SPL 7: UU Discussion Thread

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I like Hogg but teal6 is unstoppable right now. He's got momentum and he's gonna keep it going

Lochie and xMarth is a tough choice but my gut is telling me lochie

Koko over Christo because Koko has a lot of experience and Christo got kinda lucky with what may or may not have been a choke last week. Still a great player though and I wouldn't be surprised if he won

I'm gonna go Hikari over aim not because of preparation (aim hasn't played UU most of this SPL obviously) but I think Hikari will still bring a solid team and play well

I'm saying dodmen over bugzinator but they've both had solid performances thus far

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
That was a really nice battle to watch. I think koko put on a really nice display on how to break down bulkier teams with an offense build. It looked like he was down in the early/middle stages of the game when christo started getting his layers up but he stuck with the gameplan and executed late game with gyra. Christo's core isn't easy to break either which made it such a good battle. Overall a nice showcase battle that was really enjoyable to watch.

Its probably a good replay for players watch if they struggle with taking down those bulkier builds. That was textbook by koko.

Christo lost when he let chest die. The switch didnt make much sense to me. He could have tried to take on hydrei with eye, bc kokos best play was fire blast or pulse. Chest was wat stopped gyras sweep ,n only unless it was taunt it, wouldnt be able to sweep if he kept it alive. Tbh i think christo would of won if he didnt make that misplay bc gyra was the only thing that could break christos team since koko let mamo get taken out the equation too early.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Chesnaught was running Rocky Helmet + Synthesis, meaning it probably didn't have Spiky Shield. The fact that he sacked it seems to confirm that. I assume he wanted to keep Sableye safe to check Gyara (since Draco Plate Meteor had a chance to KO Sable), not expecting Lum Gyara (although the miss meant Lum was irrelevant anyhow).

Sacking Chesnaught def wasn't the way to go, it would at least force Gyarados to Bounce where it would leave him at least at a 50/50 if he switched to Aero directly on the Bounce, instead of just losing to Gyarados

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Sacking Chesnaught def wasn't the way to go, it would at least force Gyarados to Bounce where it would leave him at least at a 50/50 if he switched to Aero directly on the Bounce, instead of just losing to Gyarados
The problem with that plan is that if he predicted wrong and Gyara was running Sub, he'd just lose - especially since then he couldn't even rely on Sable burn + Tenta spamming Haze to beat Gyarados. That's a cool play to make in retrospect, knowing Gyarados' set/item, but in practice it only works if koko is NOT running Gyara's most common set.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I thought Christo's team was really solid, as usual. But kokoloko definitely played the better game long-term, wearing down the Swamp and the Rocky Helm Chesnaught for an endgame sweep with Gyarados. The sacking of chesnaught may have been unecessary (although he had know way to know gyara was lum and could avoid sableye burn), and also he could have used Synthesis/Wish with Florges rather than Moonblast and get it to ~75% health. Those two plays/misplays I thought were the downfall for Christo. It's a shame, because it seemed to me that Christo's team itself was clearly superior- and he won at team preview. But you can never underestimate Gyarados as a threat.

EDIT: nvm, Christo didn't win at team preview cause Mamoswine could easily get 2-3 kills. But kokoloko decided to sack that anyway for some reason so idk

Last edited:
Yeah what Hogg is saying is pretty much my exact thought process.

No spiky shield on Ches and if I didn't sack it I would give Gyara a possible sub. Unfortunate I missed the Wilo wisp, but I can't expect to hit every move.

Edit: I was HP Electric swampert, but the entei pressured it to where I couldn't check Gyara. At that point my only option was hoping to hit a Wilo and not let Gyara get a free Sub.

Edit 2: Icey Tea, I could switch Aero on a bounce, but I'm not just going to hope he doesn't have Sub when that is the most common set. Not sure why that isn't clear. I guess people have to always find some sort of misplay.

Overall i thought the game was played fine on both sides, it just came down to hitting a wilo wisp or having a Lum berry on the gyara to decide who won the game.

Edit in response to wanka: anyone would say they had lum in that situation lol. I'm not saying he didn't have it, but I doubt it

Last edited:

Wanka

UUPL Champion
I mean at that point since he was lum, did the will-o connecting even matter? He had eq for tentacruel as well so I'm confused as to why it was unfortunate.

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
What reason does he have to lie and say he was Lum if he wasn't? No lefties and LO p much brings it down to a berry, most common of which are Chesto or Lum on DD Gyara. He showed EQ and most likely had Bounce, making Chesto v unlikely as no Rest. He could've been running a weird resist berry but I think with him claiming Lum and it being the most likely possible item, you should just accept it probs was. Cool game though, I enjoyed it a lot!

why would koko lie about being lum, there was no lefties recovery so out with that item, 2 more possibilities are either wacan or lum. chesto berry w/ rest could be an option too but i doubt it was it since it revealed eq dropping bounce would suck. looking how the team was prepared for electrics i doubt it was wacan aswell so lum would be the only reasonable item, no idea why he would lie about it imo

edit: tfw u get sniped fuck u Freeroamer

it was a really great match. i dont think anyone misplayed in this game tbf it was just one strategy against another.
i wanted to know if Aerodactyl was Adamant or Jolly. imo I'd play Mega Aerodactyl over Florges after Chesnaught sac. Aero would let Christo outspeed +1 Gyara and KO it back, so I'd take mega evolving as a priority. that, of course, if it is Jolly Maero, which it should be tbf. you can't risky with Gyara around.

also u guys are misunderstanding Christo lol he is saying his thought process with Sub Gyara in mind. ofc at that time he was not aware it was Lum or Lefties ffs

Wanka

UUPL Champion
it was a really great match. i dont think anyone misplayed in this game tbf it was just one strategy against another.
i wanted to know if Aerodactyl was Adamant or Jolly. imo I'd play Mega Aerodactyl over Florges after Chesnaught sac. Aero would let Christo outspeed +1 Gyara and KO it back, so I'd take mega evolving as a priority. that, of course, if it is Jolly Maero, which it should be tbf. you can't risky with Gyara around.

also u guys are misunderstanding Christo lol he is saying his thought process with Sub Gyara in mind. ofc at that time he was not aware it was Lum or Lefties ffs
Yeah we understand that he wasn't sure if it was lum at the time but koko revealed lum berry to christo and the rest of us which is why we are confused that he's saying it was unfortunate now.

Power Herb, Chesto, wacaan, etc I could see being items he would run but he could potentially lie about it cuz it's the difference between a clean win and a win based off a Wilo miss. It's pretty irrelevant cuz u can never rly know and it doesn't matter. Also he took a while to pick his move as well as saying "GG" immediately after like he shit his pants that the wilo missed. Either way it doesn't matter, but I still think it was an unfortunate miss.

Edit: regardless it was a good game and I will hope to bring a win next week.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
it was def lum berry but people should stop saying I played well cause I really didn't lol

I'll be the first to admit that I played that game really badly. All my plays had reasons behind them but I started the game really wrong by letting Mamo die expecting pert to come back in on a double (I had freeze dry so I wanted to force him to pick rocks or stopping the Pig). In retrospect that was really bad cause entei still pressured the shit out of pert and I wasn't gonna prevent rocks no matter what.

not tooting my own horn here but I played the first five games pretty flawlessly imo but this one was rly bad. I only won cause he let the Chester die, cause my last was stone edge.

but i was definitely lum berry yes I was.

Dude posted 'yum' after dodging an hydro with Mamoswine in his match vs dodmen, you really think he cares about clean wins? This is spl, the only people who (temporarily) care about clean wins are the ones that got haxed.

'He took slightly more time to make his move, therefore, he was shitting pants' - what??? Knowing koko, he probably was telling his team you 100% threw and that the game was over. He didn't say gg earlier because physically defensive sableye can wow gyara twice, so his win wasn't certain.

Wacan is ass. Power Herb is ass. Chesto without any bulk is ass. Why would it not be lum?

He even tried to wear down chest with Swampert, until he realized it had synthesis. Why would he do that if his Gyarados could just kill it whenever he wanted?

He had Whimsicott, Entei, Hydreigon, Mamoswine and SR pert. You really telling me he needs to lure chestnaught in and OHKO with gyarados? For what purpose exactly?

Hate this kind of johns. You lost because:

- you preserved the only Pokemon Gyarados could use as a setup fodder, just to force Hydreigon out.

- you killed Entei with Swampert, instead of using it to mega evolve and have another answer to Gyarados. Tbf, I'm sure that was Adamant aero, because outspeeding important threats is overrated or smth.

- your specially defensive sableye was scared of the hydrigon that couldn't kill it without taking a significant amount of lo damage, putting it in aeros range. It ended up not being lo, which you figured out when you sacced Chest, and that doesn't kill sdef sableye. If the sableye had physical investment, waterfall doesn't ohko at 76%.

- you didn't wear down hydreigon at all. If you put it in the ko range of aero, which requires minimal damage sableye could have done easily, you just win unless you miss stone edge.

You didn't lose because of a wow miss, you just simply misplayed multiple times. You played turn by turn and didn't think long term. You wasted the massive advantage koko gave you with the mamoswine play and played late game terribly. You refused to win with aero.

You straight up choked. Don't say things like 'my opp was lying' to downplay a loss; not the first time you do it and its scrubby and classless.

Phone rant. Sry about formatting and typos

I didn't choke but people just love to find ways to shit on other users in this community. None of what you said made any sense since you are just assuming you know my sets which is annoying. Since you are a tier leader whatever you say will be right so I probably should not even try to defend myself.

Him taking a while picking his move wasn't what I meant by shitting himself. Right after the Wilo missed he threw a caps GG like he just pulled through there. Like 15 secs later he said he was lum.

None of what you said I did wrong was a fucking choke. I have a decent amount of speed on Sableye so I didn't want to risk a high roll LO draco. Him damaging Ches with pert is completely irrelevant because he would want it dead for chesnaught regardless since He wouldn't know if I had protect.

I didn't need aero mega'd or damage on hydrei because I was max hp 164 attack aero with roost so I beat it by roosting assuming no crit. Also since I'm bulky I'm not running max speed for gyara at +1. My team was obviously defensive so max Hp aero makes a ton of sense. I will take the chance of sub gyara over some stone edge Lum berry anyway. But since I'm not a magician and can't predict sets its a choke I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)