Gen VII: Pokémon Sun and Moon (New info Post #5834)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, you guys just have a 5 day delay? What's the point? Like if it was a couple of weeks I could maybe get it's maybe to make sure all parts of Europe gets it, but 5 days? By then all stores will have the game by the time of the US & Japan release date, just do a worldwide release like XY!
Supposedly Europe gets the delayed release because of XY. I seem to recall some theories around ORAS that Nintendo/GameFreak/whathaveyou was pissed because stores in Europe put XY on shelves and sold it early, so now "worldwide release" for Pokémon means "Europe gets it next week."

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Supposedly Europe gets the delayed release because of XY. I seem to recall some theories around ORAS that Nintendo/GameFreak/whathaveyou was pissed because stores in Europe put XY on shelves and sold it early, so now "worldwide release" for Pokémon means "Europe gets it next week."
Must have been a punishment.
Back when XY was released 10 days early, it was unfair for everyone else.

Sounds about accurate. I suppose this means we will never actually get a simultaneous worldwide release (other than the obvious XY), as Europe gets the games about five days later than Japan, South Korea, North America, and Australia. At least users from Europe got Nintendo'd when the time arrived, but it was too late.

Must have been a punishment.
Back when XY was released 10 days early, it was unfair for everyone else.
But those early releases were only in Italy and Canada. Seems unfair to punish all of Europe for the fault of some Italian stores. Furthermore why hasn't Canada/North America been punished in the same way?
That would be the most fair thing to do, except for the fact that if we delay the release in both PAL and NA we'd be back to a Japan only launch. I can understand delaying the next games, ORAS, as some kind of punishment. But continuing this trend will only upset Europian players. Guess I'm just salty for not having the same day 1 experience as everyone else and having to avoid the internet for almost a week. That's another thing I can get really angry about: "people saying it's only 5 days". For someone who spends a lot of his time on the internet on Youtube, Twitter and Forums 5 days equals a lot of potential spoilers. Sorry got a little carried away, rant over.

Also, "Punishment"? That... that just doesn't make sense. I can't really see Game Freak going "Oh, those guys got the games a bit early last time, did they? Well then, they deserve to get it LATER this time!"
They're a business. They would - and should - go with whatever business strategy nets them money. Doling out 'punishment' just makes no sense.

Also, "Punishment"? That... that just doesn't make sense. I can't really see Game Freak going "Oh, those guys got the games a bit early last time, did they? Well then, they deserve to get it LATER this time!"
They're a business. They would - and should - go with whatever business strategy nets them money. Doling out 'punishment' just makes no sense.
While I can understand that point of view, what other reason would there be for them to not release it in Europe on the same day? Furthermore, they have done it in the past with ORAS and Super Mystery Dungeon (We got that game months later, while the Europian and North American version were the same). But we'll wait and see, hopefully worldwide releases return soon.

While I can understand that point of view, what other reason would there be for them to not release it in Europe on the same day? Furthermore, they have done it in the past with ORAS and Super Mystery Dungeon (We got that game months later, while the Europian and North American version were the same). But we'll wait and see, hopefully worldwide releases return soon.
Well.
Just about a billion other reasons?
Fact is we just don't know every factor involved in cross-country negotiations and their business practises. Could be any one of a very large number of things.

Well.
Just about a billion other reasons?
Fact is we just don't know every factor involved in cross-country negotiations and their business practises. Could be any one of a very large number of things.
That's just called evading a question. My point is why could they do it with XY and not with ORAS or SM, when it's a business thing? They are similar games of the same company. Plus fans loved the worldwide release, so it's not like it is financially bad for them to do so.

That's just called evading a question. My point is why could they do it with XY and not with ORAS or SM, when it's a business thing? They are similar games of the same company. Plus fans loved the worldwide release, so it's not like it is financially bad for them to do so.
It's not evading the question, it's just saying that I'm open to there being a lot of other possibilities because that's what happens in business. If we don't know anything about why something is happening, I just find it kinda... dumb to immediately jump to "OH THEY'RE PUNISHING US" when really it's kinda stupid. If that's what they are doing, then it's a really ass-backwards business decision and I don't know why someone didn't at any point say "uh is there really any point in that".

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
stop making trump jokes. my sense of humor dictates the objective funniness of all jokes and i disapprove of comparing yungoos to trump, so you Better Stop it Right Now ok

and if u reply to this with a trump joke you should know i already predicted you so i Win, Just Saying

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
stop making trump jokes. my sense of humor dictates the objective funniness of all jokes and i disapprove of comparing yungoos to trump, so you Better Stop it Right Now ok

and if u reply to this with a trump joke you should know i already predicted you so i Win, Just Saying
That's some Trump logic right there. And if that's the case, ask yourself, do you really win?

It's not evading the question, it's just saying that I'm open to there being a lot of other possibilities because that's what happens in business. If we don't know anything about why something is happening, I just find it kinda... dumb to immediately jump to "OH THEY'RE PUNISHING US" when really it's kinda stupid. If that's what they are doing, then it's a really ass-backwards business decision and I don't know why someone didn't at any point say "uh is there really any point in that".
Hard to say how the parties get to yes
The pieces that are sacrificed in every game of chess
We just assume that it happens
'cause no one else was in the room where it happens.

Moving on, one of the departures Gen 6 took was with their opponent trainers. After B2W2's very dynamic trainer sprites and mid-battle gym leader/boss cut-ins, Gen 6 was a bit of a step backwards with their "official art" trainers and only using models on very key opponents (rivals, Team Plasma executives).

While Gen 7 looks to be restoring some of that character with the Pokemon XD "always there" trainer models, have we actually seen a non-rival generic trainer battle yet?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yes I Won, and I Just Predicted you so Checkmate, Bub.
No, no, you're suppose to make your text gold-colored. :P

Moving on, one of the departures Gen 6 took was with their opponent trainers. After B2W2's very dynamic trainer sprites and mid-battle gym leader/boss cut-ins, Gen 6 was a bit of a step backwards with their "official art" trainers and only using models on very key opponents (rivals, Team Plasma executives).

While Gen 7 looks to be restoring some of that character with the Pokemon XD "always there" trainer models, have we actually seen a non-rival generic trainer battle yet?
Well in the E3 demo they battled a Lass and Preschooler and they did have their models moving in the battle intro though at some point it stopped moving for an outline to appear around it and act is if they were 2d art. Also I don't recall their losing animations moving much at all.

Well in the E3 demo they battled a Lass and Preschooler and they did have their models moving in the battle intro though at some point it stopped moving for an outline to appear around it and act is if they were 2d art. Also I don't recall their losing animations moving much at all.

At about 23:40, the player gets into a battle with a lass. The lass is presented first in 3D before shifting to the 2D style used in Gen VI, before going into the full trainer model for the remainder of the battle.

On this note, something that would be nice to see eventually, following this step back into full scale battling, would be the application of clothing variations on the npcs as well. Not the important characters, no, but I think something that's been an issue from the very beginning of the franchise has been generic trainer classes. It may have been unavoidable in earlier generations, but I would like to see them start to randomly generating models with varying clothes and skin tones, at least. They could use some common themes among the trainer classes themselves, like the age and lack of clothing variety for preschoolers or nets and more camo related gear for bug catchers, but it would be nice to eventually feel like the game worlds are actually populated by people, and not clones. It may not be something that will happen for another few generations, if ever, but the repetitive standards for the trainers are something that's become tiresome over the years. Names and genders just aren't enough of a variance anymore.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
On this note, something that would be nice to see eventually, following this step back into full scale battling, would be the application of clothing variations on the npcs as well. Not the important characters, no, but I think something that's been an issue from the very beginning of the franchise has been generic trainer classes. It may have been unavoidable in earlier generations, but I would like to see them start to randomly generating models with varying clothes and skin tones, at least. They could use some common themes among the trainer classes themselves, like the age and lack of clothing variety for preschoolers or nets and more camo related gear for bug catchers, but it would be nice to eventually feel like the game worlds are actually populated by people, and not clones. It may not be something that will happen for another few generations, if ever, but the repetitive standards for the trainers are something that's become tiresome over the years. Names and genders just aren't enough of a variance anymore.
Pretty much what they did with the random trainers in the Colosseum games? I agree, especially now since we've moved onto full models instead of sprites and artwork. Easy enough to do, and maybe as a bonus they could give us some of those clothes (or a style of them) for our own customization

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus

At about 23:40, the player gets into a battle with a lass. The lass is presented first in 3D before shifting to the 2D style used in Gen VI, before going into the full trainer model for the remainder of the battle.

note that the "2d style" is just the 3d model in a prearranged pose, made to look 2d

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well if this seems like a (disproportionate) punishment for some stores leaking XY early maybe all the EU game store which have their stock of the game should just agree to go "F*** IT! We're releasing the games at the same time as the US and Japan"... and then have it be revealed that was what Pokemon Company planned all along. Thus achieving an actual worldwide release.

If I'm honest... I got mine a day early. Day before release during working hours, I popped over to a generic "catalog distributor" (dunno if the US has any equivalent to Argos, but for those that recognise it, that's where I went) during lunch, took a ticket and asked if they had any copies of Pokemon Y in stock. The guy at the counter said they did, brought one out, started to process my payment... then he asked "hey, isn't this supposed to have a release tomorrow?" I said "oh, really? I had no idea" and we grinned at each other. So am I partly at fault? I guess. But at that stage leakers had already dropped everything and some countries had already started to get theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)