Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

First, make sure you have a Pokemon with a Special stat of 182 or 183. These correspond to index numbers of two Missingno formes that will both trigger item duplication and won't crash your game upon encounter (level-grinding a Pokemon at Cerulean Cave shouldn't be too much of an issue though, these Pokemon give lots of EXP). Same as with Red and Blue, you will want the item you want duplicated to be in slot #6.

Step 1. Start up Mew glitch as normal (walk up to trainer then hit Start at same time blah blah blah)
Step 2. Go battle a trainer you haven't fought yet
Step 3. Once that's done, fly to Cinnabar Island and go to Pokemon Mansion
Step 4. Go to where Ditto appears, then walk around until it does
Step 5. Switch in your Pokemon with 182 or 183 Special on Ditto as it Transforms, then defeat it
Step 6. When you go back to the route you first set up Mew glitch on, you will activate an encounter with Missingno and item #6 will be duplicated. 129 Fissure TMs Master Balls!
so basically if you have fought every other trainer(excluding trainer in step 1) then you cant do this glitch? you can only do this a limited number of times?

That's not true. Ganguro wasn't even a thing yet at the time Jynx debuted, and even if it was, it doesn't involve them painting their faces black.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro

Etymology
Ganguro practitioners say that the term derives from the phrase ganganguro or "gangankuro" (ガンガン黒?, exceptionally dark). The word ganguro can be translated as "burn-black look", "dark tanning", "black-face".[7]

Jynx being influenced by Ganguro is speculation but there is a justification to it but as a craze it started in the mid 90s.

Trying to play through Yellow getting as little Key Items as possible due to limited inventory/PC space. Is there a page somewhere listing Key Items you don't necessarily need?

so basically if you have fought every other trainer(excluding trainer in step 1) then you cant do this glitch? you can only do this a limited number of times?
If you've beaten all other trainers, you can access a pc and save the game by changing boxes. Then fight the Elite 4 to complete the trick.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Trying to play through Yellow getting as little Key Items as possible due to limited inventory/PC space. Is there a page somewhere listing Key Items you don't necessarily need?
Key Items you can deposit in your PC once you're done with them:
Key Card
Lift Key
Secret Key
Silph Scope
S.S. Ticket (don't remember if you keep that or not)

Here are other Key Items you can keep in your PC most of the time:
Coin Case (Only used on Rocket Game Corner)
Dome Fossil/Helix Fossil/Old Amber (Until you get to Cinnabar Island just keep it in your PC)
Old/Good/Super Rod (Only used for fishing. Infact you can keep the Old & Good Rod in your PC once you get Super)

Key Items a good idea to keep around:
Bicycle
Item Finder (though if you don't use it you can also put it into your PC)
Poke Flute (makes Awakenings pointless)

Key Items you can deposit in your PC once you're done with them:
Key Card
Lift Key
Secret Key
Silph Scope
S.S. Ticket (don't remember if you keep that or not)

Here are other Key Items you can keep in your PC most of the time:
Coin Case (Only used on Rocket Game Corner)
Dome Fossil/Helix Fossil/Old Amber (Until you get to Cinnabar Island just keep it in your PC)
Old/Good/Super Rod (Only used for fishing. Infact you can keep the Old & Good Rod in your PC once you get Super)

Key Items a good idea to keep around:
Bicycle
Item Finder (though if you don't use it you can also put it into your PC)
Poke Flute (makes Awakenings pointless)
I think he wants to know if there any key items he can skip altogether so it doesn't take up bag or PC space.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think he wants to know if there any key items he can skip altogether so it doesn't take up bag or PC space.
Oh... let's see:

Key Items you can skip:
Bicycle (don't talk with the chairman in the Pokemon Fan Club in Vermillion)
Coin Case (don't talk with the man in Celadon's restaurant)
Old/Good/Super Rod (don't talk to any of the Fishing Gurus)
Town Map (don't talk to Daisy Oak)

Pretty much only the handy items. But like I said you can put items in your PC including Key Items so just do that.

Oh... let's see:

Key Items you can skip:
Bicycle (don't talk with the chairman in the Pokemon Fan Club in Vermillion)
Coin Case (don't talk with the man in Celadon's restaurant)
Old/Good/Super Rod (don't talk to any of the Fishing Gurus)
Town Map (don't talk to Daisy Oak)

Pretty much only the handy items. But like I said you can put items in your PC including Key Items so just do that.
Thing is that I'll be going to collect all the TMs (and make clones of them) so every extra spot will be useful. Thanks for the tips.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Thing is that I'll be going to collect all the TMs (and make clones of them) so every extra spot will be useful. Thanks for the tips.
You could probably skip some of the weaker TMs and focus on the ones which would be useful to have multiples of (I'm pretty sure you can skip Water Gun & Teleport).

First, make sure you have a Pokemon with a Special stat of 182 or 183. These correspond to index numbers of two Missingno formes that will both trigger item duplication and won't crash your game upon encounter (level-grinding a Pokemon at Cerulean Cave shouldn't be too much of an issue though, these Pokemon give lots of EXP). Same as with Red and Blue, you will want the item you want duplicated to be in slot #6.

Step 1. Start up Mew glitch as normal (walk up to trainer then hit Start at same time blah blah blah)
Step 2. Go battle a trainer you haven't fought yet
Step 3. Once that's done, fly to Cinnabar Island and go to Pokemon Mansion
Step 4. Go to where Ditto appears, then walk around until it does
Step 5. Switch in your Pokemon with 182 or 183 Special on Ditto as it Transforms, then defeat it
Step 6. When you go back to the route you first set up Mew glitch on, you will activate an encounter with Missingno and item #6 will be duplicated. 129 Fissure TMs Master Balls!
IIRC you can use the duplication glitch twice per Missingno, right? Don't you have to swap item #1 or item #5 with item #6 in order to duplicate them both? Again, not entirely sure.

You could probably skip some of the weaker TMs and focus on the ones which would be useful to have multiples of (I'm pretty sure you can skip Water Gun & Teleport).
Haven't you heard? Teleport Arcanine is the new meta

Seriously, uh, out of Gen 1's TMs I can say these are the ones you can reliably skip, trash or teach to anything to get rid of them (whether they're weak or TMs in later gens):-

TM01 Mega Punch
TM02 Razor Wind
TM03 Swords Dance
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Take Down
TM11 Bubblebeam
TM12 Water Gun
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM20 Rage
TM21 Mega Drain
TM22 Solarbeam
TM23 Dragon Rage
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM26 Earthquake
TM28 Dig
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Teleport
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Bide
TM37 Egg Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM39 Swift
TM40 Skull Bash
TM42 Dream Eater
TM44 Rest
TM45 Thunder Wave
TM46 Psywave
TM47 Explosion
TM48 Rock Slide
TM50 Substitute

I didn't include TM35 Metronome because it could be incredibly fun for Multiplayer battles. Also keep in mind that we don't really know what move buffs Gen 7 will bring; it's possible we could expect buffs to Mega Punch and Razor Wind for example. That said I think it's safe to say that Dragon Rage, Psywave, Mega Drain and Teleport aren't going to be very useful any time soon - really just go by your own judgement.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Haven't you heard? Teleport Arcanine is the new meta

Seriously, uh, out of Gen 1's TMs I can say these are the ones you can reliably skip, trash or teach to anything to get rid of them (whether they're weak or TMs in later gens):-

TM01 Mega Punch
TM02 Razor Wind
TM03 Swords Dance
TM06 Toxic
TM09 Take Down
TM11 Bubblebeam
TM12 Water Gun
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM20 Rage
TM21 Mega Drain
TM22 Solarbeam
TM23 Dragon Rage
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM26 Earthquake
TM28 Dig
TM29 Psychic
TM30 Teleport
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Bide
TM37 Egg Bomb
TM38 Fire Blast
TM39 Swift
TM40 Skull Bash
TM42 Dream Eater
TM44 Rest
TM45 Thunder Wave
TM46 Psywave
TM47 Explosion
TM48 Rock Slide
TM50 Substitute

I didn't include TM35 Metronome because it could be incredibly fun for Multiplayer battles. Also keep in mind that we don't really know what move buffs Gen 7 will bring; it's possible we could expect buffs to Mega Punch and Razor Wind for example. That said I think it's safe to say that Dragon Rage, Psywave, Mega Drain and Teleport aren't going to be very useful any time soon - really just go by your own judgement.
To add to this, you can probably also skip the Softboiled TM. Only Chansey and Mew learn it; the former gets it as a level-up move in later gens, and, as Mew learns every TM/HM move, it also learns Roost through later gen TMs, which is functionally the same move on Mew.

What trainers should I avoid battling as I play through the game in order to abuse future glitches? IIRC, the one trainer between Nugget Bridge and Bill's house and the one near the east entrance to the Celadon/Lavender Underground Path (though I believe there are others that you can use in place of the latter) were needed for the Mew glitch.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I can confirm that the Arbitrary Code Glitch still works in Red and Blue! Now what does this mean? I used this to get Pokemon with Perfect DVs, which might be useful for Pokemon Sun and Moon! Just note, apparently this glitch doesn't work with the French versions, sorry!

Jibaku and TheMantyke wanted me to go into how to pull this off, so I'll talk about it. I mostly looked at stuff from Glitch City Labs: those dudes are the expert on Pokemon glitches, so you should thank them!

Step 1: Get 8F

8F is the source of all this madness. Its this item that enables you to basically do almost anything in RBY! Getting it is pretty complicated though, so I'm going to link to this youtube video that a glitch city labs user made.

Before you can start, you'll need: an item you don't mind tossing, 255 X Specials, and a removable item (I recommend a fossil to use at Cinnabar Island)/ An important thing the video doesn't mention is how to get 255 X Special. You buy one X Special, and do the usual Missingno. Glitch. THEN, you discard two X Specials (remember, Missingno. gives you 128 clones for the item in the 6th slot), then you encounter Missingno. again to get the extra 128 X Specials you need for 255 X Specials.

Step 2: Get the right party.

You will need a very specific party of Pokemon in the EXACT order listed to actually be able to use 8F. Using 8F without one of these parties WILL CRASH YOUR GAME! Glitch City Labs seems to have two different parties. I'm not sure if they do different things, but I'll list the party I used to activate 8F. If for any reason you need the other party though, I'll link to it, maybe only certain glitches work with that one?

First Party (the one I used): (Gotten from http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Arbitrary_code_execution)

Pidgey with 233 HP (I personally Rare candied Pidgey to level 100, then gave it HP Ups till it was close enough to be STAT exp trained to 233 HP. You can go above 233 HP too as long as you whittle down the Pidgey's health to 233 HP)
Parasect
Onix
Tentacool
Kangaskhan

Second Party (The one from this post: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.0.html)

Step 3: Get the right item "recipe"

Just blindly using 8F will also crash your game. In addition to having the right party, you also need to have the right items in your bag in a VERY SPECIFIC ORDER!

Thanks to Glitch City Labs users Torchickens and Searinox , here's a code that can be used to get perfect DVs on the first Pokemon in your active box! (source: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.msg198973.html#msg198973 )

Recipe

Any item
8F
178 X Accuracys
218 Carbos
255 Lemonades
50 Pokeballs
201 Water Stones

Once you have the correct order of items and quantity of items, and ONLY THESE ITEMS IN THE BAG, simply use 8F, and TADA: The first Pokemon in your active box will now have perfect DVs!

Other things you can do with 8F

There are plenty of other crazy things you can do with 8F and the right recipe too. I actually changed my name in the game to change what I could get at Cinnabar Island via a certain recipe, and according to the thread, you can use 8F to capture trainer Pokemon, Walk Through Walls, pretty much anything you could imagine as long as you have the right recipe in your bag!
Just be careful though, like I said: I only used the first party of Pokemon, and I've only used it to change my name and get perfect DVs. I'm not sure if things react differently or not depending on the party. It's very easy to crash the game if you just mess up even one step!

For more details on what you can do with 8F, and more recipes I haven't tried out, check out this Glitch City Labs thread! It's how I was able to do all this crazy stuff lol http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.0.html

Last edited:
Psypokes has an item list you can use.

You don't technically need any of the HM's, as you could trade in pokémon who know what you need. Otherwise, Flash and Fly are skippable. The Bicycle, the rods, the Exp. All, and the Itemfinder all have their uses, but they're skippable as well. The Town Map, the Fossils, the Silph Scope, and the Lift Key are all either skippable or removable, and are basically filler. The Bike Voucher and the Gold Teeth share an inventory spot with the Bicycle and HM04, respectively, and Oak's Parcel and the Pokedex are both non-issues. This leaves the Coin Case, the Pokéflute, the S.S. Ticket, the Card Key, and the Secret Key that will need to be collected. There may be a glitch to let you skip those, but you will need the Coin Case and the S.S. Ticket, at least for the goal you have in mind.

Assuming you collect those five items, the bicycle, and HM01-HM04, you're left with ten empty slots available for your cloned rare candies and master balls.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On a side note, now that I'm almost done with my regular Red run through (team for that currently is Charizard / Nidoking / Mew / Snorlax), I've started my crazy broken glitch Yellow runthrough!

For this runthrough, I used the power of Red glitches to trade over strong Pokemon at WAY lower levels than they should be. Here's how the team started: (The cuebone is there so I can trade it for Machoke lol)

This is the only time Pikachu had higher stats than Mewtwo

Wow that didn't take long, Mewtwo is already better than Pikachu lol

THIS IS REVENGE FOR POKEMON RED BROCK!

So I can confirm that the Arbitrary Code Glitch still works in Red and Blue! Now what does this mean? I used this to get Pokemon with Perfect DVs, which might be useful for Pokemon Sun and Moon! Just note, apparently this glitch doesn't work with the French versions, sorry!

Jibaku and TheMantyke wanted me to go into how to pull this off, so I'll talk about it. I mostly looked at stuff from Glitch City Labs: those dudes are the expert on Pokemon glitches, so you should thank them!

Step 1: Get 8F

8F is the source of all this madness. Its this item that enables you to basically do almost anything in RBY! Getting it is pretty complicated though, so I'm going to link to this youtube video that a glitch city labs user made.

Before you can start, you'll need: an item you don't mind tossing, 255 X Specials, and a removable item (I recommend a fossil to use at Cinnabar Island)/ An important thing the video doesn't mention is how to get 255 X Special. You buy one X Special, and do the usual Missingno. Glitch. THEN, you discard two X Specials (remember, Missingno. gives you 128 clones for the item in the 6th slot), then you encounter Missingno. again to get the extra 128 X Specials you need for 255 X Specials.

Step 2: Get the right party.

You will need a very specific party of Pokemon in the EXACT order listed to actually be able to use 8F. Using 8F without one of these parties WILL CRASH YOUR GAME! Glitch City Labs seems to have two different parties. I'm not sure if they do different things, but I'll list the party I used to activate 8F. If for any reason you need the other party though, I'll link to it, maybe only certain glitches work with that one?

First Party (the one I used): (Gotten from http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Arbitrary_code_execution)

Pidgey with 233 HP (I personally Rare candied Pidgey to level 100, then gave it HP Ups till it was close enough to be STAT exp trained to 233 HP)
Parasect
Onix
Tentacool
Kangaskhan

Second Party (The one from this post: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.0.html)

Step 3: Get the right item "recipe"

Just blindly using 8F will also crash your game. In addition to having the right party, you also need to have the right items in your bag in a VERY SPECIFIC ORDER!

Thanks to Glitch City Labs users Torchickens and Searinox , here's a code that can be used to get perfect DVs on the first Pokemon in your active box! (source: http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.msg198973.html#msg198973 )

Recipe

Any item
8F
178 X Accuracys
218 Carbos
255 Lemonades
50 Pokeballs
201 Water Stones

Once you have the correct order of items and quantity of items, and ONLY THESE ITEMS IN THE BAG, simply use 8F, and TADA: The first Pokemon in your active box will now have perfect DVs!

Other things you can do with 8F

There are plenty of other crazy things you can do with 8F and the right recipe too. I actually changed my name in the game to change what I could get at Cinnabar Island via a certain recipe, and according to the thread, you can use 8F to capture trainer Pokemon, Walk Through Walls, pretty much anything you could imagine as long as you have the right recipe in your bag!
Just be careful though, like I said: I only used the first party of Pokemon, and I've only used it to change my name and get perfect DVs. I'm not sure if things react differently or not depending on the party. It's very easy to crash the game if you just mess up even one step!

For more details on what you can do with 8F, and more recipes I haven't tried out, check out this Glitch City Labs thread! It's how I was able to do all this crazy stuff lol http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.0.html
Does this work in Yellow?

Theorymon

Does this work in Yellow?
I hear there's a version of this glitch in Pokemon Yellow, but I think the implementation is totally different, and from what I can tell, the Perfect DV stuff wouldn't work because you need specific Pokemon in boxes. Look around though, maybe there's a way to pull it off in Yellow that I'm not aware of.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganguro

Etymology
Ganguro practitioners say that the term derives from the phrase ganganguro or "gangankuro" (ガンガン黒?, exceptionally dark). The word ganguro can be translated as "burn-black look", "dark tanning", "black-face".[7]

Jynx being influenced by Ganguro is speculation but there is a justification to it but as a craze it started in the mid 90s.
OK. But have you seen any Ganguro girls? None of them have black faces.

Esmeya

There's nothing left. Goodbye.
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
OK. But have you seen any Ganguro girls? None of them have black faces.
The word itself means black-faced.

As for "none of them having black faces" Yamanba and Manba have extremely dark, almost "black" tans and makeup on.

I had the hardest time figuring out the Team Rocket bit when I first played through the games. Some people are playing these games for the first time. Hell I had to use a guide to get through Pokemon Mansion in my recent playthrough.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Personal experience bias is weird, isn't it? To us stuff like how to get the Sliph Scope seems extremely obvious, but these people have no idea what's going on since it's new to them (plus the older game design is legitimately confusing at times).

Then again, the internet exists and the numerous guides available online kind of kill any excuses for getting stuck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)