeguyNXB 1 point
ButteredToast 1 point
Pidge 1 point
Izhuark 1 point
Walrein 1 point
Da Letter El 1 point
Leethoof 1 point
Phione 1 point
brightobject 1 point
sunny004 1 point
More Cowbell 1 point and appears to not have taken action, but will not yet face repercussions

As per rule 7.1, everyone currently has 1 point.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Still answer the questionnaire if you want but I'm just gonna post the idea I've been thinking about:

So the game would work on a few levels:

First, everyone would have a hand of cards with various abilities. Cards could do things such as:
  1. Little Miss Popular: Gain +3 for every player who votes for your proposal, -1 for everyone who votes against it
  2. Negative Nancy: Gain +2 for everyone who votes against your proposal, -1 for everyone who votes for it. Every player who votes for it gains +1. If it passes, the rule does not take effect.
  3. Peeping Tom: See what card a given player plays during the next cycle prior to voting.
  4. Be The Star: If your proposal is the most voted for proposal, gain +15
  5. Anonymous Nomic-mus: All proposals during this cycle will not display what user proposed a given proposal. If more than one of this card is played, all anonymous cards fail and proposals will be made public.
  6. I'm feeling lucky: Guess even or odd. If the amount of votes for your proposal is what you guessed, gain +2 for every vote for your proposal. If it is not, -1 for every vote for your proposal
  7. Get out the vote: +1 for every player that votes
  8. Likable Legislator: +2 for every proposal that you vote for which passes, -1 for every proposal that you did not vote for which passes.
We would either send these to the hosts or we would rotate who is the "card czar" to use a Cards Against Humanity idea -- and have one player be in charge of determining point values for a given cycle. This could either be a benefit to whomever had the "best" proposal in the last cycle or simply rotate off some arbitrary basis and have no benefits.

So while we send in proposals, we would also send in (either to the hosts or a rotated party in the game) what "card" we are playing from a set of predetermined cards. This would determine the points we get from our proposals. This allows for strategy in planning what sort of proposal we craft. Most of the cards should reward proposing "good" proposals, as well as for voting for "good" proposals, but being able to have some limited options in preventing people from just approving obvious rules or incentivizing always voting yes would be good too.

Second, I feel as though we should reward "good" proposals and players who are putting effort into the game. In our voting of proposals, we should put a star next to the proposal we most like or appreciate effort in to receive some number of points. While this does open up some space for collusion, we can include a punishment mechanism for voting players if the most "popular" proposal does not pass, as an example. This would encourage players to work with others to come up with rules that we can agree are "good for the game" to have a better chance of getting this bonus.

We can easily incorporate other elements into this game or discuss what sorts of "cards" we would want to have access to.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
1. Simple or complex games?
I enjoy both with varying degrees. For a game like this though, I would prefer that we start with a simple game and then slowly build up to a more complex game, and not jump into a game with 18 different components.

2. Besides pokemon, what are 3 video games that you enjoy(ed) playing or could see yourself enjoying from what others have mentioned?
My favorite 3 video games are Fire Emblem (specifically the Tellius series), MLB The Show (Franchise Mode w/ 30-Team Control), and Paper Mario. But I enjoy a wide spectrum of different games.

3. Are there any board games or forum games that you enjoy(ed) playing or could see yourself enjoying from what others have mentioned?
I play chess competitively and have done a bit of risk and monopoly online competitively. I'm also pretty good at card games. Slowly have been wanting to get more and more into the Mafia scene here on smogon too.

4. Do you enjoy strategy games?
Yes.

5. Are there any sports or other competitive activities that you enjoy(ed) or could enjoy participating in from what others have mentioned?

Chess and baseball.

5. How many people do you believe would be the maximum amount of people that you would feel comfortable allowing to "win" this game?

One. Should there be a tie between people, there should be a tie breaker to determine one winner.

6. What would it take for you to believe that someone "deserved" to win in nomic?
Time investment and creativity. If you don't show up to play in rounds, you shouldn't really be allowed to win. That said, having a game with heavy time investment should be avoided. One of the things I like about Mafia is that it takes a few minutes to continue to play the game with voting and sending in actions. Yet should you put in more time to plan/strategize/look for information, your odds of victory are slightly increased.

1. Complex. Simple games are too... Simple. (They often end without a sense of real reward)
2. Team Fortress 2, CS:GO, Fallout 4 (Runner-up - Chivalry: Medieval Warfare)
TF2 because of the class balancing system; no one class is overpowered, so teamwork is required to win. CS:GO because of the strategies you can execute while in matchmaking, which allows for in-depth gameplay. Fallout 4 because of the multiple paths you can choose in the game; I guess this goes for all Bethesda games but Fallout 4 is the latest example. Finally, Chivalry:MW by the sheer amount of skill needed to play well.
3. Diplomacy, Monopoly, Mafia (Forum, or on Town of Salem if I'm short on time)
All three involve some sort of planning ahead, and even though Monopoly is more luck-based, I still enjoy playing it because even the unluckiest player has a shot at winning.
4. Yes.
5. Really more of a science guy so anything involving STEM is cool, maybe robotics or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
6. Three maximum. I feel large teams kinda ruins the whole "chaos" element of Nomic.
7. Someone that actually allows votes to pass that lets people score points, even if it may be detrimental to them. A really good nomic player can learn to adapt to new situations.

Da Letter El

If people could get on irc today to talk about the game it would be pretty cool

EDIT: I will be back on irc at around 2:30 CST (GMT -6), aka about 2 hours from this edit

Last edited:
Important questions:
2. Besides pokemon, what are 3 video games that you enjoy(ed) playing or could see yourself enjoying from what others have mentioned?
3. Are there any board games or forum games that you enjoy(ed) playing or could see yourself enjoying from what others have mentioned?
5. Are there any sports or other competitive activities that you enjoy(ed) or could enjoy participating in from what others have mentioned?
6. How many people do you believe would be the maximum amount of people that you would feel comfortable allowing to "win" this game?
7. What would it take for you to believe that someone "deserved" to win in nomic?
1.Complex BUT i do enjoy simple games and maybe it would be more easy to start with simple gameplay for our very first nomic experience.
2.Fire Emblem, Super Robot Taisen, Castlevania (more precisely the sorrow serie)
3. I love Roleplaying (/Tabletop rpg) irl or forum based (even though i have near to no experience in both of those domain), Forum Mafia (even tought i suck at mafia and that mafia sucks)and cardgames either collectible or classics like games around a 54 card deck or a tarot deck.
4. Yes I do espcially turn based ones, real-time give me not enough time to think and ask too much micro management^^
5. I do not practice any sports for now and debates often frustrate me because i'm too kind to enforce my opinion on others or lose all my credibility when at least one of my interlocutors is agressive and over-confident in his way of talking... :/
6 & 7. I don't think this play should be played to win (or at least i do not play it to win). It think it's a game of creativity where we build all together another game and such the notion of winner is for me kinda meaningless with this game compared to actively helping to create. Anyway if someone really need to win it would be not by playing against and manipulating rules but actually win the game we are all building together but the ones that should really feel rewarded are those who helped the most building it.

Complex
Dota 2 Witcher 3 Smash
Mafia
Yes
Football and mtg
6. How many people do you believe would be the maximum amount of people that you would feel comfortable allowing to "win" this game?
1-3

Wayan Vistar

formerly Flyhn
Alrighty, I'll give these questions a shot.

1) Both. I tend to enjoy games that are simple to play, but if you want to get REALLY good, it becomes more complex (why do you think i like pokemon so much?)
2) I play Smash, Splatoon, and TF2 quite frequently, and am able to stand up to most adults that play them (excluding Smash, some of the skilled players there are just insane)
3) Hm, clue, monopoly, and sorry are my favorite board games, and card games, cards against humanity as well as the more family-friendly apples to apples are extremely fun to play
4) Most of the time. I've played Civ 5, Starcraft 2 and Fire Emblem Awakening and enjoy them greatly, though each is a very different strategic experience
5) If i were more physically able, i'd probably be playing a lot of football (i used to play the madden games during the xbox 360's life cycle). But i'm not, so competitively I play in some online Smash tournaments
6) About 2 or 3
7) Someone who remains active in the game as much as possible, and is an excellent strategic thinker

Both, depends on my mood.
Civ 5, Undertale, Smash
Mafia, Catan, some others.
Yes.
No.

Wayan Vistar

formerly Flyhn
Hmm... i'm starting to get ideas for cards if DLE's idea becomes a reality, but for now, i'll attempt to implement a system that will be able to operate separately from the cards, and can easily be amended later to affect cards too should that ruleset pass. (Perhaps a card that grants this ability's free use that turn?)

PROPOSAL: Roll to Dodge

My Rtd game in firebot has fallen, and bumping it now would likely land me in firebansville again. So let's add a mechanic from it. Each player can choose a user to target with this once in the entire game. Then, the host rolls a 1d6 "Roll to Dodge" for this target, with the following results:
1 - [DEAD] The target loses ALL of their points. If they have negative points, their point total is doubled. Ouch!
2 - [MUTILATED] The target loses half of their points. (round down) If they have negative points, multiply their total by 1.5 (also round down)
3 - [INJURED] The target loses one quarter of their points. (round down) If they have negative points, multiply their total by 1.25 (also round down)
4 - [MISS] No effect
5 - [STAGGER] The target is now more aware of attacks and is immune to other attempts of this action targeted towards them for the rest of this and the next cycle
6 - [COUNTER] The target gains a free use of this action that is then immediately used on the player who targeted them, forcing THEM to Roll to Dodge!

You may think this is overpowered, but this event is extremely luck-based, it's possible that you could lose all of your points instead! (unlikely, but possible). You take a huge risk, but if it pays off, it could flip the leaderboard on its head (or drive a losing player even further behind)! And it's a one-time use, so you need to think carefully before using it. I personally believe that a game with at least a few luck-based elements makes it more exiting, as anything could happen.

Yes, this is a legit proposal this cycle. You can cut out everything before the proposal title and after the explanation of the different results of each role when quoting it for the list of proposals

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
PROPOSAL: Maybe this will open up some options for later
Each player gains 10 hit points at the time of this rule's passage. There is no cap to how many hit points a player can have. If a player's hit points reach zero, they lose all of their points and can no longer gain hit points.

The swag survey
1. Simple, and most of the complexity comes from other players skill rather than the game itself
2. Tf2, Mario kart, smash. I like goofy supercasual multi-player games - a bunch of fun with friends from weird situations and pocket strategies (and stylized graphics A+++), but on your own you can still improve.
3. Big 2 is the best card game, irl mafia is the second best, that new(ish) star wars rpg. I like the simplicity of the first two from functioning off of a regular deck of cards and a 3 min explanation/explain as you go rulesets. I like how big 2 is much more engaging than say, war or go fish. Also I like star wars.
4. Like 6.5/10 enjoyment units, usually they are too slow to get into.
5. Ultimate (whatever is available), running. Im not particularly coordinated, so this is the extent of my sports.
6. One player should win. This makes alliances and ganging up on people all the more exciting, because eventually someone is going to have to backstab.

Now swag proposal
Proposal: meat
If a player votes no on a proposal relating to "explain yourself if you vote no on proposals" it counts as a yes. This rule counts as in effect for the voting phase it is voted in.

Look like it's time for the comeback of the my most popular proposal : The 54 CARD DECK~ !

Rule proposal : Base Decks
There are 4 shuffled classic 54 card deck (4 suits (heart, spade,club,Diamond) + 2 joker(one red and one black))
Player must start with 5 cards each by drawing them starting from the top player on the list.
Drawing features and playing features will be decided in later rules.
Effects of the cards will be decided in later rules BUT a player to add or change effect of cards must affect a whole suit or a whole value in their proposal (eg : all the jacks or all the spades). Exception : Jokers effect can be changed freely in a proposal

Last edited:

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Look like it's time for the comeback of the my most popular proposal : The 54 CARD DECK~ !

There are 4 shuffled classic 54 card deck (4 suits (heart, spade,club,Diamond) + 2 joker(one red and one black))
Player must start with 5 cards each by doing a snake draft starting from the top player on the list.
Effects of the cards will be decided in later rules BUT a player to add or change effect of cards must affect a whole suit or a whole value in their proposal (eg : all the jacks or all the spades). Exception : Jokers effect can be changed freely in a proposal
I don't understand the snake draft, aren't cards just randomly given/drawn?

Last edited:

Da Letter El

Would strongly disagree with luck based drawing of cards. Snake draft lets players think strategically about what kinds of abilities they want their hand to hold, and I'm not sure how to administer a "random" deck drawing anyway

Please vote yes for this... PLEASE!
Proposal: Bottom Gurl

Everyone currently in this game (Excluding sunny004, otherwise this rule wouldn't make any sense), and any new players entering this game must change (or add to) their signature to:

I am sunny004's bottom girl. Put this in your sig if you are too.

Players that fail to do so will lose ten (10) points each phase that they are in violation of this rule.

Last edited:

Pidge

('◇')

Player must start with 5 cards each by doing a snake draft starting from the top player on the list.
I don't understand the snake draft, aren't cards just randomly given
Would strongly disagree with luck based drawing of cards. Snake draft lets players think strategically about what kinds of abilities they want their hand to hold, and I'm not sure how to administer a "random" deck drawing anyway
Random drawing would involve something like a spreadsheet listing all the cards in the deck and using a random number generator. It would require some work for the hosts. And I don't have any major objections to a draft, but it just confuses me since none of these cards have effects right now anyway.

Okay changed it i myself, i didn't understood the concept of snake draft and i'm not the kind of person to say "random is bad"; random is good and make things more exciting plus it will push people to rule strategize with their starting hand rather than choosing basically blank cards.

EDIT : (19:33 GMT) I'm on irc right now if people want to talk about it and how to make my proposal better.

Proposal: Four Kingdoms
On passage, every player must announce their affiliation to one of the four eukaryote kingdoms: animals, plants, fungi, and protists. Their avatar must reflect this. The effects on gameplay will be decided in future resolutions.

Pidge

('◇')
Proposal: Passcode
When this proposal is passed, each player must PM the host(s) a 6 digit number; this is their passcode. This passcode may be used in the future. Future players must create a passcode and send the hosts it as well.

Last edited:
Kind of need to idle this phase because of two huge exams tomorrow. Also am kinda unsure what phase we're technically in. @_@

Proposal: Idling
Should a player choose not to post a rule during the proposal phase, they may opt to idle the round by posting their intentions in the thread. Players cannot choose to idle in the voting phase. Should a player idle, they will not incur any penalties for inactivity.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm kind of firing updates when it appears like there's been enough activity to justify one rather than at an official rate. If anyone's got a problem with that, let me know.

I'm going to be working on an update right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)