DP Research Thread #4 ("Newer still")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, sorry if this has been asked, but does Scrappy circumvent Wonder Guard on Shedinja?

I would have thought the answer to be no, because gaining the ability to hit Ghost-types with Normal/Fighting moves ought to be useless when said Ghost-type has Wonder Guard and "resists" fighting with its secondary type. But...

Kangaskhan DP Analysis said:
Aggron, Bastiodon, Probopass, Rotom, Banette and Shedinja all fall in one hit from Hammer Arm.
(Emphasis added)

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That is an error. Fixing. Wonder Guard still requires a super-effective hit to break through, regardless of Foresight / Scrappy.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think the Freeze rate might be 60/255 in this game. Since stuff like the Step Counter shifted from 256 to 255, it'd make sense for Freeze. Plus the 23.529% result is really close to the testing numbers above. I guess.

Just something strange I noticed...

I bred an Abra with my Shiny Timid Ditto. I got shiny abra in ~200 eggs
I bred a Rotom with the same Ditto. Got shiny in around ~250 eggs
Bred a Shiny Magnezone with a Shiny Modest Ditto. Got a shiny in about ~20 eggs.

I don't know if there is any way of checking this, but does shiny-ess of the parents affect the children in any way? (I never hatched a shiny from an egg before)
I am sure that it is always the same chance of being shiny, but these statistics are interesting. If you do 8192 or whatever the chances are) tests then you will know for sure. Have fun!.....Just kidding. Sorry, I think that will be VERY hard to work out. Keep em breeding and you will know. The breeding guide says it is always the same chance of shiny as in the wild, but that may be if both the parents are not shiny...

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, first research post in a while. I finally got my hands on a Custap Berry (many thanks to BARON9), and I ran a test that I've been dying to run for months.

We know that Custap Berry activates not when the holder reaches 1/4 HP, but the next time the holder uses a move. The holder eats the Berry right at the beginning of the priority bracket in which its chosen move lies. So I thought to myself, if a move is used outside the context of the priority bracket system, perhaps the Custap Berry won't be eaten at all.

It turns out my hunch was right. If the holder of a Custap Berry has less than 1/4 of its health and uses Pursuit on a Pokémon switching out, the Custap Berry isn't eaten.

OK, here goes the Situation

Double Battle Vs Pachirsu trainer

Sandstorm is up

Opponent:
Attracted Paralyzed Rock Type Pachirsu (so as not to get in the way hurt by sandstorm and end battle too early)

Me:
Togekiss Lv 100 (372 SpA, Choice Specs)
Clamperl Lv 98 (113 SpD, Shell Armor, Rock Type, DeepSeaScale)

Using Air Slash:

If Sandstorm Boost is before Item Boost: (338 SpD)
.85 – 67 Damage
.86 – 68 Damage
….
.99 – 78 Damage
1.00 – 79 Damage

If Item Boost is before Sandstorm Boost: (339 SpD)
.85 – 66 Damage
.86 – 67 Damage
….
.99 – 77 Damage
1.0 – 78 Damage

Therefore, I ran trials till I got either 66 Damage or 79.

Trials:
Air Slash:
1: 194-117= 77
2: 117-48=69
3: 193-123=70
4: 123-53=70
5: 194-122=72
6: 122-47=75
7: 194-117=77
8: 117-40=77
9: 194-117=77
10: 117-46=71
11: 194-124=70
12: 124-52=72
13: 194-128=66

Therefore, judging by the results I got, Item Boost comes before the Sandstorm Boost.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I've got a few questions before I start testing stuff, because I'm going to be in the car for most of my day tomorrow while I travel to my Granparent's house so I have lots of free time to do this.

-Is there anything specific that needs testing, because I'm not sure if the original posts have been tested already and don't need further testing or if they do. I'll also be without wi-fi during my car ride so, do you have any suggestions for stuff I can test ingame?
-This question is completely random, but do any of the ingame trainers/Gym leaders/E-4/Champion/Rival have any Ev's on their Pokemon? Also, how are their Pokemon's IV's/natures decided? Is it random each time you fight them(Like how it would be for wild Pokemon), or are they set from the very beginning when you start a new game?

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
-This question is completely random, but do any of the ingame trainers/Gym leaders/E-4/Champion/Rival have any Ev's on their Pokemon? Also, how are their Pokemon's IV's/natures decided? Is it random each time you fight them(Like how it would be for wild Pokemon), or are they set from the very beginning when you start a new game?
I messed around a little with the Steal Trainers' Pokémon AR code a while ago to figure some of this out.

It seems that there are no EVs anywhere.

I believe the IVs of most trained Pokémon are zeros across the board, but advanced trainers, gym leaders, and the Elite Five have better quality Pokémon (The E5 in particular have all 30/30/30/30/30/30 Pokémon). This seems to explain all the Fighting-type Hidden Powers coming from trained Pokémon like the Abras in the Jubilife training school (I believe the only other possible type is Dark, from all odd IVs).

The natures are arbitrary and differ from Pokémon to Pokémon. However, a specific trained Pokémon's nature doesn't vary from battle to battle or game to game (For example, Aaron's Dustox is Modest in both my Diamond and Pearl). I never said the natures had to be good, though - Cynthia's Spiritomb is Jolly, and her Garchomp is Timid!

Double Battle:
My Cloned Cherrims attacking each other with Solarbeam while sunny

SpA:229
SpD:183

If both Flower Gift's activate: Damage 47-56
If only one Activates: 70-83

Cherrim 1a:263-192=71
Cherrim 1b:263-191=72
Cherrim 2a:191-112=79
Cherrim 2b:191-113=78

Ergo: If two Cherrims are out when it is sunny, they only receive one boost from Flower Gift.

Edit for Early Bird Test:

Double Battle:

Breloom used Spore!
Dodrio fell asleep!
Dodrio woke up!

Ergo: Pokemon with Early Bird can wake up after 0 turns.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
Dream Eater fails against a Sleeping Pokemon who has a Sub up. It says the Pokemon is unaffected.

Miracle Eye like Foresight does not remove the evade boost from Snow Cloak and Brightpowder.

Normalize Testing

Double Battle with my favorite twins :p

Mew (Normailze)
Houndour (Flash Fire)

Pt 1:

Obi said:
Does Normalized Will-O-Wisp still boost Flash Fire? If a Normalized Fire move activates the chance to burn, does that activate Flash Fire?
Mew used Will-O-Wisp!
It doesn't effect Houndoom...

Pt 2:

Obi said:
Does Normalize really change the type of the move to Normal, or does it change it to the user's type. If the second, what happens if a dual-typed Pokemon gets Normalize?
Mew used Grass Knot!
(Move Hits)

Ergo:
1: Normalized Will-O-Wisp doesn't burn Fire-Type Flash Fire Pokemon, nor does it power up Flash Fire.
2: Normilize makes all moves normal types.

A Ground Pokémon with Motor Drive/Volt Absorb will not receive the boosts from the abilities.

Double Battle with Claydol and Electivire
Electivire KOs one of the foe's Pokémon with a move
Claydol used Skill Swap on Electivire
Foe does something irrelevant.

Electivire used Discharge!
It doesn't affect Claydol...

I also tested it out with Jolteon, the same thing happens- no healing from Volt Absorb.

I'm intrigued. Has there been any official research on the shiny ditto breeding theory?

If not, could someone calculate the odds of getting 3 shiny pokemon in the space of time that Mastadi achieved?

Either way, the results would be interesting.

I can answer this question: "Does Heal Block prevent you from using Aqua Ring and Ingrain, or does it just block their healing for 5 turns?"

I used my Giritina's heal block against Cynthia's Milotic. The next move it used was Aqua Ring, but it didn't gain any HP back. So it just blocks healing for five turns, I suppose.

Has anyone found the order of the speed formula yet? I have been working on it and I have 3 of the 4 modifiers in order (Stat Modifier, Item, Ability, Paralysis) and i want to know if I was doing my test for any reason or not

Edit: Results of Testing

Testing Speed:

There are Four things that effect speed: Item Ability, Stat modifiers, Paralysis

Test 1: Item, Stat Modifier

Double Battle

Steelix (Speed 11)
Steelix (Speed 11, Macho Brace, Rock Polish)

If Item before Stat Modifiers

11 * .5 = 5(.5) * 2 = 10
Second Steelix Will never go First

If Item after Stat Modifiers

11* 2 = 22 *.5 = 11
Second Steelix Will go First half the time

Results:

Steelix w/ Macho Brace went First, ergo,

Order is Stat Modifier, then Item, (Ability, Paralysis is not determined yet)
---------------

Test 2: Item, Ability

Double Battle:

Victreebel (Speed 73, Chlorophyll, Power Lens)
Dodrio (Speed 73)

If Item before Ability

73 * .5 = 36(.5) * 2 = 72
Victreebel Will never go First

If Item after Ability

73* 2 = 146 *.5 = 73
Victreebel Will go First half the time

Results: Victreebel Went first once.

Order is (Stat Modifier, Ability) (Order not sure) Item, (Paralysis is not determined)
=============

Test 3: Stat Modifier, Ability

Double Battle:

Victreebel (Speed 73, Chlorophyll, -2 speed (From a Jumpluff Cotton Spore))
Dodrio (Speed 73)

If Stat before Ability

73 * .5 = 36(.5) * 2 = 72

If Stat after Ability

73* 2 = 146 *.5 = 73

Results: After 6 tries, Dodrio went first each time

Order is Stat Modifier, Ability, Item, (Paralysis is not determined)

-------------------

Test 4: Paralysis, Ability

Double Battle:

Victreebel (Speed 75, Chlorophyll, Paralyzed)
Furret (Speed 37)

If Paralysis before Ability

75 * .25 = 18(.75) * 2 = 36

If Paralysis after Ability

75* 2 = 150 *.25 = 37(.5)

Results: Victreebel went first once

Order is Stat Modifier, Ability, (Paralysis/Item is not determined)

--------------------------------

Test 5: Parlysis, Item

Double Battle:

Ditto (Speed 39, Quick Powder, Paralyzed)
Quagsire (Speed 19)

If Paralysis before Item

39 * .25 = 9(.75) * 2 = 18
Ditto Will never go First

If Paralysis after Item

39* 2 = 78 *.25 = 19(.5)
Ditto Will go First half the time

Results: After switching so ditto was ditto after setting up, Ditto went first once

Ergo, the order is Stat Modifier, Ability, Item, Paralysis

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Good show, RB Golbat. That's very valuable information.

EDIT:
Mastadi said:
Just something strange I noticed...

I bred an Abra with my Shiny Timid Ditto. I got shiny abra in ~200 eggs
I bred a Rotom with the same Ditto. Got shiny in around ~250 eggs
Bred a Shiny Magnezone with a Shiny Modest Ditto. Got a shiny in about ~20 eggs.

I don't know if there is any way of checking this, but does shiny-ess of the parents affect the children in any way? (I never hatched a shiny from an egg before)
Noting that usually you have around 1 in 8192 chance of getting a Shiny Pokemon, is anyone up for testing this further?

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Miracle Eye like Foresight does not remove the evade boost from Snow Cloak and Brightpowder.
In the same vein as this, can Sweet Scent and/or Defog negate ability and/or item evasion boosts? Or do they only negate Double Team?

Can Sweet Scent remove the accuracy reduction that Fog causes? (without actually removing the Fog of course)

Not sure if this is known already but on Shoddy it came up that Mew learns attract but is genderless. I tested it on the real carts and the move always fails, regardless of the gender of the opponent.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Test: Micle Berry: Does it work like Lock-On or an accuracy boosting move?

With a Level 46 Abomasnow with Sheer Cold, I'll battle several other Pokémon around Level 36 (Acuity Lakefront). Substitute down to Micle Berry, then Sheer Cold. If Sheer Cold ever misses, it is an accuracy boost. If it does not, it can safely be assumed that Micle Berry has a Lock-On effect.

Battle 1: L46 Abomasnow v. L34 Snover: Abomasnow's Sheer Cold after Micle Berry missed.

This confirms that Micle Berry is NOT like Lock-On. More tests of random stuff later, but I don't have a partner to test with.

Encore test! Slower Mime Jr Encoring a Staraptor Defog
4 turns: 6
5 turns: 3
6 turns: 6
7 turns: 1
8 turns: 4

I may do 20 more later, but yeah. With my complete lack of knowledge of probability, it looks like even numbers are more favored.

I'm guessing along with every other attack boosting item Muscle Band doesn't boost confusion damage, I may test it if I have time.

Stuff I plan on doing tomorrow:
  • Pure Power v. Flower Gift testing
  • Various Anticipation tests
  • Obscure Download testing
  • Magic Guard recoil thing
  • Another Encore Trial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)