Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that with all this move exclusive multiples platforms porting to SM in RBY/Go we are going to get a lot of demand on hacked stuff for the ivs...Im fine with that to be honest XD.

I just hope they don't do something incredibly stupid such as locking features in SM behind multiple platforms for publicity.

Last edited:
Ah, but is it? Remember the Meowth is the pet of our mother in Sun & Moon and since we moved to Alola from another region is could very well Meowth isn't native.
Yes but remember that you can fill the pokedex by "talking" with a pokemon outside its pokeball so it will be logical that an entry for Meowth can be put in the regional dex.

Now a Pokemon Theory: Even if the pokemon is not native remember how they reproduce. In less than a day they can have a bunch of Meowth/Persians roaming in the hole island, in fact for me it will be hilarious if i cannot catch one in the wild early on but i then i can do it after beating the E4.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
"Man admitted into mental asylum for trespassing in several residential backyards. Claims to have been chasing a legendary bird that causes lightning storms."

...in all seriousness, roaming legendaries were never fun, and that's true even more so today since we only can hope to SR for competively viable legends. It was an unnecessary pain to even get the option to battle them in X/Y, and SRing is completely impractical with the traditional way (if its stats/nature suck, you have to knock it out and respawn for another dice roll. And if it doesn't respawn after being beat in battle, then sucks to be you).

There weren't any roamers in ORAS, so let's hope that remains true in SuMo. Considering Alola is a chain of four islands, there's not going to be a whole lot of wiggle room for roamers anyway.

I'm not gonna lie, I like roaming legendaries because they add an extra level of difficulty in finding them and having to catch them, rather than just having to catch them. And also, I don't think gamefreak has soft reset-ability high on their priority list when it comes to designing rare Pokemon encounter mechanics.

I'm not gonna lie, I like roaming legendaries because they add an extra level of difficulty in finding them and having to catch them, rather than just having to catch them. And also, I don't think gamefreak has soft reset-ability high on their priority list when it comes to designing rare Pokemon encounter mechanics.
That became obvious with the minute and a half cutscenes before even battling them...

It would be time to get legendaries with perfect IVs all around... What are they LEGENDS for? It's not like you can breed one better.

Last edited:
Reactions: JES
I really hope they do a better job with the villains and champion here. IMO the villains in the series tend to fail when their goals are so ambitious they become outlandish. Archie and Maxie are probably the worst in the series, and even though I love Platinum Cyrus' sounded pretty stupid but at least you can say he's a nihilist so there's some logic there. Diantha was as bland as her color scheme and sadly in so many ways was a poor excuse for a champion.

Villains like Giovanni/Team Rocket are more believable because they are just shitty people who want to do bad things. Team Rocket wants power too, but they weren't trying to destroy the world/universe. I remember thinking Lysandre was decent, but it's been a long time since I've played XY to check that.

Also, pokemon champions should be noble and have an interest in protecting their region. This was done well with Lance, Steven, and Cynthia.

That would actually be quite interesting. So, after doing a little research, I think an hypothetical Fire-type "Pele Pokémon" should form a legendary duo with an hypothetical Ice-type "Poliahu Pokémon", since their counterparts are rivals in myths.

Anyway, from what I have found, there is actually a quartet of main deities in Hawaiian culture, which are:

- Kane, father of living creatures and the most important deity;
- Ku, god of war;
- Lono, god of agriculture and connected to rainfalls, peace and music;
- Kanaloa, god of the underworld and ruler of the ocean, is a close companion of Kane.

If these were to become Pokémon, I suppose they could have these types:

- Kane Pokémon: Ground / Normal / Dragon;
- Ku Pokémon: Fire / Steel / Dark (could have Final Gambit as an attack due to its counterpart getting many sacrifices);
- Lono: Grass / Ground (could have moves like Grass Whistle and Rain Dance);
- Kanaloa: Ghost / Water / Dark.

However, the Hawaiian culture is so full of deities that there shouldn't be any trouble finding some material for some legendaries. Among the most important ones there are:

- Pele (as previously mentioned by Vader_the_White), goddess of volcanoes which controls fire, lightning and wind. Potential Fire-, Electric- or Flying-type.
- Poliahu, goddess of snow and rival of Pele. Potential Ice-type.
- Hina, goddess of Moon. Potential Dark- or Fairy-type. Only issue is that it may clash with Lunala.
- Laka, goddess of hula. Potential Normal- or Psychic-type. Could learn many dance moves, like Petal Dance or Teeter Dance.
- Kuula, god of fishermen. Potential Water-type. Could have Suction Cups as its Ability.
- Papa, fertility goddess and Earth mother. Potential Ground-type.

If you would like to find more useful info, this site illustrates many things about Hawaiian myths and legends.
Bolded the part I find interesting as it was mentioned that each island in Alola has a guardian deity pokemon, and there happen to be 4 islands. Maybe they are each based on the main 4 hawaiian deities?
Also, pokemon champions should be noble and have an interest in protecting their region. This was done well with Lance, Steven, and Cynthia.
Don't forget Alder, but he did have other reasons why he was one of the coolest Champions.

I really hope they do a better job with the villains and champion here. IMO the villains in the series tend to fail when their goals are so ambitious they become outlandish. Archie and Maxie are probably the worst in the series, and even though I love Platinum Cyrus' sounded pretty stupid but at least you can say he's a nihilist so there's some logic there. Diantha was as bland as her color scheme and sadly in so many ways was a poor excuse for a champion.

Villains like Giovanni/Team Rocket are more believable because they are just shitty people who want to do bad things. Team Rocket wants power too, but they weren't trying to destroy the world/universe. I remember thinking Lysandre was decent, but it's been a long time since I've played XY to check that.

Also, I'd like them way more challenging in SuMo. 6th gen definitely lowered the difficulty bar with the new exp.share and low levels of the opponents, while I like the fact that we can have the whole team more consistent from the first run, Gyms, villains and the League need to be harder. I need back the B2W2 level of entertainment in these new games. And rematches should become a staple too.

Actually that's another point of speculation, Hawaiian myths. How much inspiration will they take from that?
While we are seeing a slight Hawaiian inspiration in some of the revealed pokemon (the mongoose, diamond dog, and grub for sure) it's actually hard to say if we will get more based on the myths at this point.

The legendaries seem inspired by astrology and alchemy, and I doubt they will be the only ones to follow this theme if the AZOTH theory continues to prove sound. And it wouldn't be the first time Gamefreak did legendaries that didn't exactly match the region inspiration.

Unova had Taoist dragons based on the Yin-Yang despite being pseudo-New York, but still managed to make it connect with the region by making it a metaphor for freedom of opinion and different perspectives, which would be American idealism. Kalos had a very Norse inspiration in Xerneas and Yveltal (and Zygarde-snake form) despite being based on France.

But on the support side, their was a line in the demo that suggested each island of Aloha has a guardian pokemon, so maybe we will get some Hawaiian-myth inspired legendaries (like a new sub-trio like the 'birds, 'beasts, 'rocks, 'pixies, and muskadeers). And I know I would love a Pele inspired monster.

There's nothing the champions "should" be, other than powerful. The current champion at any particular time is the person who won. They could be noble, protective, destructive, a child molester, whatever.

Otherwise, I agree completely. The XY villains and story were just epic failures. They think grander shit like the fate of the world being at stake (or going into space -- what an embarrassment) is "cooler" for players, but something isn't cool, or anything else, if it's too implausible to seem real; then, it's just nothing (and compromises the whole game as a result).

What about a villian team whos desire is to remove all non Alola endemic pokemon, claiming a problem with this. Could be a metaphore for imperialism/nationalism or inmigration. Could be too controversial, but very relevant.
Well, most previous teams have used the regional rodent; so this could easily tie into why they all have Yungoos.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Actually the more and more I read Yungoos's bio the more and more I'm seeing Trump in it:
Yungoos is a big eater that is never satisfied. The majority of its long body is given over to its stomach, and its digestion is swift, so it’s always hungry.
As seen in the clip Trump is quite very greedy. The majority of his money is spent on investments, and he goes through it quick, to earn more money.
It has strong fangs, so it can crush and consume the hardest of objects.
He crushed all of the other Republican candidates due partly to his big mouth.
Each Yungoos chooses its own particular route for searching out prey.
Trump is repetitive on what he says liking to stick to certain topics, mainly attacking other people.
It stalks along this route searching for food until it’s exhausted, at which point it drops and sleeps wherever it may be.
Doesn't care what he says and will go on as long as he feels like it.
It's thought that these Pokémon decide their routes based on safety, so that there’s no risk in falling asleep at any time.
As I said, he keeps to certain topics he feels safe about reiterating.
Yungoos is not a Pokémon that is native to the Alola region. It was brought to the region to help deal with the explosive population of a certain other Pokémon, and now Yungoos are commonly seen around the Alola region.
Donald Trump was actually a Democrat until recent years when he switched sides to help the Republican party due to the Democrats winning the presidency. Now his own popularity had exploded and he's commonly seen in the Republican Party as their presidential candidate.
Some Yungoos have an Ability that no other Pokémon discovered has previously had.
Trump has done and said a lot of things you wouldn't think a presidential candidate would ever done.
This Ability is known as Stakeout. With the Stakeout Ability, this Pokémon’s moves can deal twice the normal damage to any Pokémon that switch in or enter the field mid-battle.
His main targets are immigrants.
Since this Pokémon is so common in the Alola region, it’s easy to catch one.
It's not hard to see something bearing his name or even finding a supporter of his.
But this Pokémon has a terrible temper when it’s hungry—and it demands a whopping amount of food.
And sadly Trump is never not hungry (aka greedy).

There's nothing the champions "should" be, other than powerful. The current champion at any particular time is the person who won. They could be noble, protective, destructive, a child molester, whatever.

Otherwise, I agree completely. The XY villains and story were just epic failures. They think grander shit like the fate of the world being at stake (or going into space -- what an embarrassment) is "cooler" for players, but something isn't cool, or anything else, if it's too implausible to seem real; then, it's just nothing (and compromises the whole game as a result).
While true, if the Champion is nothing but a strong trainer that makes them a bland character which you wonder how did they even get to the position of leader of the league? Blue was a personal experience, we battled him at every corner and showed he was the toughest challenges he had (and we've been the only ones able to defeat him) thus no surprise he was the Champion. Lance was a previous Elite Four member and when he became Champion he took action against Team Rocket at the Lake of Rage shutting down the evolution machine with the player's help (and if it wasn't for him he wouldn't have been able do that). Steven and Wallace are both seen handling the situation when the weather goes out of control and helping the player get to where they needed to go. Cynthia went with the player into the Distortion World and stood by while the player took on Cyrus (unassumingly would have jumped in if things got out of hand). Alder purposely went to face N when he knew of Team Plasma's plans. But that's where thing's stop as Iris and Diantha didn't really show any reason why they would be Champions. Iris helped you early in the game but it was just suggesting to look for Team Plasma in the sewers, and Diantha only talked to Lysandre and later the player about nothing important. At least Iris had the previous games and the Memory Link to help build up her being a Champion, but Diantha felt just there thus I didn't feel any sense of anticipation when I faced her. She was just another challenge instead of the Champion who had helped me save the world as previous ones did.

Team Flare felt disjointed, like they combined two themes together (Team Flare being a "for profit" organization while Lysandre wanted to cull the world for he feels there are too many selfish people. One is outright villainous while the other is a righteous extremist). Another point against them is they came right after Team Plasma, a group we saw throughout the stories of Gen V and had been expanded upon more than any other villain team had gotten before (usually it's just the boss). But Team Flare we only saw a few times and we take care of them before the 8th Gym (also in BW and BW2 the leaders of Team Plasma had a Legendary on their side making it feel like only the player could deal with them).

What about a villian team whos desire is to remove all non Alola endemic pokemon, claiming a problem with this. Could be a metaphore for imperialism/nationalism or inmigration. Could be too controversial, but very relevant.
Well, most previous teams have used the regional rodent; so this could easily tie into why they all have Yungoos.
Team Trump, they will make the Alola region great again.

While true, if the Champion is nothing but a strong trainer that makes them a bland character which you wonder how did they even get to the position of leader of the league?
By...being the strongest trainer? That's the whole point. If you become champion by defeating the previous champion, the only quality required to become champion is strength. Whether the particular champion is an engaging character or not is a separate issue, but the idea that the person "should" be any certain way besides strong is just incorrect. (Obviously, if we instead assume the person is selected by the league or something, it becomes more complicated and other characteristics might be relevant to the selection.)

But that's where thing's stop as Iris and Diantha didn't really show any reason why they would be Champions. Iris helped you early in the game but it was just suggesting to look for Team Plasma in the sewers, and Diantha only talked to Lysandre and later the player about nothing important. At least Iris had the previous games and the Memory Link to help build up her being a Champion, but Diantha felt just there thus I didn't feel any sense of anticipation when I faced her. She was just another challenge instead of the Champion who had helped me save the world as previous ones did.
Reason they would be champions? If they were depicted as too weak to plausibly have become champions, then okay, sure. But their roles in the story are irrelevant to whether their holding the post makes sense. (Going in reverse, you could definitely argue that it doesn't make sense the strongest trainer didn't intervene more in the high-stakes events of the story, which IMO is true of almost all the games (and probably another (small) reason the stupid end-of-the-world storylines don't work), but it's important to be clear that the reasoning flows in that direction, rather than the other.)

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
By...being the strongest trainer? That's the whole point. If you become champion by defeating the previous champion, the only quality required to become champion is strength. Whether the particular champion is an engaging character or not is a separate issue, but the idea that the person "should" be any certain way besides strong is just incorrect. (Obviously, if we instead assume the person is selected by the league or something, it becomes more complicated and other characteristics might be relevant to the selection.)

Reason they would be champions? If they were depicted as too weak to plausibly have become champions, then okay, sure. But their roles in the story are irrelevant to whether their holding the post makes sense. (Going in reverse, you could definitely argue that it doesn't make sense the strongest trainer didn't intervene more in the high-stakes events of the story, which IMO is true of almost all the games (and probably another (small) reason the stupid end-of-the-world storylines don't work), but it's important to be clear that the reasoning flows in that direction, rather than the other.)
While that is one point, the Champion should get involve with things since they're the strongest trainer, I'm more talking from a player experience. So you've beaten the Gym Leaders, taken down an evil organization, gone through the Elite Four, and now it's time for the Champion. You've faced all sorts of trainers on your way, you've seen all the battling styles, and now it time to face the Champion... who is yet another random person you never seen before. You feel nothing. You think nothing. You just plow through them like everyone else because you know you're going to beat them. Who cares? Who cares if they're made as the strongest NPC in the game. They're just a random face; YOU'RE the one who's faced adversity and saved the world. This person doesn't even hold a candle to you. THIS was the best the game could toss at me? You might as well had just crowned me Champion after beating the Elite Four. Or in the case of Iris and Diantha you've seen this trainer a few times around, they've done little to nothing, and now you're told their the Champion? Where were they then? If anything that makes it worse as you've actively seen them around and when trouble starts they're nowhere to be found?

Now imagine instead of being a random person it's that strong trainer that helped you take down the villain team and/or stopped the game's major calamity! No wonder why they were in the midst of the action and a valuable ally! And now you need to face them. This is no random NPC who just relies on their title to impress the player, this is a character who had proven themselves to the player prior challenging them. And even if you were told they were the Champion before this that just turns the surprise into anticipation. You'd be walking to the Champion room thinking up next is the person who played a major part in helping you save the day. Even if you never saw them battle you're looking forward to battling them. Both of you have proven to be worthy trainers, now time to see who's the best between the two (and yeah, it's still you, but there's now a bit of personal investment).

In summary, WHO CARES if they're the strongest NPC. In the back of your mind you know you're going to beat them so that fact is irrelevant. The Champion you'd want someone who stands out, someone who does answer the call when trouble starts, someone who may provide a mentor figure to the player or give them words of wisdom and a hand. You meet unique people throughout your journey, another unique person at the very end is nothing.

It's just one Pokemon chill. I doubt Pokemon would go to the political realm, at least I hope to god not because I literally play Pokemon to escape (yet connect in a weird way) from reality and I don't want some of the most annoying aspects of reality (politics) talked about.

I hope they retain the universal messages desired, BW is one of my favorite stories and that was still pretty universally themed.

While that is one point, the Champion should get involve with things since they're the strongest trainer, I'm more talking from a player experience. So you've beaten the Gym Leaders, taken down an evil organization, gone through the Elite Four, and now it's time for the Champion. You've faced all sorts of trainers on your way, you've seen all the battling styles, and now it time to face the Champion... who is yet another random person you never seen before. You feel nothing. You think nothing. You just plow through them like everyone else because you know you're going to beat them. Who cares? Who cares if they're made as the strongest NPC in the game. They're just a random face; YOU'RE the one who's faced adversity and saved the world. This person doesn't even hold a candle to you. THIS was the best the game could toss at me? You might as well had just crowned me Champion after beating the Elite Four. Or in the case of Iris and Diantha you've seen this trainer a few times around, they've done little to nothing, and now you're told their the Champion? Where were they then? If anything that makes it worse as you've actively seen them around and when trouble starts they're nowhere to be found?

Now imagine instead of being a random person it's that strong trainer that helped you take down the villain team and/or stopped the game's major calamity! No wonder why they were in the midst of the action and a valuable ally! And now you need to face them. This is no random NPC who just relies on their title to impress the player, this is a character who had proven themselves to the player prior challenging them. And even if you were told they were the Champion before this that just turns the surprise into anticipation. You'd be walking to the Champion room thinking up next is the person who played a major part in helping you save the day. Even if you never saw them battle you're looking forward to battling them. Both of you have proven to be worthy trainers, now time to see who's the best between the two (and yeah, it's still you, but there's now a bit of personal investment).

In summary, WHO CARES if they're the strongest NPC. In the back of your mind you know you're going to beat them so that fact is irrelevant. The Champion you'd want someone who stands out, someone who does answer the call when trouble starts, someone who may provide a mentor figure to the player or give them words of wisdom and a hand. You meet unique people throughout your journey, another unique person at the very end is nothing.
And somehow Iris is still my favorite champion. She is just fun, fucking unadulterated dinosaur madness fun. From doing a big GAO at the start of a fight on top of a pyramid that somehow becomes rainbow road to a music composed for a fun battle in rainbow road with percussions to match fighting dinosaurs in rainbow motherfucking road to a focus sash DD user as her ace IN RAINBOW MOTHER FUCKING ROAD!...Well color me impressed, that was fun.

Blue was fun, diverse team, in the remakes adds a Ttar and well that's pretty much it, several teams depending on your starter and a decent battle.

We don't need a Mary Sue hogging our playtime....Cynthia came along as that with her rambling, then Zinnia blew her out of the water as the ultimate Mary Sue that passes the torch to you...

Honestly, we just need a fun battle to make a champion memorable.

Let's be honest Alder left a bigger impression in me that Cynthia for the stuff he said even if his battle was...mediocre...but that doesn't mean we need a playtime hog to make a champion good.

Last edited:
I'm kind of hoping that they do a surprise twist for the champion of this region and make your mom the champion.

Like... that would be very different, yet also cool. I'm tired of how your in-game mom does next to nothing but stay in their house. Making them the champion would make them sooo much more interesting. Some concepts could be that your mother can be found on separate occasions through the game, seeing how their child is growing up more and more with each encounter, and when you finally face her, she notes how proud she is of you, and how far you've come to becoming a great trainer, and that she won't hold back from facing you. Tears man. Tears.

I doubt GF would do something like that, but it would make a future champion much more interesting and even memorable if they do it right.

Reply to below: Oooh, right I forgot about that bit. Whoops.

Last edited:

boxofkangaroos

this is the day of the expanding man
I'm kind of hoping that they do a surprise twist for the champion of this region and make your mom the champion.

Like... that would be very different, yet also cool. I'm tired of how your in-game mom does next to nothing but stay in their house. Making them the champion would make them sooo much more interesting. Some concepts could be that your mother can be found on separate occasions through the game, seeing how their child is growing up more and more with each encounter, and when you finally face her, she notes how proud she is of you, and how far you've come to becoming a great trainer, and that she won't hold back from facing you. Tears man. Tears.

I doubt GF would do something like that, but it would make a future champion much more interesting and even memorable if they do it right.
I don't think it makes much sense in this case, since you and your mom just moved to Alola from another region.

I don't think it makes much sense in this case, since you and your mom just moved to Alola from another region.
"Oh hi, honey. It seems being a remarkably good Pokemon battler runs in the family doesn't it? I just became the champion not too long ago. I decided to challenge the local gym leader myself for fun soon after you beat him/her to see what the fuss was all about and I thought it was fun! Don't worry about your mom beating you to becoming the champion, I managed to catch up and beat you too it while you were taking care of that pesky Team *INSERT NAME HERE*. Now, my son/daughter, don't hold back! I know I won't!"

Now THAT would be a fun twist! Your mom also challenging gym leaders while you go and do the "plot"

I rather disagree with this notion though.
As was pointed before, being the Champion just means you're the strongest. That doesn't play to who you ARE at all. To make the Champion memorable, they do need a personality beyond that, but the problem is... to me it seems you're trying to fit the Champion into this single, idealized model where they should be helping you out. There are other ways to make the Champion memorable, and I'd be more interested in exploring such ways, as Champions that help you have been done, well, multiple times.
Nothing says the Champion has to be a good person. They kind of did this with Malva (As an E4), with her being part of Team Flare, but it was executed rather badly since this didn't really matter in the slightest.
In theory, you could totally have the villain team leader be the Champion. (Which was again, sort of done with N, who became the Champion, and he WAS the king of Team Plasma. He's not the real leader though) This would also explain why the Champion isn't there helping you out as they should, y'know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 25)