Ask simple questions here! [READ ORIGINAL POST before posting]

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Hello,

I have a question about Random Battles.
In Random Battles, the Level of a Pokémon is scaled, if I understand that correctly. But how exactly does this work?

For example:
Drapion Lv. 79 has 95 Speed Base, and 196 Speed max in RandBatts. Rayquaza, which would be... something between Lv. 70-75, has 95 Speed Base, too. And in RandBatts 196 Speed max, too.

My question: Wouldn't it be the same if every Pokémon would be Lv. 100? Wouldn't everything be exactly equally scaled? Because you have the same Speed Base. And the same Level. And no influence through IV EV/the same influence through IV EV. I don't understand what the Level scaling is for. Can somebody help me their? Thank you.
Each pokemon has a different BST, and different base stats ect. This inheretly makes some pokemon better than others (ex Kyogre is overall better than Ludicolo), which is a reason we have tiers such as Ubers OU ect. In Random Battles, the pokemon's level is based on its tier, so a Uber pokemon would be level 73, while something from PU would have be level 83. This is so weaker pokemon have a better chance. This is the current level scale: (Note some pokemon like LC and most NFE do not appear)
let levelScale = {
LC: 87,
'LC Uber': 86,
NFE: 84,
PU: 83,
BL4: 82,
NU: 81,
BL3: 80,
RU: 79,
New: 79,
BL2: 78,
UU: 77,
BL: 76,
OU: 75,
Uber: 73,
AG: 71,
};

Hey, small question about friendly battles. I've been enjoying some random battles with some friends lately, and I was wondering why there is no gen 3 Random battle available. Has it ever been discussed before, or deleted?

Hello,

I have one question again about Random Battles.

I was under the impression that in RandBats, their are no +/- natures. I read something like 85 EVs on each stat, 31 IV on each stat, and no +/- nature.

But I had a battle 10 minutes ago, and my Diancie-M had a lower Atk stat than its SpAtk stat. It was ca. 257 Atk and 298 SpA (I didn't remember it perfectly), even though Diancie-M has 160 Atk and 160 SpAtk. Def, SpDef, and Speed was the same (which makes sense, because the base of each mentioned stat is 110 on Diancie-M). So, my question: Did my Diancie-M had a modest nature?

I had no stat changes like a Attack Drop from Intimidate or something like that, and even than, I've paid attention to the original stats nevertheless (all Numbers were black, stat changes on Showdown are green/red).

I had a Genesect on my team, too. Diancie-M and Genesect are two Pokémon, where you can clearly see a +/- nature or not, because of their base stats. And Genesect had definitely not a +/- nature.

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7randombattle-536807278

Why did opp's Ursaring sweep my team?

I thought when he lost his Guts ability to Mummy, his Attack should drop: from 1.5 Guts boosted to 0.5 Burn halved.

Despite this, his physical moves seemed as powerful as if he still had 1.5 Guts boosted attack.

Am I wrong that loosing Guts to Mummy while burned should result in a harsh drop of Attack?
Facade ignores the attack drop from burn, and doubles in power: https://dex.pokemonshowdown.com/moves/facade. If they had used any other attack, they would have been weakened, and either way they lost the 1.5x Boost.

Is there a detailed article on the Gen 6 or Gen 7 damage formula available anywhere? I'm writing a damage calculator library, and I've been using The Complete Damage Formula for Black & White as a source. It's great, very comprehensive and easy to follow. But, it's for Gen 5. Is there anything with a similar level of detail for later generations? Or should I just bite the bullet and read the Showdown source code, which I assume is accurate?

I can't get pokemon damage calculator.

Please consider this replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-537922103

There are 2 cases: either Power SPlit averages boosts, or it doesn't.

Assume it does. Then, on Turn 3, considering boosts, my Buzzwole had 754 atk, and Dawesome's Shuckle had 25 atk, which should average to 385.5 atk for both.

Let's try to apply the damage formula, http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Damage#Damage_formula . Let’s take into account 60 BP for Bug Bite, 1.5 Stab modifier, 1.5 Crit modifier, 1.3 Life Orb, full luck, and Buzzwole's lv 100. Then I should do only around 74 damage: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=((2×100+10)÷250×(389.5÷838)×60+2)×1.5*1.5*1.3*1

Assume Power Split takes into account only unboosted stats. Then my Buzzwole had 377 atk, and Dawesome's Shuckle had 50 atk, which should average to 213.5 atk for both, and applying the Swords Dance boost, 427 atk for my Buzzwole.

Then, according to the same formula, I should do around 81 damage: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=((2×100+10)÷250×(427÷838)×60+2)×1.5*1.5*1.3*1

However, I did as much as 106 damage!

Where is my error? (I assume it's not a bug?)

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
I've been wondering, since April is not too far off and we have a whole new batch of Pokémon, how are the April Fools' Day sprites made? Like, is there a submission process, or what? And if I want to contribute to the AFD spriting process, how would I go about that?

I assume it's not a bug?
Buzzwole and Shuckle are both bugs, though. *ba dum tss*

But in all seriousness, it's better to use the official Smogon damage calculator for... well, for calculating damage. There's much less room for error there, so you should probably plug in the numbers using that and see if you get a different result that lines up better with what happened. If you don't, then either you got something wrong or it's a glitch.

EDIT: Based on the numbers given, the Showdown damage calculator gives 99 to 117 damage for the attack. You probably didn't factor in that crits ignore the opponent's boosted defenses.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have one question again about Random Battles.

I was under the impression that in RandBats, their are no +/- natures. I read something like 85 EVs on each stat, 31 IV on each stat, and no +/- nature.

But I had a battle 10 minutes ago, and my Diancie-M had a lower Atk stat than its SpAtk stat. It was ca. 257 Atk and 298 SpA (I didn't remember it perfectly), even though Diancie-M has 160 Atk and 160 SpAtk. Def, SpDef, and Speed was the same (which makes sense, because the base of each mentioned stat is 110 on Diancie-M). So, my question: Did my Diancie-M had a modest nature?

I had no stat changes like a Attack Drop from Intimidate or something like that, and even than, I've paid attention to the original stats nevertheless (all Numbers were black, stat changes on Showdown are green/red).

I had a Genesect on my team, too. Diancie-M and Genesect are two Pokémon, where you can clearly see a +/- nature or not, because of their base stats. And Genesect had definitely not a +/- nature.
Since it had no Physical moves, the Attack EVs were set to zero to reduce confusion damage.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wow, thanks for your answer!
So, the EVs can change, but thei're still no +/- nature in RandBats, am I correct?
Its the IVs that were changed, if they have no physical moves they will be reduced to 0 IVs. (or 1 IV depending on the Hidden Power as HP Fire is one of them). EVs stay 84 on all stats and all Pokemon have neutral natures.

hi, i have a question.

Can anyone explain me the unnofficial and official ladder-rating points?

i have played with differents nick names but all of them take place on unnofficial ladder, no matter the tier I play in.

Lionyx

bridal waltz
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
hi, i have a question.

Can anyone explain me the unnofficial and official ladder-rating points?

i have played with differents nick names but all of them take place on unnofficial ladder, no matter the tier I play in.
current "official" ladders are those of the Gen 6 tiers (ORAS randbats, OU, Ubers etc...)

What if move sets were organized by classes like overwatch? E.X(drillbur would be setup, garchomp would be physical sweeper and oranguru would be support) So if I were to search for good setup mon with setup movesets i could see a list.

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
What if move sets were organized by classes like overwatch? E.X(drillbur would be setup, garchomp would be physical sweeper and oranguru would be support) So if I were to search for good setup mon with setup movesets i could see a list.
Many metagames have a thread in their forum called a "Roles Compendium". That compendium serves the purpose you're referring to.

Here are a couple examples
LC: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-lc-roles-compendium.3591265/
Doubles OU: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/dou-roles-compendium.3596782/

Hey, I heard there were discord servers for all of the tiers, and I can't find the one for OU, can anyone help me out with that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)