(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Regular poison is still garbage because Toxic exists and literally almost everything learns it.
But, strangely enough, Magearna doesn't learn Toxic...the only other Pokemon who don't learn Toxic are irrelevant (or are that way due to some gimmick (eg Wobbufet)), both in game and competitive. It really annoys me how Magearna doesn't learn Toxic...because, why?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Worst Affliction:
Normal Poison does certainly get the short end of the main status afflictions. Damage is minuscule and doesn't provide a stat drop. Aside from giving it a stat to drop (Special Attack maybe, sort of be a counterpart to Burn in that way?), I always thought that if you poison an already poisoned Pokemon they become Badly Poisoned, giving some more viability to Poison as there's a chance to upgrade it.
Though further kicking Ice-types down, Freeze is probably the worst since of the low chance of it happening. The similar Sleep may have less of a chance to last longer but Sleep is easier to inflict further making Frozen a bit isolate. And aside from preventing the Pokemon from attacking it doesn't do any stat reductions either (I could either see a defenses decrease or making it so it can't dodge attacks).
Finally Infatuation is a lesser Confusion/Paralysis. Confusion can have the attacker hurt itself, Paralysis decreases Speed no matter what, and they're not gender specific. I wouldn't give it a stat decrease, but how about trapping the infatuated Pokemon too?

Non-Toxic Magearna:
I think this explains it:
Magearna was created by a scientist 500 years ago. The sphere in this Pokémon’s chest is known as the Soul-Heart, and the scientist created it by collecting life energy from Pokémon, and is the true body of Magearna. It will try as hard as it can to save injured Pokémon, due to its ability to feel other's pain. It can even perceive the emotions, thoughts, or feelings of other Pokémon as well.
Would you want to afflict an opponent with a status ailment that makes them suffer if you knew you'd also feel that pain? Like sure, it also learns Thunder Wave, but Paralysis more just looks the Pokemon muscles locked up rather then it felt any pain. Also who knows how the poison would affect the life energy the Soul-Heart absorbs.
Personally, I would more ask why it doesn't learn Heal Pulse and Heal Bell?

Non-Toxic Magearna:
I think this explains it:

Would you want to afflict an opponent with a status ailment that makes them suffer if you knew you'd also feel that pain? Like sure, it also learns Thunder Wave, but Paralysis more just looks the Pokemon muscles locked up rather then it felt any pain. Also who knows how the poison would affect the life energy the Soul-Heart absorbs.
Personally, I would more ask why it doesn't learn Heal Pulse and Heal Bell?
Well, it can still inflict other status that can harm others (Confusion with Swagger), sure it isn't as direct as Poison but it still causes the other Pokemon to suffer pain, the plethora of violent attacking moves (most notably Explosion and Giga Impact, both very strong physical moves which would cause a lot of pain, so why would it also learn these?)

Though further kicking Ice-types down, Freeze is probably the worst
As someone who has been haxxed to hell, I respectfully disagree. While it is true that Freeze cannot be caused directly by any move, there's a reason for that. A frozen Pokémon has a 20% chance of being thawed out each turn, meaning that it's perfectly possible for a pokemon to remain frozen, and therefore useless, for the entire battle. Just imagine how broken something that could cause this status directly would be. Freeze is balanced exactly because it doesn't happen as often as it is literally game changing.

I see where you're coming from though, I just thought I'd put this out there.

Last edited:
Some annoyances I have been noticing about the Pokemon Box that haven't been fixed (or were introduced) in Sun/Moon:
- You cannot use items (e.g. TMs or HMs) on stored Pokemon. This would normally not be a problem were it not for the fact...
- Withdrawing a Pokemon from a Box removes it from all the Battle Teams you had put it in.
- You cannot look at your Box (much less Deposit, Withdraw or move Items even when you can look at the Box) in the Festival Plaza, outside of (Wonder) Trading, using the GTS or preparing the Battle Team. Also, when you are trading, you cannot use the IV Judge for whatever reason.
- When you start getting loads and loads of breedjects... one ends up finding the fact you can only Release one Pokemon at a time really time-consuming. Especially in recent gens as you can pick and move multiple Pokemon at once, why can't we mass-release? I would also think of mass Wonder Trading like this, but at least that could be understandable, to avoid suddenly heavy server loads.

- When you start getting loads and loads of breedjects... one ends up finding the fact you can only Release one Pokemon at a time really time-consuming. Especially in recent gens as you can pick and move multiple Pokemon at once, why can't we mass-release? I would also think of mass Wonder Trading like this, but at least that could be understandable, to avoid suddenly heavy server loads.
It should let you queue up an entire box on WT and trade each one-by-one without any player involvement. That would be much better (although under the current system you would presumably miss out on a bunch of FC).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As someone who has been haxxed to hell, I respectfully disagree. While it is true that Freeze cannot be caused directly by any move, there's a reason for that. A frozen Pokémon has a 20% chance of being thawed out each turn, meaning that it's perfectly possible for a pokemon to remain frozen, and therefore useless, for the entire battle. Just imagine how broken something that could cause this status directly would be. Freeze is balanced exactly because it doesn't happen as often as it is literally game changing.

I see where you're coming from though, I just thought I'd put this out there.
Well they could change how long it lasts, like make it so every turn the Pokemon has a better chance of thawing until its guaranteed to.

I can see why they wouldn't want mass release/trade options as an accident can very easily happen. It's sort of a necessary evil, though here's something that can help with the frustration:

Instantly release the Pokemon. I do not need to see it shrink from existence or get a "bye-bye" message. This takes like 2-3 seconds to happen. I'm releasing it, I don't want it anymore, why are you stalling the release? When I confirm the release, I want it just gone.

The same with trading the Pokemon. Yeah, the animation I guess looks neat, but can it be shorter? Like I can understand the game needing a short animation to hide the load time, but does it really need for it to be that long? Heck, by a coding perspective, shouldn't the game had already copied the incoming Pokemon and removed the outgoing Pokemon before the animation even takes place to assure no errors occurs?

Finally got my copy of Moon today. The first hour or so is like 90% cutscenes. Troll Freak, please allow me a way to skip them since it gets seriously irritating.

Well the game becomes
Finally got my copy of Moon today. The first hour or so is like 90% cutscenes. Troll Freak, please allow me a way to skip them since it gets seriously irritating.
The game becomes tour guide central in the 2nd island due to Lillie going on her own so you get some real accomplishment there, afterwards it gives you some freedom on the third island wich became my favorite outside of Kiawe trial, but meme island is just an annoying cutscene festival.

Well the game becomes

The game becomes tour guide central in the 2nd island due to Lillie going on her own so you get some real accomplishment there, afterwards it gives you some freedom on the third island wich became my favorite outside of Kiawe trial, but meme island is just an annoying cutscene festival.
Don't tell me about it. I got very very very lucky when resetting for a decent popplio and got a Modest one on the third try. Which took me about 45 minutes to do in the first place.

Yeah Melemele in general is so slow. You have no freedom, it feels like your hand is being held for the entire island. It's the smallest island yet it feels like it takes forever to complete, just because of the cutscenes and handholding. Akala is better, albeit the most linear island outside of Melemele (well, the whole main story is kind of linear, but that isn't always a bad thing). The last two islands are better.

The lack of a "Skip Cutscenes" button is just such a primitive thing to do in a game which is cutscene heavy at times. You'd think after people complained at the B/W opening that they should add a Skip Cutscene button, but they still haven't done it when the opening takes about thrice as long as B/W

The cut-scene heavy issue is a by-product of the increased emphasis on plot. And we've been through this before, Unova was pretty much just as bad, if not worse because unlike Unova at least Alola does leave you alone for most of the second and third islands.

In Unova, the plot never let's you go. NEVER.

But I'll admit that I'm a lot more forgiving of Sun/Moon's stop-'n-plot than Black/White's because I'm actually interested in SuMo's plot than B/W's empty platitudes. If you don't feel the same, then yep it's going to feel like sandpaper.

3D cutscenes by their nature take longer than 2D ones (assuming they have the same content). Sprites are generally easier to manage in cutscenes. I guess if you look at it B/W's plot has similar issues to SuMo's but at least B/W is sprite based, making its cutscenes at least appear faster (even if they aren't in reality).

The thing is though a lot of S/M's cutscenes (including heavy amount of dialogue in this) annoy me more than B/W's. The fancy camera shots that are now possible in 3D only serve to lengthen cutscene times. This wouldn't be an issue if there wasn't so many of them, but there are. S/M has a lot, possibly the most in the main series, which combined with the 3D is especially annoying. The first island in particular is off-putting, so many cutscenes before you can really do anything, and even when you can you'll be dragged into more cutscenes shortly after.

I also don't think the third island is more independent than island to with regards to plot, but none of them are.

I'm really dreading my next post due to my postcount now.

I really comes down to if you actually like the plot or not. I like Sun/Moon's plot, so the cutscenes are visually interesting and don't feel like a time-waster. I love the one where Lillie says good-bye to Nebby.

I hated Black/White's main plot (although liked the climax and a few sub-plots), so every time some character made a roadblock to listen to empty text I'd mash the a button like it was going out of style. Sure it might be "quicker" but it still felt like shrill chirping of an annoying bird, a cacophony of text beating into my brain that I'd challenge with a silent "shutupshutupshutupshutupshutupshutup" with every press of the button. It always felt like an eternity.

But different strokes for different folks. You might find sprites and text easily ignorable while cutscenes too in-your-face, while I find pure text as wasted space and at least the cutscenes are visually interesting.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
disclaimer: I really like BW for all the good design choices that are so lacking in SM, I don't hate its plot, if you can't stand a single thing they say then I suppose that'd suck but otherwise the hate baffles me

In BW, pretty much all the plot and cutscenes lead to battles or rewards. There are a few exceptions later in the game when you're already theoretically invested like Tubeline Bridge, but for the most part things like the accumula propaganda speech, the dreamyard, the ferris wheel, etc. all at least give you something to do if you hate the plot that badly. Even Juniper showing up in Chargestone cave they're like "hold up, this is just world building, let's give them the best item in the game". I don't entirely get the hate here just because even if you absolutely can't stand anything that's going on in the plot whatsoever at least you get to fight people. Also the roadblocks are almost all solved by your doing something, like catching Team Plasma for Clay.

In SM, most of the early slog is just listening to people talk and then walking to the same place you would've gone anyway. It takes forever to get around things you could've been exploring naturally, and there isn't any real plot here. It's not about liking the plot to me, when there's actually something relevant then I'll pay attention. Idk how many times they stop you in the first city, yet all you get is the grunt/ilma fights at the end, that's not justification for how many times you're directed to stop in your tracks and then continue down what's just a linear boardwalk anyway. Oh and sometimes a roadblock redirects you until you complete something unrelated and arbitrary. There's no gameplay driving the story, there's just shuttling you around and giving info dumps while you don't get to do shit. When a character shows up to talk, there's no expectation of a fight, which would be mildly interesting. There's just the expectation that you'll shut up and let them say their bit, and unless it's actually good for plot like that one bridge with the murkrow in poni then GF really needs to reconsider how to design a game rather than hoping things like a good plot and being pokemon will make people gloss over whatever shitty choices they made.

I'm gonna layoff the plot debate because it really is a matter of taste and I can (and have) rant about Black/White's plot forever. If you like it that's cool.

One thing on Sun/Moon I'm a little sad about is the lack of Johto representation in the Battle Tree and around Alola. Seems like they pulled cameos from every generation except Gen 2, lest you count Red and Blue/Green. Would have been nice to see Eusine come back, or Jimmy Jr. Silver. Or even one of the gym leaders if they were really scrapping the barrel. Janine could use some more exposure.

I guess Johto's only true representative is the apricorn balls.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm gonna layoff the plot debate because it really is a matter of taste and I can (and have) rant about Black/White's plot forever. If you like it that's cool.

One thing on Sun/Moon I'm a little sad about is the lack of Johto representation in the Battle Tree and around Alola. Seems like they pulled cameos from every generation except Gen 2, lest you count Red and Blue/Green. Would have been nice to see Eusine come back, or Jimmy Jr. Silver. Or even one of the gym leaders if they were really scrapping the barrel. Janine could use some more exposure.

I guess Johto's only true representative is the apricorn balls.
Don't forget Malie City, which was specifically said to be mainly formed by people from Johto. It's why Malie Garden's lake looks like a Gyarados (well, suppose to) as a Lake or Rage reference and it also has a tower which looks like the Bell Tower in Ecruteak City.

But yeah, it is missing a character cameo from a Johto character. Eusine and Silver would be obvious Battle Tree choices, but if they want to go more obscure they could have maybe had done something like make Primo the one to teach Hyper Training.

This isn't an annoyance with the Pokemon games so much as it is one with the 3DS itself, but it's the 100 friend limit.

I run a trade thread on Smogon (shameless plug right there), and I'm always having to delete friend cards so that I can add whoever it is I'm trading with. What I really wish is that there was an option to automatically unfriend someone, say, an hour after you add them, so that you could register someone's FC just to do the trade. (Of course there would still be the option for permanent FCs for the people you're actually friends with)

This isn't an annoyance with the Pokemon games so much as it is one with the 3DS itself, but it's the 100 friend limit.

I run a trade thread on Smogon (shameless plug right there), and I'm always having to delete friend cards so that I can add whoever it is I'm trading with. What I really wish is that there was an option to automatically unfriend someone, say, an hour after you add them, so that you could register someone's FC just to do the trade. (Of course there would still be the option for permanent FCs for the people you're actually friends with)
If I remember correctly, Nintendo was against giving away friend codes on the internet (to strangers), so that could explain the short limit. Temporary friends would violate this wish and also be a surprising amount of foresight from Nintendo.

Last edited:
Eusine and Silver would be obvious Battle Tree choices, but if they want to go more obscure they could have maybe had done something like make Primo the one to teach Hyper Training.
If they really loved us it would be Youngster Joey and his Mega-raticate.

Speaking of memes, it occurs to me that Youngster Tristan might have been a Youngster Joey reference, being the first trainer you fight that ends up conquering the Elite Four and challenging you, the Champion. So that might be another Johto quasi-reference.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
If they really loved us it would be Youngster Joey and his Mega-raticate.

Speaking of memes, it occurs to me that Youngster Tristan might have been a Youngster Joey reference, being the first trainer you fight that ends up conquering the Elite Four and challenging you, the Champion. So that might be another Johto quasi-reference.
Oh, but they did have a Youngster Joey in Sun & Moon... but he used a Metapod instead of an Alolan Rattata!

"Well Joey is a common name, the Youngster probably had a different name in Japanese from the original Joey"

NOPE! In both languages the name was the same. Joey in English, Goro in Japanese. This was a clear reference by the team that names trainers to Youngster Joey and must have informed other translation teams of the reference. But I guess the team who assigned Pokemon didn't get the memo as they gave him a Metapod. Worst yet, there's a Youngster at the very beginning who uses an Alolan Ratatta, so why not name him Joey?

You know, that right there shows they didn't care about Gen II: they messed up referencing one of the most popular Pokemon memes/trainer.

BTW, I think they missed their chance to do some other additional Champion Defense matches. It would have been neat if they had a challenger who used a team of all Alolan Pokemon and one who uses the Pokemon who are PokeRides.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 16)