Unpopular opinions

Wait, Gen V was considered a 3DS launch title? How? Yeah it was released around the same time the 3DS was release, but that's because it was in development for the normal DS (as well as Gen VI which was meant for the 3DS). I think Gen V was more meant to be the DS's last hurrah as they then jump full 3d models with Gen VI on the 3DS. This is like saying Sun & Moon are launch titles for the NX just because its the next (hybrid console and) handheld system to be released around the same time.
I'm using the term loosely.

Last edited:
Johto is overrated. The only reason it was memorable was because of the fact that it managed to cram in two regions into one game and the fact that it fixed some of Gen 1's balance issues. Fun, but overrated. Not many of the Pokemon were memorable either.

Generation V was the best generation by far (bar the weather wars) thanks to Black 2 and White 2. While Black and White were OK at best, BW2 fixed all of BW's flaws (outside of Team Plasma becoming a generic "Take over the world" organization, though they were still kinda cool). Expanded Pokedex including several old favorites (and finally one without Pikachu), more stuff to do during the postgame, improved soundtrack, expanded region, new forms for Kyurem, the Kami trio, and Keldeo (though the latter is only aesthetic, though it is still pretty cool), shaking grass/dust clouds/rippling water (seriously this should be a thing again, why hasn't it returned)... there's lots to love about these games and I don't see why they get hate.

Morty's Gengar was far worse than Whitney's Miltank.

Stufful and Bewear are far cuter than Eevee or any of its evolutions.

I think Zoroark is cooler than Lucario.

Jirachi is far cuter than Mew.

I prefer Emboar over Infernape and Blaziken.

Last edited:
Johto is overrated. The only reason it was memorable was because of the fact that it managed to cram in two regions into one game and the fact that it fixed some of Gen 1's balance issues. Fun, but overrated. Not many of the Pokemon were memorable either.

Generation V was the best generation by far (bar the weather wars) thanks to Black 2 and White 2. While Black and White were OK at best, BW2 fixed all of BW's flaws (outside of Team Plasma becoming a generic "Take over the world" organization, though they were still kinda cool). Expanded Pokedex including several old favorites (and finally one without Pikachu), more stuff to do during the postgame, improved soundtrack, expanded region, new forms for Kyurem, the Kami trio, and Keldeo (though the latter is only aesthetic, though it is still pretty cool), shaking grass/dust clouds/rippling water (seriously this should be a thing again, why hasn't it returned)... there's lots to love about these games and I don't see why they get hate.

Well this thread is called unpopular opinions for a reason... I can say that's disagree with every statement, except I do think jirachi is cuter than mew. I've never played gen 5, so I guess I can't have an official opinion on it, but from what I know, I'm not a huge fan. I'll play it someday though.

1) I think this one is more of 50-50 than "unpopular". Johto is kind of divisive nowadays compared to other gens, I believe.

2) BW2 has a lot more attention to minor details than earlier games, too. Seemingly minor things like Roxie's gym having different background musics, as long as you defeat the trainers, or when you have yet to enter, and the such.

3) I defeated it with a Togepi that had just learned Extrasensory in HGSS. Now, if we talk about the originals... at least on par with Miltank. But I guess it does not get as much flak as one would have likely overleveled to get past the third gym.

4) Eevee and the eeveelutions, bar Espeon, Umbreon and shiny Sylveon, are not cute in the first place. Nor Bewear or Stufful (Has the same problem as non-shiny Sylveon - the 'cuteness' seems too forced, but it's otherwise fine), but whatever.

5) and 6) Couldn't care less about any of these four design-wise, so I won't say anything else on the matter.

Now, 7) is a first for me.

And I'll include something here - I really dislike ROM Hacks that change stats, abilities or typing and optionally moveset (Unless it's some sort of setting them to date) with no real reason for that change. Especially if that happens on hard-mode hacks. Which is why I'm glad Drayano included vanilla patches for the ones he did for HGSS and BW2.

Last edited:
1) I think this one is more of 50-50 than "unpopular". Johto is kind of divisive nowadays compared to other gens, I believe.
No kidding. I think Johto and HG/SS get's brought up every other week on this thread. And everyone seems to either love it or hate it, the real unpopular opinion is not having an opinion on it at all!

I'm an unrepentant HG/SS fanboy, but I admit that the game has flaws and some of the things that draw me to it are unappealing to other people. So I can easily see how it keeps coming up again.

And again.

And again.

And again.

I felt it was a great Gen IV game. While it's WAY slow compared to other games, I think it was the definitive Gen IV games. For me, it felt like the games had a lot to do compared to ALL the following games.

I wouldn't restart the game from scratch (god the games felt super slow nowadays and not playing by emulator is even slower), but I'd boot it up to play the Pokeathalon or even Voltorb Flip. Some of the odder Battle Frontier facilities are also among the few things I enjoyed when playing the game. At least they're more interesting than just normal battling.

I like Vespiquen. In case you forgot the existance of that thing, it's that Bug-Flying type that has three signature moves, decent bulk, and is currently E rank in PU and not ranked (!?!!!??!!!?!) in FU. And I like it. And I'm proud of it.
Yeah, vespiquen is pretty cool. It's low popularity is just due to it being rare and not encountered very often. I think a lot of people like it, it just dosent come to mind much. And combee is amazing.

I felt it was a great Gen IV game. While it's WAY slow compared to other games, I think it was the definitive Gen IV games. For me, it felt like the games had a lot to do compared to ALL the following games.
I still want those excellent interface features (The Pokedex design, the Berry Pots, perma-Running Shoes -though this would have to be replaced as it's basically irrelevant Gen VI onward-, multiple Register Key Item slots...) back. It also had some really nice areas, such as the Bell Tower.

IMO Pokemon kept improving non-stop from Platinum up to (At least) BW2.

perma-Running Shoes -though this would have to be replaced as it's basically irrelevant Gen VI onward-, multiple Register Key Item slots...)
1) Why would that be irrelevant Gen VI onward?
2) Generation V and VI has had multiple Register slots (in Gen V, push Y would pull up a list if there were more than one, in VI, a D-Pad with the assigned Key Items).

1) Why would that be irrelevant Gen VI onward?
2) Generation V and VI has had multiple Register slots (in Gen V, push Y would pull up a list if there were more than one, in VI, a D-Pad with the assigned Key Items).
1) I could be wrong, but isn't the player character able to run, and the Running Shoes basically don't exist anymore?
2) Well, I kind of liked the Gen V iteration, though more readily accessible items (Because who knows how long the list could become) would have been fine. The Gen VI version seems ok, so let's forget about that point.

1) I could be wrong, but isn't the player character able to run, and the Running Shoes basically don't exist anymore?
As a unique item, it kinda does (you immediately equip it, unlike previous games, but you are noted to be wearing them). And you still have to press B, so the "always run" feature would still be useful.

I agree! I'm actually using one during an Alter Ego run of Pokemon X (There's a description in the challenge thread, if you don't know what it is - check towards the bottom of the page), and it's pulling its weight for sure! I mean, sure it's pretty much dead weight as a Combee, but Combee is a pretty common encounter early on in XY, so looking for a female one isn't too bad, and Combee evolves at level 21, meaning if you're using it normally you're probably getting before the second gym, and while it's useless there, it actually managed to beat one of Korrina's Lucarios pretty much on its own, despite being underleveled compared to it (I mean, those Lucarios have absolute garbage movesets but they tore through my other pokemon who were pretty weak). I'm pretty excited for the thing to learn some better moves (Power Gem at 25...Heal Order at 29....It's gonna be great :D), and I have high hopes for this thing's future performance. The general lack of Stealth Rock ingame certainly helps this thing out in terms of viability lol.

Morty's Gengar isn't that hard in HGSS since you can catch a Miltank that has Scrappy and just Stomp the whole gym (pun intended). Not that hard in GSC since it doesn't have Levitate so you will likely have a Graveler or Golem that has Magnitude. Miltank is just a pain in the ass. You want a Pokemon harder than either of those, look no further than Bugsy's Scyther with U-Turn or Fury Cutter if it gets going.

The only attacking moves that Morty's Gengar has on HGSS are Shadow Ball and Sucker Punch so any normal type can just spam status moves until he runs out of PP for the latter :)

When a fight is too easy/monotonous I like to do self-imposed challenges just to make it more interesting. Sometimes I can get a bit carried away though. I remember on a recent platinum file me and Cynthia were both down to our last Pokemon and I worked out that the only way I could lose was by hax. Anyone with half a brain cell would still revive another Pokemon but I find it a lot more rewarding to win under such dire circumstances. Thankfully I won. I'm guess I'm what you'd call a Poke-masochist :)

Last edited:
Generation V was the best generation by far (bar the weather wars) thanks to Black 2 and White 2. While Black and White were OK at best, BW2 fixed all of BW's flaws (outside of Team Plasma becoming a generic "Take over the world" organization, though they were still kinda cool).
Yup. I swear it's beyond my comprehension how some people legit think B2W2 Team Plasma is a better organization than they were in Black and White. I've seen this opinion being thrown around quite often in the internet and I'm just like: how? Their goal in B2&W2 is sooo generic and boring and flawed to a fault.

Ever thought Team Aqua and Magma were stupid? Well, neo Team Plasma is just as stupid: "Hurr durr, we're gonna freeze the world". K champ, but what are you going to do with it afterwards? Are you going to live on Rayquaza's back in the ozone layer? Because I'm pretty sure this world is yours too, and you're fucking it up! Well, I did like Ghetsis' as the final villain though, he was arguably the most menacing bad guy we've had since Giovanni, IMHO.

Ehem... *clears throat* Anyways...

Blue/Gary is probably the worst rival and more of a minor annoyance than someone who truly makes me angry and strive to get better. He's like the poor man's Silver to me.

Red is incredibly and amazingly overrated and I do not understand where the hype comes from. Nostalgia goggles probably? I mean seriously. I don't dislike him or anything, but he's not the greatest thing ever. That tittle belongs to N.

Ghetsis is indeed a cool villian and one of the scariest in the series alongside Cyrus, but, well, I agree his motives were somewhat lacking. "haha I want to destroy the world" - every villian ever.

I prefer depth in my villians rather than "lets just be evil for the sake of being evil", because that's been done over and over, it gets stale and is generally boring. Just personal preference though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)