Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It reduces the knowledge skill cap, therefor dumbing the game down. Which is silly thing to do considering the games are unbelievably easy already. Memorizing pokemon types and the type chart should be rewarding, not just a "good job" man.
It wont dumb down the game, and yes it is making it easier, but to start it not to complete it. This is actually very smart from gamefreak. My sister, for example, stop playing after gen 2 and she do not want to play anymore becuase she dont want to learn the 700 plus pokemons and its typing and she loves pokemon and want to play a new one. With this feature i can safely give it to her or recomend her to buy it and play a new pokemon game again.

Saying if a move is superefective wont change the game for you or me, becuase we already know the type-chart and all the pokemon's typing by memory and with our experience we can know, by a simple glance, the typing of the new ones. The net effect will be more people playing pokemon.

Do You know what will really affect the difficulty (or dumbing down) of the game?? The AI, pokemon distribution in the wild, the pokemons of the gym leaders, elite 4, champion, rival, trainers, bad guys..., route design, legendaries stats and catch rate. These are my real concerns to say if the game is realy dumbing down or not.

Battle Royale:
I’ve been wanting this since I got back into Pokémon in 2009. It’s taken far too long and I am so excited. Also, I hope this improved battlefield in a clearly multiplayer battle will mean that standard Wi-Fi battles look better than their Matrix-esque Gen VI counterparts.
On the rule set we see, the statement of waiting for everyone else sucks does make sense, but I also have another suggestion: there might be more than one rule set. Just saying.

Pipipek:
It’s nice to finally see it’s full design. It’s cute (seriously, this gen is full of cute). I am interested in how it has Skill Link. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

Yungoos:
Stupid name, yet is scary as hell. Stakeout is going to be a great ability, giving it potential to being a great trapper. Let’s see if it has the stats to back it up.

Grubbin:
Well, you’re the ugliest early game Bug-type I’ve ever seen.

So far, the only one of these that I am interested for my playthrough is Pipipek...but I’m already using Rowlet, so screw it.

Soul-Heart:
Yes, it’s officially Super Special Moxie. We need Hackmons Doubles, just for this.

Trainer Customization:
I’m glad to see it back.

“It’s Super-Effective!”
So, no more remembering type charts? This saddens me a little since now people will know what to use against Gliscor (I’ve seen people just both Ground and Electric attacks on it many, many times). Though maybe if Team Four Star does a Nuzlocke of Sun and Moon, they will stop being stupid about it.
Also, maybe this will mean the AI will be less stupid.

Stat changes in the UI? Can someone show me, because right now, the information is rather badly organized.

I like Yungoos.
I made a Yungoos Plushie already.
View attachment 63927
View attachment 63928
Cress, that was incredibly fast.

Tbh, with the whole not having to memorize types thing making it easier...
Who honestly cares? Will it actually ruin the game for anyone? Will it really have been so much more difficult without it? I really don't get arguments against it since it's essentially another way to learn the type chart and like one of the people on the stream said, it's just kind of annoying when you can't remember exactly what type is good against another. There's always gonna be one or two you forget so this is just a nice quality of life thing. So many people forget that Fighting is good against Rock but not Ground for instance. It's not physically making things harder, it's just making it so reliance on rusty memory doesn't fuck you over.

That is not stupid. I can tell you as somebody that did not play a pokemon game since gen 1 and then catch up in gen 5, i missed a lot of things. Telling which move is super effective against a pokemon is helpful to newcomers that do not know the typings of more than 700 pokemons
It's nice, but it's not going to help people get to learn prediction. I guess no trial by error and getting spoonfed might make it annoying.

It's only if you press L, right? If it's in your face it'll be quite ridiculous and will hurt new players from going past a wall.

Tbh, with the whole not having to memorize types thing making it easier...
Who honestly cares? Will it actually ruin the game for anyone? Will it really have been so much more difficult without it? I really don't get arguments against it since it's essentially another way to learn the type chart and like one of the people on the stream said, it's just kind of annoying when you can't remember exactly what type is good against another. There's always gonna be one or two you forget so this is just a nice quality of life thing. So many people forget that Fighting is good against Rock but not Ground for instance. It's not physically making things harder, it's just making it so reliance on rusty memory doesn't fuck you over.
It's not like you can't already just go over to Bulbapedia during the middle of the battle and find it out.

EDIT: In actuality, it makes even more sense thematically with the addition of the Rotomdex. It could be telling you ALL about the typing.

I really don't see why the type hints will be an issue. I know type matchups like the back of my hand and the type of every Pokemon to date, but that's because I've played way too much. I can totally see why they'd add this to help newer players along. It's not like it diminishes the quality of the game for others who already know matchups.

It's not like you can't already just go over to Bulbapedia during the middle of the battle and find it out.

EDIT: In actuality, it makes even more sense thematically with the addition of the Rotomdex. It could be telling you ALL about the typing.
This is assuming that someone always has Internet in pretty much all parts of the world, including in places where you need to pay for the Wi-Fi, or on a plane, or on some public transportation.

I seriously don't see what's the big deal about having the game telling you how effective a move is. I bet that experienced players would mostly ignore that, while newer players, especially children, would find that very helpful.

It's also useful for people that need to refresh their memory a bit. I mean, just for reference, for more than 10 years I didn't even know that Bug wasn't very effective against Fighting! Also, in the last generation they tweaked some types. Who knows, maybe they will tweak some types again like Ice, which seriously needs a buff. If that were to happen, learning the new type match-ups would be a bit easier with this system.

Really loving the new UI. We finally don't have to memorize how much certain stats increased or decreased as well as every Pokemon's resistances or weaknesses. These things weren't exactly hard to remember, but they were still minor annoyances that are finally gone. Also love how the moves are listed vertically instead of a 2x2 square. Its a nice little throwback to the gb games. Pokemon being withdrawn also looks very similar to the anime now, which is nice.

Those HP bars though..... They almost move as slowly as the ones in Diamond and Pearl. Really hoping the developers speed them way up when the games are released.

Other things:
Battle Royal looks like it could be fun with 4 friends, but will probably end up being really boring on Battlespot. Really interested to see how spread moves like EQ and Surf will work in this metagame.

Grubbin and Pipipek are probably the 2 coolest looking early game Pokemon ever. Really hoping their stats end up being good so I will have an incentive to use them over something else like Aerodactyl or Scizor in game.

The general animations and looks of the 3d character models look leaps and bounds better than X and Y. The way your trainer throws the Pokeball looks exactly like the anime.

Environments look much more realistic and natural than in X and Y such as the grass.

Last edited:
It wont dumb down the game, and yes it is making it easier, but to start it not to complete it. This is actually very smart from gamefreak. My sister, for example, stop playing after gen 2 and she do not want to play anymore becuase she dont want to learn the 700 plus pokemons and its typing and she loves pokemon and want to play a new one. With this feature i can safely give it to her or recomend her to buy it and play a new pokemon game again.

Saying if a move is superefective wont change the game for you or me, becuase we already know the type-chart and all the pokemon's typing by memory and with our experience we can know, by a simple glance, the typing of the new ones. The net effect will be more people playing pokemon.

Do You know what will really affect the difficulty (or dumbing down) of the game?? The AI, pokemon distribution in the wild, the pokemons of the gym leaders, elite 4, champion, rival, trainers, bad guys..., route design, legendaries stats and catch rate. These are my real concerns to say if the game is realy dumbing down or not.
Yes it is dumbing it down, anything that removes the need for knowledge is dumbing the game down. Yes, other stuff can dumb it down more (look at gen 5 and all the free win mons in it) but that doesn't change the fact that it is clearly being dumb down. As far as your sister goes, that is her choice, I don't see why I should be okay with a game becoming worse for me because it becomes more appealing to her. Just as she doesn't need to accept my opinion if it makes the game worse for her (in this case that knowledge of the type chart should be on the player not given to you in game). As to the does it ruin the game for me, no, but hell yeah it makes it far worse for me. Part of the enjoyment I have had in the past was figuring out the typings of new mons, like I went quite the way in D/P before figuring out Stunky was part dark until I tried to hit it with a psychic move long after I battled my first one. Now it will tell me not to do this, therefor making the experience worse for me. I want to be punished if I don't know something, not told how to win the game.

Those who are complaining about the game being "dumber" do remember the game is first targeted at kids, and that we're an afterthought of sorts, right?
I'm sorry, but there is a way to make the game accessible without dumbing it down. B/W was incredibly accessible and everything was explained throughout the game and it still was incredibly hitting for teenager/adult audiences with mature themes and cool but not child looking battles and we got to use a trainer that was relatively adult making it look cool for the edgy kids and the older people. This was all without sacrificing any audience in the young department.

This just looks....a bit too childish, I'm sorry. I get this is Pokemon, the trainer (whom will always be a kid) being right next to your Pokemon (distance matters, PBR made it look cool and still show a sort of bond, this just looks like in the cheesiest way possible that "this Pokemon is my best pal for life!") with more saturated coloring with a more "bonds with your trainer" emphasis kind of cheese just makes it look childish and a massive turn off to some adult audiences. That combined with this whole telling what types are super effective which is I assume to always be on your screen just doesn't look appealing at all to me.

From a first impression point of view, I might end up skipping until the inevitable Platinum remake (It's my favorite game of all time so of course I'm going to get the remake!) But from what I've seen so far, it just looks like I'll stick to Showdown for a year. :s

Last edited:
So let me go back to the Zygarde video to argue that it actually reveals a new mechanic.

I'm working off the following assumptions which, as far as I know, are pretty much confirmed:

1. Core enforcer is perfect Zygarde's exclusive move

2. 100% Zygarde only appears through a mid battle transformation
We don't fully understand how this works, but it involves 10% Zygarde having it's HP lowered in battle. But since Core Enforcer is an exclusive move, the dog won't know it until it changes forms in the middle of a battle, which means it has to be a fifth move that only shows up after the transformation.

And considering - as pointed earlier on this thread - that the topic every professor of a new region focus on is related to something introduced in the games that feature said region, this could mean that Kukui's interest for Pokemon attacks may indicate that the new kind of evolution that everybody is speculating about will grant Pokemon access to a fifth powered up move akin to what seems to be the case with 100% Zygarde.

When we look at Ash's Greninja we see something similar. After mastering this new kind of evolution, Greninja gets access to a mega water shuriken, which is clearly a boosted water shuriken. This is far from evidence, but given that the anime has been foreshadowing stuff from Sun and Moon like Magearna and Zygarde perfect form itself, this actually could mean something.

Sure you could argue that every single Zygarde form will have access to core enforcer but it will fail unless used by Perfect Zygarde. While that could be the case I don't think so. One thing is to have smeargle fail a move that's been sketched. Another thing is having a Pokemon learn a move that it can't even use. And you might say that HP changes mid battle were also unprecedented until perfect Zygarde, but there's actually a distinction. This whole mechanic of having to lose HP in order to transform and then getting more HP is clearly a way of keeping perfect Zygarde somewhat balanced while nerfing it too much. Giving a Pokemon a move it can't use unless it undergoes some kind of change, on the other hand, is rather pointless and underwhelming.

Also, unlike the theory I'm putting forward, it wouldn't tie in with any of the hints we've got so far, which do seem to point to the direction of a fifth move exclusive to some sort of powered up stage/evolution. I've even heard there's something like this in pokken tournament which makes something along these lines even more likely.

Stakeout causes the user to deal double damage to anything switching.

Please get Pursuit.
If it gets Taunt and a status recover move we have the best stallbreaker ever.
I would think adding Knock Off to that list would make it pretty beastly too. Stakeout seems like it would benefit from better prediction skills, but if it gets a good variety of Biting moves (Which it should) then Strong Jaw could be a bit more useful for more consistent damage, probably at the expense of being a pretty potent stallbreaker. Plus a wider movepool could only make it scarier to go against.

For that reason, I wonder if any other Pokemon are going to get Stakeout (Would be hilarious as a HA for the Rowlet line... but it'll probably get Early Bird or Insomnia for an HA.) since the power of it seems to, imo at least, depend on the offensive presence of the Pokemon with it without taking switches into account.

gabriel: Perhaps Thousand Waves/Arrows automagically transforms into Core Enforcer when it changes form?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 15)