2015/16 Football/Soccer thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good thing we wrote germany off from winning the euro's because of that 3-1 home loss in torrential rain with their b squad. It's not like they look strong or anything right phalanx?

That handball goal for Peru was insane and the fact that Ruidiaz claimed that it hit his thigh after the match made it all more hilarious.

Brazil honestly did not deserve to advance, they were horrible in their game against Ecuador (where they should have lost, so karma is a bitch) and tonight against Peru. Dunga is most likely out as manager and so Brazil continues searching for answers. Brazilian fans are all praying for a strong Olympics performance led by Neymar, because this Copa America was just a disaster.

That handball goal for Peru was insane and the fact that Ruidiaz claimed that it hit his thigh after the match made it all more hilarious.

Brazil honestly did not deserve to advance, they were horrible in their game against Ecuador (where they should have lost, so karma is a bitch) and tonight against Peru. Dunga is most likely out as manager and so Brazil continues searching for answers. Brazilian fans are all praying for a strong Olympics performance led by Neymar, because this Copa America was just a disaster.
Ecuador should have gotten the win and peru should have gotten a tie. Either way Brazil were out. Only bad part is for the USA cause I would rather play Peru than Ecuador right now

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Watching the Euros you notice a distinct lack of strikers and that's because they're all in America lol!
Disagree, there's roughly the same attacking talent in Europe as in America (not much in either though, we are at that awkward point when many great attackers are retiring or far from their prime). What is most noticeable about the Eurocup is that there are no teams (or few) with both a great midfield and great strikers.

PD: Iniesta is amazing

Following violence in Marseille 6 British, 3 French & an Austrian arrested. 150 suspected Russians escaped arrest.

really? how do you miss 150 suspects.

Meanwhile, here, in Spain, lots of Spain fans saying they would have prefered to lose instead to win with goal of Piqué.

:/
Actually what I don't get is the hate Pique received. Xavi, Iniesta and many other Catalan players share the same political stance but they were mostly tolerated. Why do most of the hate falls on Pique? Is it because he uses social media a lot (mostly to agitate Real Madrid) ?

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Actually what I don't get is the hate Pique received. Xavi, Iniesta and many other Catalan players share the same political stance but they were mostly tolerated. Why do most of the hate falls on Pique? Is it because he uses social media a lot (mostly to agitate Real Madrid) ?
Iniesta isn't from Catalonia, and Xavi has usually remained quiet for the most part, while Pique has said many inflamatory comments, and he has usually been quite a hipocrite in his political views/statements for the most part . Anyway there aren't actually many (if at all!) fans saying they didn't want Piqué to score.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=pique&src=typd

Scroll through twitter and you'll see, most of the complaints are actually from Catalonian/Barcelona fans, rather than Spanish fans, it's just Maestro Arena exaggerating as usual ;P

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Yes, sure. Barcelona fans are the ones who are supporting Piqué actually lol
If 'supporting Piqué' means 'insulting the rest of the squad', then sure. I'm not denying there is a group of fanatic 'anti-Pique/anti-Barsa' people saying bs, but it is a very small, non-representative part of Spain's fanbase. And honestly, nobody with half a brain should be reading/listening to what those fanatics say, neither now or ever.

Wanted to leave a sarcastic comment about Italy holding onto a 1-0 lead for the majority of the game but that went out so Ill go with the back up plan of, did I was a euro first round game or an actual international competitive game?

What a fucking performance from Italy, that was beautiful to watch. Not because of any offensive flashiness, but because they worked as a one unit and had each other's backs.

Belgium was just awful, too many individuals and not enough teamwork. Lukaku was horrible, Hazard was a ghost for a large portion of the match.

This match makes the expanded tournament format even more of a joke, because Belgium still has plenty of room to make up for their poor play. Pathetic.

Belgium was, as we say here, "tutto fumo e niente arrosto" which roughly means too much smoke and no meat. I kind of expected that since their team really struggled to start a good action from the back also because of their manager's decision to play 4 CBs. Italy created the most chances to score by playing intelligently and with smart combinations + the class of an amazing player like Bonucci and two quite modest players like Giaccherini and Pellé were able to score.

Happy with Conte's decision except keeping Candreva in since towards the end he really showed to be tired and we really risked a lot there but Belgium really didn't create much noteworthy + Lukaku was terrible in the only chance he got so they really were saved by Curtois.

So yeah Italy can probably aim to quarters or semifinals if they keep playing like this

Italy were great, really enjoyed that match. They remind me of Germany 2014 - talented players that are greater than the sum of their parts. Chiellini and Bonucci are fantastic together and what a pass from the latter. Belgium were sucker punched hard.

Speaking of Belgium, they are like a blunted katana. Impressive, but lacking an end product. All of the big names were kept quiet, or were quiet. Lukaku in particular was just poor.

I hope Roy was taking lessons from the 2-0 wins for Germany and Italy. Other team had to commit numbers forward, so the counter attack goal was easy to get (and is how you properly defend a 2-0 lead, not by playing conservatively).

It's been a great tournament so far, really high quality football. Belgium kinda reminds me of England back in the day - team looks great on paper... Italy were great to watch and the team looked organised and really slick even though they don't have the most talented forwards.

Ireland played really well, like seriously impressed! Actually attacked Sweden and was on the front foot most of the match. Hoolahan and Brady were quality and Coleman looked like Maradona for a second. Shame about the own goal and Belgium and Italy coming up will be difficult but even two 0-0s will see them through so there's always hope thanks to this format!

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Lukaku couldn't even take more than one touch without the ball going to an Italian player. If he starts next game considering how many strikers they have then Wilmots has lost the plot.
It's not Lukaku's fault if he doesn't receive a single pass... As I read on twitter throughout the game: ''Is this Belgium team possibly an intricate torture chamber created by hyperintelligent aliens who hate Romelu Lukaku for some reason?''

Couldn't be more accurate. If we analyze Belgium's passing plot for the game we can see that their only 'gameplan' (if it can be called that) was giving the ball to the fullbacks, and, as the truly excellent and best coach of the tournament Marc Wilmots usually says ''Let the players express themselves''. Well guess what, this is 2016 and there are tactically impressive sides like Italy, Germany and even Wales (which Belgium was unable to beat in qualifiers), and furthermore, your fullbacks are actually centerbacks out of position!

Passing plot:

So maybe, and just maybe, having 2 center-backs forced to be 'playmaking fullbacks' and 'expressing themselves' is not a sustainable strategy against good teams, who would have thought.

There are many issues with the way Belgium is structured (or not structured, as you prefer) but honestly no point in listing them anymore, Marc Wilmots has had since 2012 to improve the team and he has shown a clear lack of talent as a coach.

Also see the space left between centerbacks and midfielders when building up play:

Can't remember the last time I saw such a huge gap in the buildup of a (supposedly) top tier team, Belgium basically had no midfield, as neither the centerbacks tried to push forward, nor the midfielders tried to drop deep to get the ball from the back. This is what made Belgium resort to just giving the ball to the fullbacks, as there was no other option available.

Italy were great, really enjoyed that match. They remind me of Germany 2014 - talented players that are greater than the sum of their parts. Chiellini and Bonucci are fantastic together and what a pass from the latter. Belgium were sucker punched hard.
Honestly, I don't think the teams are similar at all, and this Italy team has a shortage of attacking and creative talent... However, it is true that both teams are extremely good tactically and have very intelligent managers, which is why Germany and Italy look like real teams and not just good players running around aimlessly. Italy's defenders are great though, not denying that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)