Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Professor Kukui's area of expertise are Pokémon moves.

2. Solgaleo and Lunala change their form when they use their signature moves, Sunsteel Strike and Moongeist Beam.

3. Gamefreak has drastically changed the move selection screen during a battle and even added type-effectiveness. There is alot of empty space on the left side... (Yeah MEvo button, but might be something else.)

4. Zygarde has enough signature moves to build a full moveset if it can have all at the same time (Land's Wrath, Thousand Arrows, Thousand Waves, Core Enforcer).

5. Magearna's signature move is a beam coming from it's flower shaped cannon. Magearna itself seems to be charged by the souls of fainted Pokémon around it. (Ultimate Weapon much...)

For some reason I have a feeling that we can look forward to a new move mechanic, mechanic change like Gen IV's physical/special split.

How things stand now it makes more sense than you think it does. There's always a trio of legendaries right? and there 4 are islands and 1 artificial island right? For the moment we have the next legendary trio(Lunala, Solgaleo and (¿?) or any other trio) then Zygarde Complete and Magearna.

We got one for each island.

Edit: I remind it would not be the first time a legendary is in 2 legendary groups Arceus is the trio master of 2 trios of pokemon, Creation and Lake guardians Master. Also a Master can be in a trio like Rayquaza.

I don't know, but I've a feeling that we'll have new, different legendaries for each Island. I'm guessing three new legendaries for each inhabited island, and for the (apparently) uninhabited one we'll have the Main legendary of the game (Solgaleo/Lunaala) and likely something else going on with the giant tree (maybe Zygarde, since 50% forme is based on Nidhogg, the legendary serpent eating the roots of Yggdrasil? Not sure at all. Maybe Marshadow? We don't even know how it'll looks like, so it's hard to tell). Magearna looks more like an event legendary to me, but I'm really hoping that event legendaries will disappear from now on, so it would be really cool if it was connected with the XY storyline (as others already said, it could have something to do with the ultimate weapon)... Other than this, I'll be quite disappointed if we weren't able to catch Xerneas and Yveltal in these games, as we know Zygarde'll be there.

Reactions: JES
Fairies are no joke, original fairies would rape men or gorge the eyes out of travelers for fun. Several only feed from bones of children or straight up targeted pregnant women...

Don't go Disney on the real fairies XD.

Then we got the japanese man eater ones like Mawile.
yeah but pokemon fairies aren't bad

I don't think we have an actual confirmation on that yet, unless they did mention something about that. If someone does know, please correct me if I am wrong.
On the top above the moves it says L + A and they explained that that would turn it off

*Edit: I thought there was a post in between, sorry mods.
So... I've been thinking a little about the gameplay we saw featured in the E3 stream yesterday. And I found something odd about it.

The gameplay apparently starts after the initial battle with Hau. The player is in his room, with a level 6 starter. The player then leaves his house, and walks up Route 1, through two unskippable patches of tall grass, and past two skippable ones. Two trainers are battled on the way. Then he enters the village for the second battle with Hau. To me, this raises a question: If the starter is received in the village, how can the player be in his house, without having passed through Route 1? Every Pokémon game starts with the player in his/her house (apart from RSE and ORAS, where you start right outside it instead). You then receive your starter Pokémon before you can get to any tall grass. But evidently, there is grass between the player's house and the village where the starter is received.

OK, so it could be that the game starts by you being "teleported" to the village as soon as you leave the house. But how, then, did the player get back to the house without passing Route 1? There appears to be a mandatory trainer battle just south of the village, which should have been over with if you're free to leave the village after receiving the starter. Looking at the map, it's possible that Route 1 splits, giving you one path with unskippable grass and one without. This can be seen even better in the starter reveal trailer. Still, the trainer is positioned so that he clearly is standing between the village and the fork in the road. He should have been battled as you leave the village with your starter, before you reach the "safe" path back to the house.

There seems to be three ways to solve this dilemma, and how the early-game plays out:

1. You travel up the safe road to the village, receive the starter Pokémon, and take the safe road back as well. The trainer won't battle you without a Pokémon, and he either overlooks you on your way back too, or you can sneak past him. You then have to climb the hill again, visiting the village twice before you can go anywhere else.

2. You are "teleported" both up and down the hill. Gameplay starts, you go outside, you are dragged to the village, receive your starter, and are dragged back to the house before you can go explore.

3. The starters aren't received in the village after all, but rather at the professor's beach house. This would leave Route 1 "virgin" until the time when you have to climb the hill to partake in the festival.

I listed them in order of declining likelihood. It may be that you're intended to explore Route 1 as you go down from the village after receiving the starter, but that it's possible to leave it "untouched" until you have to go back up for the festival. It'll be interesting to see whether you actually have to go the grassy path at all.

Also, since the festival is to honour the guardian Pokémon of the island, I guess it has bearing on the plot immediately afterwards. You win the battle, and get to enter the woods to visit the guardian Pokémon. You arrive to get a glimpse of it, but can't encounter it yet. Maybe even the evil team steals it/scares it away, which kick-starts the plot. This either happens immediately, introducing the legendaries very early in the story, or you have to walk around the entire island and see the guardian just before you return to the village.
the battle isn't mandatory, there's grass inbetween

Last edited:
and likely something else going on with the giant tree (maybe Zygarde, since 50% forme is based on Nidhogg, the legendary serpent eating the roots of Yggdrasil?
I thought Zygarde as a whole was based on the Childs of Loki, 10% form being Fenrir(Wolf), 50% form Jörmundgar(Snake) and Complete form, Hel (Half dead/Half alive humanoid being).

Edit: Btw I noticed something funny the Z if its mirroed and put together with a normal Z it looks like an hourglass. I hope it doesn't have nothing to do with the Sun and moon dials Seen and mentioned respectively back in X/Y

Last edited:
So... I've been thinking a little about the gameplay we saw featured in the E3 stream yesterday. And I found something odd about it.

The gameplay apparently starts after the initial battle with Hau. The player is in his room, with a level 6 starter. The player then leaves his house, and walks up Route 1, through two unskippable patches of tall grass, and past two skippable ones. Two trainers are battled on the way. Then he enters the village for the second battle with Hau. To me, this raises a question: If the starter is received in the village, how can the player be in his house, without having passed through Route 1? Every Pokémon game starts with the player in his/her house (apart from RSE and ORAS, where you start right outside it instead). You then receive your starter Pokémon before you can get to any tall grass. But evidently, there is grass between the player's house and the village where the starter is received.

OK, so it could be that the game starts by you being "teleported" to the village as soon as you leave the house. But how, then, did the player get back to the house without passing Route 1? There appears to be a mandatory trainer battle just south of the village, which should have been over with if you're free to leave the village after receiving the starter. Looking at the map, it's possible that Route 1 splits, giving you one path with unskippable grass and one without. This can be seen even better in the starter reveal trailer. Still, the trainer is positioned so that he clearly is standing between the village and the fork in the road. He should have been battled as you leave the village with your starter, before you reach the "safe" path back to the house.

There seems to be three ways to solve this dilemma, and how the early-game plays out:

1. You travel up the safe road to the village, receive the starter Pokémon, and take the safe road back as well. The trainer won't battle you without a Pokémon, and he either overlooks you on your way back too, or you can sneak past him. You then have to climb the hill again, visiting the village twice before you can go anywhere else.

2. You are "teleported" both up and down the hill. Gameplay starts, you go outside, you are dragged to the village, receive your starter, and are dragged back to the house before you can go explore.

3. The starters aren't received in the village after all, but rather at the professor's beach house. This would leave Route 1 "virgin" until the time when you have to climb the hill to partake in the festival.

I listed them in order of declining likelihood. It may be that you're intended to explore Route 1 as you go down from the village after receiving the starter, but that it's possible to leave it "untouched" until you have to go back up for the festival. It'll be interesting to see whether you actually have to go the grassy path at all.

Also, since the festival is to honour the guardian Pokémon of the island, I guess it has bearing on the plot immediately afterwards. You win the battle, and get to enter the woods to visit the guardian Pokémon. You arrive to get a glimpse of it, but can't encounter it yet. Maybe even the evil team steals it/scares it away, which kick-starts the plot. This either happens immediately, introducing the legendaries very early in the story, or you have to walk around the entire island and see the guardian just before you return to the village.

At E3 they said that the game was already 10~20 minutes into the game, so that's there.
But the player has a starter and has met Tapu Koko,according to Hala, so we have missed some very important minutes.
Also Remember there was a south route out of the hometown, and you may have been to see Pokemon Honolulu before returning. Also we didn't see the whole starting town, so we don't know if there was something in that town as well. Remember that there is a podium like the one in the battle in you hometown too.

I'm going to say this again, you can go around the youngster, and there is optional grass you can go around instead.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Thanks for this. Combining this with a screenshot of level 8 I took, I estimated Popplio's base stats.
Assumptions:
-Neutral nature: Frankly, this is a stupid assumption to make since 4/5 of natures aren't neutral, but I don't care enough to include all the possible stat increases/decreases from natures for what's a very loose estimation already.
-No EVs: Strictly speaking this isn't true, but it's unlikely that Popplio has 4 EVs in any one stat at this point and even if it did it would make a very slight difference.

Stats in order of HP/Attack/Defense/Special Attack/Special Defense/Speed
Level 6:
43-66/18-41/43-66/52-73/52-73/35-58

Level 7:
49-71/21-42/42-64/49-71/49-71/28-49

Level 8:
47-68/22-43/47-68/47-68/47-68/29-49
Combining these, I get:
49-66/22-41/47-64/52-68/52-68/35-49

Doesn't really narrow it down much, but what are you gonna do with such low-level stats. Shame Popplio didn't quite reach Level 9.
There are no IVs with a neutral or negative Speed nature that could account for stat growth of 11->11->12 at levels 6-8, so we know Popplio had a positive Speed nature. Similarly, 13->14->15 isn't possible for Special Attack or Special Defense with a negative nature, so we're left with either -Attack or -Defense.

I'm willing to bet that it was Timid, since no starter Pokemon exist so far with less than 45 base Attack (and only Treecko and Fennekin have 45). That would change its base stat ranges to:
Code:
HP       Atk      Def      SpA      SpD      Spe
49-66    35-56    47-64    52-68    52-68    27-42

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

It's just an E3 demo, so there's probably some stuff cut out of it. They've made heavily modified demos before, like they did with ORAS. Weren't there also playable versions around there, or was that only for zelda? If there were, they probably wanted to get players into the game as quickly as they could, given that each person playing would only have a limited time to do so.

I thought Zygarde as a whole was based on the Childs of Loki, 10% form being Fenrir(Wolf), 50% form Jörmundgar(Snake) and Complete form, Hel (Half dead/Half alive humanoid being).
Being Zygarde 50% a subterranean worm-like serpent, it's almost exactly depicted as Nidhogg, while Jörmungandr is a venomous, sea serpent. I get the other two forms, but a slim dog and a giant kaiju aren't exactly the best example for a giant, ferocious wolf and an half dead and half alive beautiful woman, so I'm not really fonded about the "Loki theory", even if plausible. Maybe they're all mixed, GF doesn't like definite single concepts too much.

It's safe to assume they had been on Route 1 before, as the first battle with Ledyba had the moves' effectiveness listed, meaning it had been seen before. The two trainers on the route looked avoidable, so maybe they had just avoided them before the demo (or they don't appear until you talk with your mom).

It's safe to assume they had been on Route 1 before, as the first battle with Ledyba had the moves' effectiveness listed, meaning it had been seen before. The two trainers on the route looked avoidable, so maybe they had just avoided them before the demo (or they don't appear until you talk with your mom).
no, the battle with ledyba didn't have the effectiveness

I believe the stream also said that pokemon will now be properly proportioned or something? It would make sense, given that your trainer is right there. Can't wait for the wailord vs joltik battles.
Do you mean they will be smaller or more to fit into your Pokedex? Like smaller because with the trainer there a Pokemon so massive wouldn't be able to fit in the game properly or fit into the Pokedex (which btw I have a theory that it's all trainer proposed which is why the feats are blown out of proportion) so pokemon like Wailord will be bigger?

The island that you start in is called MeleMele. That's what Hala Says Anyway.
Also the person explaining the rotom pokedex is kukui, as he says Woo at the end of his sentences, matching the explaination
Lilie has a habit of saying pew.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Do you mean they will be smaller or more to fit into your Pokedex? Like smaller because with the trainer there a Pokemon so massive wouldn't be able to fit in the game properly or fit into the Pokedex (which btw I have a theory that it's all trainer proposed which is why the feats are blown out of proportion) so pokemon like Wailord will be bigger?
I'm talking about during the battles, not the pokedex. Caterpie was noticeably smaller in the demo than it was in gen 6.

For one, they didn't forget Zygarde! This makes me so happy.

Also, our early-game woodpecker friend? I am 100% certain Skill Link is its HA and any in-game ones will have good ol' Keen Eye. That ability is way too good to give anybody that early.

So, guys, a few weeks/months back, after the confirmation of Sun and Moon, fans discovered the trademarks for the names of some of the Pokémon.
How many names were there? I remember the 3 starters, Solgaleo, lunaala, and Marshadow. Was there a 7th name? Could that be one of the legendary guardians?

Reactions: JES
Also, our early-game woodpecker friend? I am 100% certain Skill Link is its HA and any in-game ones will have good ol' Keen Eye. That ability is way too good to give anybody that early.
I find unlikely such a premature announcement of Hidden Abilities. Skill Link is good with the right moves, but does Pikipeak really have any options? Maybe it could get some new moves, but as far as we know it doesn't have any decent STAB to abuse (Fury Attack is still inferior to Return/Frustration), and Bullet Seed isn't that menacing from a low attack without STAB. To me it doesn't look OP at all, it would have been if it had a Flying counterpart of Bullet Seed, but that's pure speculation.

So rewatching the FFA mode, I noticed something pretty interesting.

Look at the number in the gloves. Currently they are all 1s. At first I thought these were going to be point counters, but when you look at this one...

They dont tally up that way at all! But It would make a lot more sense to for them to be place counters. So no matter how far in you are, you can always tell who is the bigger threatening player on the field, and who you would have to protect if you want to win yourself

Hidden Abilities were not announced at all during Gen VI, so why would it happen now?

Firenly reminder that in ORAS you coul catch Boomburst and Brave Bird Tailows in the Wild before PETALBURG FOREST.
By DexNaving, a process that could potentially take hours and that has not been confirmed to return. (I actually got a BB Taillow once, it was quite awesome.)
Hidden Abilities were not announced at all during Gen VI, so why would it happen now?
This generation has broken many traditions. GF has never abandoned a region without a third (or third and fourth) game, so why would it happen now? Wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)