Pokkén Tournament

To be fair, 16 fighters is plenty for the first entry of a fighting game. Maybe in Pokken Tournament 2 (Remember, this is based on Tekken not Street Fighter so there will be no Super Pokken Tournament or anything else like that) we'll see more. The only people who will be disappointed are those who have no favorite Pokemon represented.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I'm just happy to see more things represented than "bipedal fighting types" like I was originally expecting. Suicune and chandelure are cool to have.

I still think gengar's model is atrocious though.

Gotta remember support Pokemon as well so I think we are up in the 40s of Pokemon seen for the first game

EDIT: Based on the above, 46 Pokemon in the game

I just saw the early-access tournament post. I am so totally gonna head out to Plano next weekend for some sweet, sweet ferrum battles.

Yeah! I saw the early-access tournament post, too. Finally, a Pokemon fighting game! I bet a lot of kids thought Pokemon was going to have more fighting and/or action mechanics when they first picked it up, right ;)?

With the game coming out soon, which of the burst mode specials do you find the most Fatal? Like, Poke-friendly Version of Mortal Kombat Kind if Fatality?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
With the game coming out soon, which of the burst mode specials do you find the most Fatal? Like, Poke-friendly Version of Mortal Kombat Kind if Fatality?
What? All of them are Poke-friendly. If I were to award them:

Most Awesome: Shadow Mewtwo
Most Brutal: Machamp
Most Adorable: Braixen
Most Flashy: Gardevoir
Most Creepiest: Chandlure (Gengar close behind, though that has some comedy to it)
Most Disappointing: Charizard (though that's probably because of my high expectation for my favorite Pokemon)

What? All of them are Poke-friendly. If I were to award them:

Most Awesome: Shadow Mewtwo
Most Brutal: Machamp
Most Adorable: Braixen
Most Flashy: Gardevoir
Most Creepiest: Chandlure (Gengar close behind, though that has some comedy to it)
Most Disappointing: Charizard (though that's probably because of my high expectation for my favorite Pokemon)
For this list, I can agree with it. However, here is my take:

Top 1: Chandelure (she is very much the sadistic grim reaper of this game. She's like, after getting your pokemon's sou at really low HP, "Oh here is your soul! [then extinguishes the fire] NOW YOU ARE DEAD!)
Top 2: Machamp (1000 hit combo of that burst finisher? Why weren't you the poster boy of this game?)
Top 3: Sceptile (Once you are wrapped by his frenzy plant, you may not get up again. Like Gaara in the Naruto Games)

So...... Pokken releases in four days......
Hype?

Some of the more popular PokeTubers already have copies, and are currently saying good stuff about it.
It looks pretty sweet, like one of those "gotta buy the console just to play the game" type games.

So the reviews are out, and I have to confess: The reason I knew the embargo is because I reviewed it. (Holding the score until the day 1 patch and full online.)
You better commit a lot of time on this game before giving the final verdict. Not be the kind of reviewer that only plays it for an hour and judge it because I just watched Shofu's review on this game who committed more than a week on this game so far. I'm gonna watch GameXplain's review next.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Serebii got the game an has been reporting stuff.
  • You have to do singleplayer to unlock Supports and stages. The order for Supports appears to be random going off of Serebii's notes.
  • amiibo give you purely cosmetic stuff (much of which is exclusive) like titles or costume pieces 5 times a day. Any amiibo works.
  • That said, you can unlock titles and cosmetics normally. Apparently, there are a ton of choices.
  • Nia (the annoying announcer lady) gets new skills or something you can unlock. Serebii wasn't clear on what these do.
  • Mewtwo is unlocked by beating Shadow Mewtwo in the story after beating the Red League. Shadow Mewtwo is unlocked by beating the Chroma League.
  • Machamp and his partner are the final boss or something of the story mode.

Last edited:
Serebii got the game an has been reporting stuff.
  • You have to do singleplayer to unlock Supports and stages. The order for Supports appears to be random going off of Serebii's notes.
  • amiibo give you purely cosmetic stuff (much of which is exclusive) like titles or costume pieces 5 times a day. Any amiibo works.
  • That said, you can unlock titles and cosmetics normally. Apparently, there are a ton of choices.
  • Nia (the annoying announcer lady) gets new skills or something you can unlock. Serebii wasn't clear on what these do.
  • Mewtwo is unlocked by beating Shadow Mewtwo in the story after beating the Red League. Shadow Mewtwo is unlocked by beating the Chroma League.
  • Machamp and his partner are the final boss or something of the story mode.
That's great and all; but it'd be nice if you could spoiler tag things especially when the game isn't even out yet.

I'm excited about this game but it still annoys me that we only have 16 characters with two of those being skins when they have literally over 700 to pick from.

I'm excited about this game but it still annoys me that we only have 16 characters with two of those being skins when they have literally over 700 to pick from.
Even though Shadow Mewtwo and Pikachu-Libre have completely different movesets and fighting styles compared to Mewtwo and Pikachu

Even though Shadow Mewtwo and Pikachu-Libre have completely different movesets and fighting styles compared to Mewtwo and Pikachu
And? From what I've seen they aren't that different and neither of us have played so? It's not like having Rotom or Alakazam as characters.

For the Shadow Mewtwo / Pikachu Libre, no comment ! But having 16 characters so well animated and each of them having different personalities and playstyles, 16 characters for a first Battle pokemon game is very good. Super Smash Bros Brawl have ... 35 characters ? But it's a long time series !

For the Shadow Mewtwo / Pikachu Libre, no comment ! But having 16 characters so well animated and each of them having different personalities and playstyles, 16 characters for a first Battle pokemon game is very good. Super Smash Bros Brawl have ... 35 characters ? But it's a long time series !
Just think that out of 700+ you could have at least touched every type or at least gone to 20. Pokemon like Muk, Scizor, Abomasnow, Smeargle, Kangaskhan, etc could have had really interesting and different combat styles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)