B&W Research Thread

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
As I understand it, the normal catch rate rolls 4 times, puts them through some ugly formula, and compares the result to the target number. All 4 rolls have to succeed in order to catch it (the ball will shake once for each success). A critical catch only rolls once, which is why it only shakes once, but that one roll still has to succeed. It's still much more likely, but it's not guaranteed by any means.
I understood it differently. It rolls once, and depending on that roll it will shake the corresponding number of times.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Catch_rate
"Then generate 4 random numbers between 0 and 65535, inclusive. For each number, check whether it's less than b; if so, the ball shakes once. If any number is greater than or equal to b, the Pokémon immediately breaks free. If all four of the numbers are less than b, then the Pokémon is caught. Note that if a is 255 or greater, then b is 65535 or greater, and then the Pokémon is guaranteed to be caught."

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
What happens when a Pokemon with Liquid Ooze is Leech Seeded by a Pokemon, and that Pokemon switches out to a Pokemon with Magic Guard? Will it work the same as regular leech seed used on a normal Pokemon? I'm asking this because a Seeded Tentacruel damaged my Rankurusu earlier so I want to know if I should report it.

I'm sure I remember something about this from this thread, but I can't find it anywhere:
Do Power Items and Everstones work if the parents are of different nationalities?

Are there any Synchronize ability in the 5th Generation BW games? W/o the use of the Pokemon Transfer from 4th Gen; b/c I am trying to get an Adamant Zekrom and a Modest Reshiram w/o any success... BTW what is other good competitive natures for those two and the other Legends of this Generation?...

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
There are lots of synchronizers available in 5th gen. Munna, Musharna, Elgyem, Beheeyem, to name the four. All available well before your battle with the Elite Four and the dragons.

DeagleBeagle

Banned deucer.
Assurance according to smogon is supposed to always double if the foe has less than 100% health during the turn you attack it. However, on Pokemon Online, it appears 2 turns after, or more than 2 turns after, that Assurance does not double. I was wondering if someone could test it in-game, maybe it changed or smogon never mentioned when it doesn't double.

Assurance will deal 2x dmg if the foe was previously damaged in the same turn. In doubles its essentially the slower teammate deals more damage with Assurance, but in singles you can only replicate this effect if the foe was hit through recoil, switched into SR, etc.

Power Items, yes. Everstones, no.
I beg to freakin' differ. Yesterday, I bred a Poliwag and Vulpix, using females with their Dream World abilities that I got from the GTS. They were Japanese. The Poliwag I bred with a Floatzel, and the Vulpix I bred with a Drilbur. Both Floatzel and Drilbur came from my game. The Floatzel was Calm (it's one of my shinies), and held an Everstone. The Vulpix was Timid and held an Everstone. More often than not I would hatch Timid Vulpix and Calm Poliwag. Everstones work with international parents. Of course I didn't stay at this long enough to get any shinies out of the deal, just long enough to score stuff with good natures and the right abilities. Which wasn't that long, either.

Double battle glitch.
When I was fighting a double battle I was losing and only had one Pokemon and two eggs. Both of my active Pokemon had fainted. I was unable to do anything. I would try to send in my one remaining pokemon but the it would tell to send in another and I could not send in an egg. Has this happened to anyone else?

Double battle glitch.
When I was fighting a double battle I was losing and only had one Pokemon and two eggs. Both of my active Pokemon had fainted. I was unable to do anything. I would try to send in my one remaining pokemon but the it would tell to send in another and I could not send in an egg. Has this happened to anyone else?
Something similar happened to me in Triples in-game (pasted from the SGSA thread):

"My question is more of a possible bug report than a question. Basically, in my white version at route 7 where you have one of your first triple battles, two of my mons fainted on the same turn. I only had 2 left not on the field, and the game didn't let me select more than one of them to send in - meaning I was stuck on the team selection screen. It gave me some you can't select this pokemon message and I had to reset my ds after trying to select things to send out in every possible order.

Basically, has this happened to anyone else and is there an explanation? Sorry if this isn't quite a simple q, didn't know where else to post it."

For the double battle thing, appearantly you need to choose which of your fainted Pokémon you wish to swap with the active Pokémon you've selected before you select a second active Pokémon to send into battle.

So I've finally gotten started on testing things on the side. Let's start with Infiltrator (Which is still listed as Slip Through on the first post)

Infiltrator DOES work with:
Mist (Tested this in double grass on wild Vanillite at Cold Storage, using skill swap (From Reuniclus) on an infiltrator Whimsicott, then using charm while mist is up.)

Infiltrator DOES NOT work with:
Lucky Chant (Tested this in double grass with a skill swap chain going Whimsicott -> Reuniclus -> Throh, then using lucky chant on my own team and using Throh to use Storm Throw on... loads of my team, really. It didn't critical until after lucky chant faded.)
Wide Guard (This is more of a clarification from Setsuna's post. Tested this in double grass with wild Mienshao at Route 14, and an infiltrator Cottonee with Razor Leaf. Mienshao used wide guard the first turn, and Cottonee's Razor Leaf did not hit Mienshao or its partner, with notification that Wide Guard protected them.)
Endure (Tested in double grass using infiltrator Whimsicott against my Victini. It "endured the hit", as it said.)

Gonna do some sky drop tests in a bit. Which reminds me, I noticed the first page hasn't been updated since the end of last year. Is everyone who's able to update it busy with something else?

EDIT:

Okay, Sky Drop tests!

First off, Sky Drop actually damaged an opponent under the effects of telekinesis and under the effects of magnet rise. The former was tested in some double grass (Since telekinesis wore off when I did it in a single battle) and I had to enlist some help for the latter through a wifi battle.

Secondly, Smack Down provided some interesting results. When used on a levitate user, it allowed Sky Drop to hit. However, with a flying type, it still didn't do damage.

Can anybody test Freefall in Rotation Battles? I recently saw a Battle Recorder vid where a Wargle picked up a Kojondo with Freefall, but then Kojondo was rotated out, both Pokemon came down, and Kojondo took no damage.
This... is exactly what happened. Both at the Rotation Battle house in Opelucid City (Black) and in a wifi battle.

i keep hearing that gen 4 movesets are banned in online battles, can anyone confirm this? does this rule apply to infrared battles as well? i dont want to raise a hippodown with stealth rock only to find out that i cant actually use him in battles with my friends.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
i keep hearing that gen 4 movesets are banned in online battles, can anyone confirm this? does this rule apply to infrared battles as well? i dont want to raise a hippodown with stealth rock only to find out that i cant actually use him in battles with my friends.
This only applies to certain Pokemon using their Dream World abilities. For example, Gliscor gets Poison Heal from Gen V Dream World. However, since neither Stealth Rock nor Roost are learnable by Gliscor in Gen V, there is no way for Gliscor to learn either of those moves while having the Poison Heal ability.

Unless you plan on using Sand Power Hippowdon, you're completely allowed to have Stealth Rock on it.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Did a few tests in Random Match
1) Superpower Scizor and Tyranitar passed. Trick Latios and Rotom-W passed
2) Roost Scizor passed
3) Stealth Rock Hippowdon passed.

Also if you plan on battling through FC anything can pass anyways.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I could see certain tournament modes banning moves that aren't 5th gen learnable. But that's good to know random match doesn't seem to have that problem.

A small update on the GTS fail swear filter situation. For some reason, someone on Serebii is having trouble trying to trade his Archeops, pretty much exactly how we have trouble trading Cofagrigus, Skuntank, and Marshtomp. I cannot for the life of me see the possible profanity in "Archeops", though.

Hmm yeah I can't see it either.
I still think it's quite disappointing they didn't think of this while coding the profanity filter.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I really think anyone who has a problem with profanity needs to get the fuck over it, but regardless of personal opinions, not creating exceptions for the official names of Pokémon seems like a pretty ridiculous oversight.

breh

強いだね
My best guess to why you can't trade Archeops and Marshtomp is the "arch" portion of their name. I dunno, maybe it's some weird substitute for "crotch"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)