Playoffs Smogon Tour 21 Play-offs - Finals [Won by Ciele]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe thats a dumb question but cant luck be "moderated" in Smogon competitive battles?

I mean, we don't play by nintendo rules, and for example you can't put to sleep 2 mons at the same time, to increase clean and fair games. So would it be possible maybe to decrease the "luck part", like critical hits ratio, or increase a little bit focus blast accuracy etc? Because maybe im clearly missing something in which case im willing to know what, but what's the point of having a move like HJK be 90% accuracy? And Air slash, 95%? I dont think for example that focus blast is broken, and the pps are only 8, so why make it like 70% accuracy? It can loose you games you should not, and im not talking only about Sweepage vs Ciele. I bet a lot of people here lost because of that miss. it's not like we had some other good fighting move to play with. For example, people cant complain too much (imo) about a fireblast miss, because hey, they could play flamethrower, its not like fthrower was the weakest move out there. But for stuff like focus blast or HJK its really annoying, we have to play HJK on medicham because it does not have close combat, and we are not going to play drain punch.

I dont play any other game competitively, so how do other games do? Are they luck reliant too? Like Pokemon is. Or maybe you guys think that luck is part of the game and we should deal with it, which is also a point of view I can understand.

The thing is, it's frustrating when a good player is out only because of bad luck, when if the game was clean it would have been different. I can understand that someone who puts a lot of efforts in this game, has his heart broken when rng decides he's not gonna be able to go further.

I dont know if this point already had been discussed here in Smogon, but I think its interesting to know if one day we could do something about it or no.

I don't know, maybe a lot of people would think it's not smart what im saying because i'm missing an important point, but i really dont see what I am missing. I know it wont change because it seems competitive pokemon exists since like more than 10 years now, and Smogon follows exactly the games mechanics (crits, accuracy etc) but yes, I feel something could be improved about that.

Note: everyone here making to final rounds is a great player im not trying to say some people dont deserve this, they are here because they are good. I'm just talking about the luck mechanics, nothing more nothing less.

Note 2: I was writing this post and meanwhile people told me on skype that luck is part of the game (which is true and what makes the game funny), so I would like to erase everything I wrote because it might be bullshit, but I spent like 10mn writing everything, it would be a loss if I erased that. And i dont know, i dont think that the luck part is always that funny when people reach such important level of tournaments.

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
My impression about the Smogon Tour:
Im a bit sursprised about masterclass loss, i consider my bro sweepage like one of the best player actually(you still are)..i gave a look to the dpp matches and masterclass played "bad".
Lemme explain better: when i played Ciele i was super dope on facing him, coz Ciele is a really really good player who is used to confuse you.
When i played BW and DPP, i don't think i played bad, specially in DPP games, but it was Ciele who made me play bad coz he mostly plays safe. I've never seen Ciele making absurd plays during my games, while you expect that from him, especially if you play for an important tournament like this.
If i analyze Ciele, i see standard plays who totally confuse you, he plays safe, and this is kinda amazing.
He's amazing when preparing matches, he really makes a good win-plan, w/o making what i call "special effects".
On my side, and i think on masterclass' side too, i love making prediction, absurd plays, risking as hell, and this type of style will never work against Ciele.
Players like me, and maybe like Masterclass, will always find probs against players like Ciele, a solid player who's not used to make absurd plays, but amazing to prepare matches, to understand the opps playstyle, to analyze everything, and im sure this the reason why me and masterclass lost.
Ciele has a great power, i consider him a "calculator", and he has a big chances to get it!
While on the other side we have cosine180 and soulwind.
I don't know cosine very good, all i can say, he's just amazing, i love watching his battles, he's great at bw, oras and dpp, good luck bro.
While i know very well SoulWind, i know him since a while.
Even if he changed a bit, i honestly think SoulWind is the best player in this Smogon Tour.
He's the player you don't wanna to face, i've seen him during the whole route here and all i can say is "BREATHTAKING".
For his playstyle, his plays are amazing, he prepares matches in the best way, he can mix his playstyle, and i really really think soul wind will win it.
In the end, i hope my bro Wind from Spain will win it, coz he absolutely deserves it, but i will not be surprised if Ciele will get it.
Sorry Cosine, i still love ya! :3 and sorry for my poor english
Good luck, specially to SW!!

Last edited:
ok i know I'm just some "sry dont know u" random, but i need to get this off my chest...

Sweepage got haxed, no doubt about it, but it doesn't help to complain like a little bitch. It wont change anything and it never has. I remember facing 2 opponents in an rby tourney who I got lucky against, and by my own accord I dropped out, because it wasn't me who doesn't know how to accept hax, it was them. The truth is I don't want to deal with nice people hating me every tournament for something beyond my control, neither do the rest of you who played in this one. It is seriously emotionally draining because no one wants to lose friends over luck. Pokemon is a gambling game, there is always a risk and luck is part of every single game. Once we can all accept that we will have no more salt, and maybe even some more winners. Furthermore, the least we can do for sweepage is acknowledge the fact that he didn't lose because he is bad, he is very good in fact, but all the complaining about it is what makes me hate this.

SoulWind

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis the 6th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 32 Championwon the 9th Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Lost 1-2 vs Cosine180, ggs.

I just wanna say thank you to everyone that supported me and helped me during another ST run, it makes me want to continue playing after all that happens. Specially to Sweepage and Ojama, I don't think I could have been right here without you guys. Shoutouts to the kingpin for the basedlord DPP team I used in semis, and Sweepage for being a great friend overall and challenging me to take this tour seriously once again, as well as with team supports.

I hope the better player wins the Final, you both can make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)