SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Okay, you know, the current writers are okay at writing a story and having their characters have a wide range of personalities. But here's the thing about that: the story and personalities can honestly be placed in any kind of setting. The Pokemon anime kind of feels like they have the Pokemon setting as just a backdrop, if anything it kind of feels like they only follow things in the game out of obligation. It feels like the writers want to make their own show, something that isn't "shackled" by expectations of a previous existing franchise.

Then again it could be the executives messing up. Maybe the executives don't think what's in the game can stand on its own so they tell the writers to do their own thing and don't worry about pesky little things that are in the game like the plotline (which I remind you have vastly improved in recent generations and only need expansion upon), many notable locations and the lore behind them, and the individual Pokemon's stats/dex description/relation to a certain character.

So to answer you question, yes, I've been watching XY & XYZ and what I'm watching is Anime Adventure featuring Pokemon.
I honestly feel that if the anime's story is exactly the same as what we have in the games, then it's going to be really boring.
Because it's just the same bloody thing.

The anime helps people explore the world of Pokemon, and give more insight to what the Pokemon world is like.
So that, it actually helps you to better imagine what yourself could be like in the world of Pokemon.

We need less story focused episodes and more SoL episodes with good PotD focus, don't get me wrong there are some great CotD and PotD epusodes, but we have seen how awful PotD episodes can get in jotho and how bad CotD episodes can be on an over extended period such as DP. But! in Kalos we got little gems like the litleo episode in wich they showcased the quirks of a single evolution line by using its pokedex entry and the main characters took the backseat.

IT WAS GLORIOUS! One of the few Pokémon episodes that actually showed us not only a Pokemon especies in an endearing way but demonstrated that Pokémon on their own can hold themselves without the need of severe arc focus.

If we had dedicated SoL episodes like this showcasing PotD in such fashion this Anime could get rid of some issues that come with the writers having to follow a character of the day formula that often leaves a bad impression.

We need more episodes like this, not only just epic gym battles or reverse role sub plots that while great aren't able to fully fill the gap between gyms and can only work between character arcs.

Last edited:
I personally don't see why Ash really needs a mega Pokemon at all. If his Greninja has a Forme that works like a mega, then... That basically solves the dilemma. I don't have the time to watch the entire anime, so I rely on summeries to figure out what's been going down in the series.

And so far... I don't see a big issue with Ash "needing" his Zard to mega evolve. This is Kalos, so optimally, his Kalos team would be the big stars. I would much prefer Ash's Greninja being his ace in the hole this season, rather than bringing back Charizard to save the day for him.

I actually feel kind of strange that they aren't giving Ash a Mega Pokemon.
Unless they planned this whole Ash-Greninja mechanism to tease stuff in Sun Moon?
I'd be so happy if Ash temporality brought his Charizard back and somehow got the Charizardite Y. It really bothers me how the anime ( movies and special chapters included ) hasn't acknowleged its existence; At. All.
I am not holding my breath, however. It seems like they're soft resetting the series in Kalos so the chances of Ash bringing his old pokes back are rather slim.

I'd be so happy if Ash temporality brought his Charizard back and somehow got the Charizardite Y. It really bothers me how the anime ( movies and special chapters included ) hasn't acknowleged its existence; At. All.
I am not holding my breath, however. It seems like they're soft resetting the series in Kalos so the chances of Ash bringing his old pokes back are rather slim.
They already soft reset in Unova, the hopes are high, but for the first time Ash actually has a fully evolved team sans Pikachu, this is a complete aversion of the unova disaster with only 3 fully evolved Pokémon of wich only one was given decent development.

Reserves might not come, but I'm quite satisfied with Ash using a real endgame team.

They already soft reset in Unova, the hopes are high, but for the first time Ash actually has a fully evolved team sans Pikachu, this is a complete aversion of the unova disaster with only 3 fully evolved Pokémon of wich only one was given decent development.

Reserves might not come, but I'm quite satisfied with Ash using a real endgame team.
Unova was honestly an attempt at hard resetting that failed miserably ( Ash back to being a novice, Pokemon of different regions were unheard of and etc). Kalos & by extension XY(&Z) pay a lot o homage to Kanto and season 1, respectively. The parallels are easy to draw. The difference is the Ash actually grew as a character (tfw) instead of retroceding. So, imo, XY feels more like a 'soft' reset whereas Black & White was hard and abrupt, which is probably one of the reasons why so many people dislike it, I think.

And yeah, I wouldn't be too upset about it since Ash has a pretty decent lineup ( dat electric weakness tho ), but hey, he's only got 5 pokemon out of 6, so here's hoping!

Unova was honestly an attempt at hard resetting that failed miserably ( Ash back to being a novice, Pokemon of different regions were unheard of and etc). Kalos & by extension XY(&Z) pay a lot o homage to Kanto and season 1, respectively. The parallels are easy to draw. The difference is the Ash actually grew as a character (tfw) instead of retroceding. So, imo, XY feels more like a 'soft' reset whereas Black & White was hard and abrupt, which is probably one of the reasons why so many people dislike it, I think.

And yeah, I wouldn't be too upset about it since Ash has a pretty decent lineup ( dat electric weakness tho ), but hey, he's only got 5 pokemon out of 6, so here's hoping!
Actually, Kalos is often compared to Hoenn, Ash gets to be the tutor to a rookie, gets a late capture, catches a single starter while the rest are given to the companions, we move in a group of 4 and we also get one of the companions doing a non combat side quest.

It also has the Glalie vibes with Noivern, if they pull of a "master" your ice beam side quest Noivern would be the perfect Glalie.

Seriously XY is Hoenn in steroids, the bird doesn't pull a deux ex machina yet still racks up gym wins, the heavy weight is properly introduced, the starter gets a bonding arc, the non evolver one actually gets dedicated episodes, it's own musical score and wins, freaking wins unlike Torkoal and Pikachu isn't a gym hog.

XY is Hoenn done right, we also get freaking genuine interactions between the companions, remember Brock being like a stick in the mud outside of the 4 contest episodes it actually interacted with may before going into a commentator role only talking with dawn to answer her questions in gym battles? Well XY averted this and actually gave the companions reasons to talk to each other in a normal basis.

XY is Hoenn done right, with Ash at DP level and less deux ex machina than ever, getting rid of DP stock footage that plagued us with orbs in BW with actually a likeable 4th member unlike Max and his map with decent enough writing to make the companions feel like a family without wasting time on horrid tsundere episodes to generate drama for the sake of drama like the other heroines.

God, I FUCKING LOVE XY AND XYZ! And that's for being a good Hoenn with better writing than DP.

Actually, Kalos is often compared to Hoenn, Ash gets to be the tutor to a rookie, gets a late capture, catches a single starter while the rest are given to the companions, we move in a group of 4 and we also get one of the companions doing a non combat side quest.

It also has the Glalie vibes with Noivern, if they pull of a "master" your ice beam side quest Noivern would be the perfect Glalie.

Seriously XY is Hoenn in steroids, the bird doesn't pull a deux ex machina yet still racks up gym wins, the heavy weight is properly introduced, the starter gets a bonding arc, the non evolver one actually gets dedicated episodes, it's own musical score and wins, freaking wins unlike Torkoal and Pikachu isn't a gym hog.

XY is Hoenn done right, we also get freaking genuine interactions between the companions, remember Brock being like a stick in the mud outside of the 4 contest episodes it actually interacted with may before going into a commentator role only talking with dawn to answer her questions in gym battles? Well XY averted this and actually gave the companions reasons to talk to each other in a normal basis.

XY is Hoenn done right, with Ash at DP level and less deux ex machina than ever, getting rid of DP stock footage that plagued us with orbs in BW with actually a likeable 4th member unlike Max and his map with decent enough writing to make the companions feel like a family without wasting time on horrid tsundere episodes to generate drama for the sake of drama like the other heroines.

God, I FUCKING LOVE XY AND XYZ! And that's for being a good Hoenn with better writing than DP.
Woah, man. I've never actually noticed that but now that you mention it... woah. Yeah, everything you said makes a lot of sense but I still see a lot of Kanto in XY: Bonnie's gimmick, for example, reminds of Brock's constant flirting, except it comes in the form of a wingman for her brother but alas, at this point we'd be discussing semantics and references that could go either way. Btw, lowkey, I... actually liked Max. Never understood why he got labelled as annoying. The only character who I legitimately found to be completely distasteful was Iris, hopefully they won't even bother to bring her back in XY&Z.

But the interaction bit, again, woah.

We know the title since 2 months, but it wasn't clear that Goodra will stay BUT we managed to have this for XY&Z033

"Strategy 2: His 6th partner arrives!!
As Ash wins his way through the Kalos League, he reaches the point where he has to fight a 6-on-6 full battle. Ash currently has 5 Pokémon on hand. By adding one more Pokémon, his ultimate team is complete!"

So in three episodes after this one, it's impossible that Ash captures and trains a new Pkmn

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So Ash now has two fully evolved Dragon-types on his team? Geez, how's he gonna be beaten, you'd need a Fairy or another stronger Dragon-type... or, right, Alain's Mega Charizard X (I'm not mistaken he's in the League too, right? Like I guess he could battle Trevor's Mega Charizard Y outside of the League though doing it in the League would eliminate a recurring character (Ash can't battle them all, it's technically been a major coincidence he has faced all his rivals in previous leagues)). Like I'm sure Lysandre can set him up to be in the League, though I'd wonder why (could by then they possibly learn Squishy is with Ash & co.? Though I guess also having the possible Champion working for Team Flare would also have its benefits).

So Ash now has two fully evolved Dragon-types on his team? Geez, how's he gonna be beaten, you'd need a Fairy or another stronger Dragon-type... or, right, Alain's Mega Charizard X (I'm not mistaken he's in the League too, right? Like I guess he could battle Trevor's Mega Charizard Y outside of the League though doing it in the League would eliminate a recurring character (Ash can't battle them all, it's technically been a major coincidence he has faced all his rivals in previous leagues)). Like I'm sure Lysandre can set him up to be in the League, though I'd wonder why (could by then they possibly learn Squishy is with Ash & co.? Though I guess also having the possible Champion working for Team Flare would also have its benefits).
He didn't fight Barry in Sinnoh or Bianca in Unova :) And a Fairy type has a favorable matchup vs Greninja, Hawlucha, Noivern, Goodra ! :) Or Even Gary in Kanto

I've recently watched some episodes of XYZ, and wow. The show is so much better now. The animation quality is excellent and the characters feel more developed. Hopefully this is a sign that TPCI realizes how important the anime is to the franchise.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Unless they planned this whole Ash-Greninja mechanism to tease stuff in Sun Moon?
I'd really rather see Ash wielding one of the other mega capable Pokemon he has. Sceptile jumps to the top of the list for me. He certainly has a bond with Charizard, but I feel it would be more... Special with one of his other (albeit few) mega capable mons. Sceptile would work for a number of reasons, although it wouldn't help with his current teams crippling Ice weakness.

I watched the gym match between Ash and Wulfric the other day, was shocked that Wulfric did what he did! Why couldn't that have happened in the games? It would have made the match ten times more epic.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I'd really rather see Ash wielding one of the other mega capable Pokemon he has. Sceptile jumps to the top of the list for me. He certainly has a bond with Charizard, but I feel it would be more... Special with one of his other (albeit few) mega capable mons. Sceptile would work for a number of reasons, although it wouldn't help with his current teams crippling Ice weakness.

I watched the gym match between Ash and Wulfric the other day, was shocked that Wulfric did what he did! Why couldn't that have happened in the games? It would have made the match ten times more epic.
The fact that Wulfric has a Mega in the anime, and Siebold has a Mega in Mega Specials really made me pissed how Pokemon Z wasn't a thing.
Back then I strongly believed that there would be a Pokemon Z.

It always feels that the Kalos story is not finished.

The fact that Wulfric has a Mega in the anime, and Siebold has a Mega in Mega Specials really made me pissed how Pokemon Z wasn't a thing.
Back then I strongly believed that there would be a Pokemon Z.

It always feels that the Kalos story is not finished.
Yeah, me too. I was certain that at least the Elite Four was going to get Megas, and boy, was I looking forward to it!

Regardless, it makes ZERO sense to introduce something so pivotal to Gen 6 and not showcase it using the series protagonist. Synchro almost feels like something they invented to push Greninja.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Yeah, me too. I was certain that at least the Elite Four was going to get Megas, and boy, was I looking forward to it!
I mean, each of them has a mega capable mon. It would have been epic. Z could have been hands down the best game they ever did.

Regardless, it makes ZERO sense to introduce something so pivotal to Gen 6 and not showcase it using the series protagonist. Synchro almost feels like something they invented to push Greninja.
Honestly? I'd pretty much rather this was the reason over them adding something like Synchro/Burst evolutions to Gen 7. Ash-Ninja is a brilliant marketing ploy about having to be closer to your Pokemon and having a special and deep bond. You don't get that sort of connection in the games as such (yeah I know affection/happiness etc, but that's not the same as "closeness").

Sawyer vs Tierno is already the quarterfinal match, that probably means that Ash vs. Sawyer is semi finals.
Which leaves the Ash vs. Alain match as the finals! Holy crap, this'll be the farthest Ash has ever reached in a league! Shame, Ash will either lose, or we'll get a Team Flare interrupt...
Also, there really needs to be a Battle Frontier like arc in the anime; the league belongs to the new guys, but there should be an arc where his old Pokémon get some spotlight and character development!
Yet another thing, Black /White fucked up...

Sawyer vs Tierno is already the quarterfinal match, that probably means that Ash vs. Sawyer is semi finals.
Which leaves the Ash vs. Alain match as the finals! Holy crap, this'll be the farthest Ash has ever reached in a league! Shame, Ash will either lose, or we'll get a Team Flare interrupt...
Also, there really needs to be a Battle Frontier like arc in the anime; the league belongs to the new guys, but there should be an arc where his old Pokémon get some spotlight and character development!
Yet another thing, Black /White fucked up...
Well at least we got Krokodile and scraggy out of BW... Seriously those 2 where the only ones that actually got development even if scraggy didn't evolve.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not sure if anyone talked about this yet, a few days ago they released the sneak peak of the Kalos League:

Here's some notable stuff:
0:06: Looks like there will be battle terrains like in the Indigo League.
0:12: Trevor has a Mega Camera (which also looks to be based on Zygarde being green, black, & hexagonal-looking). The shutter button is the Key Stone (unless he has a second normal camera Trevor must accidentally Mega Evolve his Charizard a few times).
0:18: It looks like like some battles might take place inside a hallway (preliminaries?)
0:23: So it looks like Alain will be participating. I'm guessing Lysandre pulled some strings. Though of course the question is why? To make Alain Champion to give Team Flare larger clout (aka what they should have done with Team Plasma & N last saga)? I mean if it was just because they discover Ash & co. had the other Zygarde Core they'd just probably wait for a moment to do a surprise attack and take Squishy, unless they want Alain to beat Ash to assure he's not a possible threat.
0:25: MEGA CHARIZARD BATTLE!
Other: Ash will be facing a trainer with an Altaria & Furfrou (and both trainers are stylized after their Pokemon, cute).

0:23: So it looks like Alain will be participating. I'm guessing Lysandre pulled some strings.
Other: Ash will be facing a trainer with an Altaria & Furfrou (and both trainers are stylized after their Pokemon, cute).
Actually, it was shown in last week's episode ( XY 123 ) that Alain has been collecting badges on his own. After defeating Korrina and getting the Rumble Badge he's qualified for the Lumiose Conference; Lysandre had nothing to do with it.

Mega Altaria anime cameo plz :(

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Actually, it was shown in last week's episode ( XY 123 ) that Alain has been collecting badges on his own. After defeating Korrina and getting the Rumble Badge he's qualified for the Lumiose Conference; Lysandre had nothing to do with it.

Mega Altaria anime cameo plz :(
Oh, okay, do we know why?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)