Pokkén Tournament

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm also hoping for Meowth, its sort of the secondary/villain mascot of the anime).
Honestly if they were planning on putting something like that in, I bet it would be wobbuffet (as a support mon) due to it most likely being able to end combos and bounce back damage done to it while acting as a shield. Would be a pretty neat support mon for these long range pokemon if it ever becomes a thing.

Also, still waiting for the obligatory bear fighter lol

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Honestly if they were planning on putting something like that in, I bet it would be wobbuffet (as a support mon) due to it most likely being able to end combos and bounce back damage done to it while acting as a shield. Would be a pretty neat support mon for these long range pokemon if it ever becomes a thing.

Also, still waiting for the obligatory bear fighter lol
How about Meowth as a fighter and Wobbuffet as a Support, that makes more sense.

As for a bear fighter, well we got 5 options:

(though if we were to go off Tekken fighters the choice is between Snorlax/Ursaring/Beartic and Spinda/Pangoro since there's a bear and panda)

Have we actually ever looked through the list of Tekken fighters and made parallel assumptions?

How about Meowth as a fighter and Wobbuffet as a Support, that makes more sense.

As for a bear fighter, well we got 5 options:

(though if we were to go off Tekken fighters the choice is between Snorlax/Ursaring/Beartic and Spinda/Pangoro since there's a bear and panda)

Have we actually ever looked through the list of Tekken fighters and made parallel assumptions?
Well, we have this post by Awu

Here are my thoughts about the playable characters

PIKACHU

Pikachu will definitely be top tier in Pokken Tournament game. Indeed Pikachu is very fast and strong in melee. It can even using moves like Electro Ball which allows Pikachu to keep a pressure by the distance. What makes Pikachu so powerful ? It is all about its starting combo moves. We can notice the fact that Pikachu has access to some Heihachi's moves, who is one of the strongest playable character in the Tekken games. Pikachu has access to Hell Axle which is Heihachi double air kick move but it also has access to Dragon Uppercut, which is the strongest Heihachi move. If we take a look at the starting combo moves, Pikachu can use the Spinning Demon and also the Wind God Fist which is a very famous move in Heihachi movelist when you want to start a combo. All of these moves are powerful and make Pikachu very dangerous in the Pokken Tournament game. Combinated with a fluidity in the battle, Pikachu will definitely be one of the strongest characters, but also one of the easiest to main in my opinion. It will be a strong character that could fit very well for casual players.

BLAZIKEN

Blaziken looks very interesting in its way of making combos. Its movelist seems to be mainly composed by kicks moves and Blaziken reminds me a lot of Hwoarang, a famous Tekken character that is practicing Taekwondo. Blaziken is fast and has an impressive strength. It also has access to a mega evolution which makes it even more dangerous. I really think that Blaziken could be one of the most interesting character in Pokken Tournament just by the fact that it can make fluid and fast combos, whether air or land. I hope it will not hard to play, as Hwoarang is, because I would really enjoy to play Blaziken.

GARDEVOIR

The main problem of these kind of games is that front and melee moves have a huge advantage. Gardevoir has, in my opinion, a limit in that game because it can only make a pressure by distance. Gardevoir melee moves are mostly made to protect itself. However, Gardevoir can make a huge pressure by distance. It has access to some powerful moves such as Moonblast and Magical Leaf. The player will need to be very good to main Gardevoir and to be able to make a pressure by distance to the opponent.

WEAVILE

Weavile is my favorite character in Pokken Tournament, it will be the first that I will play with. Weavile is known to have very good Atk and Speed stats. It is confirmed in Pokken Tournament, Weavile is strong and very fast. All its combos are fluid and it can also make some ice traps on the field, which allow Weavile to be able to make a pressure in a specific area. I don't know why but it reminds me a lot of Wolf in Super Smash Bros. I also really enjoy how Weavile dodges in Pokken.

SUICUNE

Like Gardevoir, Suicune is very strong with making a pressure by distance. However, the main difference between Gardevoir and Suicune is that Suicune is able to fight in melee also. It has a very nice move that can protect itself on 360 degrees which allows Suicune to repel the opponent and be able to attack him by distance. Yet, I think that Suicune will be quite difficult to main, that's the problem with characters that make a main pressure by distance.

GENGAR

I really thought that regular Gengar was slow at the beginning but I was wrong. Gengar is powerful and has awesome moves such as Hypnosis or Shadow Punch. It looks like it can also use Shadow Sneak. Gengar is able to make a direct pressure to the opponent even if he is far away by using the Shadow Punch move that can be used by distance and also in melee. Gengar has access to its Mega evolution and its special move (looks like Dream Eater) is very strong. It literally remove more than 250 HP to a Weavile, which is massive. Its regular moves are very strong however, Mega Gengar is slow as I thought. Gengar has access to solid moves, looks strong and funny but I don't think I would play it personally.

CHARIZARD

I wasn't really surprised to see Charizard as a playable character in Pokken Tournament. It has some moves from Super Smash Bros and can also make a pressure by distance by using fire balls that can be charged. It also has access to its mega evolution X however I find Charizard very low in this game. I found it low in Super Smash Bros aswell, I'm not really fan of Charizard even if it looks powerful.

LUCARIO

Lucario is truly amazing in Pokken Tournament. Indeed it has a very fluid melee moves and it is very fast. Lucario is also able to use Aura spheres which can be charged just like in Super Smash Bros which make it even more dangerous. Lucario is faster in Pokken than in SSB in my opinion and I find it great because Lucario originally needed to be like that. Lucario can make fantastics dodges and isn't heavy, which means that it can easily jump and then be able to own the area. I don't think that Lucario will be hard to main, however it would probably be difficult to make combos but this is what makes Lucario interesting. It also has access to its mega evolution, which just make it more powerful. Lucario will definitely be part of the top characters in the Pokken Tournament in my opinion.

MACHAMP

Machamp reminds me a lot of a mix of wrestling Tekken characters. It has access to some King and Craig Marduk moves which are really strong in Tekken. Machamp isn't fast, just like Marduk but its strenght is really incredible. Certainly the best in melee, if the opponent is trapped in a corner by Machamp, you are sure that Machamp would totally own it. However like I said before, Machamp is quite slow, which is always a problem against fast Pokemons such as Weavile or Lucario. I think that Machamp could be part of the best characters but it will have to be played perfectly due to its lack of speed in its combos and movements.

PIKACHU LIBRE

Pikachu Libre is way different than regular Pikachu. Indeed, it makes a lot of wrestling moves and isn't faster as regular Pikachu. I'm really not interested in that character to be honest, but I think it could be difficult to main because I don't see a lot of combos from this character, it is more like wresting powerful moves but that's all what Pikachu Libre can really do. However, I really like the wink they did with the Tekken character Jaycee, who is available in Tekken Tag Tournament 2 because the wrestling moves are very similar to her.

Jaycee

King

Marduk

Hwoarang

Heihachi
This post back here made some parallelisms between Pokken Tournament moves with Tekken moves

Amiibo support is indeed a thing; though it doesn't mean it'll go beyond that one shadow mewtwo card. I really hope it does tho and I'd love my Mewtwo amiibo to work with it; I can see them working in the same way as Smash's amiibo functions do.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
If it does get full amiibo support, there is no reason why the ones made for Smash shouldn't be compatible. Smash amiibo of Mario characters work with Mario Party, while Fire Emblem amiibo work with Fire Emblem: Fates and Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.

Last edited:
Ooh, I wasn't even thinking about Amiibos for it! That would be awesome!
If it does get full amiibo support, there is no reason why the ones made for Smash shouldn't be compatible. Smash amiibo of Mario characters would with Mario Party, while Fire Emblem amiibo work with Fire Emblem: Fates and Code Name: S.T.E.A.M.
It would be cool to get full figure ones of like Gengar, Suicune and co but I feel like that falls into wish listing.

I know there are cards for the arcade which let you save character builds which work the same as the Smash amiibos...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hey, I know it's kind of late bringing this up, but I didn't think of it until today.

Shadow Mewtwo has similarities with the Shadow Pokemon from the Colosseum games:

1. Shadow Mewtwo's name mirrors that of a Shadow Pokemon (in Japan they were called "Dark Pokemon" since their Dark-type is called Evil-type. Likewise, Shadow Mewtwo's Japanese name is "Dark Mewtwo").
2. Shadow Mewtwo's design isn't too far off from Shadow Lugia's in both term of color scheme and how they look slightly different from the original (Shadow Mewtwo has that orange spike coming out of its shoulder, Shadow Lugia's eye crests are differently shaped).

Now all of it could and likely is coincidence, but still it would be kind of a neat if they explain Shadow Mewtwo's existence by bringing in Cipher and explaining its a new Shadow Pokemon experiment they've been working on since they went underground.

HOLY SHIT DUDES
LLLLLLLLLLLLLETS GET READY TO RUMBLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!

With this game coming soon, would Pokeen be treated in this tournament as if all of them are playing it for the first time ala The Super Smash Bros Wii U Invitational tournament 2 years ago?

However, my intrigue for this one is if ALL the characters that are official so far will have enough diverse fighting styles for its first time official release in pre- tournament? Heck, how would the battles pan out for Pokken possessing game mechanics both from Arena based and Traditional Platform mechanics? Would most kills happen in 3D or 2D? Or would picking a low tier character literally gives you no chance of winning at all like what Melee is compared to SSB4?

Karxrida

Chandelure Trailer, though the quality's kind of shit because it's a fan upload. Expect an official one soon.
It's so adorable.

The game was also at the NicoNico event that showcased the Corrin vs. Bayonetta Smash footage. Apparently Gengar is top tier because 4 of the 8 players were using it, with three of them getting past Round 1 and it was the overall winner. The other players were 2 Machamp, a Weavile, and a Blaziken, with one Machamp getting to the final round.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Chandelure Trailer, though the quality's kind of shit because it's a fan upload. Expect an official one soon.
It's so adorable.

The game was also at the NicoNico event that showcased Corrin and Bayonetta Smash footage. Apparently Gengar is top tier because 4 of the 8 players were using it, with three of them getting past Round 1 and the overall winner using it. The other players were 2 Machamp, a Weavile, and a Blaziken, with one Machamp getting to the final round.
Ahh, it sounds so happy as its beating you mercilessly. I like how it hangs in the air by creating by creating a chain of fire, that's a clever idea.

Do you think they'll patch it to try and balance Pokemon they are seeing becoming too OP?

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow Chandelure has Minimize as a dodging move. There's definitely a few members on the dev team that play rated battles.

Is it just me or is Chandelure completely psychologically unhinged? There's something really creepy about it that I can't put my finger on.

Karxrida

I'm hoping they don't dub the voices and retain the Japanese ones, or at least leave out the Pokemon Speak. It's probably one of the stupidest parts of the franchise.

I'm hoping they don't dub the voices and retain the Japanese ones, or at least leave out the Pokemon Speak. It's probably one of the stupidest parts of the franchise.
We have Pokemon Speak in Super Smash Bros so I don't no why it wouldn't be in this. It is stupid but it's part of the franchise now - it gets exempted under the Grandfather Clause (assuming you know what I'm talking about there since you use TVTropes language all the time).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)