Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Pre-Order Bonus: ~Ooh~ A steel book. It'll look great shoved at the bottom of my draw with the rest of my DS/3DS boxes. Like The Heartless Dictator said, what was wrong with the little figurines? Got too expensive? Okay, but how about something we could actually use? Like though I'm sure the majority of the game players don't play it, why not a Pokemon TCG card? Or how about giving us something we get in the game like maybe a code to get a certain Shiny (or maybe letting our chosen Starter or the Mascot Legendary become Shiny upon getting it. Probably the starter because since they'll be in cutscenes, unless the cutscenes are dynamic, they may have also shiny locked the starters). Heck, instead of giving it away at the movies (or whatever way they're doing it internationally but still coinciding with the movie's release) they could have Magearna be the pre-order bonus.

Pre-Order Bonus: ~Ooh~ A steel book. It'll look great shoved at the bottom of my draw with the rest of my DS/3DS boxes. Like The Heartless Dictator said, what was wrong with the little figurines? Got too expensive? Okay, but how about something we could actually use? Like though I'm sure the majority of the game players don't play it, why not a Pokemon TCG card? Or how about giving us something we get in the game like maybe a code to get a certain Shiny (or maybe letting our chosen Starter or the Mascot Legendary become Shiny upon getting it. Probably the starter because since they'll be in cutscenes, unless the cutscenes are dynamic, they may have also shiny locked the starters). Heck, instead of giving it away at the movies (or whatever way they're doing it internationally but still coinciding with the movie's release) they could have Magearna be the pre-order bonus.
I think a special promo would be the perfect balance between cheap to make and valuable to players.

Wow, I didn't know steel cases as a preorder bonus were so hated. I, for one, love the look of them and yes they lay on a shelf, but so do all my other games and figurines. The thing about them not costing more than the normal edition isn't true either. With ORAS the steel case edition cost ~ €5 extra, but I'll gladly pay that for those beautiful cases. Luckily I live in Europe, so I'll get a chance at buying them. Now I only need to wish for a SM coverplate.

The funny part with the expensive part is that I bet you that we will get Solgaleo and Lunala figurines in the TCG (in America only, sorry Europe, you have weird gambling laws with that so you never get them). Roughly $20 for 4 booster packs, a promo card, and a figurine. We got the Kyogre and Groudon figurines that Japan got with their preorders that way. And the Arceus figurine in America ended up that way too. So it's not that it's expensive really...

Wow, I didn't know steel cases as a preorder bonus were so hated. I, for one, love the look of them and yes they lay on a shelf, but so do all my other games and figurines. The thing about them not costing more than the normal edition isn't true either. With ORAS the steel case edition cost ~ €5 extra, but I'll gladly pay that for those beautiful cases. Luckily I live in Europe, so I'll get a chance at buying them. Now I only need to wish for a SM coverplate.
I distinctly remember having to pay a £5 deposit for my pre-order and then having to pay £35 when I actually bought it. Hence £40, hence just the same price as usual. Maybe it was different in other parts of Europe?

But yeah, personally I'm actually almost annoyed by this. As it's UK-Exclusive it almost feels like they're saying "Sorry for making you wait a week longer than the rest of the world, here's this to say sorry" which... isn't a great apology when just about no-one cares about them. Also, as Xander of Nohr pointed out, some people want a digital library instead. Personally I'm wanting to pick up a physical copy just in case there's a third version or whatever later that makes Sun/Moon pointless - if there isn't, I'll use my receipt to get my money back and buy it digitally.

I've been wondering why I'm so apathetic about any and all sun/moon news (my hype level is registering a solid negative two), and I think Kurona just hit on some of my feelings (they are complex feelings). Some of it is definitely because of the EU delay. By the time I'm able to play, it'll be old news - technically it's old news as soon as leakers get their hands on it, but for a game whose strength is in the diversity of its international community, that week's delay on being able to participate with the rest of the world is a real bummer.

That's not the only reason though. IDK, I just can't get enthused about s/m. Maybe it's just that XY raised the stakes so much that there's a relative falldown in comparison. Largely also because I was genuinely hyped for Z and that particular hype train didn't so much derail as vanish into a void of "train? what train? There was never a train, uh, here, have a Magearna". Also because I guess I'm sorry to see gen 6 go. I liked it a lot and would have liked it more with some Kalos plot resolution and serious postgame stuff to round off the (currently lacking) French experience.

Sorry to be a downer. But outside of the ability to play the game in concert with my IRL friends (Which will be a first for me since Pokemon first released, most of my friends have only started playing after ORAS released), the ability to see my Blue team realised, (sans maybe mew) and the generic "oh hey a new Pokemon game to play", there's little in particular that I can get excited about. I hope that changes soon.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Where's my preorder bonus of 200 potions?

I've been wondering why I'm so apathetic about any and all sun/moon news (my hype level is registering a solid negative two), and I think Kurona just hit on some of my feelings (they are complex feelings). Some of it is definitely because of the EU delay. By the time I'm able to play, it'll be old news - technically it's old news as soon as leakers get their hands on it, but for a game whose strength is in the diversity of its international community, that week's delay on being able to participate with the rest of the world is a real bummer.

That's not the only reason though. IDK, I just can't get enthused about s/m. Maybe it's just that XY raised the stakes so much that there's a relative falldown in comparison. Largely also because I was genuinely hyped for Z and that particular hype train didn't so much derail as vanish into a void of "train? what train? There was never a train, uh, here, have a Magearna". Also because I guess I'm sorry to see gen 6 go. I liked it a lot and would have liked it more with some Kalos plot resolution and serious postgame stuff to round off the (currently lacking) French experience.

Sorry to be a downer. But outside of the ability to play the game in concert with my IRL friends (Which will be a first for me since Pokemon first released, most of my friends have only started playing after ORAS released), the ability to see my Blue team realised, (sans maybe mew) and the generic "oh hey a new Pokemon game to play", there's little in particular that I can get excited about. I hope that changes soon.

I'm actually pretty excited by Su/Mo, but I feel ya. I'm really hoping there'll be a good connection with Kalos in these games, 'cause I think XY storyline had much more to tell and it would be a shame to just throw it away. Other than that, while I find great the new mons, I'm a bit disappointed to see that older mons have the same models from 6th gen... I still like them, but I wish they were less static like those of the new starters. I would really like to see flying pokémon roosting on the ground sometimes, and more movement in general for any mons instead of a single pose that sometimes can looks oddly rigid.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

I don't think this is a downer statement to make at all. A lot of us have unfinished business in Kalos, and we expected a "Z" to come. XY and Kalos set the bar so high and ORAS really failed for me to live up to what XY had given us. There were very few changes to the original games, which imo let them down a whole bunch compared to what they managed to do in XY. I didn't feel the same way about HGSS for some reason, even though I can name a huge bunch of failings they had (which could/should have been rectified).

I actually had a thought about the EU delay last night. I won't be able to help and explore this brand new region for two reasons: 1) I don't get the game until 5 days later and 2) Because people have cracked the other games, Sun/Moons Pokemon info are going to be on the web within a day of the games being launched. I'll likely have time to organise my first team before I even see the game in my hands. I kinda want to try and hide, but with this place I can't really do that. I need to be here and helping in some small way. Chances are in the next few weeks I will be asking for a temporary forum like we had before for XY and then ORAS for the immediate launch until at least Xmas, just incase people do not want to have spoilers.

I agree with you that with everything they have said about "Playing together", excluding Europe from this is a hard pill to swallow. I know we used to have to wait months, and now it is only 5 days... But they did a proper world wide launch for XY. "They have the technology" as it were.

To be fair, most likely someone's going to get the games a week early and spoil everyone on the internet again. I remember my friend like getting mad at the existence of Klefki like that Monday before it came out.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Australia was behind by SIX days for Black and White. I had to mod b/w on another forum - I didn't want any spoilers on the games and somehow managed to do so and still found joy in the games when it came time to play. It does kill you though, and it does really suck. You CAN avoid spoilers (if you have to be online for any important online things) you just gotta be good at skim reading. By glancing for key words I was able to avoid all spoilers do my job and still enjoy the games later. So... you don't HAVE to avoid the Internet - just do text versions of everything (disable images so you won't get pkmn spoilers), skim for certain words and you won't absorb any information you see (you might read it at the time but you won't take it in).

It's super painful though and I feel for you guys. :c

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
To be fair, most likely someone's going to get the games a week early and spoil everyone on the internet again. I remember my friend like getting mad at the existence of Klefki like that Monday before it came out.
Hong Kong usually gets games 2 days earlier than release because the shops just love to do this.
Watch out guys, I'll spoil everything for you.

As long as i dont get spoiled on what types the gyms/elite 4 use and the plot, i'm fine with whatever. I dont generally care too much about learning what new Pokemon are available because i fail to see how that counts as a meaningful spoiler.

Chances are in the next few weeks I will be asking for a temporary forum like we had before for XY and then ORAS for the immediate launch until at least Xmas, just incase people do not want to have spoilers.
Actually, I'd really appreciate this. I only just remembered that I'd protected myself from Starter spoilers (Final evolutions only) during XY, and I'm only cottoning on now that there's no way that that info isn't gonna show up on these forums absolutely everywhere. And I'd rather not have to give up my lurk-for-two-weeks-then-whore-myself-out-for-likes posting style, I enjoy it here too much :<

Also, user avatars are surprisingly insidious. Blocking images sounds like a pain, but I'm going to have to do that too when the time comes to draw the spoiler line. Pre-BW I was pretty good about avoiding spoilered content, but via random google searches I'd found a much older Smogon thread to read, presumably a safe one, and one of the users in it had a BW Bisharp sprite for an avatar, which I had a good look at. (I didn't have an account at the time, but I'm going to assume it was Karxrida. :P) I panicked for a while until I rationalised that it was probably just some obscure megaman boss and therefore nothing to worry about. ((I was wrong.))

Pokemon itself does spoilers, every trailer is a spoiler per se. But I have to say nothing beats the discovery. I hadn't seen anything about BW before playing the game, and when I did, each new Pokemon was a wonder for me.

Well the thing is Pokemon is careful about its spoilers too. They don't tell us everything or even really about all the exciting Pokemon coming out. So it isn't THAT much. I mean who here would really be excited about seeing this gen's bird or rodent in game?
People here are really excited about trumpmon and woody multipecker.

Well the thing is Pokemon is careful about its spoilers too. They don't tell us everything or even really about all the exciting Pokemon coming out. So it isn't THAT much. I mean who here would really be excited about seeing this gen's bird or rodent in game?
This is Smogon. Show us one blurry screenshot of a Pokemon and the entire community will go nuts with speculation. :P

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It is honestly extremely aggravating having to keep away from literally everywhere on the internet for five days because we get it five days later. It's kinda stupid.
Wait, you guys just have a 5 day delay? What's the point? Like if it was a couple of weeks I could maybe get it's maybe to make sure all parts of Europe gets it, but 5 days? By then all stores will have the game by the time of the US & Japan release date, just do a worldwide release like XY!

Actually, I'd really appreciate this. I only just remembered that I'd protected myself from Starter spoilers (Final evolutions only) during XY, and I'm only cottoning on now that there's no way that that info isn't gonna show up on these forums absolutely everywhere. And I'd rather not have to give up my lurk-for-two-weeks-then-whore-myself-out-for-likes posting style, I enjoy it here too much :<

Also, user avatars are surprisingly insidious. Blocking images sounds like a pain, but I'm going to have to do that too when the time comes to draw the spoiler line. Pre-BW I was pretty good about avoiding spoilered content, but via random google searches I'd found a much older Smogon thread to read, presumably a safe one, and one of the users in it had a BW Bisharp sprite for an avatar, which I had a good look at. (I didn't have an account at the time, but I'm going to assume it was Karxrida. :P) I panicked for a while until I rationalised that it was probably just some obscure megaman boss and therefore nothing to worry about. ((I was wrong.))
Yeah, I think maybe we should all agree when the games come out to talk about it in spoilers tabs and don't have spoilers in our avatars or signatures. Gives players who are waiting for the holidays to get a chance not to be spoiled.

This is Smogon. Show us one blurry screenshot of a Pokemon and the entire community will go nuts with speculation. :P
*Tempted to bring up CoroCoro's first Sun & Moon "teaser"*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)