Event Discussion

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Voting with the idea of the pokemon winning being part of a give-away is counterproductive to begin with. To get an actual popularity contest going you have to state that no give-aways will come from this and take better measures to allow for pokemon to be ranked better (allowing for more picks per a person helps with this some). But of course, then you run into the issue that most surveys run into, people tend to not care if they are not getting anything out of it. ~shrug~ TDLR: Surveys are annoying to get data from.
I think the bigger problem is, they did nothing towards the Pokemon whose Japanese name started with A.
We know that those Pokemon are not that popular.
We know that there was some confusion during the voting process.
But they did nothing about it.

I think the bigger problem is, they did nothing towards the Pokemon whose Japanese name started with A.
We know that those Pokemon are not that popular.
We know that there was some confusion during the voting process.
But they did nothing about it.
I am not familiar with Japanese pokemon names, which one is it and what is the issue involving it?

A couple new ones today.

"For those of you who are to attend US Nationals on July 1st through 3rd, the special distribution has finally been announced. The Pokémon you will receive will be a Shiny Machamp based on the Machamp used last year by Senior World Champion Mark McQuillan that helped him to victory and matches the distribution at UK, German & Italian Nationals. It's Level 50 with the moves Dynamic Punch, Stone Edge, Wide Guard & Knock Off."

"A new Japanese event has been announced. From July 16th through September 4th, the special Pokémon Lab event will have moved to Osaka and with this comes three new distributions. Like the ones from December until March, when at the Pokémon Lab, you'll be able to receive Serial Codes for the Johto Starter Pokémon, Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile. Once again, there appears to be nothing special about these Pokémon."

~Serebii

Simisear is being distributed in the Pokémon Centers across Japan to celebrate the fact that it lost the Pokémon Elections. Today, as the event started, we have got full details of this event. It is Level 5 with the Air Balloon and comes with the moves Work Up, Hone Claws, Power-up Punch and Giga Impact. Before now, it couldn't learn the move Work Up outside of Generation V. This event will be distributed in Pokémon Centers until July 15th 2016.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Simisear is being distributed in the Pokémon Centers across Japan to celebrate the fact that it lost the Pokémon Elections. Today, as the event started, we have got full details of this event. It is Level 5 with the Air Balloon and comes with the moves Work Up, Hone Claws, Power-up Punch and Giga Impact. Before now, it couldn't learn the move Work Up outside of Generation V. This event will be distributed in Pokémon Centers until July 15th 2016.
... Really? You have this perfect joke sitting right in front of you, the Pokemon that, by election, is considered the "worst" Pokemon. You decided to give it out as an Event, meaning you can do ANYTHING with it that you want. And you took this beautifully wrapped gift tied with ribbon... and threw it in the trash.

REALLY?! The only special thing about it is Work Up? Ooh, that's sure a reason to give it out as an event! You could have at least given it an Event Move (or any kind of Fire-type move. Here's an idea, how about instead of Giga Impact you give it Blast Burn), but nope. Here's a Simisear that was no better back in Gen V.

What's the point? Why bother? Like you could have even gone with people's opinion that its the worst by giving it a joke moveset (give it Splash or maybe even Water Sport). *Sigh* You know there's something disappointing about these elections, but it's no Simisear.

... Really? You have this perfect joke sitting right in front of you, the Pokemon that, by election, is considered the "worst" Pokemon. You decided to give it out as an Event, meaning you can do ANYTHING with it that you want. And you took this beautifully wrapped gift tied with ribbon... and threw it in the trash.

REALLY?! The only special thing about it is Work Up? Ooh, that's sure a reason to give it out as an event! You could have at least given it an Event Move (or any kind of Fire-type move. Here's an idea, how about instead of Giga Impact you give it Blast Burn), but nope. Here's a Simisear that was no better back in Gen V.

What's the point? Why bother? Like you could have even gone with people's opinion that its the worst by giving it a joke moveset (give it Splash or maybe even Water Sport). *Sigh* You know there's something disappointing about these elections, but it's no Simisear.
And then it's the worst kind of full-physical. PuP and Giga Impact? (With Work Up and Hone Claws, that is three, count them, three, physical setup moves on one set.) And then an Air Balloon when it isn't even weak to Ground? EDIT: DAMN, I THOUGHT IT SAID SIMIPOUR. MY BAD. Did they literally pull moves out of a hat or something?

BTW, Water Sport isn't totally useless because Doubles. Although who would use a Simi in Doubles is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And then it's the worst kind of full-physical. PuP and Giga Impact? (With Work Up and Hone Claws, that is three, count them, three, physical setup moves on one set.) And then an Air Balloon when it isn't even weak to Ground? Did they literally pull moves out of a hat or something?

BTW, Water Sport isn't totally useless because Doubles. Although who would use a Simi in Doubles is anyone's guess.
Simisear is weak to Ground, but still it doesn't really help much.

Yeah, honestly, giving out this pointless simisear is not going to raise its popularity or use. They could have done any number of things to make it better, say a special move, make it shiny, perfect IVs, or whatever. I'm not going to waste my time on a simisear in a cherish ball with work up.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think the joke is that it has all these power-up moves to power up one final amazingly powerful strike.

It's not that funny.
Honestly I would have gone the opposite direction, since its the least popular it gets moves which decreases its: Close Combat, Hammer Arm, V-Create, Overheat, Curse, etc..

Of course all my suggestion go against GF's newest philosophy on Event Pokemon: they shouldn't be any better than something you can get in the game. That was the point of the pentagon system, to get all those Event Pokemon who had Special Moves out of the system. In GF's view we should probably be grateful they allowed Simisear to have Work Up again.

On one hand I see where they're coming from, if the special move they gave to an Event Pokemon is too powerful/useful it makes anyone who didn't get a chance to receive the event at a possible disadvantage. But on the other hand this sort of means there's no point for any Event Pokemon that isn't Mythical or a Shiny Pokemon that's been Shiny locked in the game (which itself is an artificial restriction). Not to mention they make an Event's Pokemon IVs the same as a normal Pokemon so it most likely will not like its "battle ready" out of the gate and unless you invest a lot of time soft resetting possibly never will.

There has to be a middle ground somewhere.

Honestly I would have gone the opposite direction, since its the least popular it gets moves which decreases its: Close Combat, Hammer Arm, V-Create, Overheat, Curse, etc..

Of course all my suggestion go against GF's newest philosophy on Event Pokemon: they shouldn't be any better than something you can get in the game. That was the point of the pentagon system, to get all those Event Pokemon who had Special Moves out of the system. In GF's view we should probably be grateful they allowed Simisear to have Work Up again.

On one hand I see where they're coming from, if the special move they gave to an Event Pokemon is too powerful/useful it makes anyone who didn't get a chance to receive the event at a possible disadvantage. But on the other hand this sort of means there's no point for any Event Pokemon that isn't Mythical or a Shiny Pokemon that's been Shiny locked in the game (which itself is an artificial restriction). Not to mention they make an Event's Pokemon IVs the same as a normal Pokemon so it most likely will not like its "battle ready" out of the gate and unless you invest a lot of time soft resetting possibly never will.

There has to be a middle ground somewhere.
I think a good middle ground would be providing an update to the game to add the new move to it's level-up movepool.
So say, for instance, Simisear was given V-create through this event. A subsequent update - whether when the event is given out, or a week or two later so those who got the event can feel a little more special about it - would then make V-create a level 1 move for it. Plus, it's the sort of update that wouldn't affect compatibility - as we've seen with ORAS teams vs XY teams, someone who has access to a move the other player doesn't works completely. Someone in ORAS can totally use their mystical fire shock wave Mismagius against an XY player and even trade it to them without there being any problem.

Maybe this is wishlisting but I think it'd be the ideal solution.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think a good middle ground would be providing an update to the game to add the new move to it's level-up movepool.
So say, for instance, Simisear was given V-create through this event. A subsequent update - whether when the event is given out, or a week or two later so those who got the event can feel a little more special about it - would then make V-create a level 1 move for it. Plus, it's the sort of update that wouldn't affect compatibility - as we've seen with ORAS teams vs XY teams, someone who has access to a move the other player doesn't works completely. Someone in ORAS can totally use their mystical fire shock wave Mismagius against an XY player and even trade it to them without there being any problem.

Maybe this is wishlisting but I think it'd be the ideal solution.
Hm, that solves one problem but that'll make the original Event Pokemon a bit redundant. How about instead of adding it to the species's movepool make an Event Tutor which will be able to teach the move. If you have the Event Pokemon in your party they'll teach the move to another Pokemon for free, but otherwise it'll cost a lot of money (that way if gives those who got the Event Pokemon a bonus while still letting everyone have some form of access to it).

The worst part: they could have given it Celebrate, Hold Hands, or Happy Hour. Three "typical" event moves that really no one would care too much about. But they didn't.
Yeah, I'm surprised it doesn't have one or more of those moves, probably Hold Hands to represent it's last place position.

Hm, that solves one problem but that'll make the original Event Pokemon a bit redundant. How about instead of adding it to the species's movepool make an Event Tutor which will be able to teach the move. If you have the Event Pokemon in your party they'll teach the move to another Pokemon for free, but otherwise it'll cost a lot of money (that way if gives those who got the Event Pokemon a bonus while still letting everyone have some form of access to it).
Thing is... is there a reason for the event Pokémon themselves to not be redundant in this case?
Event Pokémon generally serve the purpose of, as it says, marking an event. And that's just it. An event. You can say you were there when it happened. And as part of the event, this Pokémon was granted a new move. And if the move is particularly useful, believe me, you do not want to be a competitive player when that happens. You don't wanna sit there soft-resetting for days on end until they're finally actually useful. Especially in the case of things like Aura Sphere Raikou where they end up locked into a nature that is really not the best nature for them (in this case Rash where instead a speed-increasing nature would have been much preferred; without Timid it loses one of it's key attributes - it's speed).
I realise this is basically talking about competitive a lot, but the way I see it; this way everyone wins - and those who do get the event? They get it first before everyone else, and they still get to say "I have this. I was there."
It's like a pass to a convention after the event. It is technically useful and dead weight after you've been, but it's memorabilia. A reminder of what happened.

Thing is... is there a reason for the event Pokémon themselves to not be redundant in this case?
Event Pokémon generally serve the purpose of, as it says, marking an event. And that's just it. An event. You can say you were there when it happened. And as part of the event, this Pokémon was granted a new move. And if the move is particularly useful, believe me, you do not want to be a competitive player when that happens. You don't wanna sit there soft-resetting for days on end until they're finally actually useful. Especially in the case of things like Aura Sphere Raikou where they end up locked into a nature that is really not the best nature for them (in this case Rash where instead a speed-increasing nature would have been much preferred; without Timid it loses one of it's key attributes - it's speed).
I realise this is basically talking about competitive a lot, but the way I see it; this way everyone wins - and those who do get the event? They get it first before everyone else, and they still get to say "I have this. I was there."
It's like a pass to a convention after the event. It is technically useful and dead weight after you've been, but it's memorabilia. A reminder of what happened.
Maybe it could be something like a "next generation" kind of deal. That way those of you get the event "early" and then next generation you'd get it. That way it remains "exclusive" to an extent while also allowing others to eventually get it.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And I suppose the Event Pokemon coming in a Cherish Ball is good enough as a bonus (double so if its Shiny). I'd still argue Event Pokemon should just have perfect IVs and the only thing you need to do is soft reset for the right nature and EV train it.

Maybe it could be something like a "next generation" kind of deal. That way those of you get the event "early" and then next generation you'd get it. That way it remains "exclusive" to an extent while also allowing others to eventually get it.
I half agree with this. If it's a normal move that Pokemon normally doesn't learn, sure. Add Aura Sphere to Raikou's movepool, by all means. However I become a bit hesitant to the idea when it concerns Signature Moves. V-Create Rayquaza is wonderful but to me that screams generation exclusivity special. As I said, I think GF wants to wipe the slate clean for each new generation for now on and that means Signature Moves return to being Signature Moves at the start of the new gen.

"For those of you in the United Kingdom, the shiny Xerneas event has been announced. If you go to the Year of Pokémon area of the Nintendo booth in the Hyper Japan Festival in Olypmia, London from 15th to the 17th of July, you can pick up a serial code to get you the special Level 100 Shiny Xerneas. This Xerneas is the same one as has been distributed throught Europe the past few months, and mirrors ones from the US and Japan over the last 9 months"

Are you joking
Are you actually honest to god joking right now

What the fuck

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
"For those of you in the United Kingdom, the shiny Xerneas event has been announced. If you go to the Year of Pokémon area of the Nintendo booth in the Hyper Japan Festival in Olypmia, London from 15th to the 17th of July, you can pick up a serial code to get you the special Level 100 Shiny Xerneas. This Xerneas is the same one as has been distributed throught Europe the past few months, and mirrors ones from the US and Japan over the last 9 months"

Are you joking
Are you actually honest to god joking right now

What the fuck
Why is Europe being so weird with the distribution of these 3? Japan was via code you got from watching the anime (or checked online later for), US was just a straight download. But Europe? Each country seems to be giving them out as a serial code card for a real life event. Just have them over wifi like everywhere else.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Why is Europe being so weird with the distribution of these 3? Japan was via code you got from watching the anime (or checked online later for), US was just a straight download. But Europe? Each country seems to be giving them out as a serial code card for a real life event. Just have them over wifi like everywhere else.
I think it is still better than going to McDonalds... whichever country it was.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
McDonald's wasn't bad. At least I had an excuse to go get some French fries with my friends when we wanted to grab our Hoopa.

McDonalds, at least, was something that lasted for a long time at multiple places across the country. Because honestly, it's America, you can't walk two steps before running into a goddamn McDonalds.
This is an event that runs for two days at a relatively obscure one-time convention in England. Being distributed at McDonalds is nowhere near as bad as that.

I think it is still better than going to McDonalds... whichever country it was.
At least I can drive to McDonalds and I'm pretty certain, if you live near some sizable town you can find one in any country. I may not really want to go there but it's no worse than the Gamestop download events in Gen IV. You didn't even need to order anything - only thing you had to do was receive via internet when you're inside the restaurant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)