CAP 6 CAP 6 - Concept Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is where we discuss the general goal of the next Create-A-Pokemon project -- CAP 6. The Concept will be a guiding force throughout the ensuing project, to ensure the the final result is a cohesive competitive pokemon. Any discussions, suggestions, or submissions in later topics, that do not support the spirit of the Concept, will be moderated by the Topic Leader and forum staff.

Concepts must be presented as high-level descriptions of a general idea. They cannot be detailed pokemon designs. Since we have polls to determine each aspect of the pokemon, we cannot allow any specific features of the pokemon to be determined by the details of the Concept.

The following rules must be followed when submitting a Concept:

• One submission per person. You may edit your Concept, but you may not change the fundamental premise after it has been posted. If editing your concept, please edit the original post instead of posting a new revision. Do not bump your Concept after you have posted it. If people do not comment on it, so be it.

• Do not duplicate or closely-resemble Concepts already posted by others. It is your responsibility to read through all previous submissions in this thread to ensure you are complying with this rule. Ignorance or laziness is not an excuse.

• Specific Pokemon types or type combos cannot be included or excluded in a Concept. Nor can other characteristics of the Concept specifically result in in the inclusion or exclusion of Types. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    "This is a Dragon pokemon with..."
    "The pokemon should be immune to Ghost attacks..."
    "The pokemon should have at least 7 resistances..."
    "The pokemon should get STAB on Thunderbolt.."​

• Specific Abilities are not allowed. This applies to existing abilities and new abilities. Do not attempt to circumvent this rule by mentioning specific battle effects that can only be achieved by the implementation of an ability. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    "This pokemon should have a defensive ability like Intimidate or Marvel Scale..."
    "This pokemon has an ability that steals the opponent's held item..."
    "When this pokemon is switched in, all weather conditions are nullified..."​

• Movepools or lists of moves are not allowed. A specific move can be mentioned if it is the basis for the entire concept. For example, the Concept "Rapid Spinner" would obviously mention the move Rapid Spin.

• Specific stat bias, base stats, or base stat ratings are not allowed. It is acceptable to use descriptive phrases like "fast", "bulky", "strong attacker", etc -- since there are a variety of ways a pokemon can fit those descriptions without specifically requiring certain stats. But, do not use overly-specific descriptions that would narrowly constrain the pokemon's base stat spread.

• Indications of Physical/Special bias are discouraged, but acceptable if it is essential to the Concept.

• Do not refer to any part of the pokemon's artistic design. For example, the following phrases would be illegal:
    "This is a bright blue pokemon..."
    "The pokemon looks like a..."
    "The pokemon uses its long tail to..."​

• A Concept Submission consists of a Name and a Description. Please use the following format for posting Concepts:
    Name: Concept name
    Description: A short description of the concept.
  • You may include a separate explanation of your Concept in your submission post, but it is not part of the official Concept submission. This explanation may make suggestions, even specific suggestions, regarding the possible implementation of the Concept. This explanation should help facilitate discussion of the Concept -- but the explanation is NOT part of the Concept and will be omitted from the polls and any future use of the Concept. Since your explanation is non-binding, regarding future polls and threads, it will not be evaluated for purposes of determining if your concept is legal or illegal.

• Don't get too clever with the name. If the essence of the concept is not intuitively obvious in the name, then you are hurting your chances of people understanding it. If the essence of your concept cannot be expressed in a few words, then you need to seriously re-evaluate your concept.

• Concept descriptions should be short. A sentence or two is normal. Long descriptions are invariably too specific or too convoluted. Keep it short. Do NOT include your explanation of the concept in the Description.

It is the submitter's responsibility to figure out how to make a legal submission within the rules listed above. Do not complain about the difficulty of making a submission in this thread. There are many, many legal concepts that can be presented within the rules. Here are few examples of good and bad Concepts from previous projects:

Good Concepts from Past Projects
"Pure Utility Pokemon"
"Anti-Ghost Rapid Spinner"
"True Garchomp Counter"
"Great Lead Pokemon"
"Ultimate Weather Abuser"
"Status Counter"

Bad Concepts from Past Projects
"Ice-Resisting Dragon"
"Super Luck User"
"STAB Explosion Glass Cannon"
"Auto-Stealth Rock Remover"
"A Pokemon with Special Intimidate"
"Pyrokinetic Pokemon (Fire/Psychic)"
"Special Guts"
"Typing Means Nothing"​

Here's a sample of a legal Concept post. This is not an actual submission. I'm just using it to illustrate the Name, Description, and explanation. :

Concept: "Kingdra of the Sun"
Description: A good pokemon with a varied movepool under normal conditions. But, it becomes a dangerous sweeping force in sunny weather.

I think Sunny Day is underutilized in the current metagame and I would like us to make a new pokemon that could make Sunny Day teams playable in OU, much like Kingdra almost single-handedly makes Rain teams viable in OU. Typing could be just about anything, although Fire and/or Grass are the most obvious. Water typing might be interesting to help it stop Heatran from becoming even more of a beast once the Sun goes up, and ruining the fun for this pokemon. Chlorophyll would be an easy way to make a good sweeper, but Solar Power doesn't get the love it should, and might be an interesting option. There are lots of nice abilities that could help this thing do its job. I think fiery art designs are always cool and I can imagine this pokemon having lots of colorful fire effects, if we make it part Fire.
Note that all the "illegal stuff" is in the explanation. The official submission is very carefully worded to not specifically dictate anything in later polls.

Please try to remember that we are simply pointing the project in a general direction, we are not trying to decide anything right now. We have several weeks of polls ahead of us where EVERYTHING about this pokemon will be dissected, discussed, voted, and decided. The Concept is a very basic guide for the creation process. It is hard to provide solid concept descriptions without basically designing the entire pokemon right off the bat. Submissions should be written and chosen very carefully, to avoid these problems.

Alright, I promised to start posting more so I'm going to start here.

Name: "Definite GG"
Description: A pokemon constructed specifically for late game sweeping. Basically solidifying wins at the end of a match.

A little broad? Maybe.

Concept: "Feeling Lucky, Punk?"
Description: A Pokemon that completely relies on "hax" to make any sort of impact on a match. While it isn't completely useless without it, it only really shines when it's inflicting bad luck onto your opponent.

Name: Mr. Gorbachev, Tear down your walls (Wall Breaker)

Description: This pokemon will serve one purpose: Wall Breaking. This means that it will probably not sweep itself, but rather, it will open up the other team to being swept by another pokemon, by taking down one or two walls in the opposing team.

Obviously, this Pokemon is going to be a mixed attacker. It will rely on its movepool to act as a threat to many things, but its weakness will be that it is limited to four moves and can not break every wall with those moves. Personally, I have no idea what this would look like or what stabs it could have, but presumably, they would have to be stabs that hit the common walls of the CAP metagame, while not giving it too many weaknesses.

Concept: "Unpredictable"
Description: A Pokemon that can do a lot of different roles to fit into any team.

So this Pokemon could be a wall that hits hard or a supporter. Can go Physical, Special or both. This Pokemon is just hard to counter till you know what it does.

Name: Decentralizer
Description:A Pokemon can check a majority of the current top 5 Pokemon.

This is basically what Gormenghast wanted to do with Camerupt, but broader. I feel that specifically mentioning Scizor, Zapdos, and Heatran makes the concept too restrictive, but ideally this would be able to take at least two of these Pokemon on (Blissey does fthis for certain varients of Zapdos and Heatran). Unfortunately, there are very few type combos that do this, which is why I don't want to mention any specific Pokemon in the description.

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'll remind everyone of some advice in the OP: "Don't get too clever with the name."*

People forget that the first poll has like 30+ options. Most voters only read the name. If the name doesn't directly convey the concept -- it is doomed.

Concept: A Gimmick That Works
Description: Whether from a movepool, ability, or typing, or whatever, this Pokemon takes something rather gimmicky and makes it work, and work well.

I dunno, I got kind of lazy.
I was inspired by the likes of Castform and Kecleon.

Name: Five Finger Discount
Descripition: This Pokemon can support its team with various assist tactics, and works well with different items.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Concept: It's Your Choice
Description: A Pokemon that has Choice items as its most viable options.

This Pokemon would, ideally, be able to make excellent (and exclusive) use of Choice items. It's movepool might consist of very little set-up, but a wide range of offensive moves. It might not be too fast, but it could hit just the right speeds if you added a Scarf. I feel that, with Choice items (minus Heatran, because that's just a given) having been in a sort of decline, CAP could revitalize these interesting items.

Just to get this out of the way, yes I'm new and am inexperienced with such things. That being said...

Name: Trick Room Leader

Description: A slightly above average Pokemon that shines when Trick Room is thrown down.

Trick Room is cool and has a lot going for it, but it feels too gimmicky to work. Basically, this CAP can change that by becoming a solid addition to the team, possibly altering Trick Room itself.

Name: A balanced deoxys-e

Description: Deoxys-e was a very interesting pokemon but it was just made unbalanced. It was an incredible end game sweeper and could be a great lead. Im not saying make it the fastest thing in the game (though it should be fast) just make it fill deoxys' old job but not quite as incredibly as the real one did. (I don't mean make it psychic type or give it all of deoxys' moves either.

DougJustDoug

Another reminder from the OP:

"Concept descriptions should be short. A sentence or two is normal. Long descriptions are invariably too specific or too convoluted. Keep it short. Do NOT include your explanation of the concept in the Description.

If you do not understand the difference between the "Description" and the "Explanation", then I suggest you re-read the OP more carefully.

SoT

I leave and they change my avatar to this?
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Name: The Great Wall

Description:
A pokemon who can switch repeatedly into attacks and keep many of the common threats in check.
---

With the release of Platinum in shoddy, and all these new highly offensive threats on the loose, the metagame seems pretty unbalanced. I think a pokemon who can switch repeatedly into physical attacks, and keep many of the common threats in check, would help bring this metagame back slightly into balance.

Concept: Trick or Treat
Description: This pokemon doesn't necessarily rely on moves with the word trick in the name, but basically moves that switch things around. Moves like guard swap, skill swap, psycho shift, trick room, power trick, trick, etc.

Okay, trick room is extremely underrated, so it would be good to support a trick room team. It could be used either to support the team or attempt to sweep by itself with power trick. Or maybe it could be the first ever pokemon to abuse the move skill swap?

Concept: Physical-Sweeping Spinner

Description: A Rapid Spinner that has the potential to sweep on the physical side of the spectrum.

EDIT - adding this as some background for the idea:
CardsOfTheHeart said:
The idea started as a desire for a "physical Starmie." Starmie and Tentacruel are the only Spinners with at least 100 Base Speed and they use Special attacks. I want a fast spinner from the physical side that doesn't require any support in order to do so. (Sorry, Kabutops, but you have better things to do in the rain.)

Name: Cripplemon
Description: A Pokemon that focuses on weakening and crippling your opponent.

Froslass was a good one -using Parafusion- but it is only UU. I think that a OU crippler would be great.

Concept: The Stealth Rock Factor

Description: A pokemon who's presence encourages the use of Stealth Rock weak pokes without completly eliminating the benefits of Stealth Rocks

Whether you think it has a positive or negative impact on the metagame, Stealth Rocks definantly has had a major influence in the new generations competitive environment. While there are ways to prevent or remove it, its presence still forces some constraint on both team design and the CaP's pokemon design. I believe there are a lot potential solutions that could be implented to lessen the steep wall SR has placed in front of certain pokemons use without completly removing SR as a factor.

Name: High risk, high reward.
Description: (not a glass cannon) This Pokemon would rely on riskier moves in order to make its impact on the battle. When it works, it works really well - so trainers will need very good prediction to make it work.

This is comparable to something like Magmortar using Focus Punch.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Name: Destructor
Description: A pokemon that can destroy most walls, and can set up other pokemon for a sweep.

Name: The Great Wall

Description:
A pokemon who can switch repeatedly into attacks and keep many of the common threats in check.
---

With the release of Platinum in shoddy, and all these new highly offensive threats on the loose, the metagame seems pretty unbalanced. I think a pokemon who can switch repeatedly into physical attacks, and keep many of the common threats in check, would help bring this metagame back slightly into balance.
A-ha! I was going to post this one, so of course I support it. Maybe people will disregard it because it's a "boring" concept, but in order to attain an equilibrium between offense and defense in the metagame, I think we need this pokémon.

Gogo Great Wall!

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Name: Anti Switch

Description:
A Pokemon that blocks or punishes switching.

Explanation:
There are so many ways this could go but if done right all would lead to a better metagame.
As it is the only viable switch blockers are Dugtrio, Magnezone and STAB Pursuit users, I think that this is quite limited considering that a large majority of the most threatening Pokemon that you want out of the way (SkyMin, Gyrados, Salamence, Scarftran, some Tyranitar) have little or no problem dealing with or escapeing from these trappers and psudo trappers.

Something that has the ability not just to counter some top OUs, but to remove them from the game (possibly only via revenge trapping) would be a great help IMO. SkyMin and Tyranitar in particular are very centriliseing for the CaP metagame.

I would have liked to post something very similar to what RBG posted, but whatever^^

Name: Kingdra in the Snow
Description: A pokemon who has average sweeping capabilities but has the potential to become a real force in the Hail

Explanation: Yes, I inspired this to the example concept^^ but this does not limit its importance. We all know that Hail teams lack a bit in the offensive departement, since the only offensive boost granted by the Hail is 100% acc Blizzard. Most Hail teams thus rely on stall, but in this department they are greatly hindered by Stealth Rock. Much like Kingdra in the rain, I'd like that Hail teams could take advantage of a sweeper which under the hail - and only under the hail, unlike Syclant and friends - could become a true top OU sweeper.

EDIT: @TimeMage: that could be a good concept, but I fear there is the risk to create something which could outclass standard OU walls instead to add variety to the metagame. Ok, balance it's important, but I would not want to sacrifice variety for this.

EDIT2: Evil Lord, I think your concept is far too similar - almost identical - to RBG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)