B&W Research Thread

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
A Minor Question: How much is Cross Flame/Cross Thunder boosted by the other attack? And what specific requirement is needed for them to get the boost?
I tested part of this a while back
1) The power is doubled. I posted earlier in this thread regarding this, but it's a bit far back.
2) To get the double power, the move must move AFTER the other during that turn. So if a faster Zekrom uses Cross Thunder, then a slower Reshiram uses Cross Flame, Cross Flame gets double power. If Zekrom uses Cross Thunder on the next turn, however, it will not get a power boost (but Reshiram will if it uses Cross Flame).
3) I have not yet tested what would happen if there are multiple Cross Flames / Cross Thunders
4) These Pokemon do not have to hit each other to get the power boost. You can target both Cross Thunder/Flame anywhere and the one that moves after will always get the boost.

^ In case of double/triple battles, do any of the Cross moves still get the boost if their user does not move immediately after the first Cross user?

Example, because I'm not sure if I worded it properly: Your Reshiram uses Cross Flame. The opponent's Exploud uses Hyper Voice, and his Magikarp uses Hyper Beam. Your Lagging Tail Zekrom uses Cross Thunder. Does it get a damage boost?

Quick question on Magic Guard + Psycho Shift and Toxic. I checked up on the 4th gen move/ability descriptions on the main site, and first page of this thread and found nothing about Psycho Shifting the Toxic Status.

Does it transfer normal poison, or toxic poison? If the latter, does the counter start from 0, or pick up where from where it left off before it was passed. I assume the former here, but it's worth finding out.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Confirmed Encourage gives a 1.3x boost to moves that have a secondary effect on the opponent, but prevents that effect from occurring. Also stops Life Orb recoil from occurring for moves that gain the Encourage boost, but still gives the Life Orb boost. Does not apply to moves that have been given the flinch secondary effect by King's Rock. (Slipperjeans Afti, El Sargento)
Does this include locking in from Outrage/Petal Dance/Thrash??

Encourage gives a 1.3x boost to moves that have a less than 100% chance of a secondary effect when they hit, but prevents that effect from occurring.
I did a few tests regarding Encourage.
- Dynamicpunch does not confuse the target and gets a 1.3x damage boost.
- Outrage still locks the user and confuses the Encourage user afterwards.
- Leaf Storm still lowers the Encourage user's Special Attack.

What happens when something with encourage uses Icy Wind or one of its variants? Is that considered a 100% chance to lower a stat? Same with Nitro Charge.

Information
Mold breaker negates EVERY ability that happen when user atatcks that has something to do with negating an attack.
I found out that when ononokusu guilotine gigaiasu it CAN break through sturdy.
Thats common knowledge. The big info is IF you OHKO gigaiasu with earthquake for example using Mold Breaker no kusu against Sturdy Giga THE STURDY FOCUS SASH EFFECT IS NEGATED
tried during the Spiral tower plot where sports hall has sturdy second form of giga.
My ono OHKO with +4 outrage and sturdy didnt activate

What happens when something with encourage uses Icy Wind or one of its variants? Is that considered a 100% chance to lower a stat? Same with Nitro Charge.
if you use 100% chance like level ground the effect is negated
same with I see wind. Also Charge get power boost from enco

locopoke

Banned deucer.
Does Helping Hand stack in Triples? Not sure if this has been tested or not, but I'd like to know the answer.

Does Roost still actually remove the Pokémon's Flying-type? Because a wild Hatooboo just used Roost and my Shikijika's Double Kick did a tiny amount of damage right afterwards, with no super effective message that I could see.

Starly used Roost
Starly regained health
Shikijika used Double Kick
It's super effective
Hit 2 times

Starly used Roost
Starly regained health
Pikachu used Thundershock
(hit with neutral damage, no super effective message)

Roost still removes the Pokemon's Flying-type.

Magic Room

How does Magic Room affect Arceus holding a plate and Giratina-O? I would assume that the item nullifying effect wouldn't apply to them, but I'm curious to see the actual result.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Question:

If a transformed Hihidaruma loses Daruma Mode, will it revert back or will it stay transformed?

I have to questions about the item Balloon:

1. If the field is under the effects of gravity, is the effect from balloon nulled?

2. If a pokemon is holding the item Balloon, are immune to Toxic Spikes/Spikes?

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I have to questions about the item Balloon:

1. If the field is under the effects of gravity, is the effect from balloon nulled?

2. If a pokemon is holding the item Balloon, are immune to Toxic Spikes/Spikes?
1. almost certainly yes, but i might be wrong
2. 100% yes

Some things i'd like to have cleared regarding doubles & triples.

What is the order of the targets for multi target attacks?

From what I saw it's ennemy first slot, ennemy second slot, ennemy third slot and then partner. Speed isn't relevant. To get the real order you can use super effective / not very effective attacks so the message display for all pokemon and you can deduce the order (because you see the animation on both foes at the same time). This needs to be confirmed...

What is the damage reduction for multi target attacks?

Is it still 75 % like in gen 4? What about, in triples, an attack from the middle pokemon that hits all three foes? Is it still 75%? Assuming yes, but this needs to be confirmed...

If all prior target pokemon were koed and only one pokemon is left on the target list of a multi target attack, is the attack against that pokemon at full power?

In gen 4, if you used heat wave with both foes alive and koed the first pokemon, the attack hit the second pokemon at full power. Is it still the case in gen 5? Assuming no, but needs to be confirmed.

Is the move option in a triple battle stopped by things like confusion, full paralysis, attract, etc. or mean look/spider web/block/magnet pull/etc., and if it is stopped by those moves does shed shell allows movement?

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus
A bunch of random Double/Triple Battle research:

-Wide Guard does not Block Perish Song, but it does block ally multitarget attacks (like Earthquake)

-Multi-Target Attack message Order looks something like this:

Example, Doryuuzu in center of a triple battle uses Earthquake

Check for Immunity (or Levitate) on the Ally side, position 1, then position 3. Then check Opponent side, position 1, then 2, then 3,
Check for Wide Guard in same way
Check for Protect
Check for Telepathy (and possibly other abilities)
Check for misses

Deal Damage to Allies
Check for Fainted Allies

Deal Damage to Opponents
Check for Fainted Opponents

The Super Effective message is displayed before the Not Very Effective message.
It displays the name of the Pokemon in the message (eg. It's Super Effective against ________!)
If multiple are hit by a super effective attack, it will say both names in one message (eg. It's Super Effective against ______ and _____!). Same for multiple Not Very Effectives. The first name listed is the Pokemon at a lower Position number (1 -> 2 -> 3)

-Attack failure message order, the ones listed first will show up over others if more than one apply (eg. Flying Type Pokemon uses Protect, Opponent uses Earthquake, message will say that you are immune to the attack):

Immunity (by Type and at least by Levitate)
Wide Guard (and probably Fast Guard as well)
Protect
Telepathy (probably by some other abilities here as well)
Misses

-Multi-Target attacks are 75% power unless you are targeting exactly one target. The power does not change in mid attack like in DPP.
-Ability Activation ties are resolved based on the speed of the users.

Things that will still need to be tested (although most of this is just asthetic work):

The order that other ability based immunities activate (LightningRod, Storm Drain, Hyper Cutter, Clear Body, Insomnia, Etc.)
How Critical Hit messages are placed in after the attack hits, when multi-targetted

If a transformed Hihidaruma loses Daruma Mode, will it revert back or will it stay transformed?
It will revert back to it's normal form, tested this with skill swap.
I'm not sure if this is known but Daruma mode only activates at the end of the turn. As such if Hihidaruma's HP drops to less then half and uses Rest in the same turn, Daruma Mode will not activate.
Also a pokemon who gets Daruma mode through Skill Swap will never activate the ability.

Both Icy wind and Nitro Charge got a 1.3x damage boost, however Icy wind did not drop the target's speed and Nitro Charge didn't boost the Encourage user's Speed.

Wicked Thief: can it steal items if the attacker is behind a Substitute?
Yes, it still stole the item.

Shouldn't you update the EXP share formula question? I am sure we got the answer for it
The topic isn't updated every time someone has finished his research, usually Omegadonut does one huge update in which he adds the results, credits and the new questions(the last one was on 27 October). I imagine doing so takes a lot of time, as such it can't be done every day or week. Also considering TheMaskedNitpicker has gone inactive, Omegadonut will have to do all the updates to the OP by himself.

It would be nice if someone else would get appointed to help Omegadonut keeping this topic up to date however(same goes for the Dreamworld topic). It's too much work for someone who already has 2 other projects in Wi-Fi.

Wait, Icy Wind was boosted? Interesting. So is the real definition of Encourage more like "it provides a 1.3x boost to moves with a secondary effect that either negatively affects the opponent or positively affects the user"? Icy Wind's drop occurs 100% of the time, iirc, so percentages doesn't seem to matter. And Nitro Charge and Steel Wing were boosted, while Leaf Storm and Superpower were not.seems like a logical conclusion then, yes?

As far as I know, Icy Wind is programmed as a move which has a chance to lower the foe's speed (same effect ID as BubbleBeam, for example). The chance is just set at 100%.

I don't think it applies to moves like Giga Drain, even though restoring HP is a positive effect on the user.

Looking in the game's data to see which moves have a chance of an additional effect (even if it's set to 100%) should tell you which moves are boosted.

Incidentally, does Encourage boost all moves whose secondary effects are prevented with Shield Dust, such as Fake Out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)