B&W Research Thread

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry to ask again, but just to clarify - by moves that can target do you mean a move like say Hydro Pump that targets, or also spread moves which you could concievably click on your teammate to use, thereby "targeting them" with it? I think what you mean is that if the SD/LR mon is in one of the spots which could be hit by any attack of the corresponding type, no matter which side of the field, it will absorb it totally and noone else will be hit by it. Correct me if that's wrong, though.
If it works the way it did in 4th gen, and I believe it does, moves that have multiple targets are not affected by Storm Drain and Lightningrod at all. In 5th gen, Pokemon with these abilities will nullify the damage to themselves and get a boost, but they don't stop any of the other targets being hit by the attack, friend or foe.

Thorhammer:

The way the accuracy and evasiveness stat stages work in this generation remains unchanged from the previous generation, according to tests I made which I would rather not explain in detail. The "NPC" you mentioned is very likely mistaken.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
Mimic, Sketch, Curse and Grudge ignored Substitude
Transform and Defog failed on a substitude (Defog failed to lower evasion and to remove Light Screen)
I've just done a test on my North American copy of Pokemon White that contradicts this. Defog fails to lower evasion against a target with Substitute, but it still removes Light Screen, at least when used on an ally with Substitute.

EDIT: Another contradiction, this time with the first post: my tests show that Acupressure does not work on an ally with Substitute. I have yet to test whether a Pokemon with a Substitute can successfully use Acupressure on itself.

Looks like we everything lines up: The last flag in the move data is definitely 'hits through Substitute'. Defog and Acupressure were the only two moves that didn't jibe with that before.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
If it works the way it did in 4th gen, and I believe it does, moves that have multiple targets are not affected by Storm Drain and Lightningrod at all. In 5th gen, Pokemon with these abilities will nullify the damage to themselves and get a boost, but they don't stop any of the other targets being hit by the attack, friend or foe.
Just to chime in, with a Thundrus / Landros lead in Battle Subway today (and many times in the past) I encountered a Zebstrika. Assuming it was Lightning Rod I Discharged instead of Thunderbolt-ing. Its ability activated, it got the SAtk Boost, and then the discharge hit the mon next to it like normal. Had the same experiences with Waterspout and Storm Drain in BS.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
The ability Simple now works differently. It used to double the effects of stat changes. Now it doubles the stat changes as they happen.

Serperior vs. Wild Audino:

Serperior uses Growth!
Serperior's Attack rose!
Serperior's Special Attack rose!
Audino uses Simple Beam! (Serperior's ability changes to Simple)

Serperior uses Growth!
Serperior's Attack sharply rose!
Serperior's Special Attack sharply rose!

Next use of Growth is another sharp rise. Then the next one is a normal rise as the stats max out at +6.

breh

強いだね
The ability Simple now works differently. It used to double the effects of stat changes. Now it doubles the stat changes as they happen.

Serperior vs. Wild Audino:

Serperior uses Growth!
Serperior's Attack rose!
Serperior's Special Attack rose!
Audino uses Simple Beam! (Serperior's ability changes to Simple)

Serperior uses Growth!
Serperior's Attack sharply rose!
Serperior's Special Attack sharply rose!

Next use of Growth is another sharp rise. Then the next one is a normal rise as the stats max out at +6.
Soooooo.... How does Baton Pass to a simple pokemon work, then? are the boosts doubled or do they stay as is?

^ Was about to ask that.
Is 'Drastically' meant for +3?

If I remember correctly, belly drum says it 'maxed it's attack', would simple + Tail Glow say maxed because of the +6?

^ Was about to ask that.
Is 'Drastically' meant for +3?

If I remember correctly, belly drum says it 'maxed it's attack', would simple + Tail Glow say maxed because of the +6?
Simple + Tail Glow wouldn't max the Attack of a Pokemon with reduced Attack. Belly Drum is more of a +12 boost than +6.

Simple with "+3"-turned-"+6" still yielded "rose drastically". Just tested with cotton guard Whimsicott against a wild Audino, US Black version.

----

Whimsicott used Leech Seed (so as to not boost early)
Audino used Simple Beam

Whimsicott used Cotton Guard
Whimsicott's defense rose drastically!

Then Whimsicott couldn't boost defense any more after the one use. So I guess drastically is just for beyond +2 (ignoring Belly Drum's special message)

Nope. Just checked, in some double grass (though now I realize I could have tested this anywhere). Don't feel like going word for word on moves but here's the gist of the testing:

Audino used Simple Beam on test dummy partner Serperior.
Swapped Audino out for Reuniclus
Reuniclus used Charm on Serperior.

"Serperior's attack severely fell!"

Mind you this is a -4 but I can't think of a way to -3 in one shot.

If you use U-Turn on a Pokémon that is holding a Red Card, the Red Card makes you switch out first, which means that you have NO CONTROL over what switches in. Sorry if this is known already.

Mind you this is a -4 but I can't think of a way to -3 in one shot.
Contrary Spinda Assisting a Tail Glow?

Bear in mind that I haven't tested that specifically, but I'd be surprised if they doubled. They should stay as is.
So Simple Pokémon are no longer good baton pass chain recipients? That's sad... No more Numel sweeps... (Well, assuming it is found to work this way if someone tests it.)

I've tested whether Transform copies the targets catch rate in Generation V and it doesn't. I tested this by having a Ditto transform into a Ratatta (255 catch rate) then got it down to 1/133 HP through False Swipe, paralyzed it and then used a Dusk Ball at night (3.5 multiplier). I then substituted all the values into the catch rate formula on Bulbapedia (substituting the Ditto's catch rate with Ratatta's) and got 'b' to be 99075 which would normally be a guaranteed catch. However Ditto broke out of my first Dusk Ball, meaning that it did not use Ratatta's catch rate.

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
OK, I've got a couple of questions:

1. I've been reading conflicting reports about Victory Star activating for ally Pokémon even if Victini is on the bench (not necessarily rotated out). Is this true?
  2. Does the freeze counter reset upon switching out & in like the new sleep one does? Outside of using something like savestates, I have no idea on how this could be tested.

Can someone confirm any/both of these? Thanks in advance.

Death Phenomeno:
1. A Pokémon with Victory Star will raise the accuracy of attacks by itself and its allies even if the Pokémon is rotated out.
2. There is no freeze counter. As a frozen Pokémon takes its turn, it will be defrosted at a 20% chance.

Ah right! Thanks guys, didn't think about that (especially stockpile)

Just tested a stockpile X 3 drop. It also brought up "severely fell"

So yeah, severely fell goes with -3 or more.

I might test this later, but can't at the moment, so I'm putting this up for a test in the meantime: Does Mold Breaker allow the splash damage from Flame Burst to damage a Pokémon with Magic Guard? This would require some Skill Swapping, since nothing with Mold Breaker gets Flame Burst.

There may be other situations like this, but I can't think of them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)