Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno why people are so hung up on the Zygarde forms and unfinished story, I mean it's not the first time GameFreak bailed out on an ultimate Dragon. Remember Zekrom, Palkia, Kyurem and the ultimate dragon that was supposed to be more powerful than Arceus? Well me neither..

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Poor Zygarde, just wanted to be loved by Game Freak and the masses, but he gets completely shoved aside in the games, and even shoved aside in a movie that was initially supposed to be his. :(

Also, friendly reminder that RBY's RNG was never cracked (and probably would run slightly different on 3DS), and breeding doesn't exist in Gen I; good luck getting a Fissure Machamp with decentish IVs

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Maybe they are cancelling nature and abilities.
Otherwise, how will the old mons translate into the new game?
I don't see them just removing Natures and Abilities. They could just randomly generate a Nature and Ability for all 'mons transferred from RBY, or just default them all to Hardy Nature. Taking out a mechanic for something that's not that hard to work around wouldn't make any sense.

A mechanic change isn't out of the question but I don't think people would take kindly to removal of mechanics that have no negative impact and would probably be more of a hindrance than anything (people would wonder why Earthquake now hits their Gengar, or why Skarmory can switch out of their Magnezone)

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
I dunno why people are so hung up on the Zygarde forms and unfinished story, I mean it's not the first time GameFreak bailed out on an ultimate Dragon. Remember Zekrom, Palkia, Kyurem and the ultimate dragon that was supposed to be more powerful than Arceus? Well me neither..
Palkia has nothing to do with ANY of the other Pokemon you listed... Why bring it up?

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I don't see anything that says "Sun/Moon being Gen 7 means Zygarde is getting scrapped." As usual they were incredibly vague about what's actually going on, and for all we know Sun/Moon is the game that'll give us the Zygarde explanation we've been expecting, just under the guise of a new generation with new Pokemon. We don't even know exactly where the new game is taking place so for all we know the "region" is this "south of Kalos" area people have theorized about before. The obvious assumption is that Zygarde isn't the cover legendary but there's still the Sundial and hinted Moondial, as well as the blatant XY and Sun/Moon colors on Zygarde's chest thing. I still think that Zygarde will likely play some sort of role in whatever is going on here because there's some very visible links going on here, but that's just an assumption. At any rate I think it's far too soon to write off Zygarde just yet.

Those cannot be compared as the Ultimate dragon was only mentioned, but these forms have actually been shown and even given typings, height, weight etc. So it makes a lot of sense for people to wonder what will happen to them.

I don't know why people are upset about getting a whole new Gen over getting a half-gen retread specifically with a Gen that introduced about only thirty pokemon and between it and its remake gave us every single possible pokemon.

No. GF was planning this for a while, a big 20th anniversary release but they realized if they went full bore with Gen6 they couldn't have done it. That is why Gen6 was a transitionary gen getting everything over to the 3DS. S&M is going to have a sizeable number of new mons and will probably have less mons to catch that 6 allowed us.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

I don't know about you guys but, to me, the definitive argument regarding whether a new game means a new gen is being able to trade/battle. With the exception of RBY->GSC, once a new gen is released, you can never battle and can only do "one-way trading". Note that, after the GSC->RSE overhaul, they didn't need to stop tradeback. There really wasn't anything that stopped DP from having a Time Machine-esque feature to send Outrage Mence back to RSE, much less from keeping such a feature all the way to ORAS.

This was a design decision made by the devs. They don't want you to look back and keep on playing the older games with new toys, they want you to play only the new shiny toy they're trying to sell you. This means that you can only pick your best "bros" from the older game and send them to a new journey in the newer one.

And then we have this bit from the official site. It says we can send RBY mons to Sumo (I'm calling Sun/Moon that, sorry not sorry) and that's it. And we already know from another piece of info that XYORAS are excluded from that, so we know that the lack of a mention to them in the first sentence isn't an accident. Then we read the second, outlined sentence and guess what? You can send from XYORAS to Sumo via Bank!

..."In the same way". No "between them", no "from and to", nothing. It's one-way, even if using the Bank. Just like RBY->Sumo, you can send XYORAS->Sumo.

It doesn't matter if Sumo is in Southern Kalos, if Floette and the Zygardes make an appearance in the plot, or if the game even uses the Kalos starters. It's a new gen.

EDIT-- No, I don't think that we would have a new gen even if we got 200 new pokémon in a new region and everything, if we still could trade. We already get new pokémon in every third game since Platinum, with ORAS being the worst offender with its new formes which couldn't be used in battle against XY. Note how they simply restricted trading items and battling versus the "new pokémon" (new to TCPi, as to us they're "mere" formes). It doesn't seem they're doing it again this time.

Last edited:
Hope we can use poke bank from the start.

Want to blaze through the game with an all eeveelutions team for the lols.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
That's something intentionally vague and mysterious that interpretations are supposed to be drawn from.
Ultimate Zygarde is something that has advertisement, hype and an entire anime saga built around it. One of these things is very much not like the other.

I think it will be cool to see how Pokemon expands the Fairy type for another generation. I know they retroactively made older mons fairy, which had a significant effect on competitive play, but I think the type could still benefit from organic expansion.

There's also the point that the ultimate dragon from Gen V was torn apart, and was never implied to be able to be recombined. It used to exist, but no longer can because of strife or truth or the magical power of friendship or something.

Zygarde exists. We've seen it. We know how it exists. Zygarde's other forms (Cell and 10%) exist too, and we've seen them in action. It's a fully fledged, seen creature. That's the biggest difference. It's straight-up an unfinished story, not a distant ancient past/mythology the referenced to bring the story forward like Reshi/Zek.

So you guys remember how XY's japanese logos hinted at Mega evolution before anyone knew what it was?
xy-jp-logo.jpg

They put the MEvo symbol in the logo over the hard "-n" kana.
the Japamese S&M logos are doing the same thing...sort of
Moon_Version_logo_Jp.png
Sun_Version_logo_Jp.png

Crystals...no wait, they're gems...in space.
Also, the Pokéball has a little comet tail.

Another possibility: this is simultaneously a new generation but Zygarde is still central to the story.

Suppose this is taking place in the Pokemon equivalent of Britain or Southern Kalos, though there might be new box legends what if Zygarde is the order between them as well? There are "trio masters" with two trios.

The presence of so many cars makes me think this is still European based. Perhaps we get even more backstory on AZ. I don't want to just believe Gamefreak introduced all that stuff for nothing.

Last edited:
So you guys remember how XY's japanese logos hinted at Mega evolution before anyone knew what it was?
View attachment 57741
View attachment 57742 View attachment 57743
Crystals...
Also, they Pokéball has a little comet tail.
Hoping it means a universal Mega stone/crystal. Gonna be tedious to collect and shuffle through around 100 different megastones.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
View attachment 57741
View attachment 57742 View attachment 57743
Crystals...no wait, they're gems...in space.
Also, the Pokéball has a little comet tail.
Whatever it is, I hope they have some way to revive older Pokemons.
I especially refer to Kanto/ Johto Pokemon that did not receive evo in Gen 4.

Another note is that toe ORAS logos were created in the same 3D style as the XY logos, but the new S&M ones have a very different layout.

To me, that adds to the theory of a new gen.

Another note is that toe ORAS logos were created in the same 3D style as the XY logos, but the new S&M ones have a very different layout.

To me, that adds to the theory of a new gen.
It's already been officially confirmed that Sun and Moon are Gen VII.

I think he's referring to the Palkia/Dialga fusion statue in Eterna City in Plat that was randomly there and didn't have anything to do with anything
It was explicitly stated by word of God that it was meant to be interpreted as the cover legend of your choice, be that either Palkia or Dialga. It isn't supposed to be a fusion or mean anything more than an homage to Sinnoh's legends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)