Serious Recent Depression / Friends That Have Been Raped (Warning: Very graphic)

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
Recently, I've been feeling very depressed. I've had minor depression for a long time, but somehow, starting around mid-February, many of my friends have been telling me about how they were raped as children. One was raped at 12 by her Uncle, and because of our shitty justice system, even though they found her Uncle's semen inside of her, since he spend $300,000 on lawyers, he got off scott free. No jail. No probation. No parole.
Another friend told me about being sexually abused since she was 4, and being physically raped by her father and his friends repeatedly since she was 12, including being locked in a basement and tied up.
And the worst one was a third friend who was sold into sexual slavery by her father since she was a very young child.

I apologize if this is touchy, but I'm asking what should I do to comfort these friends and try to heal these deep emotional wounds and also what should I do to lessen the strain on myself, since I feel very depressed knowing that people I love have been so badly hurt?

Edit: Whoops. Totally forgot to mention that the reason I feel extra depressed is that these friends of mine are suicidal, and I want to protect them, but I simply don't know how. Please help.

Do your part to make the world a safer place for women.

Seriously, take action if you see sexism or abuse happening. Be more proactive in speaking out about it. It is difficult for something to be ingrained in public consciousness if people don't talk about it. I advise you to empathize but not compare what you feel to what they have been through.

The reality is that beyond being a decent human being and continually reinforcing good reasons to live, there is not much you can do. Try suggesting therapy in a non-confrontational way.

Last edited:
Thank you for the warning, I appreciate it also as a rape survivor..

There is a thing called 'secondary trauma', it's not uncommon for people who are close to rape survivors to experience a secondary pain, of course it is nothing like primary trauma but the way it affects people is very real (especially with how it can play out among these relationships too). I would actually urge you to join a support group (I'll PM you a link to a board if you like) where there is help for secondary survivors and primary survivors to talk out the pain. Since you have depression and from the sounds of it other life troubles anyway I would absolutely urge you to try to find therapy, a place where it's not selfish or bad for you to talk about ANYTHING, a time where it's solely dedicated to you. Where you're allowed to feel that pain without fear of treading on your friends' emotions, where you're allowed to vent out that grief and heal, as well as everything else.

Anyway yes it is true and real that the majority of rapes do not go even reported, let alone punished, for many many many many structural reasons such as what you are seeing, as well as police indifference/scorn/harassment, etc. For your friends to tell you about this is both a sign of great trust and probably overflowing emotionally; your emotions and expression of care would not be unwelcome, though from experience as a primary and secondary survivor I particularly urge caution around expressing violent thoughts or sudden anger that is not in support of theirs (a lot of people who are abuse survivors are also survivors of other types of violence / afraid of anger / additionally since there's incest involved here at an emotionally formative age the emotions are going to be complex). Also, try to avoid associating shame and disgust with what happened to them; any shame and disgust should be explicitly directed at the perpetrators.

The truth is you can't heal them, and they'll need support networks of their own, but by being there for them, believing them and being patient, affirming it's okay to talk and be grieving and not expecting them to be showing constant signs of progress and having 'gotten over it', understanding the hard time it's going to be giving them in all aspects of their life, and being a safe person to go to, you help be part of an environment where healing is possible. It depends entirely on your friends what type of comfort they want—it isn't a bad thing to ask what types of comfort they might especially prefer. Some people like hugs, some people don't, some people just want to be listened to, some people need affirmation and signs of support, validation, and belief. Some people need other forms of support like validating their anger (especially in huge cases of injustice like these).

As for the fact they're suicidal—realise that sometimes their best interests are not going to coincide with what they want, but be very, very careful of calling the cops on them unless you have very strong reason to believe they're goign to do something. It's a lot better to convince someone to seek help voluntarily at the ED than call the police (seriously I had the police called on me recently by my case worker because I said I wanted to talk about my suicidal feelings and they SHOWED UP IN MY ROOM WITH TASERS and caused me more problems, I ended up having the talk I needed to cheer up with a nurse in the hospital). For example I've been suicidal for a decade and only(!) attempted four times in all that. Hospitals make danger levels based on the following: having intention to do it, having a plan to do it, having the means to do it, and the detail/immediacy of the plan. Keep in contact with them though even if it's only to say you're checking up on them. Sometimes having someone to talk to is enough to placate those urges. Still, be mindful of those things though and other warning signs of increasing suicidal urge / intention, and if they might be concealing them from you.

And by looking after yourself, that's another way you can be there for them. I don't mean detaching from them exactly, but I mean finding a way to be okay and to still be their friend, for life to still go on, to not permanently dissociate from them or from having their lives changed. So it is important to look after yourself, and maintain your emotional space, spend time alone, find things to do and think about other than rape. Check up on your other friends. Some people find doing activism or attending events like Take Back the Night an uplifting way to deal with their emotions, some people just need to not think about rape and that's perfectly fine. If you find that it becomes an intrusive thought definitely definitely seek therapy. I would advise you of course not to talk about this to your other friends or anyone who isn't bound by confidentality / a rando on the internet unlikely to come across it I guess, which is why I strongly advocate therapy.

Most of all a lot of acceptance is required.. that a lot of violence happens in the world, that it's structural and individual alike, that it can be fought, that everything takes time and a lot of change, that it's not only your job to handle it, that everyone is interdependent on each other and requires love, care, and checking on (including you), that the future is arriving minute by minute and having even tiny short-term goals and things to look forward to are reasons to live... that such and such a thing happened to people you love but it didn't happen to you, that that's a good thing and you don't need to feel guilty about that, that you don't have to make all of it your pain but yes it's going to hurt when your friends hurt, it always will, and that's a function of caring and loving. Doing your bit proactively to help make the world a little safer for them and speaking out about the related issues is a way of fighting.

Hit me up if you need to talk :) I won't be offended if you need to talk secondary-to-secondary.

edit: While I wish Gabe hadn't brought up gamergate into this thread, I agree that opposing rape (of people of all genders, but it is disproportionately gendered) is a really important feminist issue, and being proactive about both learning and practising that is important. That being said, you don't need to think about rape 24/7 while you're still coping with this, but it's a positive motivator. Also agree with suggesting therapy in a nonconfrontational way when the timing is right but they probably have therapists... helping them stay in therapy (or change therapist if needed, etc.) is also a way you may be able to help them, don't know them personally, just pointing out a thing.

edit2: A thing I often say is that there's only a certain degree to which people's problems are relative. Everyone's worst problem is still their own worst problem. Please do not feel discouraged to get help for your own depression or like it does not matter (it is a thing your friends will understand and wish too).

edit3: Sorry I keep editing, just, this really hit me hard and I care a lot about this issue pretty much more than anything:

Also remember that this is a pain your friends have felt for a long, long time, all their lives; it is new to you, and it is being renewed all the time for them, and it sounds like some of them are at crisis points, but there's a reason we say 'survivor', even if often we do not feel like survivors, that we could have been barely said to be survived.

Last edited:

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.

Seriously, take action if you see sexism or abuse happening. Be more proactive in speaking out about it. It is difficult for something to be ingrained in public consciousness if people don't talk about it. I advise you to empathize but not compare what you feel to what they have been through.

The reality is that beyond being a decent human being and continually reinforcing good reasons to live, there is not much you can do. Try suggesting therapy in a non-confrontational way.

Hearing things like this truly make me repulsed. It's even worse when guys act like vile shitbabies with shit like Gamergate. Feminism isn't a joke.
These all happened long before I was friends with them. I've never personally seen a woman being abused, although I'm friends with this person on Skype, and her brother hits her, and I hear her get slapped and cry. I hate the feeling of helplessness.

The one that was sold into sexual slavery (by her own damned father) was a friend I met on Instagram. I was afraid that she might have killed herself because she was gone for a while, but luckily, I heard good news from her today.

The third person is one I know in person, but her boyfriend decided to get pissy with me (I wasn't stealing her, but he's the oh-so-great jealous type), so unfortunately, she and I no longer talk, but I still feel bad for her. She's the one whose father was let off.

Thank you for the warning, I appreciate it also as a rape survivor..

There is a thing called 'secondary trauma', it's not uncommon for people who are close to rape survivors to experience a secondary pain, of course it is nothing like primary trauma but the way it affects people is very real (especially with how it can play out among these relationships too). I would actually urge you to join a support group (I'll PM you a link to a board if you like) where there is help for secondary survivors and primary survivors to talk out the pain. Since you have depression and from the sounds of it other life troubles anyway I would absolutely urge you to try to find therapy, a place where it's not selfish or bad for you to talk about ANYTHING, a time where it's solely dedicated to you. Where you're allowed to feel that pain without fear of treading on your friends' emotions, where you're allowed to vent out that grief and heal, as well as everything else.

Anyway yes it is true and real that the majority of rapes do not go even reported, let alone punished, for many many many many structural reasons such as what you are seeing, as well as police indifference/scorn/harassment, etc. For your friends to tell you about this is both a sign of great trust and probably overflowing emotionally; your emotions and expression of care would not be unwelcome, though from experience as a primary and secondary survivor I particularly urge caution around expressing violent thoughts or sudden anger that is not in support of theirs (a lot of people who are abuse survivors are also survivors of other types of violence / afraid of anger / additionally since there's incest involved here at an emotionally formative age the emotions are going to be complex). Also, try to avoid associating shame and disgust with what happened to them; any shame and disgust should be explicitly directed at the perpetrators.

The truth is you can't heal them, and they'll need support networks of their own, but by being there for them, believing them and being patient, affirming it's okay to talk and be grieving and not expecting them to be showing constant signs of progress and having 'gotten over it', understanding the hard time it's going to be giving them in all aspects of their life, and being a safe person to go to, you help be part of an environment where healing is possible. It depends entirely on your friends what type of comfort they want—it isn't a bad thing to ask what types of comfort they might especially prefer. Some people like hugs, some people don't, some people just want to be listened to, some people need affirmation and signs of support, validation, and belief. Some people need other forms of support like validating their anger (especially in huge cases of injustice like these).

As for the fact they're suicidal—realise that sometimes their best interests are not going to coincide with what they want, but be very, very careful of calling the cops on them unless you have very strong reason to believe they're goign to do something. It's a lot better to convince someone to seek help voluntarily at the ED than call the police (seriously I had the police called on me recently by my case worker because I said I wanted to talk about my suicidal feelings and they SHOWED UP IN MY ROOM WITH TASERS and caused me more problems, I ended up having the talk I needed to cheer up with a nurse in the hospital). For example I've been suicidal for a decade and only(!) attempted four times in all that. Hospitals make danger levels based on the following: having intention to do it, having a plan to do it, having the means to do it, and the detail/immediacy of the plan. Keep in contact with them though even if it's only to say you're checking up on them. Sometimes having someone to talk to is enough to placate those urges. Still, be mindful of those things though and other warning signs of increasing suicidal urge / intention, and if they might be concealing them from you.

And by looking after yourself, that's another way you can be there for them. I don't mean detaching from them exactly, but I mean finding a way to be okay and to still be their friend, for life to still go on, to not permanently dissociate from them or from having their lives changed. So it is important to look after yourself, and maintain your emotional space, spend time alone, find things to do and think about other than rape. Check up on your other friends. Some people find doing activism or attending events like Take Back the Night an uplifting way to deal with their emotions, some people just need to not think about rape and that's perfectly fine. If you find that it becomes an intrusive thought definitely definitely seek therapy. I would advise you of course not to talk about this to your other friends or anyone who isn't bound by confidentality / a rando on the internet unlikely to come across it I guess, which is why I strongly advocate therapy.

Most of all a lot of acceptance is required.. that a lot of violence happens in the world, that it's structural and individual alike, that it can be fought, that everything takes time and a lot of change, that it's not only your job to handle it, that everyone is interdependent on each other and requires love, care, and checking on (including you), that the future is arriving minute by minute and having even tiny short-term goals and things to look forward to are reasons to live... that such and such a thing happened to people you love but it didn't happen to you, that that's a good thing and you don't need to feel guilty about that, that you don't have to make all of it your pain but yes it's going to hurt when your friends hurt, it always will, and that's a function of caring and loving. Doing your bit proactively to help make the world a little safer for them and speaking out about the related issues is a way of fighting.

Hit me up if you need to talk :) I won't be offended if you need to talk secondary-to-secondary.

edit: While I wish Gabe hadn't brought up gamergate into this thread, I agree that opposing rape (of people of all genders, but it is disproportionately gendered) is a really important feminist issue, and being proactive about both learning and practising that is important. That being said, you don't need to think about rape 24/7 while you're still coping with this, but it's a positive motivator. Also agree with suggesting therapy in a nonconfrontational way when the timing is right but they probably have therapists... helping them stay in therapy (or change therapist if needed, etc.) is also a way you may be able to help them, don't know them personally, just pointing out a thing.

edit2: A thing I often say is that there's only a certain degree to which people's problems are relative. Everyone's worst problem is still their own worst problem. Please do not feel discouraged to get help for your own depression or like it does not matter (it is a thing your friends will understand and wish too).

edit3: Sorry I keep editing, just, this really hit me hard and I care a lot about this issue pretty much more than anything:

Also remember that this is a pain your friends have felt for a long, long time, all their lives; it is new to you, and it is being renewed all the time for them, and it sounds like some of them are at crisis points, but there's a reason we say 'survivor', even if often we do not feel like survivors, that we could have been barely said to be survived.
This is the longest post I've ever taken the time to read fully. But it is very important, and there is a plethora of great tips there. I'm sorry to hear that you have been raped. Though I have never been raped, I've been accused of raping someone. It is a completely fabricated rumor made about me in High School. But it makes me feel bad that someone would say that about me and unfortunately, the mother of the person I truly love heard that rumor and keeps her daughter from talking to me. That has caused me pain for a few months now. But as I said, I've just recently felt down knowing that I can't protect these people that I cherish in life. I've never had a friend commit suicide, and I suffer from anxiety, and I probably wouldn't take it well.
You may know that my dream is to be a touring rockstar. And I've already told some of these friends that when I'm famous, they can stay in my bus and run away from their pain.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Wow. I never thought these were common. I thought having a physically abusive mom was bad enough.
I'm so sorry to hear any of these.

All I know about rape is from the news. A few months ago, in the UK, there was this rich Saudi Arabian millionaire or billionaire who raped a 16 year old during a party at his own house.
He got off with the lamest excuse, "he accidentally tripped over on top of that kid so that he inserted his penis into her"
Oh, and he got absolutely no charges.
Back then, everyone on Yahoo UK was talking about how ridiculous it was.
I thought you'd need like a million dollars for that to be charge free.

But seeing that $300,000 was enough in USA (pressumably you are from USA??), that worried me quite a bit.

I was sexually harassed once in Taiwan. A man who looked like in his 40's to 50's decided to put his hand on my lap when I was on the bus. And he kept that hand there for the whole trip.
All other passengers were students, so no one said anything, because in Taiwan, people don't ever go against with elderly people.
To be honest, those passengers (and the Taiwanese culture) made me angry, rather than the old man.
My stance was, sexual harassment like this doesn't really do any harm.
But the thing is, I didn't say a thing neither.
I didn't scream or even make any sound. I just felt I would embarrass myself if I did.
I know that people are encouraged to make a scream or something like that, but I just really didn't feel like it.
All I thought was "it's not that bad anyway", "it doesn't hurt", "it isn't that scary".

I think I need to learn how to protect myself after reading your stuffs about rape... such as maybe start taking Wing Chun more seriously.
But I probably won't go hitting people everywhere, because not every country has laws for self defense. Some countries like Japan and Taiwan would even be more biased towards their local people during incidents like this.

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have several rape victims close to me and as far as dealing with it goes, I have to accept the reality of it. Knowing the full context surrounding it also helps to come to terms with it (for the victim and anyone else I guess). But unless that person is someone you live with/married to/etc you need to remember that whatever you feel most likely pales in comparison to what they feel. Getting them to talk about it (not necessarily to you, just to someone) so that they can digest it and start getting on with their lives is also something you can do.

Rape is not a gender-specific problem. Rape among women happens in different circumstances to that among men (which require different approaches to help, an important distinction to understand), but it happens to both genders, and you should be striving to make the world a safer one for everyone.

One of my best friend's girlfriend was raped at a party and she was so traumatized that it took her 3 days before contacting the police. However, even in Canada in 2016, the police essentially dismissed the case and did not launch an investigation because a lack of evidence. They simply called the man in for questioning and believed his words. My friend and his girlfriend have been together for 4 years, so this obviously had a profound impact on him. He, along with this girlfriend, became depressed and even suicidal. I did my best to be there for them, telling them to contact me anytime to talk, as well as repeatedly recommending them to get help. This is still going on, but I hope that things will get better for them in the future. As for the OP, in my view, encourage them to make the first step (the hardest part) to getting help and let them know that no matter what happens, you'll be there for them. Rape and sexual assault is horrible, especially with the 'victim blame' culture we live in. I hope that everything works alright OP.

I'm still reading through the above posts but I thought I'd say this now:

IF you are assaulted and IF you decide to report it, do NOT shower/clean yourself until genetic samples (evidence) is gathered. It is also easier to gather said evidence if you report it earlier.T his will give you an easier time bringing your assaulter to justice. Also, don't forget to take anti-STD drugs in order to help prevent catching one.

It is unfortunate that I even feel the need to write the above, because mean & hate filled people keep assaulting others.

Honestly this is something they need more professional help for, you may want to prod them in that direction. As for what you can do, the best thing probably is being available as a friend, letting them know that they do matter and are cared about. But again, really push them to see a professional and have a suicide hotline number handy just in case it comes to that...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)