Serious US Election Thread (read post #2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep hearing that Rand Paul is the best republican candidate and the best candidate overall, and as European media coverage about the American elections is quite poor(they talk almost exclusively about Trump), I would like to hear American's opinions about Rand Paul and why he seems to be a good candidate for president. The only thing I know about him is that he's the only one that doesn't seem to behave like a clown.

Reactions: JES

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
talpr0ne said:
I keep hearing that Rand Paul is the best republican candidate and the best candidate overall, and as European media coverage about the American elections is quite poor(they talk almost exclusively about Trump), I would like to hear American's opinions about Rand Paul and why he seems to be a good candidate for president. The only thing I know about him is that he's the only one that doesn't seem to behave like a clown.
He isn't really - he has the name association w/ Daddy Ron Paul (who was different) but he's really realigned as a more traditional Republican candidate, though his talking points hinge more on individual liberties and the constitution than some of the other candidates', who mainly focus on popular-appeal reactionary bullshit (read: racism etc). But he does seem to listen, think, and adapt - three qualities (probably) good in a president and (unfortunately) lacking in the current field; the only other adapters might be Jeb and Hilliary, Jeb because he needs to change the Bush Family Platform slightly to run as a 2016 Republican and Hilliary because that's mostly what she does. As for why else ppl like him in particular, he doesnt seem a blowhard like many others in the field - he makes being Conservative seem smart (this may seem oxymoronic if you are a strong democrat, but I dont think it is) and a lot of people can lose that faith watching Trump Cruz et al race-bait and spit garbage even hardcore Republicans know to be false. The idea of him as "best overall candidate" is obviously a matter of political leanings, as you're probably not going to sway a Bernie supporter (SteelEdges ;]) with calm, rational conservative arguments, but there's a case to be made he is the best Republican candidate, maybe also with Kasich, who is willing to take the reasonable steps of not dismantling several government programs, working with people of different views, accepting things when they come to him, etc.

SteelEdges

Banned deucer.
I consider myself a Sanders fan, as Shrug stated, but I don't think he has a prayer at winning the election. The Dems are throwing everything behind Clinton, and quite frankly I'm surprised O'Malley is still kicking.

I'm a Canadian but can tell you that Rand Paul is just as much of a clown as guys like Trump. Only difference is that instead of trying to appeal to neocon establishment types, Paul appeals to inconsistent libertarians. You should see hos "audit the fed" rhetoric back in 2012

...the ad almost sounds like a warning, like "don't do Trump, kids".

...but seriously, stay away from Trump, kids. It's bad for you. And everyone else.

I find it pathetic how everything still revolves around oil. It's like a drug that we all need to get off of.

Humoring (e.g., excessive discussion/promotion of his campaign) is a factor in why Trump is so popular. The counterpart, in a way, is also true: Sanders receives minimal coverage and therefore has much less momentum...

Speaking of which, Sanders gave a decent speech about banks a day after that ad was posted to YouTube:

It's worthwhile, unlike Trump's ad and his overall toxic rhetoric.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)