(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Personally, the bigger missed opportunities are not having Dragonitenite or Mega Meganium.
Most of the Megas were/are great. Especially ones that increased older pokemon's viability, like the Beedrilite. Unfortunately, GF decided that Z Moves would be a better option to make obscure pokemon more viable. Z Moves really aren't good for making obscure pokes any more viable, beacuse the reason why they aren't used often is beacuse their stats are not on par with other pokes.

My biggest issue (at least for Alola), is GFs decision to scrap using Megas to update outdated pokemon, and somehow thought Z Moves would be better. Sure, sometimes they can be viable if used correctly. But most people using Z Moves aren't using them for the strategic value, they're using them with the intent of brute force to beat down foes. It's the same how most people play their first pokemon game, putting "all-out" offensive moves, such as Outrage or Close Combat on pokes to 0HKO NPCs, without putting any though into strategy. Ultimately, GF has failed almost entirely at making these "unused" pokemon more viable.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Well, I think Z-Moves weren't really meant to be a way to boost a Pokemon's viability as much as a way to add more strategic versatility to the competitive scene beyond "just slap a leftovers or a choice item on it." Sure they're basically just flashy nukes in-game, but once you step into multiplayer, it becomes far more apparent that they add more diversity to already decent Pokemon even in casual matches.

But yeah, the fact that they blatantly ditched Megas in favor of Z-Moves does rub me the wrong way as well. I mean, I expected they would tone down Megas past Gen VI (no matter how hard they try, with over 800 Pokemon now, there are bound to be a few that never make it past mediocrity anyway), but I still expected we would at least have a small handful; instead, not only did we get no new Megas, the majority of old Megas aren't even available at the moment, many of which the basic Pokemon essentially can't function without. Just...why?

Even in competitive, there are very few Z-Moves that are used for strategic application rather than nuking power: See all the Z-Fly users, Fairium-Z Magearna, etc. The few utility Z-move users are either niche themselves or it's a lesser set in their kit, like Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree or Z-Conversion Porygon-Z.

The bigger problem is that Z-moves are not very specific improvements: anything that can use a held item can use a Z-move in some form, but given its nature as a one time Lure/Nuke, it requires the rest of the kit to be there in some fashion. Megas have the potential to be a complete overhaul of the Pokemon's build, whether changing their role as Venusaur did (Chlorophyll attacker to Thick Fat Tank) or altering them to be better suited to what they're trying already (Drought Zard-Y or Metagross's Speed and Tough Claws). Outside of extremely specific ones like non-damaging Signature moves, Z-moves are a generalized buff that benefit some Pokemon more than others, but still ultimately help the top 20% more than the bottom 80%

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, I think Z-Moves weren't really meant to be a way to boost a Pokemon's viability as much as a way to add more strategic versatility to the competitive scene beyond "just slap a leftovers or a choice item on it." Sure they're basically just flashy nukes in-game, but once you step into multiplayer, it becomes far more apparent that they add more diversity to already decent Pokemon even in casual matches.
Or even... Z-moves were not primarily meant to be a way to boost Pokémon's viability, or add versatility to competitive play, as much as this: To be the Shiny New Toy for marketing Gen VII. Z-moves were meant to follow up Megas as The Next Big Thing, meaning that the concept of Mega Evolution is ditched like a hot potato and branded yesterday's news, so the spotlight can be put on Z-moves. And they come with quirky little dances that would hopefully go viral among preschool kids. It all reeks of "marketing first" to me.

I agree with pika pal, too. After seeing the tremendous upgrade some Jokémons got the last generations, which completely changed the way we regarded many Pokémon and their in-game usefulness, I had expected something similar in Gen VII. Gen V changed the game completely with Hidden Abilities, giving stuff like Politoed, Sableye, Xatu and Dragonite new life. Gen VI made us fear Pokémon that were previously regarded completely bottom-of-the-barrel material, like Mawile, Kangaskhan, Beedrill and Lopunny. And now Gen VII... made already-strong Pokémon even stronger, and previously outclassed Pokémon are still outclassed. I have yet to see a rags-to-riches story this generation, although the suspect testing of Dugtrio was certainly unexpected.

Oh well. If things continue this way, Gen VIII should bring yet more Shiny New Toys that cast Z-moves aside. Hopefully, that will bring some former underdogs up to the top tiers again.

And now Gen VII... made already-strong Pokémon even stronger, and previously outclassed Pokémon are still outclassed. I have yet to see a rags-to-riches story this generation, although the suspect testing of Dugtrio was certainly unexpected.
To be fair, Mantine (Roost) and Pelipper (Drizzle) have gotten a new lease on life, while Torkoal (Drought) has use in VGC and nominal use in singles. Still, that's hardly the kind of upending of the old order we saw last gen.

To be fair, Mantine (Roost) and Pelipper (Drizzle) have gotten a new lease on life, while Torkoal (Drought) has use in VGC and nominal use in singles. Still, that's hardly the kind of upending of the old order we saw last gen.
Not to mention Mantine getting +20 to HP so it can make use of Roost and be the specially defensive wall it always wanted to be. The Alolan formes also add some viability to a few forgotten/heavily outclassed gen 1 Pokemon. Not nearly as much as we hoped prior to Sun and Moon's release, but still.

And granted, not every Pokemon can be awesome... there's always going to be some that just can't make the cut, both old and new.

And even Mega Evolution dabbled in the already powerful. I don't think Gengar or Garchomp were exactly pining for more power, and Salamence certainly wasn't lacking... (nor did it necessarily always help, as Audino... well, its name says it all)

Not to mention Mantine getting +20 to HP so it can make use of Roost and be the specially defensive wall it always wanted to be. The Alolan formes also add some viability to a few forgotten/heavily outclassed gen 1 Pokemon. Not nearly as much as we hoped prior to Sun and Moon's release, but still.

And granted, not every Pokemon can be awesome... there's always going to be some that just can't make the cut, both old and new.

And even Mega Evolution dabbled in the already powerful. I don't think Gengar or Garchomp were exactly pining for more power, and Salamence certainly wasn't lacking... (nor did it necessarily always help, as Audino... well, its name says it all)
Well, Mence certainly took a big hit in Gen VI where its coverage was suddenly turned bad because it does not really have anything to hit Fairies hard. Then Aerilate Mega Mence and Supersonic Skystrike arrived to patch that issue.

And Mega Garchomp has that unique niche in that it's the only Mega that is worse than the base Pokemon :P

Meanwhile, all Alolan forms bar Dugtrio and maybe Raticate are better than the regular ones (and Dugtrio was the only good Pokemon with an Alola form).

Z-Crystals, at worst, are simply not used, and at best they completely outclass Band/Specs sets because the only target the Choice item was meant for is hit harder by the Z-Move. (Key point here in that this is something the Gems failed at - outside of Flying Gem Acrobatics and some Unburden gimmicks, you would never consider the Gem over a Choice boost as both were a 50% power increase. Several offensive Z-Moves give a bigger boost)

Also, Z-Crystals are better for long-term than Mega Evolutions, since every move introduced from now on will have a Z-upgrade thanks to the generic Z-Crystals, unlike Mega Evolutions... and assuming they don't take them out. At worst, we may not get new exclusive Z-Crystals.

On one hand, I like the fact the new mechanics seem to work as Game Freak intended for the competitive world. On another hand, I wouldn't like the main games to be like the TCG where they introduce and scrap mechanics as they please - even Pokemon-EX, which were surprisingly long-lasting (two whole generations), now got the shaft as well in Gen VII for Pokemon GX.

Meanwhile, all Alolan forms bar Dugtrio and maybe Raticate are better than the regular ones (and Dugtrio was the only good Pokemon with an Alola form).
I mean, Alolan Exe is pretty bad, it traded its 4x Bug weakness for a 4x Ice weakness. More people run ice moves than bug moves for coverage. Furthermore, it gained Atk and lost Sp, which really doesn't help a pokemon that probably should be running a special set (Though it does help if you're running a trick room set).

Alolan Raichu is somewhat okay, but it losses access to Volt Absorb, gains more weaknesses, and its only ability is situational (of course, Tapu Koko is literally everywhere, so that helps, but that utility is based on teammates, not on its own ability).

Alolan Sandslash gained a plethora of common weaknesses (Fire, Fighting, Ground), only a small defense buff, and again, a very situational ability that makes it rely on its allies (Slush Rush and the Evasion one)

Most of the Alola forms are either situational, or just plain meh/equal when compared to their original forms, with the exception of Alolan Marowak.

I mean, Alolan Exe is pretty bad, it traded its 4x Bug weakness for a 4x Ice weakness. More people run ice moves than bug moves for coverage. Furthermore, it gained Atk and lost Sp, which really doesn't help a pokemon that probably should be running a special set (Though it does help if you're running a trick room set).

Alolan Raichu is somewhat okay, but it losses access to Volt Absorb, gains more weaknesses, and its only ability is situational (of course, Tapu Koko is literally everywhere, so that helps, but that utility is based on teammates, not on its own ability).

Alolan Sandslash gained a plethora of common weaknesses (Fire, Fighting, Ground), only a small defense buff, and again, a very situational ability that makes it rely on its allies (Slush Rush and the Evasion one)

Most of the Alola forms are either situational, or just plain meh/equal when compared to their original forms, with the exception of Alolan Marowak.
Er, Raichu's hidden ability is Lightning Rod, not Volt Absorb...

Porygon-Z also saw a huge upgrade thanks to Z-crystals in a way that isn't just nuking, so... there's something. Even though it's not that amazing, it's still a lot better than it used to be.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Also, Z-Crystals are better for long-term than Mega Evolutions, since every move introduced from now on will have a Z-upgrade thanks to the generic Z-Crystals, unlike Mega Evolutions... and assuming they don't take them out. At worst, we may not get new exclusive Z-Crystals.
Inb4 Z-Crystals get written off in Gen VIII for being "too broken"/to promote GF's new gimmick, like what happened to the Gen V gems.

I've been thinking about this, and I'm almost certain Z-Crystals will be getting the short end of the stick come Gen 8. There's a lot less you can do this Z-Crystals compared to what you can do with Megas (which I will use as a comparison point). Despite all the hype about possible new megas, Game Freak refused to give us any. There's (going to be) little to no hype about new, exclusive Z-Moves (as a lot of them are hard to get in game and unviable competitively) which means new Z-Crystals are even less likely to be added, and there's nothing else that can really be done for type. Z-Crystals are just this Gen's flashy mechanic, and one that isn't as powerful, unique and hype-worthy as Megas.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about this, and I'm almost certain Z-Crystals will be getting the short end of the stick come Gen 8. There's a lot less you can do this Z-Crystals compared to what you can do with Megas (which I will use as a comparison point). Despite all the hype about possible new megas, Game Fream refused to give us any. There's (going to be) little to no hype about new, exclusive Z-Moves (as a lot of them are hard to get in game and unviable competitively) which means new Z-Crystals are even less likely to be added, and there's nothing else that can really be done for type. Z-Crystals are just this Gen's flashy mechanic, and one that isn't as powerful, unique and hype-worthy as Megas.
Absolutely but also that was probably the point? They specifically chose a new gimmick they could do as a one and done. All 18 types: covered. Dances: one and done'd. They have a variety of misc effects already to go so they can easily slot those in to any new status moves.

All the leg work is done, basically. They can just carry it forward for as long as they want and never care about adding a dozen new ones every game. They can throw out a bone if they really want to but don't lock themselves to doing dozens of them and creating that expectation. There's, what, 11 exclusive ones total? And 3 of them are on event pokemon (Mew, Marshadow, Pikashu). I'm guessing stars or remakes w/e will add a small handful tops.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Absolutely but also that was probably the point? They specifically chose a new gimmick they could do as a one and done. All 18 types: covered. Dances: one and done'd. They have a variety of misc effects already to go so they can easily slot those in to any new status moves.

All the leg work is done, basically. They can just carry it forward for as long as they want and never care about adding a dozen new ones every game. They can throw out a bone if they really want to but don't lock themselves to doing dozens of them and creating that expectation. There's, what, 11 exclusive ones total? And 3 of them are on event pokemon (Mew, Marshadow, Pikashu). I'm guessing stars or remakes w/e will add a small handful tops.
The only way I see any Pokemon receiving an exclusive Z-Move is if their flavor texts says they do something real notable or gimmicky that there's no normal move that really fits the mold or does it to the extent you'd think. But of course, will this go on to Gen VIII or will Z-Crystals join Mega Evolutions by being ignored as GF creates a completely new battle mechanic only adding complications and ignoring many player's asking for them to focus and expand on some existing battle mechanics.

The only way I see any Pokemon receiving an exclusive Z-Move is if their flavor texts says they do something real notable or gimmicky that there's no normal move that really fits the mold or does it to the extent you'd think. But of course, will this go on to Gen VIII or will Z-Crystals join Mega Evolutions by being ignored as GF creates a completely new battle mechanic only adding complications and ignoring many player's asking for them to focus and expand on some existing battle mechanics.
I could see it also happening hte pokemon's marketable enough. There was no real reason for Mew & Snorlax, for example, to get their own z moves. Or even Eevee, really. They're just popular and easily marketable to have them do something funny (Snoralx) or cool.

Like if there's, for instance, sinnoh remakes? Lucario could easily get one if they wanted to continue adding them and didn't mind giving one to someone who has a mega.

New annoyance: Was at Akaka and wanted to get a Salandit for myself ingane. Searched the place for 2 hours before I finally got one and it had a Careful Nature. Since I refuse to use Pokemon who had a hindering nature to the stat it needs to use ( but freely accept other natures ), I searched again. Caught another Salandit an hour and a half later. It had a Sassy Nature. At this point, I wanted to throw the 3DS at the wall.

New annoyance: Was at Akaka and wanted to get a Salandit for myself ingane. Searched the place for 2 hours before I finally got one and it had a Careful Nature. Since I refuse to use Pokemon who had a hindering nature to the stat it needs to use ( but freely accept other natures ), I searched again. Caught another Salandit an hour and a half later. It had a Sassy Nature. At this point, I wanted to throw the 3DS at the wall.
At least you didn't have to breed for a flawless one. 500+ eggs until I got a usable competitive F Salandit (30 in HP with everything else flawless), and it didn't even give it a viable Hidden Power. At least it didn't have to be HA, otherwise I might have committed seppuku. On the plus side, Salazzle is working wonders in my team for doubles, thanks to its access to Sludge Wave, and with everyone bringing fairy types.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Don't forget it also has to be female for it to evolve into Salazzle. If you don't get a female with a good nature before catching a (bad nature) female and male, I suggest just breeding those two till you hatch an acceptable female Salandit.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Another thing that annoys me with Mega Evolution vs. Z-Crystals: They were clearly saving some.

With that, I mean that there were some Pokémon that were obvious candidates for receiving a Mega Evolution, but which weren't realized in the Gen VI games. Most notably Dragonite, which was the only pseudo-legendary from the first four generations not to receive a Mega. There were also a couple of Pokémon whose evolutionary counterparts received Megas, giving the choice between which to put on your team a clear and objective answer: Froslass and Slowking. Then there were fan-favourites Flygon and Milotic, not to mention all of Gens V and VI (I highly doubt Audino and Diancie were the only planned Megas from those two Generations from the beginning). Machamp and Golem can be seen as the Physical counterparts to Alakazam and Gengar, but neither got a Mega (although... it's clear that Golem-Alola received way more design attention than Geodude-A and Graveler-A...).

It just irks me that this "scrapped" mechanic was never given time to eclipse all the Pokémon that warranted it before it was booted. It's as if the game director for Sun and Moon held a grudge on the game director for X and Y, and decided to wipe his unfinished work off the table when continuing the franchise.

It's as if the game director for Sun and Moon held a grudge on the game director for X and Y, and decided to wipe his unfinished work off the table when continuing the franchise.
Well this is true to some extent, Director Shigeru Ohmori directed both ORAS and S&M while Junichi Masuda directed X&Y. However, Junichi Masuda helped produce ORAS and S&M, and was the lead designer in creating the Mega system, and he was quoted saying this here. It's probably has something to do more with some Nintendo Fat Cat forcing the dev team to work in a certain way so that they could profit more.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Then there were fan-favourites Flygon and Milotic...
Made even worse that they were working on a Mega Flygon but couldn't agree on a final design before ORAS had to go into production. It's probably why Aaron has a Flygon and gives you a Garchompite, most likely he would have used a Mega Flygon when you battled him and would have given you the Flygonite for placing 1,000 flags instead of Garchompite.

Though off I never heard if they were planning on making a Mega Milotic considering its also a popular third gen Pokemon. You had the post game battle with Wallace and he's an opponent in the Contest Spectaculars so there was a chance to use it.

Well this is true to some extent, Director Shigeru Ohmori directed both ORAS and S&M while Junichi Masuda directed X&Y. However, Junichi Masuda helped produce ORAS and S&M, and was the lead designer in creating the Mega system, and he was quoted saying this here. It's probably has something to do more with some Nintendo Fat Cat forcing the dev team to work in a certain way so that they could profit more.
I don't think Nintendo had any involvement in this, it's GF wanting to push new shiny "toys" they made, possibly in an attempt to make the games feel fresher than the previous.

I don't think Nintendo had any involvement in this, it's GF wanting to push new shiny "toys" they made, possibly in an attempt to make the games feel fresher than the previous.
The relationship between the triad is really confusing in who owns TPC. It was supposed to be Creatures, Game Freak, and Nintendo, each having a 33% share in TPC. However, Nintendo owns Creatures, and therefore has a majority share in TPC, ultimately meaning that while Game Freak is a separate developer from Nintendo, they ultimately answer to Nintendo, and so any marketable decisions (Such as making physical toys such as a Z-Ring) must go through Nintendo first. Furthermore, if they choose to shoe-horn in something that will help TPC profit, say adding in the aforementioned Z-Rings, they as majority shareholders can just use their leverage to make it so. There's no way to prove that Nintendo forced Game Freak to add in Z-Stuff for the purpose of marketability and toys, but it's the most likely reason (Occam's Razor).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The relationship between the triad is really confusing in who owns TPC. It was supposed to be Creatures, Game Freak, and Nintendo, each having a 33% share in TPC. However, Nintendo owns Creatures, and therefore has a majority share in TPC, ultimately meaning that while Game Freak is a separate developer from Nintendo, they ultimately answer to Nintendo, and so any marketable decisions (Such as making physical toys such as a Z-Ring) must go through Nintendo first. Furthermore, if they choose to shoe-horn in something that will help TPC profit, say adding in the aforementioned Z-Rings, they as majority shareholders can just use their leverage to make it so. There's no way to prove that Nintendo forced Game Freak to add in Z-Stuff for the purpose of marketability and toys, but it's the most likely reason (Occam's Razor).
When I say "toys" I don't mean a literal toy, I mean it in a sense that GF made a new major game mechanic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 8)