Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So, I am currently EV training the last poke of the 6 I'll use for the VGC. However, it just now occurred to me that I may, in fact, have a serious problem on my hand...or not...

2 of my pokes on my team were bred from parents that were both from random people on the GTS and I got 1 white herb from there too. I don't know if they were legitimate or not!!!

I've never used a "Gameshark", "Pokesav", or whatever on my DS, or my cartridge, and I've never used the GTS on my Platinum cartridge. The parents stats and moves were all in order. All the breeding and trading took place on my Pear cartridge. Every single poke on my Platinum cartridge was caught in Platinum, or bred by me in Pearl and then traded to Platinum from 1 DS to the other.

Do I have any reason to worry about the 2 pokes that I bred whos parents were of ambiguous origin?

Do I have any reason to worry about the 1 White Herb that is of ambiguous origin?

I'm just concerned that I'll actually get to the finals and be disqualified because of 1 shifty item and 2 pokes with shifty parents?!?!?!?!?!
I'm fairly sure you'll be fine. The only thing children obtain from their parents is IVs, nothing more. Hacked parents won't cause the children to appear as hacked.

For the sake of all of us here at Smogon who are putting forth the time and effort to create a VGC team, please don't try to swap wristbands with your friends. You will only be preventing other from participating who actually intend to participate. Plus, as you can see from the above post, there is no way you will be able to get those wristbands off of your friends without the wristband looking tampered with.

Deleted User 33526

Banned deucer.
I am getting more nervous as each day goes by. I am now doubting that I will get in to participate (whenever I doubt myself it ends up good for me). One of the people who was supposed to pay $200 for the trip backed out. AND I have to find a cheap place to eat in Nashville.

I am getting more nervous as each day goes by. I am now doubting that I will get in to participate (whenever I doubt myself it ends up good for me). One of the people who was supposed to pay $200 for the trip backed out. AND I have to find a cheap place to eat in Nashville.
I know how you feel, if you dont live close to one of these tornuments your pretty much screwed :[. If your parents are taking you, or you have to pay for a hotel or something/ a lot of gas, I really wouldnt suggest going from a far away location. If its like a 2-3hour drive I guess you might want to but don't bother flying in just for a tornument you might not even get slected to.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What in the world? I don't know where any of you got the idea that it was okay to request VGC battles in this thread (if someone told you this was alright, my apologies). Take this to the "Battle Me" thread in WiFi. You can talk about team strategies for VGC, but I don't think this needs to become a battle request thread.

So, essentially anyone who wants a VGC battle go there and ask for one!

Edit: I deleted the posts for anyone wondering what I'm talking about lol.

Yeah, but it all depends on what the user of the BellyLax thinks. Also, just so you know, the BellyLax gets owned by the Machamp/Lapras team, as they are anti-TR.

There's a video online that you can see on your DS I think, it's a team w/ BellyLax and Gross iirc. It got annihilated fyi, and the guy using it was a guy named Greg.
I'll ask yet again if anyone can explain this to me.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
I'll ask yet again if anyone can explain this to me.
It doesn't really, although I don't know the details of his team so I'm not too sure. Machamp though will cause problems because it's relatively bulky, has a super effective move on Snorlax, it outspeeds Metagross in TR, and it can cause Confusion which can hax you to death. Lapras can't do anything as it's walled by every single Pokemon on the team other than Smeargle. So just play around Machamp and the team should be fine(again, I don't know his movesets, and since Smeargle can have any move in the game you never know what moves it might know).

Edit: Also, the part about calling Dusknoir/Smeargle/Machamp/Lapras an anti-TR team is kind of ironic since that team is a Trick Room team.

It doesn't really, although I don't know the details of his team so I'm not too sure. Machamp though will cause problems because it's relatively bulky, has a super effective move on Snorlax, it outspeeds Metagross in TR, and it can cause Confusion which can hax you to death. Lapras can't do anything as it's walled by every single Pokemon on the team other than Smeargle. So just play around Machamp and the team should be fine(again, I don't know his movesets, and since Smeargle can have any move in the game you never know what moves it might know).

Edit: Also, the part about calling Dusknoir/Smeargle/Machamp/Lapras an anti-TR team is kind of ironic since that team is a Trick Room team.

Well, I'm not sure how it works, but somehow, it must, since batpig won SFO with it.

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
Oh, I thought you meant how it works to be an anti-TR team. If what you mean is how it worked in general, it's a TR team and so it automatically has a good shot at winning, and if someone good is using it that increases the chances of winning even more.

When are we making a thread or changing this thread to Phoenix which is this Saturday? I really want to know who is going to this one

When are we making a thread or changing this thread to Phoenix which is this Saturday? I really want to know who is going to this one
Don't worry, Phoenix's updates will be made. The starter of the OP, zerowing, is going to be there, so he should make the changes faster as he'll be present at Phoenix this week.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I designed batpig's team, and I don't know if he is posting a story or not, so here is the team in it's full glory:

Smeargle (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Dark Void
- Detect
- Fake Out
- Transform

Dusknoir (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 80 Spd / 60 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Imprison
- Protect
- Shadow Punch
- Trick Room

Lapras (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 156 HP / 100 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

Machamp (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Dynamicpunch
- Protect
- Rock Slide

I designed it as a sort of dual mode team as evidenced by Dusknoir's moveset, if I'm playing vs another TR team I use Imprison, if not I go to Trick Room mode. From there it really depends on the opposing Pokemon, but often times I switch Machamp in and Smeargle then Transforms into it and both of them begin to pound away with Dynamicpunch and Rock Slide. Lapras was another Pokemon Smeargle enjoys Transforming into, with both using Surf and gaining HP every turn, and Perish Song is a tremendous life saver as it shortens the time in which the opponent can win, reducing the game to 3 turns if they only have 2 Pokemon left (thats not the only time it can be used though). As part of the dual mode every Pokemon on the team has 76 Speed so it can operate effectively depending on the mode being used, so those of you saying its TR or it is Anti-TR are both wrong, it is TR AND Anti-TR.

what does dusknoir outrun with those speed EVs? i cant think of many common pokes in that speed tier except well other dusknoir, which realy any IV above 0 will outspeed them, not really critizing just curios

but do you really need 80 speed EVs to be prevented from taunt?
they will be running mininum speed so anyhting above 0 should be fine, just have a 31 speed IV stat and i think that would prevent that

pherhaps to outspeed an specific taunter poke or threat, idk because this is not my team lol, just guessing

EDIT: @zerowing: this is what i was thinking. My first team was almost like that, but then i realized about other strategy that is better than this one

yes i read the part about all of them having 76 speed but i dont see how that advantages dusknoir especially if you are not running endevour on smeargle

also i cannot think of any specific taunter that dusknoir will be outrunning anytime soon
also there is fake out smeargle to prevent some taunts

i dont think those EVs will effect the order dusknoir will be going in either TR or no TR excluding teamates but there is no difference or advantage for your dusknoir to outspeed or be outsped.

those EVs can even work against him if he did set up trick room (although rarely)

yes i read the part about all of them having 76 speed but i dont see how that advantages dusknoir especially if you are not running endevour on smeargle

also i cannot think of any specific taunter that dusknoir will be outrunning anytime soon
also there is fake out smeargle to prevent some taunts

i dont think those EVs will effect the order dusknoir will be going in either TR or no TR excluding teamates but there is no difference or advantage for your dusknoir to outspeed or be outsped.

those EVs can even work against him if he did set up trick room (although rarely)
If he's facing a trick room team he would imprison it, and if he is facing a not trick room team, dusknoir under trick room will be faster than the pokes of the non-trick room team

yes i get that but where do the 80 speed EVs come in? under both options those 80 speed evs made no difference

If he's facing a trick room team he would imprison it, however since trick room has negative priority imprison will go first
if he is not facing a trick room team he will trick room, however because trick room has negative priority trick room would go last anyway, and now under trick room he is faster so that also has an offchance to be faster under trick room then something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)