Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
to bugmaniac bob
Its too hard to explain whenever I ask them how to EV train they say, ya I have an Eevee! Its so hard to explain actually I give them YT video links and they still dont get it well. Trust me Ive tried a lot of times and one person got it and only EV trained his ubers. Seriously they would never be able to comprehend how to get a 252, 252, 6 spread...which is the easiest.

Yeah, most people at my college have only played RBY and know nothing of advanced techniques. There is one guy who plays D/P, but I am way better than he is.

zerowing, have you managed to get those videos uploaded yet?

Have you tried to teach them how to EV train? It's hopeless at my school? And POKEMONBATTLEBRAIN, you seem to know a lot about the tournaments you got any information about the US one yet?

If you try to teach them about EV training, you kind of have to lead them in to it. Explain simpler things like nature, and then once they get that idea tell them about EVs, and then IVs. don't just jump into IVs right off the bat; I've tried it and it only confuses them.

No, nothing has been announced for the US.....yet. I've been keeping my ear to the ground though, so you never know when a tasty tidbit will appear. ;) all I really care about is that there is a California one. :P but I know they will have more than that. Probably even more than last year.

I cant wait for this! After my ticket didnt get pulled last year, im hoping i can compete this year. I even have my lv 50 dragonite from TRU, but im no good at doubles...

well doubles is just thinking of a stronger bond between your Pokemon, like in singles you have to build a synergy between your Pokemon, but in Doubles that synergy has to be even stronger because you have two Pokemon out at the same time, of course it's helpful to send out two Pokemon that can support each other or have some gimmicky twist to them, since even if you lose atleast you did something random :D well I shouldn't be talking about losing since... that's not the point of a tournament... but it's still fun to finish off an opponent with a Lucario that Explodes on their last two Pokemon while Protect is Imprisoned ¦3

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, most people at my college have only played RBY and know nothing of advanced techniques. There is one guy who plays D/P, but I am way better than he is.

zerowing, have you managed to get those videos uploaded yet?
Sadly I haven't I've been incredibly busy with school, work, and other video games. Just know its in the back of my mind and I'll get to it eventually.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I am hopeful that between my son and I that we will get some practicing in, especially our 2008 teams along with considerations involving heatran, TRU dragonite and certain others which have benefited by Platinum moves.

I haven't been by this thread for about a week. ~.~ I'm going to need a TRU Dragonite for this thing, so I'll have to search trades, and what not.

Haku16 said:
i actually need help, i dont know what to make for double battles. any suggestions?
I think a Trick Room team would be a nice choice. Maybe with an Imprison Bronzong like one person used last year. I'm not used to doubles, so I dunno. ~.~

If i were to make some sort of team for this, it would probabaly be one of those lv 1 endeavor + quick attack teams. are they easy to counter?

Saturday
Yamaguchi
1st Takahiro Gengar/Metagross/Ludicolo/Kingdra
2nd TOSSY Zapdos/Salamance/Metagross/Shedinja

Sunday
Nagano
1st Zero Zapdos/Weavile/Snorlax/Metagross
2nd ??? Typhlosion/Togekiss/Gyarados/Absol

So many Metagrosses...

Saturday
Yamaguchi
1st Takahiro Gengar/Metagross/Ludicolo/Kingdra
2nd TOSSY Zapdos/Salamance/Metagross/Shedinja

Sunday
Nagano
1st Zero Zapdos/Weavile/Snorlax/Metagross
2nd ??? Typhlosion/Togekiss/Gyarados/Absol

So many Metagrosses...
Along with Metagross, Zapdos also seems to be a fairly consistent addition to most teams, any reason why? Didn't even register a blip anywhere here last year...

The most common approach either appears to be random sweepers stuck together (maybe something bulky as well thrown in) or some form of Rain Dance (for the obvious reason of being superior to other weathers).

The reason why Zapdos is used by many teams is they can outspeed Gyarados, Heatran, etc. and they are good at dealing with Metagross.
Also they have taught Heat Wave at Platinum. Formerly, Zapdos must have Hidden Power Ice, but now, even they don't have it, Thunderbolt/Heat Wave/Substitute/Detect could be useful.

The reason why Zapdos is used by many teams is they can outspeed Gyarados, Heatran, etc. and they are good at dealing with Metagross.
Also they have taught Heat Wave at Platinum. Formerly, Zapdos must have Hidden Power Ice, but now, even they don't have it, Thunderbolt/Heat Wave/Substitute/Detect could be useful.
Along those lines, why Gyarados? I guess he's for stopping Heatran and Intimidate, but what moves do they usually run here in doubles?

Another quick question if you don't mind, what's the usual EV spread for Zapdos? Earlier, you mentioned they ran a bit of HP and SpD to live through a Kingdra Hydro Pump, but do they dump the rest into Spe and then SpA? Or, do they tend to have a more "bulkier" spread, to better combat Metagross and such?

Extremely easy in doubles, since their are a lot of priority attackers in doubles in my experience and if you have a focus sash, then one Pokemon can destroy the sash then kill you.
I never thought of that.... but what about if there is trick room? im new to competitive battling and im not sure if trick room affects priority moves...

don't have something like FEAR, since they do not work in double battles. Things like Trick Room and lv. 1 Endeavour/Focus Sash smeargle sometimess works, you just have to use it carefully. ;)

Priority moves go first under Trick Room, too. Pity, or you could Focus Punch without fear under Trick Room - it's got negative priority.

Also, some priority moves beat others. All moves have a 'priority' - between about -5 and 5, off the top of my head. Turn order goes from highest priority move to lowest, and in situations where two pokemon have the same priority for a move - say, they both used Thunderbolt, priority 0 - then speed breaks the tie.

That's why Protect always goes before Bullet Punch - Protect has higher priority. That's why Focus Punch always goes last - it's got negative priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)