SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this marks the first time I am excited for the in game story since pokemon Gale of Darkness. Here is to hoping that Lilly somehow doesn't ruin it.

You don't know what its stats will be like. So quit assuming just because it has 2 4x weaknesses. It could get recovery moves who knows and it may get monstrous Defensive stats
Bastiodon and Probopass are both bulkier than Toxapex, but they're still in PU. Unlike them, Toxapex has an amazing ability, reliable recovery, and a great defensive typing. Assembly will get Beast Boost, which isn't at all conducive to a good wall. It's unlikely it'll have reliable recovery. None of the other Rock/Steel types do, and the only UBs that do are Kartana with Synthesis (which is given out to like every grass type lol) and the bug/fightings with roost, which also makes sense. And rock/steel just isn't as good as it could be.

It's a pretty safe assumption for me to make I don't know why you're taking issue with it lol

To comments on the new ub not being "alien enough" In design. Think of it like a little imp that lures it's prey with its adorable face, and then shows giant teeth or claws or quietly poisons it's victims as it watches them slowly die.

This thing is a child's worst nightmare, kinda like a firby.

Damn it, why Rock/Steel ugh. A typing which wouldn't be the worst offensive type(Rock is always okayish in offense) but of course in defense...

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Adhesive honestly looks like a generic sci fi cute small monster to me, it's definitely alien. It's pretty generic, I'm disappointed.
Tbh tho I dislike burst and assembly. Burst is obviously a haunted circus theme or something, but that our-world theme doesn't fit in with a lovecraftian designed alien. Assembly is honestly just a giant, living brick wall. Shame.

Bastiodon and Probopass are both bulkier than Toxapex, but they're still in PU. Unlike them, Toxapex has an amazing ability, reliable recovery, and a great defensive typing. Assembly will get Beast Boost, which isn't at all conducive to a good wall. It's unlikely it'll have reliable recovery. None of the other Rock/Steel types do, and the only UBs that do are Kartana with Synthesis (which is given out to like every grass type lol) and the bug/fightings with roost, which also makes sense. And rock/steel just isn't as good as it could be.

It's a pretty safe assumption for me to make I don't know why you're taking issue with it lol
I mean hey who knows, maybe they gave it a form of recovery since Assembly is made from thousands of smaller blocks, each with a mind of its own, so it could try and repair itself as it takes damage.

Then again, if they didn't do it with Wishiwashi, I'm not expecting them to have done it with Assembly either (or maybe they did, please GF).

Eh I mean people still love to use guzzlord and isn't he PU just because of typing really? It goes to show that the UBs aren't "broken" so friends don't go "no tapus, no ubs, no legends" and then you can go "but dude assembly dies to a mach punch and guzzlord dies to fairy wind"

For those who say Adhesive doesnt look weird enough I'd just like to reminf people it has at least 4 stingers popping out of its head and sports no pupils. It's definitely alien, but it also has the charm of being cute.

Eh I mean people still love to use guzzlord and isn't he PU just because of typing really? It goes to show that the UBs aren't "broken" so friends don't go "no tapus, no ubs, no legends" and then you can go "but dude assembly dies to a mach punch and guzzlord dies to fairy wind"
I'm pretty sure Guzzlord is PU because it has no reliable recovery, and because its non-HP stats are crap.

It's a shame it seems we really won't get following pokemon in these games. (And I'm one of those people who doesn't see the need) because with all the teases. (Decidueye in the new art, hau's starter following him even past evolution, the rockruff, and interacting with the wild pikachu) that hopefully it's a nod that when switch comes around we can look forward to that.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
I'm pretty sure Guzzlord is PU because it has no reliable recovery, and because its non-HP stats are crap.
Do keep in mind that it's about to rise to NU, it's pretty heat there. But yeah, that typing is pretty harmful for a mon so slow.
If they give it absurdly fat defensive stats, reliable recovery, and good supporting moves (Rocks/Spikes/Rapid Spin/Toxic) I'd honestly be okay with that.
Man, it's still not gonna be great. I'd rather use Ferrothorn, which has:
-Absurdly fat defensive stats
-Semi-reliable recovery (leech seed and lefties gives a good bit, especially if you use Protect on it)
-Godly supporting move pool
-A REAL TYPING

You know, before we all deem UB Assembly trash I’d like to remind everyone that people thought Yveltal, Marshadow, & Alolan Marowak were gonna suck. Safe to say that we can anticipate metagame changes & Gamefreak will try to make Assembly usable.

I’d rather not have Gamefreak waste time on a novelty mechanic like following Pokémon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
My personal thoughts right now, after that I'll respond to other's comments:

Ultra Wormhole Travel:
So confirmed is a full feature! Sweet! But could is be better than riding Rayquaza into space, Mega Evolving, and destroying a meteor?... Well, no, but what we're getting is still cool and more multi-functional!
For the travelling part, gotta say Lunala looks more natural though Solgaleo doesn't look awkward since it creates a "floor" underneath it.
Trying to piece together the mechanics this feature will have. In addition to the various portals leading to the Ultra Beasts homes, there's also rings of light you're collecting and balls of darkness you're avoiding. So how does this factor in? Does collecting the rings of light make the portals appear and the more you get the more that appear and leads to different worlds? Do you need to collect a certain number of the rings to travel into the portals and some require different amounts? What happens if you get a dark ball? Do you just lose an amount of/all the rings and have to start over? Can you get a "game over" and be sent back from the wormhole you entered or are you forced to enter a portal?

Ultra Space Worlds:
Ah, so this is why so little changed in Alola: they were MASSIVELY expanding Ultra Space! Probably should have thought of that.
Actually I should say Ultra SpaceS. Another "why didn't I think of that", Ultra Space isn't one world but rather a space that connects multiple worlds together. Each Ultra Beast came from its own world, and now we're getting to explore them and encounter the Ultra Beasts (we won't get into how odd they're the only inhabitants of their world)!
That said, from what I'm seeing they Ultra Beast home worlds are kinda looking linear. Looks like the areas are more just to provide a spectacle and Ultra Beast encounter than being a fully fleshed out area.
Also I'm wondering if we'll see the homes for Guzzlord and the new Ultra Beasts. I ask because we saw they'll be in Alola and the Ultra Beasts homes will be providing an encounter location. Of course they could just have us defeat the UBs who came to Alola which sends them back through their wormhole, thus giving a reason to include their home world.
Finally, what about the Cosmog family and Necrozma? Do they have a home world?

Ultra Recon Squad:
CALLED IT (at least in one of my theories)! Native people of an Ultra Space world! And they're pale blue faced people with purple, bright orange, and blue hair. Intersting, wonder if they're home having no light caused them to change to be like that.
One thing about them that caught my eye was that quick scene of them in Aether Paradise. It sort of looks like the beginning cutscene of Lillie escaping Aether Paradise, with them replacing the grunts. If that is the case, does this mean the story has been changed in a major way? They now have something to do with Lille running away?
Odd they're making which two members you get version exclusive, but then again that's no different than the Hoenn games where you're either dealing with Team Aqua or Team Magma. They'll all probably show up together in the end so you at least get to meet the other two, sort of like how ORAS had the other villain team admins appear at the Battle Resort for a quick cameo.
Nothing to say on the individual members. In Ultra Sun you get Dulse (serious young man/purple hair) and Zossie (little girl/orange hair) while in Ultra Moon you get Phyco (mustache man/blue hair) and Soliera (woman/blue hair). I want to say maybe the pairs have a famiy relation thing: Dulse and Zossie being brother and sister, Phyco and Soliera being father and daughter (Soliera's actions during battle seem a bit immature that makes me doubt something like husband and wife). It'll also keep in one of the themes of Alola being family.
Considering you're seen wearing one of their suits and the ones you encounter let you explore their home world they're not going to be villains, probably just people on a mission to get the light back in their world. Maybe they're also trying to prevent Necrozma from taking the light of the Pokemon World, OR maybe they're going to have Necrozma steal the Pokemon World's light than capture Necrozma to bring light back to their world (In the sneak peak trailer it looks like eventually the Ultra Recon Squad trap it on top of their tower and examining it).
But still, PEOPLE OF ULTRA SPACE! Okay, yes, technically Sun & Moon did give us the first non-Pokemon alien, but that was just a quick "what the" cutscene. This is the first game where you're battling an alien sentient species of human level who use their own world's Pokemon to battle!
Also they're battling theme sounds great! Other worldly but also sci-fi, showing how they're the human version of Ultra Beasts essentially.

New Ultra Beasts:

I go more into depth about my thoughts on the new Ultra Beasts in an upcoming JAPE. I'll also share my thoughts via other's comments.

Necrozma Main Villain:
So yeah, I think this is also a first: the mascot Pokemon is the main villain, at least for the main game series. While we've had the likes of Groudon/Kyogre and Giratina, they weren't villains but rather forces of nature released/angered by the villain team. But sounds like Necrozma is going to be a villain of sorts, wanting to absorb all light for whatever reason and having done so to the Ultra Recon Squad's home world! Though it seems like it needs Solgaleo or Lunala to do it, as the one in Sun & Moon not only just flew around at most but looked like it was in physical pain at times (maybe what we mistook it as trying to hold back its power was actually it reacting to not being able to absorb light for a long time?).
If I had to take a guess on how the story changed, the story now is more about stopping Necrozma from stealing the Pokemon World's light. Lusamine is prevented from entering Ultra Space, she still does her releasing Ultra Beasts thing but something stop her and maybe she snaps out of her insanity (apparently she warns someone about a shapeshifting monster, which sounds like Nihilego though I guess could also be Necrozma). Though Lusamine didn't enter Ultra Space, you still got to "cure" Nebby which is why you evolve it... which is then when Necrozma appears and possesses it. Your goal now is to rescue Nebby, which might involve having to get the other Cosmog and evolve it, can't see any other way to travel into Ultra Space unless they do a risy "one-way-in" way via Burnet's lab and/or Aether Foundation. Though they'd probably have to raise the stakes, like have Necrozma steal the Pokemon World's light, to justify the player do something that risky alone.

You know, before we all deem UB Assembly trash I’d like to remind everyone that people thought Yveltal, Marshadow, & Alolan Marowak were gonna suck. Safe to say that we can anticipate metagame changes & Gamefreak will try to make Assembly usable.

I’d rather not have Gamefreak waste time on a novelty mechanic like following Pokémon.
Who thought this? Anyone on that bandwagon was an idiot lol.

It's not reasonable to assume that Rock/Steel, gamefreaks signature type for "Uber-defensive" types, is shit. Probopass and Bastiodon prove this. Even with reliable recovery it's unlikely to be of much use. It's BST may give it some useability but it's otherwise useless.

Little poison mon is super cute, I'm hoping it evolves into something more menacing! The traveling between worlds is an obvious but good love on GFs part. Good to see the Alola region finally expand a bit.

Marshadow has a broken offensive typing and an even broken-er signature move with the stats to back them up. No one in their right mind thought it'd be bad.

So:

Assembly is likely just going to be a slightly better Bastiodon. Shame really, but who knows?

Burst has a super strong Special Fire-type recoil move as its signature. Hopefully its different enough from Chandelure.

Adhesive/Sticky is a Poison-type DBZ thing. Kind of cute I guess, but I don't know where they'll go with it. Fast and very frail Special attacking Poison?

Holy shit those environments look cool as fuck. Never thought you'd encounter Buzzwole in an area with a VOLCANO, but w/e.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So we have another new Pokemon, this time a pure poison? I'm starting to wonder if we are going to get a UB for each/most types.

Finally, with Assembly's typing, I'm hoping Trollfreak make its highest stat speed.
With UB Assembly being Steel (Kartana & Celesteela) & Rock (Nihilego) and UB Adhesion being Poison (Nihilego), looks like they stopped caring about making the non-paired UBs different types from one another. Disappointing considering the types they gave UB Assembly and UB Burst.

I think Adhesive will be part of an evolutionary line.
You seem to encounter the other team using it relatively early on, it seems much more "basic" than the others, it just has the air of something that will evolve.

That's not necessarily proof of anything, of course. Komala is a big example. But an evolving UB would be neat and maybe we can get another poison dual type.
It evolving would make sense as you're right it looks like a "basic" stage with its simplistic design. Would also give it a chance to gain a secondary typing (Poison/Psychic? Poison/Water?) and address why it's called "adhesion/sticky" (guess that could also be solved with a signature move, but so far we only know it can understand human emotion and its head spikes are filled with poison).

And, as you said, would allow them to gradually increase the challenge when facing them. First time against the basic stage, a possible second time against the 1st stage, and the final encounter being it fully evolved.

And yes, they could make it easier to battle an Ultra Beast like they did with Nihilego by making it lower level and have weak moves, but if we're suppose to encounter these guys occasionally I'd like for them to have something new up their sleeve instead of using the same-but-slightly-stronger-this-time mono Poison-type Ultra Beast.

Breed I doubt, but they should be available in the wild.
Remember when we predicted this ultra world with the kartana situation? Pikachu315111 was wrong again. Good streak bro :P.
Burst is likely gonna be fast and frail. We've yet to see its movepool yet though, but for now I'm guessing it'll be better than chandelure. If it's not, well ru always bans anything offensive so it'll be bl2.
*In a robotic tone* Oh dear, a theory/obervation I, a player who has no input on the development of the game, made about a blurry image turned out wrong. Woe is me, for every theory I came up with has been right up till this point. Much like I'm sure every theory/observation of yours has been correct. I r dishonored, I shall now commit Sudoku.

The mechanic looks blatantly matching Eon Flute, just with a Kingdom-Hearts-Gummiship-Like minigame to get there.
With a "World That Never Was" knockoff too.

So we now know that the "only two new Pokemon because Pokedex numbers only leave room for two" theory is false. But it raises the question: what *is* going on with the Pokedex numbers? Why have they made room for exactly two Ultra Beasts if there are more than two?

I can think of two reasons:

1) The new third one is actually a Mythical that gets used by trainers ingame -- super weird, but not impossible. This would suggest that we've now seen all of the non-mythical Ultra Beasts.
2) They are actually putting all of the new mons after Marshadow, and the two new slots between the UBs and Cosmog (I think it was?) aren't for Burst and Assembly at all, but for something else. Probably two legendaries added to the Alola dex, judging by the placement.
3) Adhesive is special for some other reason that means it's listed separately from the other Ultra Beasts.
Option one sounds like a neat idea, though I'm leaning towards option two being the better choice overall. For one, being Adhesion is being used by several members of the villain team means there's multiple so either you gain access to the world it comes from or they just give you one.

But if option two is being done, what are the two Legendaries being added? We certainly have our options, but personally I'd go with Cresselia and Darkrai. They're astrological related, specifically more towards the moon but then again the plot this time around seems more heavy on the sun's light so I call it a trade off, and would continue the trend of them ed-classifying a Mythical (in this case Darkrai) due to them introducing another Mythical.

Which makes me wonder if Zygarde will make an appearance as well or it'll just stay thrown there for no apparent reason other than give it a gen 7 new form for science.
Its side quest would probably stay the same, so yeah, just stays a throwaway from a game that was never made.

If they give it absurdly fat defensive stats, reliable recovery, and good supporting moves (Rocks/Spikes/Rapid Spin/Toxic) I'd honestly be okay with that.
Hmm, with all the eyes it has it'll probably get Mean Look, Glare, and Hypnosis. It's also very heavy so with a good Attack stat it can make great use out of Heavy Slam; and if it's slow maybe can also get use from Gyro Ball. There's also Head Smash, that would be nice to have. Don't see it getting HP recovery moves.

I really like the new UB, but I really don't like the typing they have Assembly and Burst... Assembly screams Rock Ghost and it would have been such a cool and unique typing. And Burst really looks like Fire Fairy which would also be a super cool typing but instead they slapped Ghost for no reason and called it a day. As for the stat spread and movepools, I'm hoping towards something like this:
139 HP
59 Atk
193 Def
53 SpA
103 SpD
23 Spe
Notable Moves I'd like it to get - Recover, Metal Burst, Stealth Rock
79 HP
47 Atk
97 Def
149 SpA
109 SpD
89 Spe
Moves I'd like it to get - Energy Ball, Focus Blast, Aura Sphere
59 HP
59 Atk
59 Def
131 SpA
131 SpD
131 Spe
Moves I'd like to see - Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Sticky Web

Here's a thought-

It's possible to explore ultra space more in this game, could there be wild encounters with UBs?

Adhesive is pure poison type and seem to be used by enemy trainers in the Ultra Recon team, who may or may not be the new villain team(especially as we can battle them as shown in the trailer). Is anyone else getting team rocket+ Zubat vibes? If so, it may suggest UB Adhesive can be caught in the wild ultraspace, and may be able to evolve.

Then again, Megalopolis could be like Aether Paradise- a huge explorable area with absolutely zero wild encounters.

breh

強いだね
I don't like the concept of real people in ultra land.

Like you're going to go out of your way to establish all of these cool-looking pokemon with weird designs (well, short of Phero) as being very specifically alien... and then you just stick people in there. Why people??? It'd almost be better if they were just straight up greys or something, having them pretty much be blue humans is dumb. Why they have Japanese names that don't sound foreign is beyond me. Imagine if you met an alien in Unova and their name was "Hamburger" or "Barbecue"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)